• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Announces Windows 10

Guri

I'm wondering... now that Universal Apps are a thing and with windowed support, I wonder if software developers will try and release them more often (even with a Win32 mode). From what I see, it's not necessary to be on the Windows Store. I know Chrome already has its UAP mode, but I'm not sure if it's good or not.

Delivering a single unified Store experience in Windows 10

In the latest builds of the Windows 10 Technical Preview, you can see our unified Store experience coming together.

Early last month, we added “Movies & TV” to the navigation in the Store Beta. However you couldn’t access any content. We also released preview versions of the new Music and Videos apps for Windows 10 that will integrate directly with the Store.

Starting today (rolling out over the course of the next 24 hours), we’re turning on the Movies & TV page in the Store Beta. If you are a Windows Insider running the latest build of the Windows 10 Technical Preview – you will now be able to browse and search for videos, rent or purchase movies & TV shows in the Store Beta and play them in the Video Preview app. If you are like me and have already accumulated a massive digital collection in Xbox Video, your collection will appear in the Video Preview app and you can begin watching your favorite previously purchased movies & TV shows from your collection. You will still have access to them on all other Windows devices and your Xbox One.

So are the min/max/close buttons supposed to be placeholders or are they final? They're like gigantic and really ugly (yes I know they want it to be touch friendly but there has to be a better design they can come up with).

So are the min/max/close buttons supposed to be placeholders or are they final? They're like gigantic and really ugly (yes I know they want it to be touch friendly but there has to be a better design they can come up with).

I hated them from the first build on. So damn ugly.

dLMN8R

You shouldn't consider any of the UI you're currently seeing in builds to be final. Button inconsistency and ugliness is unsurprisingly one of the biggest pieces of (visual) feedback submitted so far.

Latest (leaked) build hides apps from the taskbar when in tablet mode, which then becomes just for navigation and Cortana.

http://www.theverge.com/2015/4/10/8384119/windows-10-touch-mode-features

I don't remember where, but I recall seeing an video of either a concept or from a UI focused branch where this happened and a back button would appear on the taskbar as well, so I guess that's what's coming next.

I saw the recycle bin icon from the other supposed leak. Looks like they were real after all.

The Cowboy

Latest (leaked) build hides apps from the taskbar when in tablet mode, which then becomes just for navigation and Cortana.

I don't remember where, but I recall seeing an video of either a concept or from a UI focused branch where this happened and a back button would appear on the taskbar as well, so I guess that's what's coming next.
Not liking how everything is smaller in the tablet mode over Windows 8.1 in the current builds, it looks so bunched up towards the top due to this and looks really weird. Really hoping they work on the size/layout so its similar to Windows 8.1 when in tablet mode (so the tiles fill more space up), and i hope you can turn off the recently used list to.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?

I REALLY hope they add a way to access the Start screen by swiping from the left or right edges of the screen. Having to move down to the lower corner to access Start is very uncomfortable, especially in portrait mode.

FyreWulff

Weird ass bug that I'll file for 10049, but seeing if anyone else here has managed to get it.

It seems when I let Windows idle.. it'll just stop letting anything spawn new content?. Like, if I leave Skype up, Skype will stop updating with new messages, and as soon as you click in the window I'll get the spinning circle of doom. Chrome/IE/Firefox will open new tabs, but they'll all be blank, and existing tabs can no longer load new sites or go anywhere. If you try to bring up Task Manager, it'll let me do it, then when i click in the Task Manager window it'll fade out too. All network activity dies.

The Windows UI itself will still work, but as soon as you launch anything, same stuff happens.

Also, if you force shutdown out of this state, Windows doesn't even complain that it was forcibly shut down, it just boots up.

clav

Weird ass bug that I'll file for 10049, but seeing if anyone else here has managed to get it.

It seems when I let Windows idle.. it'll just stop letting anything spawn new content?. Like, if I leave Skype up, Skype will stop updating with new messages, and as soon as you click in the window I'll get the spinning circle of doom. Chrome/IE/Firefox will open new tabs, but they'll all be blank, and existing tabs can no longer load new sites or go anywhere. If you try to bring up Task Manager, it'll let me do it, then when i click in the Task Manager window it'll fade out too. All network activity dies.

The Windows UI itself will still work, but as soon as you launch anything, same stuff happens.

Also, if you force shutdown out of this state, Windows doesn't even complain that it was forcibly shut down, it just boots up.

Something is up with the network stack protocol.

In my copy, I can't even change the TCP/IP settings in the ncpa.cpl GUI.

All the options for each connection are greyed out.

M3d10n

Installing W10 on the Lumia 530 was quite a hurdle:

- It needs a little over 900MBs of free space on the internal storage. The 530 only has 4GB of internal storage and only has 1.2GB free after a factory reset. Mine had only 600MBs available and there was no way to reclaim more space, since it was all occupied by system stuff. Had to factory-reset and cancel the updates for the built-in apps in hope it would allow me to update.

- First it updated me from Cyan to Denin (which MS still hasn't released for my model because reasons), so it took much longer there. I almost ran out of space again, BTW, and only managed to go through with the install after uninstalling everything I could from internal storage and rebooting.

It looks nice and works better than I expected on a 512MB device, but things are very rough in certain areas. Microsoft needs to find a way to use the SD card to install the update for these 4GB devices.

-- EDIT --
Lol, the feedback app crashes constantly. Submitting feedback takes quite a bit of luck.

jelly

How does everyone feel about Windows 10 on phones changing the UI and Universal Apps becoming the norm ?

I was a big fan of Zune/WP7/WP8 in many ways and the one handed approach of the UI stands alone but now it looks like they are falling in line with iOS and Android which arguably might get them more apps but the user experience looks to suffer. Not liking it so far.

