• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Business Update Podcast | OT | SEGABOX |

Bernardougf

This was brilliant by the way... control LEAK that you will port starfield, halo and gears and just watch the internet and psycho fans go bananas while you play Diablo 4, then arrange a pod cast update one week later and deliver the news that you are beginning porting for other systems and throw 04 games no one gives a fuck but at the same time the 01 game that was good last year but is not a flagship title and now see the fans sight in relief and go "wow is a nothing burguer" ...

They officially went low-key third party as of now and fanboys are saying "nothing burger" ... Phil is a genius

And anyone, at this point, that still believes in anything he says, really ? Just dont spread your genes, the 🌎 thanks you.

Last edited:

Raven117

Speaking of telling them and not listening...

"You mentioned that Starfield and Indiana Jones aren’t part of the four despite rumors, but will those ever come to PS5? Can you rule that out?"

I don’t think we should as an industry ever rule out a game going to any other platform. We’re focused on these four games and learning from the experience.
But I don’t want to create a false expectation on those other platforms that this is somehow the first four to get over the dam and then the dam’s going to open and that everything else is coming, that’s not the plan today. I also don’t want to mislead customers on those other platforms. We’re launching these four games, and we’re excited about it. We’re excited about the announce and everything else, but we’ll see what happens for our business.

Wtf is even going on in here?
Tim And Eric Omg GIF
Clearly they are going to test the waters to see if they can get more people playing "Xbox" games on other platforms. If it all starts looking good, they will make the transition into just being a third-party publisher. They may see if they can straddle the line next gen with a sort of cloud/streaming box with some exclusivity to the big titles (so they can make some money on the hardware). One has to remember, they are also fighting a war against Apple. That's their true adversary. Not Sony. If they can find a way to gain an advantage over Apple, that's what they are going to do. +-

I think the days of head to head competition are quickly coming to an end. Just read what he is saying. He isn't going to go out there and say "Today, we withdraw from the console wars" They want to keep selling some consoles and GamePasses. However. CLEARLY they are shifting strategies.

Last edited:
Only as long as there is "growth" IMHO.

All three of them looked very shaky IMO, and kept having moments where they used two words meaning the same thing in lists, almost to the point of being medicated in Phil and Sarah's case, and the repetitive word "growth" means they aren't in control anymore IMO. Accountants and Heads of HR that don't want to make people redundant because Xbox and Gamepass can't do the business for growth to cover the risks of the billions they are spending in dev costs each year have a gun to their head based on the podcast performances and vague info.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
The faster the generation releases the better. Zen 5 and RDNA 5+ will be a substantial leap over current generation consoles.
Not to derail this thread...but might you have some info about some pc components I can munch on in the near future?

bx3A8x.gif

Last edited:
I mean, Core numbers are included but considering Core is just XBL Gold rebranded, 34 million combined is actually pretty low.

Indicates that the service really has stagnated over the past two years, and there has been heavy churn in subscription rates. Things MS would have to address somehow or another.

Yes we'll take almost two weeks of potentially massive rumors to simmer over, drive diehards in the fanbase insane, not refute a single one of the rumors the entire time when we've been quick to debunk false rumors within hours previously, hold an emergency town hall in the middle of the week, and rush out a scripted podcast with faux-interviews....

...just for the lolz and treat the announcement of four old XGS game ports like earth-shattering news instead of the simple tweet & blog post they were worth.

Okay champ, take your victory lap. There's no award for you but you can pretend there's one at the end. The podcast today was never going to touch on all of those rumors or even most of them. Just enough to clarify a few things closest to happening timeline-wise, just enough to placate the diehards in the community, just enough ambiguity to leave lots of wiggle room where needed.

We'll see in the next 12-24 months how the things in that Discord leak are gradually verified as true one-by-one. Until then, enjoy the lap around the parking lot.

plip.plop

Every single GaaS game should be available on all possible platforms.. that's just the nature of the biz model, so I really don't know why they don't launch Halo Multiplayer on PlayStation and keep the silly single player bs on Xbox
I agree. Every 3rd party and console maker should be putting their multiplayer games on everything from day one. I also hope they start to split games up that have a single and multiplayer feature. I don't do multiplayer and will never be interested in them. Let me pay $35-40 on day one, otherwise, I will wait for it to go on sale and wait until it hits 50% off like I do now.

