• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Announces Windows 10

I'm pretty sure you can do that now in the build released yesterday.

The start menu won't automatically shrink down to nothing just because you un-pin everything (since there are some scenarios that would screw up, for example un-pinning everything to start from scratch, etc.)

But if you do un-pin everything, you can then resize tiles area of the menu down to nothing.

Huh. I didn't realize that you could manually resize the menu! Thanks for the tip, it looks much better now.

dLMN8R

Can you help me dLMN8R? I'm trying to find the latest update but I can't do anything on the update screen because it's just blank except for the loading circle .

This is how it looks:
update_bugged.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

On build 10049 btw

Try this.

1) open admin-elevated command prompt (right-click cmd / run as admin)
2) net stop wuauserv
3) Delete everything under c:\windows\softwaredistribution
4) net start wuauserv

Try Windows Update again

Huh. I didn't realize that you could manually resize the menu! Thanks for the tip, it looks much better now.

Just added in the latest build :)

http://blogs.windows.com/bloggingwi...-technical-preview-build-10061-now-available/

Start, Taskbar, and Action Center improvements: This build introduces the new black system theme across the Start menu, Taskbar, and Action Center. The Start menu and Taskbar now have transparency and you can also resize the Start menu. We’ve also enabled support for AutoColor which pulls the primary color from your desktop background. In the Settings app under Personalization, you can adjust the color of Start, Taskbar, and Action Center as well as transparency. Check these settings out and let us know what you think. And based on your feedback, we have moved the power button to the bottom left from the top right of the Start menu to make it more accessible.

Mr_Zombie

OK, does anyone has this error when both Start menu and Search closes automatically by themselves after 2-3 seconds? It's really annoying. :/

EDIT: And sometimes Start, Search, Notifications and other panels from the taskbar stops opening at all for few minutes.

dLMN8R

Start is fairly busted still. Lots of cases where it won't launch, closes unexpectedly, opening unexpectedly, etc. All known issues, many which have already been fixed or will be fixed soon.

Seventy70

I kind of don't like the way some of the metro windows look. It looks half assed like you are emulating a phone menu inside of a window.

Ake

Neo Member
Try this.

1) open admin-elevated command prompt (right-click cmd / run as admin)
2) net stop wuauserv
3) Delete everything under c:\windows\softwaredistribution
4) net start wuauserv

Try Windows Update again

Thanks man! It actually worked!

Start is fairly busted still. Lots of cases where it won't launch, closes unexpectedly, opening unexpectedly, etc. All known issues, many which have already been fixed or will be fixed soon.

In the feedback app when choosing recent i think it is broken. I noticed when i choose steam for giving feedback that the topics aren't steam related. It worked before but since about two updates ago it has been broken when the feedback app got more updates.

Installed after work last night. It installed a lot faster for me compared to the last one which took a couple of hours.

I like the new transparency in the start menu as well as the ability to resize. The new recycle bin icon is nice to see. I like it.

The mail/calendar app is broken on the store for me. Is there a work around to sideload instead?

clav

Installed after work last night. It installed a lot faster for me compared to the last one which took a couple of hours.

I like the new transparency in the start menu as well as the ability to resize. The new recycle bin icon is nice to see. I like it.

The mail/calendar app is broken on the store for me. Is there a work around to sideload instead?

Mail app crashes for me. Looks better than the current one from the glimpses I got.

Probably the same with calendar. Haven't tried yet.

Mail app crashes for me. Looks better than the current one from the glimpses I got.

Probably the same with calendar. Haven't tried yet.
I wonder why this particular app has so buggy on the majority of the tech preview builds. It's not even an essential part of OS. Oh well it's not like my life is over. I can do things in a browser.

clav

I wonder why this particular app has so buggy on the majority of the tech preview builds. It's not even an essential part of OS. Oh well it's not like my life is over. I can do things in a browser.

I guess maybe something with the networking/mail protocol. After all, OneDrive works in a different manner.

Can you show a screenshot of the new recycle bin?

Yeah, new build totally broke Spartan for me. At first, it just wouldn't take any address I plugged into it, and shut down when I tried to hit the feedback button. Now it just shuts down after a couple of seconds.

Siphorus

Are you able to get rid of the fade in animation of when you click/hit start for the start menu?
I'd like it to just be instant.

Valanarro

had a previous version of the tech preview on my surface pro 2 until i tried playing tf2 and steam constantly broke and tf2 crashed to the desktop. anyone know if this is fixed yet? considering reinstalling but dont want to do so only to find it broken still

clav

had a previous version of the tech preview on my surface pro 2 until i tried playing tf2 and steam constantly broke and tf2 crashed to the desktop. anyone know if this is fixed yet? considering reinstalling but dont want to do so only to find it broken still

Probably is.

You should wait.

ralexand

100% logic failure rate
This is the first time I'm not installing unreleased versions of windows on my primary machine but it seems to be coming along real nice. Only thing left for me to be totally satisfied is a swipe keyboard, losing that border around the notification center and a new explorer styled with metro 2.0 controls and fonts along with the dark them.

