• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Announces Windows 10

I Understand the issues with metro apps in windows 8 as they don't work well for anything but touch (pretty easy to argue though a lot of that mess was necessary to get to this point). Take a look at the xbox app or the preview photos or music or video apps to get an idea of the density of information on the new universal apps...much more win 32 style apps and density for a mouse that makes sense. Even the new office universal apps show off that change in design. They will be the apps for most things going forward.

Yeah, they finally have an app platform that can actually replace win32 applications. Not only capable of changing the UI to adjust to where its running or which mode (and they can not just have an UI that adapts, they can have entirely different UIs for each mode if they so desire), they can also handle banckground tasks differently given how they run, so a windowed app can behave much like you would expect a win32 app to behave.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
guys can windows 10 metro apps handle authenticating proxies yet?

this is the fucking bane of my existence. guess who's CEO likes a surface with 'newspaper' app. and we use direct access so corporate devices are always proxied.

IF I get a fucking nother sunday "WHY ME NO READPAPER" call I will shit.

clav

I've never seen the real problem with the registry. Sure, other OSes do the directory with config files, but then people like to be inconsistent with where their program puts the config files, which can be a pain to back up or merge changes.

Registry makes it central and act like a queryable database. It's a pretty neat solution. The downside is that it's not user friendly to mess with via regedit and since programs could be removed without getting rid of their related registry entries, cruft builds up.

also, I haven't seen a UAC prompt in forever in Windows outside of running an installer. It was really bad when UAC was introduced, but now that developers know they're not supposed to store their config files in C:\Windows and Microsoft enforced "no, you're not all fucking root anymore", the problem went away.

Doesn't OS X have a registry-like feature called LaunchServices database?

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
Was thinking of installing it as my sole OS. Not doing much gaming these days so dont care much about that side. Other than that, is it stable enough to be the sole OS? I am talking about the latest developer preview that is out right now.

clav

Was thinking of installing it as my sole OS. Not doing much gaming these days so dont care much about that side. Other than that, is it stable enough to be the sole OS? I am talking about the latest developer preview that is out right now.

No.

Zeknurn

Anyone else get stuck on the boot screen with the spinning dots after the latest updates?

One of these two

Update for Windows 10 Insider Preview for x64-based Systems (KB3061161) Update for Windows 10 Insider Preview for x64-based Systems (KB3062095)

I was using win10 as my sole OS ever since the first preview. It was bumpy at times, but not really nothing deal breaker.

I only switched back because battery life was still bad on current build, and I'm going to a trip where I'll need the full battery life my surface can provide.

dorn.

I've been using it for a week on my desktop and had no problems so far, even games run without a hitch. YMMV I guess?

kittoo

Cretinously credulous

I was using win10 as my sole OS ever since the first preview. It was bumpy at times, but not really nothing deal breaker.

I only switched back because battery life was still bad on current build, and I'm going to a trip where I'll need the full battery life my surface can provide.

I've been using it for a week on my desktop and had no problems so far, even games run without a hitch. YMMV I guess?

Thanks for the feedback guys. In light of the mixed answers, I am installing it on a separate HDD and keeping my WIndows 8.1 on SSD. In case 10 is fine, I might move it to SSD or just ride both till final release.

Thanks for the feedback guys. In light of the mixed answers, I am installing it on a separate HDD and keeping my WIndows 8.1 on SSD. In case 10 is fine, I might move it to SSD or just ride both till final release.

You can install on top of windows 8 and revert back in case everything goes bad.

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
You can install on top of windows 8 and revert back in case everything goes bad.

Actually I think thats what happened. I thought it would ask me as to in which drive to install. It didnt. And I think now it has installed over 8.1. I dont yet want to go back, but just in case, how do I do that?

Edit:Also, when I go to settings and updates, it just keeps checking for updates and never actually installs or downloads any updates. Anyone facing this issue?

Actually I think thats what happened. I thought it would ask me as to in which drive to install. It didnt. And I think now it has installed over 8.1. I dont yet want to go back, but just in case, how do I do that?

Settings App > Update and Recovery > From there, there will be some options, I don't remember which, but I think there's a go back to the previous installed OS which will take you to Windows 8.

But I think that option gets overwritten when you install another build, so perhaps you'll need to revert back to 8.1 and then upgrade whenever a new update becomes available.

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
Settings App > Update and Recovery > From there, there will be some options, I don't remember which, but I think there's a go back to the previous installed OS which will take you to Windows 8.

But I think that option gets overwritten when you install another build, so perhaps you'll need to revert back to 8.1 and then upgrade whenever a new update becomes available.

Thanks Lukas.
Another question though, when I go to settings and updates, it just keeps checking for updates and never actually installs or downloads any updates. Anyone facing this issue?

This is what I mean-

capturel0u0g.jpg

Bloodsent

Question, and I am sorry if this has already been answered.