Topher

Gold Member
Oh shit I totally missed it. What I miss? Will have to scroll back and read now damn.

Four previous Xbox exclusive games are going to PlayStation and Switch. Not Starfield and not Indiana Jones. Spencer didn't say what apps. Speculation is that they are Grounded, Hi Fi Rush, Sea of Thieves and Pentiment

My take on it: This isn't as impactful as some thought it would be if say a big game such as Starfield were going multiplatform. It isn't a nothing burger as some are pretending either.

Phil Spencer would not comment on any more games in the future. I think this is just the beginning though. I said a couple of days ago that Microsoft very well may be easing folks into this.

Ashamam

Clearly they are going to test the waters to see if they can get more people playing "Xbox" games on other platforms.
They have the metrics already for AAA titles. COD and D4 they know exactly how much money they would leave on the table for exclusives. They might test the waters for niche titles and genres but to think they haven't already built a strategy around AAA titles would make them a bit amateur don't you think? Just because they didn't announce it explicitly today doesn't mean it isn't already in place. In fact they literally opened the door to it in no uncertain terms. So the only question that remains is the perceived value they place on exclusives for GP growth.

So basically I think they have already made the decision for the first round of AAA titles. They might reassess after they release ofc and its not to say its Day 1 or anything, could be timed etc but I don't think the decision would hinge on the first 4 'announced' titles.

Based on Phils body language I don't think he is a particularly happy man, I don't think he believes in multiplat. So from that my belief is more will be multiplat than you think and its because Phil lost autonomy on the issue.

Yoboman

It turned out to be a big nothing burger. Two games we've known about forever. SoT and Hi-Fi Rush. The other two will likely be other live service games like Grounded etc.
It's not a nothing burger, you're just in the acceptance stage and willing to hope the bleeding stops at games less prominent in list wars

Would it be a nothing burger if Playstation brought say Returnal, Ratchet, Demons Souls and GT7 to Xbox and Nintendo? Would it be nothing if Nintendo did that with Splatoon, Animal Crossing, Metroid Dread and Bayonetta 3 to other systems?

Then said they will assess the rest of their portfolio case by case

ChorizoPicozo

Gold Member
As far as this presentation is concerned...they haven't DONE anything yet?
like what?

their talking points:

Day one First party games on Game Pass? they are already doing that.

Cross-Save, Cross-Play, Cross-progression, play anywhere?
They are already doing that.

putting first party games on other platforms?
They already release game on PC and some even on Plays Station and Nintendo.

Minecraft legends most recently

Is it so hard to for folks to just wait and see what happens, instead of everybody trying to push their own narrative?
everyone is pushing their own narrative. plus, some people make a living just talking, making articles about it.

Isn't this how these rumors got out of hand in the first place? They said what they said...let's see if they can deliver on that.
you are in forum, where people like to talk, speculate about things.

There's plenty of people who are salivating to hold their feet to the fire should they diverge from what they've said in the interview.
that is thanks to MS/Xbox/Phil Spencer's track record of falling to deliver to their own promises and vision.

On Gaf alone, I've heard Starfield is going to PS5, Indiana Jones is going to PS5. Both denied in the presentation...ok...well let's see.
based on those leaks from influences and insiders

I've heard gamepass is not gonna do day and date anymore....also denied. We'll see.
we'll see what?

that is the point.

no one trust MS's own statements. (historic evidence).

All we have to go off of is their word...for now.
and for many years already.
Everything else is speculation and no number of bullet point lists is gonna change that. So, save it.
again. MS's own track record is why you can't save shit.

Bernardougf

Clearly they are going to test the waters to see if they can get more people playing "Xbox" games on other platforms. If it all starts looking good, they will make the transition into just being a third-party publisher. They may see if they can straddle the line next gen with a sort of cloud/streaming box with some exclusivity to the big titles (so they can make some money on the hardware). One has to remember, they are also fighting a war against Apple. That's their true adversary. Not Sony. If they can find a way to gain an advantage over Apple, that's what they are going to do. +-

I think the days of head to head competition are quickly coming to an end. Just read what he is saying. He isn't going to go out there and say "Today, we withdraw from the console wars" They want to keep selling some consoles and GamePasses. However. CLEARLY they are shifting strategies.
I dont think they are testing anything.. if they really wanted to test, launch Halo MCC and see what happens... these 04 "nobody cares" games is for comforting and easing their fanbase ... for whats to come.

