• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Announces Windows 10

oxidax

I just got a new ssd and I want to use that for my windows instead of the old one. Will my reserve transfer? Does anybody know?

I want to wait until w10 comes out to see if I'll be able to just install it on the new drive, but I was just told that it has to be on the old drive and it's gonna be upgrade only and No image. Any ideas? :(

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Isn't this out soon? Time flies. I'm hoping Spartan will be good enough to replace Firefox.

link1201

Huh First issues for me. Stuck at 0% download. Any ideas?

Me too, the update from 158 to 159.

This worked for me.

I was, go to services and stop the Window's update service, then click retry on the check for updates section - it should auto start it and make it download after a few seconds.

Edit.
Yay. Cortana is fully working for me now, accepting my commands and sending my emails via speech :D

▼▼▼EDIT: Glad it worked for you as well. :) ▼▼▼

10158 is really solid on my little HP Stream 7. Still not going to risk it on my other machines though. One serious gripe is the keyboard not automatically opening when you touch a text entry field.

Caayn

Does anyone else have issues with Edge not loading avatars and certain images at all here on Gaf and other sites? IE11 on W8.1 had the same problem for me on multiple machines. Firefox and Opera work fine however. Using build 10159.

Would be dissapointing to see if MS still hasn't fixed that.

José Mourinho;170578742 said:
10158 is really solid on my little HP Stream 7. Still not going to risk it on my other machines though. One serious gripe is the keyboard not automatically opening when you touch a text entry field.

It doesn't pop up on legacy stuff or everything? You could try this app called touchme gesture to bring up the keyboard.

The Cowboy

Question for the testers out there.

When you boot your PC for the 1st time and you open action centre for the 1st time, do the options at the bottom show up for you?. For me after booting my PC, the very 1st time i open action centre all options are gone - yet as soon as i close it and then re-open it all options are back.

Not a major issue, just wondering if anyone else gets this.

Question for the testers out there.

When you boot your PC for the 1st time and you open action centre for the 1st time, do the options at the bottom show up for you?. For me after booting my PC, the very 1st time i open action centre all options are gone - yet as soon as i close it and then re-open it all options are back.

Not a major issue, just wondering if anyone else gets this.
Yeah. Everything is there when I first login. You should create a bug report about it with Windows Feedback.

This will upgrade to full once it's out right? I am using this over W7 and I assume it will go to full W10 afterwards.
That's what's supposed to happen if you installed over a valid activated version of 7 or 8. You should get full 10 on the 29th.

I just Downgraded both of my computers and upgraded to 10130 so I'm ready for the 29th.

My desktop PC has failed updating to 10159 twice even though my laptop updated just fine to 10159. I'm not sure what's up as I've never had this issue before. Hopefully there will be a solution or it will just work itself out.

I use my MSA on both systems so that shouldn't be an issue. Odd.

The Cowboy

This will upgrade to full once it's out right? I am using this over W7 and I assume it will go to full W10 afterwards.
The latest info states it will, if you upgraded from a genuine Windows 7/8/8.1 installation to the Windows 10 preview it should remain fully functional and activated. If the latest info is correct, only people who clean installed Windows 10 preview will have to reinstall Windows 7/8/8.1 to upgrade to the release version if they don't want to remain as Windows insider testers.

Latest info.
http://blogs.windows.com/bloggingwi...changes-to-windows-10-insider-preview-builds/

“I want to opt out of the Windows Insider Program on 7/29.” If you decide to opt-out of the program and upgrade to the 7/29 build you will be subject to exactly the same terms and conditions that govern the offer* that was extended to all Genuine Windows 7 and 8.1 customers. This is not a path to attain a license for Windows XP or Windows Vista systems. If your system upgraded from a Genuine Windows 7 or Windows 8.1 license it will remain activated, but if not, you will be required to roll back to your previous OS version or acquire a new Windows 10 license. If you do not roll back or acquire a new license the build will eventually expire.

Just checked, its already reported so i just up voted it.

Oh, I wonder if that one was mine. I noticed that issue with 10158 so I reported it.

So I couldn't find this option but do any of you know if you can mirror the task bar? So the start button would be on the right and the clock on the left? I would prefer that for tablet mode. Be easier for me to tap with my right hand. (I noticed I keep bringing my right hand over to tap the start button, lol)

I reset reset my Surface Pro 2 due to major performance issues and now I seem to be stuck on build 10122 as attempting to upgrade to the latest build(and the one before it) result in endless errors. The service trick doesn't seem to work for me :/

Any tips?

wwm0nkey

I was, go to services and stop the Window's update service, then click retry on the check for updates section - it should auto start it and make it download after a few seconds.

Edit.
Yay. Cortana is fully working for me now, accepting my commands and sending my emails via speech :D

Eh email though speech can't be that goo.......holy shit its amazing.

I'm on 10158 and I downloaded 10159 and hit restart now to install from settings. It's been sitting on "restarting" with the circle wheel for at least 30 minutes.

Should I let it continue to run...? For how long?

wwm0nkey

I'm on 10158 and I downloaded 10159 and hit restart now to install from settings. It's been sitting on "restarting" with the circle wheel for at least 30 minutes.

Should I let it continue to run...? For how long?

Keep it on, it took awhile for some of my friends.

Hulud

Is the newest preview build pretty stable/good?

I'm getting antsy about upgrading to Win10. I want to do it ASAP, and I'm in the preview program, but I don't feel like dealing with any crashes or weirdness...