Has there been discussion on whether it will be possible via the Free Upgrade program to install Windows 10 fresh without the need to install Windows 7/8/8.1 first?

Question, and I am sorry if this has already been answered.

Has there been discussion on whether it will be possible via the Free Upgrade program to install Windows 10 fresh without the need to install Windows 7/8/8.1 first?

Don't upgrades for Windows give you the clean install option since the Vista upgrade issues?

Jinroh

I'm using version 10074 as my main OS since my 8.1 install got corrupted by my secondary SSD, and I've had zero issues so far.

The only thing that bothers me is that I don't know which apps are open in the taskbar. Otherwise it's very stable and I've had no crash whatsoever. Of course the interface needs a bit more work, but it works very well as a main OS. (until of course everything goes wrong and crashes repeatedly)

Ugh, just spent about half a day fixing a corrupted boot partition. The repair tool could only partially fix it (i.e. for a single boot) before giving up and scratching its head. Diskpart refused to mount the drive, so all the Windows RE tools pretty much refused to work.

Ended up having to do a complete reinstall of Windows, take an image of the system (the Windows backup tool only allows a system image, which has to include the boot partition, or folders), splice the clean boot partition image into an older image containing all my data and the broken boot partition, and finally restore that.

All this for a few KB of code that in most circumstances could be very easily fixed and overwritten.

Hieberrr

I just a clean install on an old laptop and so far everything is running extremely smoothly. Granted I'm not really doing much and I'm just using this as a browsing laptop. I like it more than W8.1 already.

So... Going by this Onedrive for Business roadmap the new sync engine nor the onedrive universal app will be ready for RTM:

http://microsoft-news.com/microsoft-reveals-roadmap-of-onedrive-for-business/

I knew they were too quiet when talking about it.

And no mention of smart files is also a downer, it probably won't come until next year :/

Thanks Lukas.
Another question though, when I go to settings and updates, it just keeps checking for updates and never actually installs or downloads any updates. Anyone facing this issue?

This is what I mean-

WU does that a lot for me as well. And sometimes would error when trying to check for updates...

Did it eventually downloaded anything, or it's still stuck?

So... Going by this Onedrive for Business roadmap the new sync engine nor the onedrive universal app will be ready for RTM:

And no mention of smart files is also a downer, it probably won't come until next year :/

Watching the keynote and well,

The bad news is that their RTM plans seems to be indeed what we have now, and the new engine won't come by RTM, in fact it will launch only by the years end (Q4). And the other bad news is that just the "step back" phase. They will provide no extra features compared to we have today (for consumers), they are focusing on speed, reliability and getting the onedrive for business on par with the consumer client... The initial release of the next gen sync client will see business edition getting rid of the 20k file limit and the 2GB file size (now up to 10 as well), and adding selective sync.

They have some of the features lined up like long file names, and supports for all characters, but that also won't come to RTM... Probably not even this year :/

The great news is that the new sync client doesn't suck, so it won't cache your files multiple times, nor it will use many cpus cycles picking changes, and it will see the changes to sync right away, not after many minutes/hours, and won't mess up your synced files creating unnecessary copies for handling conflicts even when there are none. It's better integrated with win10, it pick changes way faster, you can generate links from the context menu, as well select folders to sync from it... And anyone will be able to preview the next gen sync by September's end.

So bummer, but let's hope they at least got the basics right so the engine is fast and reliable... And that they bring new features faster after the initial release.

If I install the Techpreview, once it goes final, do I have to reinstall the whole OS or does it just update itself to the full version?

I want to reinstall my OS right now, but it wouldnt make any sense to reinstall 8.1 if I can directly install 10.

Iacobellis

Did you ever write a Windows application and its installer/uninstaller?

The problem with the registry is that anyone can read and write anywhere they please. Any executable can mess with other program settings at any time, because the whole thing is shared. This is why we have crap like toolbars and home page hijackers in pretty much every non-computer-savvy persons PCs.

The problem with installers requesting elevation is that they can write anywhere in the registry and on the file system when you click "yes". An installer is a just a program and there are no limits to what it can do. You're at complete mercy of the developer who wrote the installer and their skills in not fucking up your system. Ever had an uninstaller crap out and not work? You're SOL, specially when the damn program leaves behind things like services and startup programs (happened twice to me).

Windows has been in dire need of taking control of the install/uninstall process for several years. There's no need for giving system wide access to the installer of a video converter or a browser. That sort of power should be limited to stuff that really needs it.

Also, writing well behaved installers and uninstallers is a major pain in the ass with millions of different solutions, paid and free. A proper and easy to use standard would be welcome.

This should also make non-admin accounts far more usable, since they'll be able to install a wide variety of apps without rights elevation.

