• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Announces Windows 10

Yeah that sounds pretty damn long to go from Win 10 build to another. It only took me 30-45 minutes to complete. Long but not 8-9 hours long like others in here.

About the same that took me too.

But I wonder, since they are talking about updating win10 constantly, does that mean those long new build installs, or somehow just patching one build until it becomes another? Or by the time they finish, win10 will be a very strip OS, and pretty much everything will be an app updated separately, and the OS itself will require only updates every now and then to support new stuff?

About the same that took me too.

But I wonder, since they are talking about updating win10 constantly, does that mean those long new build installs, or somehow just patching one build until it becomes another? Or by the time they finish, win10 will be a very strip OS, and pretty much everything will be an app updated separately, and the OS itself will require only updates every now and then to support new stuff?
Depends what you're talking about. If we're talking about current in-development Win 10 then they'll be pushing out builds when they're in a somewhat stable state to Fast ring users. If we're talking retail release Windows 10 months down the line then we're not going to see huge Service Pack like patches during its lifetime and more smaller patches with new features and fixes as they are finished.

dLMN8R, is anyone ever going to fix the "window titlebar text not changing colors against a dark window border color" issue?

I figure after two OS revisions someone would have caught that by now but it's still not working without outside hacks, even on the new build.

I also want to know about this. It's a pretty embarrassing oversight.

The upgrade from 10041 to 10049 is definitely taking forever. Installing it from the ISO is much, much faster. In fact, I almost want to set up a second VM, while the upgrade is running and I'd bet that it's would be done quicker, including the download of the ISO.

FyreWulff

Anyone else not being successful in getting Project Spartan to launch?

At first it just showed the window then closed itself. Now I can get up to it showing the browser chrome, but nothing actually loads, it doesn't respond to anything and it closes itself.

Anyone else not being successful in getting Project Spartan to launch?

At first it just showed the window then closed itself. Now I can get up to it showing the browser chrome, but nothing actually loads, it doesn't respond to anything and it closes itself.
Is the process running in Task Manager? If it is try shutting it off there. Otherwise a restart would be the best solution.

Depends what you're talking about. If we're talking about current in-development Win 10 then they'll be pushing out builds when they're in a somewhat stable state to Fast ring users. If we're talking retail release Windows 10 months down the line then we're not going to see huge Service Pack like patches during its lifetime and more smaller patches with new features and fixes as they are finished.

I meant the final version, whenever a new feature that would require a new build is released...

Trying to make it more clear: At which point can a certain build can stopped being able to be patched into another and requires a whole new ISO to be downloaded?

I'm sure the current upgrade experience is not how they intend to regularly deploy updates in the final version. but will be arrive at a point where every single update will be patched, or eventually there will be updates that require the whole "reinstalling" thing?

jstripes

Banned
The upgrade from 10041 to 10049 is definitely taking forever. Installing it from the ISO is much, much faster. In fact, I almost want to set up a second VM, while the upgrade is running and I'd bet that it's would be done quicker, including the download of the ISO.

This is something that puzzles me.

Installing/updating Windows 10 takes so long it feels like we're back in the '90s. Even on a computer with an SSD.

I meant the final version, whenever a new feature that would require a new build is released...

Trying to make it more clear: At which point can a certain build can stopped being able to be patched into another and requires a whole new ISO to be downloaded?

I'm sure the current upgrade experience is not how they intend to regularly deploy updates in the final version. but will be arrive at a point where every single update will be patched, or eventually there will be updates that require the whole "reinstalling" thing?
I believe they said that everything would be patched through Windows Update unless it's a Windows App. Basically what we've gone through for previous Windows versions.

dLMN8R

I think there are some setup bugs making upgrades inadvertently take longer. I've seen some reports internally.

As for Windowing theming, I bet there's more coming, but I don't know anything specific. There's a lot of stuff that's already changed (I think) but it just hasn't made its way to the main builds yet.

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.
Anyone else have keys on the keyboard switch? Since I've updated to 10049 when I try and type @ I get ". I have to hit " to get @. It makes typing an email very frustrating.

jstripes

Banned
Anyone else have keys on the keyboard switch? Since I've updated to 10049 when I try and type @ I get ". I have to hit " to get @. It makes typing an email very frustrating.

Are you Canadian?

Sometimes when you install Windows as Canadian English, the keyboard will randomly switch itself to Canadian French. It's an annoying quirk. Check your keyboard settings.