Is the newest preview build pretty stable/good?

I'm getting antsy about upgrading to Win10. I want to do it ASAP, and I'm in the preview program, but I don't feel like dealing with any crashes or weirdness...
Some people are still experiencing some sound and misc driver issues due to how it updates. Honestly 10159 feels pretty close to done. I wouldn't really have a problem giving this to my mom at this point. Just be prepared for any hiccups that may occur I guess.

Chucker

Ugh, had genuine 8.1, upgraded to 10, did it for a while and ran fine, on of the builds didn't play nice so I clean installed 10.

I have to roll back to 8.1 to stay out of insider when 10 drops for real?

That's going to be a pain :(

As much as I like the Edge dark theme, the address bar going white when I scroll over it is disconcerting as fuck. Might have to switch to Light theme until that changes.

Hulud

Some people are still experiencing some sound and misc driver issues due to how it updates. Honestly 10159 feels pretty close to done. I wouldn't really have a problem giving this to my mom at this point. Just be prepared for any hiccups that may occur I guess.

Thanks. I think I'll wait because of this though:

I have to roll back to 8.1 to stay out of insider when 10 drops for real?

That's going to be a pain :(

Thanks. I think I'll wait because of this though:
I was under the impression that If you upgraded from a genuine copy of 7 or 8 you are under no obligation to stay an insider. You are forced to stay in the insider program/unliscened build if you either installed fresh from an ISO or never had a7 or 8 liscene to begin with. This is why I went back to my 8 installs. Once I get the free upgrade I'm going to do a fresh install since the activation will be handled by logging in with your Microsoft Account, which you should already have by now.

But it is smart to ride it out till you see that happens at launch to others. It could be rough in other ways.

whats the difference between core and pro? im a single user that plays games. which would I need?
If you play games you aren't affected by either variety. Pro is for people who tinker with settings, maintain networks, use os virtualization, and want absolute control over how and when windows delivers updates. You get basically the same experience as far as casual users are concerned.

If you play games you aren't affected by either variety. Pro is for people who tinker with settings, maintain networks, use os virtualization, and want absolute control over how and when windows delivers updates. You get basically the same experience as far as casual users are concerned.

Thanks. Will it let me choose which version I want on July 29th? I have Windows 8.1 PRO installed currently

ty_hot

I have a Lenovo computer that came with a Windows 8 pre-installed. Because of some reasons I dont remember I changed the OS a few times and ended up having another Win 8.1 (not original one) and the Win10 tech preview. I've been using both, but now I want to upgrade legally to Win10. Is there any way I could get my serial number or whatever that I first had?

I remember that before uninstalling the original windows I copied one serial number that I could see on 'My computer > properties', but when I installed the new one it didn't work. Shouldnt that have worked?

That restart screen is still up for me, been about 90 minutes :|

Edit: Still going....Do I just let this go for as long as possible? Will I brick the machine if I eventually have to hard shutdown out of this?

Edit 2: Updated and all good.

I have a Lenovo computer that came with a Windows 8 pre-installed. Because of some reasons I dont remember I changed the OS a few times and ended up having another Win 8.1 (not original one) and the Win10 tech preview. I've been using both, but now I want to upgrade legally to Win10. Is there any way I could get my serial number or whatever that I first had?

I remember that before uninstalling the original windows I copied one serial number that I could see on 'My computer > properties', but when I installed the new one it didn't work. Shouldnt that have worked?
There are different kinds of ISOs floating around that only work with certain kinds of keys. You got manufacturer OEM images, volume liscene images used by system builders, and retail. Perhaps you used a retail image.

Either way, tracking down your original key may be difficult if it isn't on a sticker under your laptop or digitally embedded in a uefi BIOS uniquely tied to your system. Hard to say how you could recover it without knowing how exactly it was originally installed.

If it's like under 5 years old and lacking a sticker, you may have an embedded key. Maybe someone else out there may have more helpful info. Good luck.

FyreWulff

whenever update got stuck in preview (about 5 times or so) i just hard shutdown windows and it came back out of it fine, but ymmv #yolo

whenever update got stuck in preview (about 5 times or so) i just hard shutdown windows and it came back out of it fine, but ymmv #yolo

Yeah I realized that the it just said restarting and didn't say it was updating with a shut down warning so I thought it just got hung up and was pretty safe to shut down, so that's what I did. Booted up fine and I hit restart now from Win Update again and it updated to 10159 fine.

Dmented

Banned
So I upgraded from Win8 to Win10 preview build and I'm trying to now update from 10130 to the latest. Windows update isn't showing any more updates and I'm in the fast channel and logged into my MS account.

Anything else I can do to make the new preview builds show up?

Mr_Zombie

So I upgraded from Win8 to Win10 preview build and I'm trying to now update from 10130 to the latest. Windows update isn't showing any more updates and I'm in the fast channel and logged into my MS account.

Anything else I can do to make the new preview builds show up?

If everything fails, you can always download an unofficial ISO created from Windows 10 update files: http://microsoft-news.com/download-windows-10-build-10159-iso/

Dmented

Banned
If everything fails, you can always download an unofficial ISO created from Windows 10 update files: http://microsoft-news.com/download-windows-10-build-10159-iso/

How would I go about installing it as an update? Do I need to put it on a USB stick or is there an exe I can use inside the ISO?

I tried those. It seems the issue is since it's a new install it can take up to 24 hours to register me in the fast ring. But if I can I'd like to update now using an ISO.

Top Bottom