OS X (not sure about Linux) handles uninstalls way better. Delete the app, and then search your drive for the leftover preference and cache files if needed.

quaere

Microsoft about to snatch defeat from victory again, with more nonsensical restrictions.

http://arstechnica.com/information-...ows-what-is-microsoft-doing-and-will-it-work/
The Android subsystem implements a subset of Android's APIs on Windows. This subsystem offers Android-style APIs for things like filesystem access, graphics, access to sensors and the camera, process and thread creation, security, and networking, leveraging the Windows kernel to provide these core services.

The new subsystem will be a preinstalled, built-in part of Windows Mobile, the new (and very old) name used for the Windows version that runs on phones and small screen tablets. It's only for ARM processors. Other versions of Windows won't include it.
Were you excited about an x86 phone, Continuum, and the convergence possibilities? Well no need. Your x86 Windows phone or tablet will fail to run certain apps in the Windows ecosystem for no reason whatsoever.

Microsoft about to snatch defeat from victory again, with more nonsensical restrictions.

http://arstechnica.com/information-...ows-what-is-microsoft-doing-and-will-it-work/

Were you excited about an x86 phone, Continuum, and the convergence possibilities? Well no need. Your x86 Windows phone or tablet will fail to run certain apps in the Windows ecosystem for no reason whatsoever.

I'm not surprised about those restrictions, but it's especially strange when Android does run on x86 processors.

UND3RxOATH

Neo Member
Tried using Project Spartan for a little over 2 weeks. I can't stand the slowness/crashes. Reverted back to Chrome for now.

Slowly but surely making progress on it however.

Were you excited about an x86 phone, Continuum, and the convergence possibilities? Well no need. Your x86 Windows phone or tablet will fail to run certain apps in the the Windows ecosystem for no reason whatsoever.

It's not without reason. Astoria is a stopgap to get devs to quickly deploy their apps to windows phone, and small tablets, almost automatically. More work would be required to adapt to bigger tablets and desktop so they are locking that out for now.

As for x86 phones and small tablets, the android subsystem probably need to be ported over to x86...

I do think they have solutions for all these coming, just not at launch.

quaere

It's not without reason. Astoria is a stopgap to get devs to quickly deploy their apps to windows phone, and small tablets, almost automatically. More work would be required to adapt to bigger tablets and desktop so they are locking that out for now.
My 7" Intel Windows 8 tablet is a small tablet.
As for x86 phones and small tablets, the android subsystem probably need to be ported over to x86...
Not a valid argument. x86 is fully supported by Android and has been for years now.

My 7" Intel Windows 8 tablet is a small tablet.
Yes, it's small enough that the UI wouldn't be an issue, but that is not the only possible issue.

Not a valid argument. x86 is fully supported by Android and has been for years now.
But that didn't happened overnight, Google had to port their services and apis to x86. Ms didn't even finished yet developing the arm version. I'm sure the x86 port will follow rapidly, just not for launch.

Windows 10 is supposed to be an ongoing development cycle and updates, something not being ready for launch doesn't mean it will stay long that way. We re supposedly going to get stuff as soon as they are ready.

Pooya

I get like 5-10 better fps on average on 8.1 compared with 10074 and beta geforce drivers. hopefully it gets better, 8 wasn't so hot at first either.

Is there a way to change the lock screen color from the default blue when you log in? Not seeing anything.
Doesn't seem like it right now. I have the same problem. Before I reformatted it kept my dark grey color, but now that I started fresh with the recent build it is broken.

kittoo

Cretinously credulous

WU does that a lot for me as well. And sometimes would error when trying to check for updates...

Did it eventually downloaded anything, or it's still stuck?

It did indeed work eventually. Thanks :)

Anyone has a clue how I can add my applications to the Metro like startscreen like Outlook, Word etc.?

And how does scaling work? Somehow a lot of the fonts are quite blurry. In Win 8 I just changed the scale-level to like 125% and it was fixed. In Win10 somehow its still blurry.

And last but not least. How can I turn off the search-bar in the lower left corner?

Heel

Doesn't seem like it right now. I have the same problem. Before I reformatted it kept my dark grey color, but now that I started fresh with the recent build it is broken.

Ah. Yeah, not really a big deal but would like a dark theme.

You can set your lock screen pic in all settings>personalize

Yeah, talking about the log-in screen while you type your password though.

Anyone has a clue how I can add my applications to the Metro like startscreen like Outlook, Word etc.?

And how does scaling work? Somehow a lot of the fonts are quite blurry. In Win 8 I just changed the scale-level to like 125% and it was fixed. In Win10 somehow its still blurry.

And last but not least. How can I turn off the search-bar in the lower left corner?

For the search bar, right click in taskbar > search. You can turn it off or make it a smaller icon, which is a nice compromise.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
That's awesome. I am one of those guys who always always prefer dark theme if available. I find it pleasing to my eyes. This was the main reason for me to make a GAF account lol cz you can't change theme without logging in

Top Bottom