• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Announces Windows 10

Mr_Zombie

Heh, I wish Microsoft didn't went into that minimalistic design route. The whole super minimalistic icons, strong colors with high contrast design works great on phones screen. On desktop, I think it looks rather ugly, or at least not pleasant-looking. I really prefer Android Lollipop design, with pastel colors, simple and flat (but not that simple and flat) icons, soft shadings here and there to make things "pop" etc.

IMHO when it comes to look the UI (besides start menu - I like it) in current builds looks worse than the one from Windows 7 and 8/8.1. :/

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Guys, hearing about W10 being better for games than W8 even in its current state, worth it to jump in to the technical preview now? All I do is play games, watch streams and listen to music pretty much. So if those 3 work as they should I'm good.

Guys, hearing about W10 being better for games than W8 even in its current state, worth it to jump in to the technical preview now? All I do is play games, watch streams and listen to music pretty much. So if those 3 work as they should I'm good.
While I don't have problems all that often gaming with Windows 10 right now, I would wait until the release. You might experience a loss in performance making the jump right now. If you're currently having no problems right now, I see no reason to make the jump unless you're absolutely fine running software that may break here and there.

t-ramp

I'd wait for gaming. For instance, Far Cry 4 didn't work at all for the previous build, and now there's an issue with older full-screen games not getting focus properly.

kitch9

Banned
Why can't my PC hibernate or go to sleep?! It always constantly wakes up and goes back to sleep. I just usually end up cutting it off.

If it wakes up straight away that will be a USB device, probably the mouse maybe the lan port. Go into device manager and block devices from waking the pc one by one until it stops.

Either that or look through event viewer for clues.

Social

Yep, gaming is still a big nono. I tried a few top games and most had issues with fullscreen focus, and mouse not hiding

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
There's obviously still work to be done, but the dark theme in one of the latest builds (10114) seems to be coming along nicely

That will be great at night. Looking good.

Neo Dark

So... what does everyone think about Windows 10 being the last version of Windows?

Am I blind or has no one brought this up yet?

jstripes

Banned
So... what does everyone think about Windows 10 being the last version of Windows?

The last marketed version of Windows.
(Until Microsoft changes their mind in two years.)

It'll be silently updated, with new features and stuff, but the brand facing the consumer will be "Windows 10", or more likely, just "Windows".

FyreWulff

More marketing than anything. I mean, what are new Ubuntu "versions" other than just the latest stable snapshot every two years? Windows is just officially going the same way. We just increase the number with each release for ease of identification and because we're human. We don't have to.

I mentioned it elsewhere, the idea that you ship software as a box release and it's "done" and is replaced by a later box release is essentially dead anymore. Same thing with browsers happened. There isn't going to be Edge 2, etc, it'll just be Edge and <internal verison number only developers care about>, much like nobody actually says which version of FF or Chrome they're using anymore.

And Pro is going to be really expensive to upgrade to for some reason. The features should just be built in. What is even different? I just know on Desktop I'm in Pro and on my laptop I'm on Home and I hate it.

epmode

The free Windows 10 key we get from owning Windows 8.1... The text talks about how it gives you Windows 10 on a device, but can you move that Windows 10 key to a new device after that or is it like an OEM key, permanently tied to specific hardware?

dLMN8R

Why would you even want one edition? Do you want complicated UI and feature bloat on your 8" tablet running the full version of Windows 10 just for the sake of reaching an arbitrary goal of consolidating editions that don't need to be consolidated?

If you have Win7/Win8 Home, you get Win10 Home

If you have Win7/Win8 Pro, you get Win10 Pro.

Pro has a ton of features that Home users don't need, but also don't want, since they take up more space on disk and other major negatives if you don't need them. For example, confusing UI around domain join which doesn't really make sense to consumers who have never joined a domain in their lives. The Home edition can easily run on tablets with 32GB storage (maybe less), that's not exactly ideal for Pro either.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
I think 10074 has problems with my wacom driver's since it has been acting up and not responding/interpreting a right click after I use my pen to draw on the taskbar.

M3d10n

"There's no Windows 9"

Are you sure, MS?
Iv9pAih.png

SPDIF

Candy Crush Saga coming to Windows 10

Solitaire. Hearts. Minesweeper. These are games that have been played millions of times over the years in Windows. And they are coming back in Windows 10. If you’re a Windows Insider, you can check out a preview of the new Microsoft Solitaire Collection that’s included in the latest build of the Windows 10 Insider Preview (Build 10074). In addition to these games, we’re also working with partners to bring some of their great games to Windows 10 too. And we’re excited to be able to announce today that King will bring their game, Candy Crush Saga, to Windows 10. Candy Crush Saga will be automatically installed for customers that upgrade to or download Windows 10 during the launch

RP912

Banned
Thought about updating to Windows 10 because of gaming, but some of the issues people are having....I'll wait until the summer :/

Lazaro

So umm...

