• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Business Update Podcast | OT | SEGABOX |

Xbox killing themselves was always plan B

Just means i have to go back to Plan A

yCTqjNB.png

panda-zebra

I had really hoped they would have went a little deeper in upcoming hardware but interesting to see what Xbox meant by this Tweet of new console and controller options this holiday

The meltdowns aren't coming from team green at this point

Eh, that could just be the cylindrical digital series x and a revised pad with DS-like features Phil's known to be fond of.
No one knows that yet, that's why it's a test.

I can see Hifi Rush being a surprise hit imo, especially with the haptics on the dualsense.
But that's the thing. I don't believe it's a test of anything other than how well prepped they've got their existing subscriber/fanbase. It's not money in the here and now, it's not magic sales data, it's just easing people into the idea of exclusives not being a thing 5+ years from now. HiFi RUSH could work well with the controller, I agree with that, and it's great that a decent game is getting more of an audience.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
They didn't struggle they are just having a hard time accepting it
Absolutely. I'm seeing lots of meltdowns from the blue team and more salty comments as to why Xbox players aren't upset when they should be. Lol
You apparently didn’t watch it 😂
I did. Just watched it. They were clear as day on everything and spoke facts.

This is what I took away from it

- 4 games will go multiplatform as microsoft wants to either sign off sequels or expand the player base on older community driven titles. This, as with all business decisions will be testing the waters on what they do in the future.

- Xbox is still the best place to play their games and gamepass will get you day one Xbox games

- if you invested in Xbox they promise to do right by their fanbase and will work to ensure your investments are safe. Look at bc work in the past and support across generations.

- new powerful hardware is coming for those that want it.

- They want gamers to be able to play whee they want so more games will probs go to other platforms as they need to.

- console environment ad we know it has stagnated and all companies including AMD expect the console market to shrink. It is simple not sustainable to explore the traditional route of exclusive software on one device.

We will see others share that last sentiment in time.
Just Phil saying things that XBox fans want to hear (right now) but at the same time saying nothing to ease their fears (about the future). So typical Phil really.

(they said pretty much everything I expected them to say)

He absolutely eased all the fears you could have for the future. Blatantly sat there and said if you are invested in Xbox you will be looked after and it's on micorosoft to ensure they do right by their customers.

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
Could be...I don't see t he point in speculating. Speculating is what got us blowing things out of proportion. I get that it's much less exciting not to speculate, but this was the time to lay it all out and it was pretty anticlimatic...probably by design.

So if this is all we get for now....so be it. At some point it'll be "shit or get off the pot" time. When that time comes, we will all look back on this thread and this conversation and we'll know.

Right now, we really don't know much. I predicted this.
Its a 1st party studio. Reporters asked Disney and Bethesda and got no answer. Thats not even speculation. Thats basically confirmation.

Astray

But that's the thing. I don't believe it's a test of anything other than how well prepped they've got their existing subscriber/fanbase. It's not money in the here and now, it's not magic sales data, it's just easing people into the idea of exclusives not being a thing 5+ years from now.
That's the other thing, the user base simply doesn't warrant locking up 3-4 AAA games to it, even if gamepass wasn't a thing.

This strategy is a capitulation to competitors, but Microsoft can afford to play a few more rounds and see how much they can get out of it in terms of revenue and leverage.

Ashamam

I can see Hifi Rush being a surprise hit imo, especially with the haptics on the dualsense.
Not the level of hit they need to make much of a dent in the GP deficit. For that they need heavy hitters. All depends on how they have revised internal targets. If they are say trying to balance out a miss on say a target of 50 million GP users you are talking a hole billions deep. Like perhaps 3 or 4 billion annually. Thats a lot of hifi rush type games to sell on other platforms. Even at the wildest sales projection you would probably need 10 or more a year assuming say 5 million sales.

Nope has to be the big hitters to make a real dent. Even then it can't be just one a year or something.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Really thought that thing was dead and if Xbox is indeed teasing simply a refresh of an already faltering console coming out to compete with a PS5 Pro, just wow

Some of the blue members are struggling

It's been a tough 24 to 48 hours for the dedicated blue team followers. I don't think they've heard anything they really want to hear from either sony or microsoft.

There's a lot of uncertainty around playstation for this year and beyond and I guess they feel they need to project that nervous energy somewhere else.

Last edited:

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Its a 1st party studio. Reporters asked Disney and Bethesda and got no answer. Thats not even speculation. Thats basically confirmation.
Confirmation of what...that Blade isn't exclusive?

Not sure that would hold up in court. It could just as easily be confirmation that things haven't been sorted yet.

If there can be multiple outcomes you can't also say it's confirmation.

Confirmation is confirmation.

Bernardougf

You're not coping very well are you?
Titanic is sinking, all the boats are gone and he is celebrating that he found a place by the band while laughing and taunting at the ones that are at the boats without this beautiful classical music.

Better ignore the crazies brotther

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
Confirmation of what...that Blade isn't exclusive?

Not sure that would hold up in court. It could just as easily be confirmation that things haven't been sorted yet.

If there can be multiple outcomes you can't also say it's confirmation.