This is something that puzzles me.

Installing/updating Windows 10 takes so long it feels like we're back in the '90s. Even on a computer with an SSD.

I really wouldn't go that far. The time it takes to upgrade to 10049 is definitely an anomaly. I've installed and upgraded W10 a lot of times and it was usually very quick, be it in a VM or on real hardware.

Case in point, I already have a second VM running in parallel to my other VM that is still busy with the upgrade. Like I said in my post before, it was quicker to download the ISO and do a fresh install. The upgrade is still at 46%.

Okay, so I downloaded and ran the upgrade; used the ISO, and elected to have my personal files stick around. But... I suspect I have an older or incorrect version or something, since there's no start menu (that I can activate), the "do you want to use Cortana" prompt appears to be stuck open, and Project Spartan is nowhere to be seen. Any tips?

DarkFlow

Banned
I didn't have any problems with updating to 10049 from the last build. Only took about 15 mins or so, maybe less. I did install it on a EVO 850 SSD, so maybe that helped.

Ah, nevermind, finally hunted down Windows Update (should really be in regular control panel too, IMO). Just need to install some updates and should be good to go.

clav

I didn't have any problems with updating to 10049 from the last build. Only took about 15 mins or so, maybe less. I did install it on a EVO 850 SSD, so maybe that helped.

Installed mine on a SATA 500 GB mechanical drive and upgraded from the previous build in less than an hour.

Must be hardware related.

My copy runs on a salvaged computer that is 7 years old.

I couldn't even update to 10049. Failed twice.

I'll wait for the next build.

They need to implement the selective Windows Update in the new UI, though. http://images.knowhow.com/Computing/windows7select-update.png

It's all or nothing right now (unless I missed the option).

Non selective updates can be a good way for keeping everyone always updated, but I dunno if power users would like that, so yeah, there should be an option for that.

Any one here running W10 on a Surface pro 3 also have this perpetual System Hardware Update - ‎27/‎03/‎2015 that keeps coming back whenever there's something else to update?

The worst part is that it actually installs everytime and prompt me for a restart...

I wonder if that's related to why sometimes the Surface Hub app refuses to open (that was the firm update which enabled more steps in the pressure calibration tool for the pen)

mm04

So does a full clean re-installation need to happen once this goes to full release or will it be a nice and easy transition if you've got the beta installed now?

So does a full clean re-installation need to happen once this goes to full release or will it be a nice and easy transition if you've got the beta installed now?

Plan is you be able to upgrade just like we've been upgrading to new builds now.

Thanks for the info. I just built a new PC a few weeks back, so I was figuring why not try it? Also, may as well install it on my Surface Pro 2 as well.
Don't install it on your Surface Pro 2. None of the updates take the type cover into account which leads to weird issues and it kills battery life. Every update fixes two things but adds another annoying bug.

scently

Ok this problem is really bugging me and I need some help. I can't increase the volume of my pc past 37 when I have my earphone plugged in. It goes right up to 100 when using the pc's speakers but the moment I plug in the earbuds, it goes down to 37 and just refuses to increase. Anyone know any solution to this? This started in the current build of W10.

That's weird.

A handful of tech sites are reporting that on the 10051 leaked build the metro file picker is gone in favor of the good and old win32 file dialog (which I hope gets replaced by universal app soon)... But I'm positive it's been this way since at least the January preview...

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.
Are you Canadian?

Sometimes when you install Windows as Canadian English, the keyboard will randomly switch itself to Canadian French. It's an annoying quirk. Check your keyboard settings.

Nope. American. Enterprise install for testing.

The Music Preview app looks like a worsened version of the current Music app XD

I know it's still a preview, but seeing the Video Preview already ahead as far as UI go is kinda worrisome given their track record with the phone app.

I was kinda hopping that they would make the app more like the xbone one, I love that design and seems better suited for touch than the current one, plus it's the only one who shows music videos where available... Well, hope that at least they don't replace the xbone app for a lesser option.

Disable it and then reboot or log out and back in.
I forgot to mention that part, sorry. When you disable it it works as you'd expect it to until you restart Windows at which point it's off completely until it's turned back on.

Uh, just for the record this is somehow magically working as it should.
I didn't change anything, it just started working and I'm not sure how or why.

Whatever, as long as it's okay now.