LordAlu

Any idea if I can delete the new RecoveryImage folder under drive c: that Windows 10 created? It is taking up 18 GBs.
Click Start and begin typing "Disk clean". Run the program Windows shows at the top of the search list and choose your OS drive. You should get something like the below screen:

Capture_zpsxeuu66bs.png

Click on "Clean up System Files" and choose your OS drive again. You'll eventually come back to the same screen, but there should now be a box in the list that says "Previous Windows Installations". Tick that and press OK and confirm. It will warn you about removing the old files but if your updated install is working fine you're safe to delete :)

clav

Click Start and begin typing "Disk clean". Run the program Windows shows at the top of the search list and choose your OS drive. You should get something like the below screen:

Capture_zpsxeuu66bs.png

Click on "Clean up System Files" and choose your OS drive again. You'll eventually come back to the same screen, but there should now be a box in the list that says "Previous Windows Installations". Tick that and press OK and confirm. It will warn you about removing the old files but if your updated install is working fine you're safe to delete :)

Alternatively, you can run an elevated admin cmd prompt and type:

Code:
cleanmgr /dC

The C in dC is the drive letter where Windows is installed.

That way, the computer doesn't have to double scan.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
I like the new app designs for Weather and News. Outlook and Calendar are pretty great too.

Glad they added the ability to tap the brightness toggle to adjust it.

Nothing worked after I updated to 10061, but I did a refresh and that seemed to fix everything.

Pretty impressive build. With the exception of Start being wonky, it's stable and fast. UI elements are coming together and I like the new apps.

Lynn616

Capture_zpsxeuu66bs.png

Thank you but I already did that. It doesn't get rid of RecoveryImage folder just Windows.old folder.

clav

All of Microsoft's Metro programs crash for me aside from the Spartan Browser.

As someone previous mentioned, weather app is updated, too.

The new outlook app is so sweet.

They just have to match the outlook.com in features (categories, actions, sweep, support formatting and pictures on the signature, color themes, etc) and it will be glorious.

Edit: Though I really dislike the hamburger menu coupled with the setting gear button underneath.

None of the Ms apps have nailed the flyouts yet as well. Every single one of them is quite ugly (and inconsistent, in some apps the hamburger calls a flyout, in others it resizes the app lateral bar, and even them in some it's animated, and in others not)

clav

Thank you but I already did that. It doesn't get rid of RecoveryImage folder just Windows.old folder.

Think that folder contains the latest build upgrade that's downloaded from Windows update. That serves as the installation media folder.

Text file in there says not to delete possibly due to backup/recovery reasons without disk.

Mr_Zombie

Good to know. Do you have any information how old is this build and whether we should expect any bigger changes between this one and the build we probably get after Microsoft's Build Developer Conference?

I still don't like a lot of UI elements - they look or work inferior to the ones in Win7 and 8; some panels look like they haven't even be styled yet - just basic buttons, links and inputs thrown together on a grid (maybe they really are). And Windows 10 still has the problem that Windows 8 had - it looks like two different OS merged together, and thus a lot of things look inconsistent. It's still better than Windows 8 (and I like all those small animations here and there), but it's not there yet.

And I really dislike that the power button was moved down above the All apps button. Why? It made more sense where it was in the same row as user avatar, which works as the lock/switch user button; and at least while being there it didn't unnecessarily occupied space on the app list. :/

FyreWulff

The update locked up a few times requiring me to force power down, but it recovered the upgrade process and finally completed!

And I no longer have the random idle death. Yay! Glad that bug is gone.

Has there been any word of OS level support for controllers? It's a long shot, but I was thinking it would be pretty cool if Win10 shipped with support to use your gamepad on the desktop environment. Right stick emulating mouse cursor probably.

clav

Has there been any word of OS level support for controllers? It's a long shot, but I was thinking it would be pretty cool if Win10 shipped with support to use your gamepad on the desktop environment. Right stick emulating mouse cursor probably.

No.

I put that in the feedback app. The last time I checked, it was the most up-voted although only in the 100s I think.

Honestly, that and a tabbed explorer window are my two most wanted features for Windows. I've been voting for them in the Uservoice every time one pops up

I would hope that mouse emulation was an option for legacy apps, but new universal apps had an appropriate UI when using a controller (kinda like, are you using the music app with keyboard+mouse? You get the current interface, but if you plug in a controller it switches to the xbone one)...

why DOESN'T explorer have tabs yet?
That seems like it would be such a simple thing to implement.

*complains yet again about titlebar text not changing to a light color on a dark window border*

Mr_Zombie

I don't understand why haven't they add that already. I've been using a program (forgot the name now) to emulate mouse & keyboard with gamepad: left stick is mouse, right stick is scroll, d-pad works as arrow keys, trigger and face buttons are various function or modifier keys (Shift, Tab, Enter, Esc, Alt, Ctrl etc.). The only thing that's missing to make the whole thing work perfectly is a on-screen keyboard automatically showing up whenever you click on text input field; oh, and sometimes games get confused which input device you're using.

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.
I have build 10049 running on my work PC. We have a disclaimer once the PC comes on that you have to click OK to continue to the login screen. The disclaimer is pushed out via Group Policy. I restarted my PC to try and install build 10061 and I click the OK button and it just refreshes the page. Can't get past it.

Top Bottom