• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Announces Windows 10

Downgraded to 8.1 then upgraded to the most recent version of Windows 10 preview as of this date. It was kind of cool getting an update for Windows 10 notification during the 8.1 install. If that life hacker flowchart is right, I'll get the upgrade to 10 on the 29th. Excited.

I really, really hope that 10159 has more than just that wallpaper. Since I downloaded 10158, I haven't been able to get into my start menu, use search (file explorer search works I think) and Edge vanished. Trying to personalize stuff doesn't work either. Probably other stuff, but I haven't been able to poke around.

Oh, and I can't right click anything on the taskbar.

Now to figure out how to get to Settings...

(Since my usual Notification -> All Settings shortcut isn't going to work either, since the Notification tab is MIA)

Nero3000

Heh been playing with Edge and some benchmarks such as Kraken, OCtane and Sunspider...

Edge bests or equals Chrome with a lower CPU utilisation in all of them. Awesome.

(also anyone get absurdly high CPU usage with Chrome on the neogaf page? is it the new logo?)

The Cowboy

Anyone else stuck at 0% again?

I was, go to services and stop the Window's update service, then click retry on the check for updates section - it should auto start it and make it download after a few seconds.

Edit.
Yay. Cortana is fully working for me now, accepting my commands and sending my emails via speech :D

Miker

Can anybody vouch for DS4Windows working on Windows 10? I think Win8 added some stuff with unsigned drivers and I'm wondering if that affects anything.

59 has some more icon changes. Noticed some new ones for Personalization and Display Settings in the right-click context menu. Then Control Panel has an entirely new set of icons. Control Panel sub-menus still have their old icons.

link1201

I was, go to services and stop the Window's update service, then click retry on the check for updates section - it should auto start it and make it download after a few seconds.

Edit.
Yay. Cortana is fully working for me now, accepting my commands and sending my emails via speech :D

Thanks for this.

The Cowboy

I know its only 1 number higher (and 300 fixes :D), but this build just feels better than 58 for me, it just seems snappier (and Cortana now works properly) - maybe its placebo TBH, but this feels release worthy for me now.

Edit.
Man, i didn't relise how good Cortana is, in the kitchen washing dishes and want music, no need to dry your hands to use the M/KB or move from the sink - just say "Play xyz (Oasis :D)" and it just starts, love it.

Double edit.
Holy crap, you can make it run apps, programs and games etc - i had no idea (I'm so out of touch). Just said "Open Grand Theft Auto 5" and it started the game, i love it, i love it so much.

Is there a way to block certain driver updates? My laptop's Intel HD graphics driver that is installed by windows update fails at wake-up. It's not a big issue as the system doesn't lock up, it just gives me a black screen for a couple more seconds than turning on the display instantly.

Using the old windows 8 driver works without issue. I've given feedback already about my particular issue, just wondering if we have any power at all over drivers.

clav

Is there a way to block certain driver updates? My laptop's Intel HD graphics driver that is installed by windows update fails at wake-up. It's not a big issue as the system doesn't lock up, it just gives me a black screen for a couple more seconds than turning on the display instantly.

Using the old windows 8 driver works without issue. I've given feedback already about my particular issue, just wondering if we have any power at all over drivers.

Nope. I wrote a complaint some posts ago.

What's worst is you can't hide updates without writing a script.

Here's a tutorial someone already wrote.

You will need to use an elevated session of PowerShell.

http://hmemcpy.com/2015/04/preventing-a-certain-windows-update-from-installing-on-windows-10/

Replace "Synaptics driver" with your computer's problematic update.

Karish

Sort of OT but if anyone wants my Yoga Tablet 2 w/ 10159 installed, PM me. I'm selling it, figured this thread could have someone interested.

Giolon

Both Build 10158 and 10159 won't save my network binding order. It keeps reverting to Wifi first, then my work's VPN, then Ethernet. I want Ethernet to be the highest, but no matter what I do I can't get it to save the re-ordering. :-/

Also, Blu-ray playback under PowerDVD 14/15 is borked in Win 10. It'll play fine for 2-3 minutes then the top part of the screen starts to get corrupted and the image will freeze.

I haven't been using my Windows 10 Insider virtual machine with how broken it was, but 10159 fixes most of the issues I had with it. I love that Cortana voice activation commands works. Start menu is more responsive. I'm so ready to upgrade in a month. Can't wait.

I am stuck at 0% in my download, kind of a bummer. Oh well I'll just let my pc sit while watching some TV. Anything noticeably different for those who are running 10159?

