• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Announces Windows 10

Wanted to check in and see how this is coming along.

Would it be worth downloading and running at this point? Or should I wait for the full release? I'm happy on 8.1.

I have a 2012 HP Envy Laptop - I'm curious as to how nice it'll play with drivers, etc. I'll do some reading up on specific drivers etc for my laptop.

clav

Latest build acts like a Xbox One beta dashboard when resuming from a fast shutdown.

Programs stop launching. System won't restart.

Need a new build soon.

Struct09

Wanted to check in and see how this is coming along.

Would it be worth downloading and running at this point? Or should I wait for the full release? I'm happy on 8.1.

I have a 2012 HP Envy Laptop - I'm curious as to how nice it'll play with drivers, etc. I'll do some reading up on specific drivers etc for my laptop.

I'd wait until it's released. If you want to poke around and see what it's like, consider running it in a VM to check it out.

dLMN8R

Yeah, they did that a while ago (or at least via reg change from your screenshot). But what really annoys me is that it doesn't show other time zones without opening the clock app. I use that feature all the time! *I'm the 0.04%*

I'm pretty sure that the clock will show multiple time zones just like 8.1 and earlier by the time it ships.

dLMN8R

New build!

http://blogs.windows.com/bloggingwi...-technical-preview-build-10061-now-available/

Includes one item I know people here asked about earlier (running apps appearing on the taskbar in tablet mode):

Continuum improvements: The Taskbar is now more optimized for tablets. Entering Tablet Mode causes the Start button, Cortana, and the Task View buttons to all grow in size and space out to be more touchable. Items in the Notification area also widen to improve touchability. Also, pinned and running apps are removed by default to reduce clutter and simplify the experience. Start and Task View remain available for launching and switching. If you still prefer to see apps on your taskbar, there is an option under Tablet Mode in Settings to turn them back on. We also now offer a setting to boot directly into Tablet Mode. For tablets under 10 inches, this is the default behavior.

Other good stuff too.

clav

Microsoft needs to get rid of that stupid first time login screen.

At least make it some sort of animation with fake progress bars or something.

Edit: New start menu transition. Annoying that the taskbar has to redraw itself after closing it.

Jzero

Wow the first good build in a while. Everything seems super smooth.

Btw those of you using smaller SSD's may want to do a disk cleanup after every successful build since there's like 40GB of old files after updating to a new build.

clav

Improvement although still needs to beat Chrome.

ERByZw7.png

DarkFlow

Banned
Anyone know if this Fix's Xbox one controller support? The last few builds it would sometimes drop the driver, and when it did work it mirrored LT to RT so they were both LT.

Pooya

Focusing on benchmarks shouldn't be their goal anyway, after a point it's fast enough. Now user experience has little to do with benchmarks. Chrome has no care for battery drain for example so it has the best benchmark results, it's a desktop browser, google doesn't care about portable windows devices, they have android tablet/chromebooks for that. That's pretty important but no blog considers those things in reviews. Just some benchmarks x > y that's it. IE11 is the only usable windows browser on laptop/tablet right now, I hope they keep it that way with Spartan.

List of known issues with 10061:
  • We know this one will be a bit painful but there is a bug with this build in which Win32 (desktop) apps won't launch from the Start menu. The workaround is to use search to find and launch these apps and pin them to your taskbar for quick access.
  • The Windows Store Beta (grey tile) and Project Spartan get unpinned after upgrading. You can re-pin them to your Taskbar from All apps on your Start menu.
  • The version of the Mail and Calendar apps included in this build (17.4008.42281.0) have a known issue that causes every typed letter to appear twice. Which might be funny if it weren't so irritating. We have fixed this issue with updated versions of the apps (17.4016.42291.0) available in the Windows Store Beta (grey tile). If you don't open the Mail and Calendar apps within the first 15 minutes after logging in to your device for the first time after upgrading and your device is connected to the Internet, the apps should update automatically. You can also go into the Store Beta and check for updates manually at any time.
  • Cortana will highlight things it will be able to help users with, but some of these features are not yet implemented and we are working to deliver them soon.
  • There is a known issue where you might see a black screen with only your mouse cursor during login/logout. We have a fix for this coming via WU.
  • Downloading music in the Xbox Music and Music Preview apps is currently broken. We also have a fix for this coming via WU.
  • When you minimize an app playing audio, it may stop playing once its minimized.
  • In Project Spartan, no selection highlight appears when selecting text in the address box. You can right click in the address box to cut/copy/paste and it will work as expected. We also have a fix for this coming via WU.
  • Magnifier does not work when you put it into docked mode. We will also have a fix for this coming via WU.

Some nasty bugs there. Think I'll hold off for now.

Not launching desktop apps from the start screen is really annoying, specially since the search is completely borked for me as well and never find the apps I want to open.

Jzero

Not launching desktop apps from the start screen is really annoying, specially since the search is completely borked for me as well and never find the apps I want to open.
What I'm doing is right clicking and launching them as an administrator

I still can't believe we're shipping these out. It's amazing to me, and really neat that you all can see more transparently an OS being created.

Ushay

I still can't believe we're shipping these out. It's amazing to me, and really neat that you all can see more transparently an OS being created.

Looking back at MS history, this is probably the best way for MS to deploy their products, and it seems like it's a winning formula too. It's very interesting how MS has shifted its design ethic to listening almost on a 1 to 1 basis to their customers needs when developing (on the consumer side anyway).

Can we expect the start menu to shrink again, once you remove all tiles? I think the last time it behaved like that before it was rewritten (the last 2014 build?).

Na91EV0.png

Looking back at MS history, this is probably the best way for MS to deploy their products, and it seems like it's a winning formula too. It's very interesting how MS has shifted its design ethic to listening almost on a 1 to 1 basis to their customers needs when developing (on the consumer side anyway).

Yeah, I wish someone would write an investigative longform article about it.

nubbe

They needed to have a massive shakeup with two massive failure so close to each other and the internet is about to make applications platform independent

Windows is not a platform anyone need anymore, or at least in the coming 5-10 years

They needed to have a massive shakeup with two massive failure so close to each other and the internet is about to make applications platform independent

Windows is not a platform anyone need anymore, or at least in the coming 5-10 years

And that shows, with developers ignoring the Windows Store, despite the relatively large install base.

clav

HTML5TEST says IE11 is spartan with the same score

That's weird since when I try to run regsvr32 mshtml.dll on the previous build, it didn't register because it was missing.

I thought they already split the engine between the two browsers.

edit: You liar. The scores are different.

94JyTaA.png

tjohn86

Is it possible to make the background for icons on the start menu transparent as well? The flat blue and black backgrounds look like total crap.

Loving the preview so far though.

dLMN8R

Can we expect the start menu to shrink again, once you remove all tiles? I think the last time it behaved like that before it was rewritten (the last 2014 build?).

Na91EV0.png

I'm pretty sure you can do that now in the build released yesterday.

The start menu won't automatically shrink down to nothing just because you un-pin everything (since there are some scenarios that would screw up, for example un-pinning everything to start from scratch, etc.)

But if you do un-pin everything, you can then resize tiles area of the menu down to nothing.

Ake

Neo Member
I'm pretty sure you can do that now in the build released yesterday.

The start menu won't automatically shrink down to nothing just because you un-pin everything (since there are some scenarios that would screw up, for example un-pinning everything to start from scratch, etc.)

But if you do un-pin everything, you can then resize tiles area of the menu down to nothing.

Can you help me dLMN8R? I'm trying to find the latest update but I can't do anything on the update screen because it's just blank except for the loading circle .

This is how it looks:
update_bugged.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

On build 10049 btw

Top Bottom