• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Announces Windows 10

Korey

I got the upgrade ad too but I'm not upgrading.

Still on Windows 7. Didn't upgrade to 8 and still don't have any reason to upgrade to 10. 7 works perfectly.

I know people that downgraded from 8 back to 7. 10 doesn't seem any different at all. What's the point of this marginal sidegrade?

Why upgrade to 10? There doesn't seem to be any reason to. Are there any big features or reasons you can think of?

Still on Windows 7. Didn't upgrade to 8 and still don't have any reason to upgrade to 10. 7 works perfectly.

I know people that downgraded from 8 back to 7. 10 doesn't seem any different at all. What's the point of this marginal sidegrade?

Why upgrade to 10? There doesn't seem to be any reason to. Are there any big features or reasons you can think of?

You havent been paying any attention if you believe there are no substantial differences.

Jzero

Are tech preview users getting the notification as well or only 7 ,8, 8.1 users?

Cool story bro.

Pooya

July 29? ok, RTM iso will leak this month I bet...
I'm definitely not upgrading my Surface Pro1 any time soon. Not convinced about Win10 on anything with a touch screen. My desktop is ready.

Rosur

copy and paste into command prompt (with ctrl + c rather right clicking) :p Then again I'm a developer so use command prompt alot.

Judging by recent builds I don't think it's ready for July release, hopefully that's RTM release and not full retail. If it's retail release it has to RTM soon and that's a mistake. I've been running it as my main OS since the first consumer preview, recently it's been getting buggier and buggier.

Mr_Zombie

I have been having an issue with all the preview builds, when I wake my computer up from sleep, it hangs on a black screen for a minute or two, then I get the BSOD. The BSOD mentions a DPC_Watchdog_Violation, and then my computer restarts before I can use it again.

Has anyone had this issue?

Same here. Any time I try to wake my computer up all I get is a black screen. If there's any error, I don't even see it.

Judging by recent builds I don't think it's ready for July release, hopefully that's RTM release and not full retail. If it's retail release it has to RTM soon and that's a mistake. I've been running it as my main OS since the first consumer preview, recently it's been getting buggier and buggier.

I agree, there are still a lot of bugs there (some more serious than others), but we don't know how old the build really is.

I got the popup.

Thing is I'm making a new comp in a month or so.

So if I reserve how does that work, does it store that I reserved it on my comp or an email or something?

Or should I just install it and then do that sysprep thing when I move the HDDs to my new comp.

Lucius86

Banned

I actually agree with you, but not to the same extreme in terms of bugs found. Seems very very soon with a lot of important features only getting added in the most recent builds. Last night my gf couldn't attach a document in the Mail app which was infuriating - she had to do it from her iPad in the end using the OneDrive app.

Pooya

After trying to set up Win7 recently I just realized how ancient this thing feels now.

Want to install OS from USB3? Good luck with drivers, the set up won't work otherwise.
Installed Win7, ok. Now I have to manually enable TRIM and disable prefetch for SSD because OS is made in stone age.

Safely removed USB HDD, why it doesn't power down? aha, gotta do some registry tweak for this to work. It's so much hassle. The Aero UI looks horribly hideous and pixelated on a HiDPI screen, now win8 isn't great there but a far cry from Win7. I could go on. If Win7 is good enough for you that's fine, it's history and newer hardware won't work optimally with it, already has worse DX11 performance in Battlefield 3/4. And there are loads of small changes and refinements that don't come up on lists and you don't notice unless you go back and see their absence. If it's good enough for you that's fine, WinXP still good enough for a lot of people too. Now add all the features of 10 over 8.1, it's a pretty notable upgrade over 7. I'm not sure what you expect from a OS upgrade, it's no different elsewhere.

I still haven't gotten the reservation app for Windows 10 on my gaming laptop. Strange. It probably is rolling out in waves. My parents' laptops all have gotten the app and reserved their Windows 10 copies.

Maybe I should just wait and see. Hopefully I don't have to do it to get the upgrade.

Woffls

cdf959526a7e2784f431ba2d9fc51243.png

Aww for real? I wonder what "fully compatible" means? DX12 utilisation? I'm gonna' go ahead and assume Windows 10 won't get less out of my laptop than Windows 8.1.

Aww for real? I wonder what "fully compatible" means? DX12 utilisation? I'm gonna' go ahead and assume Windows 10 won't get less out of my laptop than Windows 8.1.

I think there seems to be something about Intel graphics that always trips Windows 10 up. Has Intel released WHQL drivers for any of the Windows 10 previews?

onken

Got mah pop-up. Look forward to upgrading from the abortion that is Windows 8 (though classic shell makes it slightly more bearable).

M3d10n

It's probably going to be sorted by release. Also, it might just be that Intel doesn't have WDDM 1.2 drivers yet, so the GPU will use legacy WDDM 1.1 drivers (which do work, but lack some features).

Rookie question regarding OS upgrades:

If I upgrade from Windows 7 to 10, will it be a clean install, or will all my photos, documents, music, etc still be exactly where I left them, just with a shiny new UI?