I do have a question, though. I have no desire to have the majority of the Metro apps installed (particularly Music, Videos, and Photos) because I have better alternatives for all of them. Right clicking their tiles doesn't show an uninstall option and trying to access them through Settings or Store leaves the Uninstall button greyed out.
Is there any way to delete them from my system?

Uh, just for the record this is somehow magically working as it should.
I didn't change anything, it just started working and I'm not sure how or why.

Whatever, as long as it's okay now.

I do have a question, though. I have no desire to have the majority of the Metro apps installed (particularly Music, Videos, and Photos) because I have better alternatives for all of them. Right clicking their tiles doesn't show an uninstall option and trying to access them through Settings or Store leaves the Uninstall button greyed out.
Is there any way to delete them from my system?

I assume they'll be like previous built-in Windows apps, you won't be able to uninstall them.

(unless I'm missing something you've never been able to uninstall the applications such as Calculator, Win Media Player, default photo viewer, etc?)

clav

What's up with the GUI for network management (i.e. ncpa.cpl)?

I can't change IP settings for any of the network connections through there. Properties option is greyed out.

In before lurn2netsh brah.

I assume they'll be like previous built-in Windows apps, you won't be able to uninstall them.

(unless I'm missing something you've never been able to uninstall the applications such as Calculator, Win Media Player, default photo viewer, etc?)

Yeah, that's done through the Turn off Windows Features menu in the Control Panel in 7 and earlier. Windows 10 is getting rid of the Control Panel though.

In windows 8 I could uninstall Photos and Music and Videos by right clicking their tiles but they can't be removed in 10.

danthefan

So, how is the technical build at the moment?

I'm on Windows 7 at the moment and my PC needs a fresh Windows install at this stage. Would it be crazy to go straight to the Windows 10 preview and use that exclusively until the proper version is released? I assume once it's released there would be no problem going from Windows 10 preview to Windows 10 full version?

Or is this a daft idea?

HowZatOZ

Banned
So, how is the technical build at the moment?

I'm on Windows 7 at the moment and my PC needs a fresh Windows install at this stage. Would it be crazy to go straight to the Windows 10 preview and use that exclusively until the proper version is released? I assume once it's released there would be no problem going from Windows 10 preview to Windows 10 full version?

Or is this a daft idea?
It is best not to use a preview build as your main OS just incase it kills itself and takes everything with it. In saying that I'm running it as my primary OS, but I have nothing but my OS on that SSD so it's all gravy.

I'd recommend upgrading to windows 8.1 and just wait for proper release.

danthefan

It is best not to use a preview build as your main OS just incase it kills itself and takes everything with it. In saying that I'm running it as my primary OS, but I have nothing but my OS on that SSD so it's all gravy.

So I've two hard drives also, I'd be backing everything I needed up onto the 2TB regular drive and installing Windows 10 onto my SSD, if I went with it. Still not sure. How have you found 10 so far?

I'd recommend upgrading to windows 8.1 and just wait for proper release[/B].

Was thinking about that but just don't think I'm willing to pay for 8.1 when 10 is coming out so soon and will be free.

HowZatOZ

Banned
So I've two hard drives also, I'd be backing everything I needed up onto the 2TB regular drive and installing Windows 10 onto my SSD, if I went with it. Still not sure. How have you found 10 so far?

Was thinking about that but just don't think I'm willing to pay for 8.1 when 10 is coming out so soon and will be free.

The free factor is definitely a big push to just taking up the preview. Honestly if you are careful with your second hard drive then you should be fine. I'm currently running four hard drives plus my OS SSD and I haven't had a problem yet.

In regards to experience, WIndows 10 is pretty damn awesome. Its basically Windows 7 but fresher, with a dash of Windows 8 thrown in. Everything is smooth, runs well and I haven't had any real complaints outside of my top USB ports not taking my Xbox controller now and my back two ports being dead since the latest update.

Mr_Zombie

Leaks about build 10051 say there's a new version of Mail and Calendar apps. And Calendar app will finally support Google Calendar again. Yay!

Leaks about build 10051 say there's a new version of Mail and Calendar apps. And Calendar app will finally support Google Calendar again. Yay!

Both app also look really great. I like the design. I just wish they weren't separate. Right now, when you click on the mail icon in calendar, it opens the mail app and in mail it opens the calendar app, when you click the calendar icon. It makes sense, but I'd rather have them integrated in one app.

Top Bottom