• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Announces Windows 10

SPDIF

Ok, I'm having a bit of a crisis.

I installed the technical preview over my 8.1 installation this afternoon because I just finished a project and had some time. I noticed that one of my projects was corrupted in my OneDrive folder. Looking around I'm seeing a lot of missing files, files that were all stored locally. I'm freaking out because it's months worth of work.

I see the files online in OneDrive but I'm afraid to let it sync since I don't know if OneDrive online will think the files are deleted and remove them from the cloud as well.

Why would the OneDrive app remove locally stored files that aren't stored on the system drive? I'm not sure what to do here.

Well they'd just end up in the online recycle bin so it wouldn't be too bad. Still, if I were you I'd just download the files from the online OneDrive to a USB drive. Then I'd let everything sync and if anything were to happen at least you have a backup.

reposting this:

Ultra serious question for those using the current technical build

Can you turn that Cortina or whatever its name is off? Having a MASSIVE search bar right next to the start button will piss me off so much

You don't have to have it as a big bar, you can shrink it to just the Cortana logo:

ymzRjDi.png

Or yes, if you want to then you can completely disable it. I recommend that you at least try it though. Who knows, you might like it :)

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Well they'd just end up in the online recycle bin so it wouldn't be too bad. Still, if I were you I'd just download the files from the online OneDrive to a USB drive. Then I'd let everything sync and if anything were to happen at least you have a backup.

That's what I'm trying to do now but downloading from the website is clunky and slow. Plus the files that were missing seemed random and I have 400+ gigs of stuff backed up there. I don't want to be sorting this shit out for weeks.

I'm restoring my 8.1 install right now from a disk image backup and I'll see if it shows those file or not.

reposting this:

Ultra serious question for those using the current technical build

Can you turn that Cortina or whatever its name is off? Having a MASSIVE search bar right next to the start button will piss me off so much

Yes, you can turn it into just the Cortana "circle" or remove it entirely.

edit: ^^beaten

jsrv

You don't have to install any of the Optional updates from Windows Update to get the pop up right, just some from the Recommended section? Don't see it yet but I guess I'll wait around

M3d10n

You don't have to have it as a big bar, you can shrink it to just the Cortana logo:

ymzRjDi.png

Or yes, if you want to then you can completely disable it. I recommend that you at least try it though. Who knows, you might like it :)

I prefer the icon, since it's exactly the same amount of clicks to perform a search.

I'm also on the SSD boat. Currently on 8.1 with about 25GB free on a 128GB SSD. Ideally I'd want to switch over to a 256GB+ SSD, but I'm not sure how I'd go about doing that. I don't suppose reimaging is an option here, right? If the upgrade really is only 3GB and the in-place is efficient, it might work, but I definitely want to move to a bigger drive in time for the upgrade.

clav

I'm also on the SSD boat. Currently on 8.1 with about 25GB free on a 128GB SSD. Ideally I'd want to switch over to a 256GB+ SSD, but I'm not sure how I'd go about doing that. I don't suppose reimaging is an option here, right? If the upgrade really is only 3GB and the in-place is efficient, it might work, but I definitely want to move to a bigger drive in time for the upgrade.

Using the built-in program File History (look at the bottom left hand corner), you can create a system image to an external drive or DVDs and restore it to a new drive using a Windows installation DVD/USB (use recovery option).

Once restored, boot up the drive and open Disk Management. Increase the volume to the total memory of your new drive.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
Still doesn't work on my old Toshiba Satellite laptop. Windows 8.1 doesn't, and every preview of 10 doesn't either. Fails after setup at boot with some sort of error about INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE. Doesn't make sense to me. Set to AHCI and that just should work, at least it does on 7.

M3d10n

Still doesn't work on my old Toshiba Satellite laptop. Windows 8.1 doesn't, and every preview of 10 doesn't either. Fails after setup at boot with some sort of error about INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE. Doesn't make sense to me. Set to AHCI and that just should work, at least it does on 7.

Wait, you're switching to AHCI after install? Because it will cause Windows to stop booting. You need to make a change on the registry before switching to AHCI, to enable the AHCI driver:

To resolve this issue yourself, enable the AHCI driver in the registry before you change the SATA mode of the boot drive. To do this, follow these steps:

1. Exit all Windows-based programs.
  2. Click Start, type regedit in the Start Search box, and then press ENTER.
  3. If you receive the User Account Control dialog box, click Continue.
  4. Locate and then click one of the following registry subkeys:
  5. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Msahci
  6. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\IastorV
  7. In the pane on the right side, right-click Start in the Name column, and then click Modify.
  8. In the Value data box, type 0, and then click OK.
  9. On the File menu, click Exit to close Registry Editor

Source: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/922976

SPDIF

My version of W10 is still 10074... how can I update? :(

What update ring are you on? If you've not yet been prompted for download you're probably on the slow ring which is the default. You'll have to change it to the fast ring, or just wait a week or so for the update to make its way to the slow ring.