It would be the same if sony would test xbox interest with freacking Stardust .

Last edited:
This was brilliant by the way... control LEAK that you will port starfield, halo and gears and just watch the internet and psycho fans go bananas while you play Diablo 4, then arrange a pod cast update one week later and deliver the news that you are beginning porting for other systems and throw 04 games no one gives a fuck but at the same time the 01 game that was good last year but is not a flagship title and now see the fans sight in relief and go "wow is a nothing burguer" ...

They officially went low-key third party as of now and fanboys are saying "nothing burger" ... Phil is a genius

And anyone, at this point, that still believes in anything he says, really ? Just dont spread your genes, the 🌎 thanks you.

It was also a massive waste of time and IMHO disrespectful of people's time. This could've all be cleared up in a blog post last week, although I think the reason it wasn't is because most or all of the original rumor (I'm referring to that Discord image leak) is in fact true, and publicly denying that could cause legal issues if it's true.

So much more discourse could've been had over, y'know, actual games announced and released? Instead all this drama was kicked up over Xbox and ultimately the PR response and optics in the podcast were rather tepid. Which on the hand should've expected to be the case, but still.

cqyBuGR.jpg

Anyway that's enough Xbox talk for me for...a while 🤣

Topher

Gold Member
4 games as predicted coming to PlayStation, but not Starfield or Indiana Jones at this time. Diablo 4 to GP and GP still getting games day 1. Phil looks like he's aged, cyborg still looks like a cyborg and Booty still looks like hes been dug up. All 3 collectively looked uneasy to me.

Ah yeah, I forgot about Diablo 4 in my reply

PaintTinJr

Oh its not roses but its also not a funeral
I'm not so sure, it seems more like the patient is dead just they can't find an on call doctor to call it, for the nurse to finish her shift.

The word soup and double speak was crazy, I seriously couldn't look away, like watching an episode of a comedy like Phoenix nights. Crazy skills for the three of them to talk such positive rubbish to disguise that their failure was all horse before cart. Why buy publisher for exclusives if you've never had a userbase to sell to that could sustain the games with viable sales numbers? The worst comment made IMO, was when Sarah put the word creatives and Palworlds in the same sentence to make a completely hollow statement.

4 games as predicted coming to PlayStation, but not Starfield or Indiana Jones at this time. Diablo 4 to GP and GP still getting games day 1. Phil looks like he's aged, cyborg still looks like a cyborg and Booty still looks like hes been dug up. All 3 collectively looked uneasy to me.

Sarah was the only worthwhile part of the podcast. NGL she looks mighty fine.

Bernardougf

It was also a massive waste of time and IMHO disrespectful of people's time. This could've all be cleared up in a blog post last week, although I think the reason it wasn't is because most or all of the original rumor (I'm referring to that Discord image leak) is in fact true, and publicly denying that could cause legal issues if it's true.

So much more discourse could've been had over, y'know, actual games announced and released? Instead all this drama was kicked up over Xbox and ultimately the PR response and optics in the podcast were rather tepid. Which on the hand should've expected to be the case, but still.

cqyBuGR.jpg

Anyway that's enough Xbox talk for me for...a while 🤣
That's because you are still thinking this whole "show" since last week was for you.. it was not.. it was for their fans and only for them ... just wait and see unfold

panda-zebra

The only waters being tested by releasing these 4 smaller/older gaas games on PS & Switch is the reaction of their own fanbase - as Phil said they're well up on releasing games on PS & Switch already, they already know everything they'd need to know. They don't need to test how once-exclusive games will do when releasing later for 'reasons' other than to see how their own fanbase reacts and warms up to the prospect of less and less exclusives as they earn more and more money.