I use this PC for my job, for gaming, for digital art, and for writing. It's pretty damn important to me, so I want to make sure I'm not wiping the slate clean if I upgrade.

Zeknurn

Thurrott posted an upgrade matrix for the different editions

Windows 7
  • Windows 7 Starter will be upgraded to Windows 10 Home
  • Windows 7 Home Basic will be upgraded to Windows 10 Home
  • Windows 7 Home Premium will be upgraded to Windows 10 Home
  • Windows 7 Professional will be upgraded to Windows 10 Pro
  • Windows 7 Ultimate will be upgraded to Windows 10 Pro

Windows 8
  • Windows 8.1 will be upgraded to Windows 10 Home
  • Windows 8.1 with Bing will be upgraded to Windows 10 Home
  • Windows 8.1 Pro will be upgraded to Windows 10 Pro

Windows Phone
  • Windows Phone 8.1 will be upgraded to Windows 10 Mobile. The availability of the upgrade may vary by hardware maker, mobile operator or carrier.
Excluded editions
  • Windows 7 Enterprise, Windows 8, Windows 8.1 Enterprise, and Windows RT/RT 8.1 are excluded from the free upgrade offer.

M3d10n

Rookie question regarding OS upgrades:

If I upgrade from Windows 7 to 10, will it be a clean install, or will all my photos, documents, music, etc still be exactly where I left them, just with a shiny new UI?

I use this PC for my job, for gaming, for digital art, and for writing. It's pretty damn important to me, so I want to make sure I'm not wiping the slate clean if I upgrade.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1055174

FyreWulff

What's the default music player for Windows 10? Is it still Windows Media Player? Does it look any different from Win7/8?

WMP looks the same, Xbox Music is the new music app

so if i do not like windows 10 i'll have to factory reset my machine?

Windows 10 has the same functionality from 8 that lets you roll back to your previous Windows install, as long as you don't delete your Windows.old

Village

WMP looks the same, Xbox Music is the new music app

Windows 10 has the same functionality from 8 that lets you roll back to your previous Windows install, as long as you don't delete your Windows.old

Even if my install is windows 7?

Also does anyone know if windows 10 has issues with progams working like i believe vista did. It would suck for windows 10 to be great, but for some reason paint tool sai just doesn't work

Sarcasm

I plan to reformat EVERYTHING! First with my W7 than W10.

Question, do I need to activate my W7 copy before upgrading to W10?

Lucius86

Banned
My aunt has a 7 Starter laptop that's bursting at the seams. Will be nice to get it updated.

Yeah, that is cool Win 7 Starter users get full Win 10 home. But seeing there is no equivalent in Windows 10, it made sense these got upgraded to Home.

I plan to reformat EVERYTHING! First with my W7 than W10.

Question, do I need to activate my W7 copy before upgrading to W10?

Can I install the update and wipe my hdd? Like start fresh?

We are still waiting on Microsoft to comment on clean installs. As of now, it is unknown if the distribution will be only through an upgrade or if ISOs will be provided.

We in the preview program are not getting the prompt for the free update, are we?

The update notification is exclusive to Windows 7 and 8.1. But the GA will be available that day for anyone using the preview, although is activation status will be depend if it was installed as an inplace upgrade from either 7 or 8.1

Mr_Zombie

You know you can download Win10 Insider Preview right now, install it on another drive and check programs/hardware you worry won't work because of compatibility issues?

Jzero

Yeah, I'm definitely skipping on the upgrade. I can't take the chance of having any compatibility issues.
You know you can download Win10 Insider Preview right now, install it on another drive and check programs/hardware you worry won't work because of compatibility issues?

People like this just like to seem cool and complain about stuff they haven't tried yet. People that are still saying "Windows 7 > All" are starting to sound absolutely dumb.

J-Rzez

Got reserved myself, going from 8.1 Pro to 10 Pro I assume.

Question for some using this already. How does this stack up overhead wise to 8/8.1? Same overhead performance wise, less strain, more?

Got reserved myself, going from 8.1 Pro to 10 Pro I assume.

Question for some using this already. How does this stack up overhead wise to 8/8.1? Same overhead performance wise, less strain, more?

Little bit less. There's a lot of diagnostics crap going on, so it's tough to say.

Lynn616

Had a couple of people call me about the Windows 10 upgrade messages. I expect all of us that are the go to computer guys will be getting lots of these soon.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Ok, I'm having a bit of a crisis.

I installed the technical preview over my 8.1 installation this afternoon because I just finished a project and had some time. I noticed that one of my projects was corrupted in my OneDrive folder. Looking around I'm seeing a lot of missing files, files that were all stored locally. I'm freaking out because it's months worth of work.

I see the files online in OneDrive but I'm afraid to let it sync since I don't know if OneDrive online will think the files are deleted and remove them from the cloud as well.

Why would the OneDrive app remove locally stored files that aren't stored on the system drive? I'm not sure what to do here.

Acinixys

reposting this:

Ultra serious question for those using the current technical build

Can you turn that Cortina or whatever its name is off? Having a MASSIVE search bar right next to the start button will piss me off so much

Top Bottom