The Cowboy

I am stuck at 0% in my download, kind of a bummer. Oh well I'll just let my pc sit while watching some TV. Anything noticeably different for those who are running 10159?

This should make it work (hopefully).

dLMN8R

Lots of known problems with windows update hanging while downloading stuff. Thankfully pretty much all of them have known causes with fixes in the works or already done!

So I reinstalled windows 7, and then I try to install windows 10, and it hangs up at the same spot. I don't get it but I could cry. This is the most frustrating thing I have ever tried T deal with.

The Cowboy

Bummer, my start menu/Cortana is stopping working once again, this build was looking so good :-(. Just like earlier builds, the start menu/Cortana works well at 1st, then it just stops working after a while and clicking the button/clicking into the text box does nothing.

This is one bug that is driving me nuts, its just s random and requires a restart to fix it.

Okay, so... that was weird.

Quick background: I have a startup password enabled in my BIOS.

So, I come home earlier expecting to see the download process for 10158 finally done. It is, and all that's left is the final setup. This takes about 30 minutes, which is a longass time, but not outside the realm of possibility.

Then, for the next 4 hours, I have basically zero functionality. My account loads, I can look at stuff, but next to nothing can actually be done. The setting app is straight MIA (can't activate through run), the Start menu is absent, and for some bizarre reason I can't right-click on anything in the task bar. It's all I can do to access IE through the File Explorer and try to setup a boot disc with a fresh ISO, which I had to restart the download for several times due to this weird slowdown in the download speed where the more stuff it got, the slower it went, so the time estimate stayed constant. Needless to say, I was despairing, and starting to look for the manufacturer provided boot discs.

Then, suddenly, it all shows up? Like it was still downloading or something, and suddenly life is breathed back into it. Could the interrupted, protracted setup process be to blame here? Or what? I've noticed previously that my startup time is always a little bit longer than the official estimate, since after I log in I still have to wait a minute or two for things to settle down to the point of usability. I'm genuinely at a loss here.

wwm0nkey

Okay I never thought I was going to use Cortana....holy shit its actually very useful!

The music player is pretty good as well and I like how when you say "Hey Cortana" the music pauses until your done.

Holy fuck, no swiping back in edge? How can that be? I'm not õn the preview, so I can't try out stuff myself, but I just hope edge will be as good on tablets as metro internet explorer which feels almost perfect.

The Edge team has mentioned they are working on more touch-centric features for the browser, unclear when they will be released though.

This may be a dumb question, or one that no one knows the answer to yet, but it would be great if someone could help. I have a laptop from 2013 that is running a little slow. I'd like to reset it completely, but would that screw up my Windows 10 reservation?

The laptop came pre-installed with Windows 8 and I grabbed the free update to 8.1. If I perform a factory reset will I be able to re-upgrade to 8.1 and finally 10 with no issues?

This may be a dumb question, or one that no one knows the answer to yet, but it would be great if someone could help. I have a laptop from 2013 that is running a little slow. I'd like to reset it completely, but would that screw up my Windows 10 reservation?

The laptop came pre-installed with Windows 8 and I grabbed the free update to 8.1. If I perform a factory reset will I be able to re-upgrade to 8.1 and finally 10 with no issues?

If you're doing a refresh you don't need to reenter your key. I assume the offer would still stand.

If you reformat you can use your 8 liscene with an 8.1 iso on a DVD or USB stick to reinstall. Near the end of the installation process if you are connected to the internet, you will aromatically be prompted to join the Windows 10 upgrade offer

Drifters

For those on 10130 (I feel for you it feels like a busted hooker) if you switch to the Fast build (which I did) it may take a while to register on the Windows Update servers to find the 10158/59 build to download to you. Patience.

If you're doing a refresh you don't need to reenter your key. I assume the offer would still stand.

If you reformat you can use your 8 liscene with an 8.1 iso on a DVD or USB stick to reinstall. Near the end of the installation process if you are connected to the internet, you will aromatically be prompted to join the Windows 10 upgrade offer

That's the thing. My laptop didn't come with a Windows disc, so I wouldn't know where I can find my key. And for the record, when I talk about refreshing I'm talking about the option Windows gives you on the Update and Recovery settings. Do your instructions still apply if I go this route?

I'm not very computer literate, but I just want to get my computer is perfect working condition before the rollout of Windows 10.

Mr_Zombie

I really, really hope that 10159 has more than just that wallpaper. Since I downloaded 10158, I haven't been able to get into my start menu, use search (file explorer search works I think) and Edge vanished. Trying to personalize stuff doesn't work either. Probably other stuff, but I haven't been able to poke around.