LastBattle

I was one of the nothing burger crowd, because that’s literally what it ended up being. 4 games and sure, future consideration for specific games where it makes business sense. The entire gaming community went nuts over the past two weeks with the sky is falling scenarios. Again, it ended up being a dry, bland nothing burger .

I’m actually indifference to what happens, I have all three systems so have no real
Skin the game. As long as they keep releasing first party day 1 to Gamepass I’m good.

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
I'm not so sure, it seems more like the patient is dead just they can't find an on call doctor to call it, for the nurse to finish her shift.

The word soup and double speak was crazy, I seriously couldn't look away, like watching an episode of a comedy like Phoenix nights. Crazy skills for the three of them to talk such positive rubbish to disguise that their failure was all horse before cart. Why buy publisher for exclusives if you've never had a userbase to sell to that could sustain the games with viable sales numbers? The worst comment made IMO, was when Sarah put the word creatives and Palworlds in the same sentence to make a completely hollow statement.
I think they are not as close to death as many had hoped
He didn't have rumors, he spent the last 2 weeks practically abandoning the console eco-system and burning bridges on the way. Basically, he's a weasel.
I said when that shit started some people were going to be looking pretty silly soon enough

Seems some around here are starting to skate on thin ice as well :)

Gudji

Guys even if they wanted they can't release more games their studios probably don't have devkits (or enough yet).

Raven117

They have the metrics already for AAA titles. COD and D4 they know exactly how much money they would leave on the table for exclusives. They might test the waters for niche titles and genres but to think they haven't already built a strategy around AAA titles would make them a bit amateur don't you think? Just because they didn't announce it explicitly today doesn't mean it isn't already in place. In fact they literally opened the door to it in no uncertain terms. So the only question that remains is the perceived value they place on exclusives for GP growth.

So basically I think they have already made the decision for the first round of AAA titles. They might reassess after they release ofc and its not to say its Day 1 or anything, could be timed etc but I don't think the decision would hinge on the first 4 'announced' titles.

Based on Phils body language I don't think he is a particularly happy man, I don't think he believes in multiplat. So from that my belief is more will be multiplat than you think and its because Phil lost autonomy on the issue.

I dont think they are testing anything.. if they really wanted to test, launch Halo MCC and see what happens... these 04 "nobody cares" games is for comforting and easing their fanbase ... for whats to come.

It would be the same if sony would test xbox interest with freacking Stardust .
Oh I agree. I was being charitable.

Astray

The only waters being tested by releasing these 4 smaller/older gaas games on PS & Switch is the reaction of their own fanbase - as Phil said they're well up on releasing games on PS & Switch already, they already know everything they'd need to know. They don't need to test how once-exclusive games will do when releasing later for 'reasons' other than to see how their own fanbase reacts and warms up to the prospect of less and less exclusives as they earn more and more money.
It's sales not fanbase reaction. They left the fanbase seething for over 2 weeks, you don't do that if you value them in any way shape or form.

They are trying to gauge if they can get good coin from timed exclusivity or if they need to kick it up a notch and go day 1 to get max revenue.

They need to get out of the red ASAP.

Ashamam

Enjoying the input from the ‘body language’ experts - when they show up you know it’s a good time…
I'm not an expert, but I also like everyone else spend my entire life 'reading' people. Phil didn't look comfortable to me. Deep breath as he launches into the exclusive comment at the start. Could be wrong but just feels overall like this isn't his baby.

I was one of the nothing burger crowd, because that’s literally what it ended up being. 4 games and sure, future consideration for specific games where it makes business sense. The entire gaming community went nuts over the past two weeks with the sky is falling scenarios. Again, it ended up being a dry, bland nothing burger .

I’m actually indifference to what happens, I have all three systems so have no real
Skin the game. As long as they keep releasing first party day 1 to Gamepass I’m good.
Please make this your screen name.

kebaldo

My bet is high end traditional console and some sort of handheld, dockable or not I don't know
To me the future is looking like this: 90/95% of the xbox games realising everywhere but Microsoft will put out the most powerfull "box" (800/1k$ range) and they will push more on the "play the absolute best version here" to push the console. + a Switch like handheld that's going to take the place of the Series S. And they are going to leave the "middle ground" (4/600$) to Playstation and use the platform to move the big numbers on their games.

Top Bottom