I did a clean install of build 10074 but the Store (beta) seems to not be logging me in properly. I'm having trouble updating apps and such. Usually when this happens on previous builds I would go to settings and "Reset the PC" but since upgrading to 10074 this method stopped working.

You can tell if the Store (beta) app is working when your account picture is displayed but when it isn't, its just the placeholder black and white profile pic.

Also my Store (beta) icon is grey instead of the updated blue icon.

Is there any way to fix this guys?

EDIT: I guess it pays to bitch on the internet. I went into settings and noticed on the privacy settings page that I didn't enable the "Let applications access my name, picture and other account info"

Hip Hop

Well, just bought my first SSD (Going for $29 by the way, http://www.crucial.com/usa/en/fcct128m4ssd1)

And the thing to do with these is slap the OS on them, no? and keep everything else on the HDD?

How would I move my OS to this drive? Or should I wait until Windows 10 is released and do it then?

If I wait till then, how would I go about installing Windows 10 to the SSD? Does the installer usually allow you to change drives for clean installs?

geez too many questions

Raide

Well, just bought my first SSD (Going for $29 by the way, http://www.crucial.com/usa/en/fcct128m4ssd1)

And the thing to do with these is slap the OS on them, no? and keep everything else on the HDD?

How would I move my OS to this drive? Or should I wait until Windows 10 is released and do it then?

If I wait till then, how would I go about installing Windows 10 to the SSD? Does the installer usually allow you to change drives for clean installs?

geez too many questions

Best way it to make a bootable USB stick, unplug other drives, only have the SSD in and install your OS to that drive. That makes sure the system installs onto the main SSD first since it needs to make some boot changes on that drive.

You can use the above to install you current OS to an SSD and then put the Windows 10 Tech over the top, then uninstall the old OS if you really want. Depending on space for your new SSD, it is probably better to hold the old OS so you can recover if needed.

M3d10n

It's very nice how Windows 10 de-metro-ifies metro apps. Having them run in resizable windows as any other program combined with the notification center make a bunch of them actually useful, specially messaging apps.

Also, the metro file picker is gone: modern apps use the standard "open file" popup as win32 apps as well as normal alert boxes.

It's very nice how Windows 10 de-metro-ifies metro apps. Having them run in resizable windows as any other program combined with the notification center make a bunch of them actually useful, specially messaging apps.

Also, the metro file picker is gone: modern apps use the standard "open file" popup as win32 apps as well as normal alert boxes.

It's hard to go back to win8 after testing win10 (even with tablet usage), that's usually a sign that they are in the right direction :p

Another thing that I REALLY liked about the new universal app platform is how it solves problems metro apps had (specially in the desktop) like running in background. They have a new set of options that allow apps to do their background work without using too much battery (Or even completely running on the background in scenarios where battery life is not a concern), or app to app communication, where basically every app can act as a web service and provide functionality for other apps to consume.

They still have some ways to go to be a complete replacement of win32 apps (like extending the shell and a app be deployed as a plugin for another app), but they did say they are working on that too, so it's probably a matter of time until we can have really powerful metro applications in the sense on how they integrate with the system and with each other.

That's what everyone said how Windows 8 apps should have worked in the first place but no, the Windows 8 defenders kept arguing how snap was the same thing. Yeah, like anyone wants a messaging app to take up an entire 1/4 of their screen at all times.

So glad Microsoft is making all these changes to improve usability. I'm getting a new Thinkpad Yoga at work and I'm kinda pissed that it'll be stuck on Windows 8.1 for a looooong time.

dLMN8R

I want to be able to open multiple copies of the calculator again. ): Give me back old calcy.

Wait, what? You can't do that anymore in Win10?
Not even a tab section?

My life is ruined.

No promises but I believe this is in the works. There's some general system work required to enable multiple instances of the same app, and once that's done, Calculator will be updated to benefit from it.

hipbabboom

Huh? What did I say? Did I screw up again? :(
Wow! Some writers on The Verge shouldn't be writers. How does someone screw up this badly (if a mistake) or lack this much integrity (if willfully executed)?

Microsoft backtracks on free Windows 10 update for pirates
The confusion has revolved around Microsoft's offer to give free Windows 10 updates to people running Windows 7 and 8.1. In a statement last March, Windows chief Terry Myerson was reported to have said that the offer would extend to pirated copies, too. Microsoft quickly began issuing vague clarifications, while still implying that there would be a way to upgrade at no cost, even if pirates would be required to pay eventually. Now, we're finally getting a full clarification: there's no free upgrade at all. Pirates just have to pay.

Top Bottom