Two articles on the matter.

http://pocketnow.com/2015/04/13/windows-10-for-phones-build-10051

http://www.neowin.net/news/microsoft-is-moving-away-from-its-own-design-language-mobile-apps-go-classic

Had to switch back to Chrome for the time being until the next build features an updated Project Spartan (hopefully.) Kinda got fed up with the constant freezes and ten tabs from hours ago appearing after launching it. I really like the direction they're going with it. Just keep polishing that baby up.

How does everyone feel about Windows 10 on phones changing the UI and Universal Apps becoming the norm ?

I was a big fan of Zune/WP7/WP8 in many ways and the one handed approach of the UI stands alone but now it looks like they are falling in line with iOS and Android which arguably might get them more apps but the user experience looks to suffer. Not liking it so far.

Two articles on the matter.

http://pocketnow.com/2015/04/13/windows-10-for-phones-build-10051

http://www.neowin.net/news/microsoft-is-moving-away-from-its-own-design-language-mobile-apps-go-classic

While I think a number of those features WILL be in final W10 (there's no way they'd remove live tiles from Mail/Calendar--right?), in general, I wholeheartedly agree.

The design language in W10 for phones can be confusing, redundant, and unintuitive. Lots of pivot/panorama design has been replaced by tabs (functionally, though not skeumorphically). Some of this is, I'm sure, because it's in an early state, but it is still worrying. It makes zero sense to have to push a button at the very top of the screen to get to a section within the app, whereas before I could simply swipe left or right to move around.

A LOT of the design has actually been moved to the top of the screen, and I think it suffers for it. I hate having to REACH for basic functions, when I used to be able to pivot or the button was previously at the bottom of the screen.

The Photos app is straight up butchered at the moment. It's basically been given the Xbox Music treatment: slow to load, crashes, and not easy to navigate.

I will say that the OneDrive app seems to have a nice compromise: it utilizes the side panel/menu via hamburger, but also allows you to pivot/swipe through the different sections.

Tablo

The UI changes sound apocalyptic, I'm legit scared they've completed fucked up what was good about Metro.
I cry for my future probably windows phone flagship. I liked all the swipe/gesture based navigation, it was simple and intuitive, menus all over the place in hard to reach areas...
Ugh.

The UI changes sound apocalyptic, I'm legit scared they've completed fucked up what was good about Metro.
I cry for my future probably windows phone flagship. I liked all the swipe/gesture based navigation, it was simple and intuitive, menus all over the place in hard to reach areas...
Ugh.

The good thing is, if the W10 Phone feedback app is anything to go by, they know we're not happy. Last I checked, complaints about loss of pivot/panorama were at the top.

This is cool, deep dive into virtual desktops, how they work, and some gifs showing the latest animations and functionality of it all:

http://blogs.windows.com/bloggingwi...in-windows-10-the-power-of-windowsmultiplied/

It also notes that there will be options to configure how things appear, but they're looking for people to vote on what becomes the default within the OS :)
My god, virtual desktops will totally change my life at work.

I might push to get a SP4 for work when it comes out as it'll probably be the only way for me to get Win 10 at work for awhile.

This is cool, deep dive into virtual desktops, how they work, and some gifs showing the latest animations and functionality of it all:

http://blogs.windows.com/bloggingwi...in-windows-10-the-power-of-windowsmultiplied/

It also notes that there will be options to configure how things appear, but they're looking for people to vote on what becomes the default within the OS :)

Uuuuuugh, this will be so useful for me. Editing desktop, Gaming desktop, Photography desktop, etc.

maeh2k

I loved the virtual desktops in OS X 10.6. I had them set up as a 4x3 grid. Using hot corners, you could switch between desktops very quickly. And you could set up applications to always open in a specific desktop.

Hope Windows will support a similarly persistent setup. Don't want to start from scratch every time I reboot.

Nice! I wasn't aware of the shortcuts for creating/switching between desktops.

If they ever add the option for fixed desktops each with its own selection of pinned items on the taskbar (and perhaps even files on the desktop itself) this feature would be perfection.

I loved the virtual desktops in OS X 10.6. I had them set up as a 4x3 grid. Using hot corners, you could switch between desktops very quickly. And you could set up applications to always open in a specific desktop.

Hope Windows will support a similarly persistent setup. Don't want to start from scratch every time I reboot.

add that to user voice if it isn't there already.

They need to fix the damn "enter your most recent credentials" notification bug already, shit is annoying.
Yep. It's annoying and so is the bug that's occasionally forgetting you're part of a home group and you have to reenable sharing.

Feedback app is working as many things have been worked on so far. I'm sure they're very aware. Keep up voting issues.

Jonnax

Seems like they've updated the Calender:
jMGGJ5e.png

Seems like they've updated the Calender:
jMGGJ5e.png

Yeah, they did that a while ago (or at least via reg change from your screenshot). But what really annoys me is that it doesn't show other time zones without opening the clock app. I use that feature all the time! *I'm the 0.04%*

clav

Yeah, they did that a while ago (or at least via reg change from your screenshot). But what really annoys me is that it doesn't show other time zones without opening the clock app. I use that feature all the time! *I'm the 0.04%*

Doesn't it say "Additional Clocks"?

Probably can add another time zone through there.

I use the clock feature, too.

Cipherr

Windows 10 really is shaping up nicely, I can't remember the last time I was legit excited for an OS.

Same here. I still don't like the tiles on the right side of the start menu; hopefully those can be removed (And that cortana search on the taskbar too). Outside of that everything in that video looked splendid. I will happily move to this from Windows 7.

Really glad they got their shit together.

Top Bottom