BIGWORM

So, rolling back from 10130 to 10122 broke some functionality in windows:

1. Can't left-click on items placed in the system tray. Can't even click on Calendar to bring that up.

2. Login is borked. No profile pictures and takes up to 45 seconds to boot, on SSD, even.

3. Restart won't restart. Will just hang.

Gonna Rufus the latest build ISO from MS, which is 10074, before Soundblaster Z drivers were broken.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
I don't have to worry if I don't have that ominous popup yet, right? It goes out in waves?

CaptainABAB

Ok, I'm having a bit of a crisis.

I installed the technical preview over my 8.1 installation this afternoon because I just finished a project and had some time. I noticed that one of my projects was corrupted in my OneDrive folder. Looking around I'm seeing a lot of missing files, files that were all stored locally. I'm freaking out because it's months worth of work.

I see the files online in OneDrive but I'm afraid to let it sync since I don't know if OneDrive online will think the files are deleted and remove them from the cloud as well.

Why would the OneDrive app remove locally stored files that aren't stored on the system drive? I'm not sure what to do here.

1. OneDrive has an "cloud" Recycle Bin - you can restore any files deleted. I see files I deleted going back to July 2014.

This way, if your sync ever did delete files (never happened to me), you can restore your files.

2. For certain doc types (I think only office files - Excel, Word, etc.) have version history. Make a mistake in an Excel spreadsheet? You can go back to a prior version.

3. If you do not trust your OneDrive setup, you can do the following:

- Kill the OneDrive Sync Engine in Task Explorer
- Delete the OneDrive folder completely (or rename it with .bak)
- Start OneDrive again - it should kick-off the New Setup wizard which will ask you where it should sync files. Pick a new folder and it will create the folder structure from OneDrive and re-download the files

Rainy Dog

I don't have to worry if I don't have that ominous popup yet, right? It goes out in waves?

I'm wondering this too.

Got the popup on my gaming desktop PC and reserved it on that but nothing on my laptop. Both running 8.1 and fully updated.

Tried the various methods of forcing it too but, nope, just not appearing on my laptop for some reason.

Hip Hop

Can anybody help me?

I was gonna wait for W10 to release before installing my OS on the SSD but I might as well just do it now.

If I want to delete everything but my OS on my drives,

"remove everything and reinstall windows" is what I'm looking for in W8.1? This is like a clean install?

Then, I would transfer whatever is left over to the SSD, right?

EDIT:

F' it. I think im gonna do this instead:
http://lifehacker.com/5837543/how-to-migrate-to-a-solid-state-drive-without-reinstalling-windows

Hatty

I'm trying to get back onto 8.1 from the technical preview so I installed windows 7 so I could use my windows 8 upgrade key then move to 8.1. No matter what I do I cant download normal windows 8 does anyone know how to download an upgrade ISO from Microsoft? the Upgrade Windows with the product key program says it cannot connect right now

Hip Hop

Hatty

Thats 8.1 which wont take the windows 8 upgrade key I have as far as I know

Edit: Solved the problem, I thought I had regular windows 8 when I actually had windows 8 pro so the 8.1 download works now

Mailbox

decided to give the technical preview a shot via a virtual machine and I realized i can't give a good impression of it yet.

I don't have access to any of my files or applications on the virtual machine and it obviously doesn't operate as easily compared to if i were to actually use it as my OS.

From what i have tried, i can say that if i have all my applications and everything moves over smoothly, i'll probably really like windows 10. Gonna upgrade day 1 (or whenever i backup my files)

So I only just found out that Windows 10 is also free for pirated versions of Windows 7, and seemingly the only catch is that it remains non-genuine? Is this true?

I run non-genuine Win7 from years ago, even though I have obtained legitimate copies due to being a student since. Would love a hassle free upgrade really.

So I only just found out that Windows 10 is also free for pirated versions of Windows 7, and seemingly the only catch is that it remains non-genuine? Is this true?

I run non-genuine Win7 from years ago, even though I have obtained legitimate copies due to being a student since. Would love a hassle free upgrade really.

You now you should fix that by using the setup key of your student copy, well that's if you have a setup key. I don't know how the student licensing works nowadays.

I got the windows reservation popup on my laptop, but not my desktop o_0

Any idea why it wouldn't appear on my PC? It's a genuine copy of windows 7, and is up to date

I got the windows reservation popup on my laptop, but not my desktop o_0

Any idea why it wouldn't appear on my PC? It's a genuine copy of windows 7, and is up to date

Guessing either severe driver issues in Windows 10 or you are just not in the rollout yet. Relax. You'll eventually get it.

jsrv

The notification just popped up on mine without me needing to do anything (took ~12 hours to pop), I think whatever is doing the notification just checks in a set schedule that I missed earlier after doing a windows update

Top Bottom