Oh, and I can't right click anything on the taskbar.

Now to figure out how to get to Settings...

(Since my usual Notification -> All Settings shortcut isn't going to work either, since the Notification tab is MIA)

I had a similar problem when I created a new local account. Profile loaded but nothing on taskbar worked: start menu, cortana, clock, notification area, sound volume, wifi settings etc. Singing out or rebooting didn't help. Eventually I created another account (this faulty one was temporary anyway, just to delete my old microsoft account and set up it again) and everything started to work. Weird thing.

I know its only 1 number higher (and 300 fixes :D), but this build just feels better than 58 for me, it just seems snappier (and Cortana now works properly) - maybe its placebo TBH, but this feels release worthy for me now.

Edit.
Man, i didn't relise how good Cortana is, in the kitchen washing dishes and want music, no need to dry your hands to use the M/KB or move from the sink - just say "Play xyz (Oasis :D)" and it just starts, love it.

Double edit.
Holy crap, you can make it run apps, programs and games etc - i had no idea (I'm so out of touch). Just said "Open Grand Theft Auto 5" and it started the game, i love it, i love it so much.

I can't use it with speech (Cortana barely recognizes me speaking through my microphone) but I was impressed when I tried to add a new event to calendar just by typing: "Add new event named XYZ on September 1st 10:" and it worked. She filled out all fields and all I had to do was press "submit". It really is amazing.

Do music commands work only with the Microsoft Music app or can you control any music app using Cortana?

Animator

Took me about an hour of clicking the check for updates button like a madman to finally download build 10158. It seems totally random some people have it show up as soon as they switch to fast track. Try going back and forth between slow and fast and also check the "give me updates on other ms products"

BIGWORM

So, anyone else with Soundblaster Z still having problems? Not even manually switching to stereo output in the control panel is working this time. I'm gonna have to restore back to 10130 until this shit is fixed. This is getting ridiculous.

xBladeM6x

I assume people have been using preview builds of Windows 10. What's the general feeling about it when compared to Windows 7?

BIGWORM

I assume people have been using preview builds of Windows 10. What's the general feeling about it when compared to Windows 7?

Outside of the sound compability issues, I have no problems with it. All of my apps from Windows 7 and up run with no problems.

*fake edit* I found the problem (at least, for me) when it comes to Soundblaster Z not working properly, or giving me the "Failed to play test tone" error. It's a conflict with nVidia HD Audio drivers. I noticed one time when I disabled nVidia HD Audio to my Sony TV that, once I restarted it, I was able to play a test tone through SBZ with 5.1 out, even. Right now, before I uninstalled the drivers, I couldn't play a test tone with even stereo out after I rebooted. Now I'm debating on buying a 3.5mm male to male from my onboard sound to my TV's 3.5mm in. I may try reinstalling the nVidia HD Audio drivers separately, but there's no other way besides 3.5mm to ouput audio from my TV without those drivers.

*real edit* So my 5.1 sound started to sound junky during a YouTube video,so I switched to stereo..."Failed to play test tone." rolling back to 10130

Drifters

To give a fair comparison, I went from being a loyal Windows 7 user to getting my Surface Pro 3 with 8.1, loving 8.1 and then starting to use W10--- I now officially hate W7 and W8 compared to W10.... Microsoft really have nailed the design language on this OS and it is really, really smooth.

I downloaded the 10158 build and created a bootable USB from the ISO. It's installed okay -- I think, I had to leave for work when it was on the setting up stage, but should be fine. Anyway, it keeps asking for a key. I tried the one MS supplied for the 10130 build but it isn't working. Anybody know where to get one or what?

Rootbeer

Banned
dx12 is windows 10 exclusive, right?

Unless you count XBox One, yeah.

DX12, once developers start to adopt it meaninfully, is something all PC gamers are going to want access to. Which means they need Windows 10+. And adoption of DX12 will hopefully be more rapid than past DX versions, since the free upgrade from Windows 7, 8 & 8.1 to 10 gives developers extra incentive to fast track its implementation. And Remember, DX12 will work on a lot of older GPUs so it doesn't necessarily require new hardware to play games using it.

I'm excited about some of the things we've been hearing about DX12, such as the ability to use your integrated GPU found on many modern CPUs alongside your discreet GPU for extra performance. And the ability to link multiple GPUs together (like SLI) but use the combined pool of RAM instead of requiring them to be mirrored. Not sure how true some of these things will work out in practice are but there have been articles about these possibilities.

Top Bottom