Confirmation is confirmation.
They announced it years early to promote the game thats barely in development. If it is exclusive you flash it at the end of the trailer as a huge selling point to sell consoles. They not only didnt do that but avoided direct questions about it twice and didnt mention it today either. You have to use your brain eventually and assume they arent telling people the whole truth when they've declined multiple opportunities to clarify.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Just caught up. Nothing surprising whatsoever, not shocked to not hear about Starfield yet. You have to assume the four are Sea of Thieves, Hi-Fi Rush, Grounded and Pentiment right? Makes sense.

It's more what they said between the lines that was interesting but I need to go back and re-listen tomorrow. The key takeaway is that it's going to be an ongoing discussion on what games stay or go to what platform when and how - floodgates open situation. I think anyone going into this expecting "the death of Xbox" or even an immediate announcement of the death of Xbox hardware was really huffing, but this wasn't just smoke without fire. I think we're gonna see the slow transition to the majority of Xbox titles coming to Playstation / Switch 2 after a certain time. Starfield is an interesting one because the longer they wait, the less relevant it becomes, but you have to imagine it hasn't tipped the scales like they wanted.

And shit, why not. Anything that puts more games on more platforms should be cheered on by consumers. I'm still waiting for Sony to put their shit on PC day and date so I can never buy another Playstation and it sounds like we're heading that way too.

Astray

Not the level of hit they need to make much of a dent in the GP deficit. For that they need heavy hitters. All depends on how they have revised internal targets. If they are say trying to balance out a miss on say a target of 50 million GP users you are talking a hole billions deep. Like perhaps 3 or 4 billion annually. Thats a lot of hifi rush type games to sell on other platforms. Even at the wildest sales projection you would probably need 10 or more a year assuming say 5 million sales.

Nope has to be the big hitters to make a real dent. Even then it can't be just one a year or something.
What they want to see is simple: Can I get respectable sales (not amazing) with a delayed release tactic? They're doing this to add to margin not for volume (for now), the Xbox division is fighting for its survival and is trying to find some sort of middle ground with Satya.

Sony saw their exclusive 1P games release on PC with sales that are far inferior to their console releases for the most part, but they treat this basically as a free profit and the chairman seemed like he wants to increase the cadence of those delayed releases.

I'm assuming Microsoft wants to understand the PS/Nintendo market more before they start selling the family jewels.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Sidenote: Pretty crazy how irrelevant Gerstmann and the classic Giant Bomb crew have become since moving on to do Patreons or whatever the fuck.

He used to have sitdowns with Spencer and other notables during E3. Now he's lucky if he even has some rando friend on an episode of his awkward podcast . The pull is long gone.

Meanwhile Moriarty has had discussions with Levine, Jaffe and will soon have Jonathan Blow on as a guest. He's just completely decimated the competition.

100%

StueyDuck

This threads a weird argument from both sides who seem equally wrong.

Not every xbox game is coming to PS tomorrow and there's no real solid evidence that they will.

But there is also definitely going to be more than 4 games ported over, if I'm willing to bet, halo infinite is absolutely Coming over. A f2p mp shooter with a battle pass. Why wouldn't you port it. But there's also a chance that yes one day all Xbox games could be multiplat.

But there really isn't any solid evidence with that pr fluff one way or another so why even argue whether it's just 4 or all.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
What I find really strange is the users that are absolutely obsessed with Xbox games going to other platforms.

Microsoft even said that these 4 games are a test bed for that. Of course more games will goto other platforms if microsoft sees the benefit of it.

They aren't denying that at all.

It's like some people want micorsoft to make a concrete answer on something right now and stick to that. No business can do that. What is wrong with people on the Internet, they can't be that stupid....can they? Lol

Last edited:

Shrap

I think the outrage after the leaks caused Microsoft to slow their approach.

I bet Starfield releases this November, optimized for the PS5 Pro.
It really doesn't matter. These releases alone do massive damage to Xbox as a platform.

They either should've released no games on rival consoles if they wanted to stay competitive in the console space or they should just release everything if it's all about going all in on software and gamepass.

Phil the clown will now be forever known as the man who not only failed to deliver in an entire decade but also straight up destroyed the Xbox console platform. Impressive he has managed to outdo Mattrick so easily.

ChorizoPicozo

Gold Member
Ok I'll bite...is the track record those bullet points you posted earlier?
the bullet points were an answer to this:
As far as this presentation is concerned...they haven't DONE anything yet
to point out that the talking points in the presentation are things that they are already done.

When I say 'track record,' I am talking about MS-Xbox/Phil Spencer saying things that come back to bite them in the ass down the line

Ozzie666

Oxygen, Growth. My main take away or feeling was any game the involves a community or massive online pressence, will most likely go everywhere. The more players, the better it is for the developer. Microsoft want's it's own Fortnite or massive microtransaction success. I wonder if the Diablo 4 expansion will be part of game pass, or Diablo 4 being free (GP) is to get that $70 expansion purchase.

I'm not sure I would call it a nothing burger, but it was a very 'dipping the toes' in water feeling and leaving the door open for much more. The handheld or tablet approach seems even more likely for them. It's good to know they aren't stopping hardware yet.

DrFigs

What I find really strange is the users that are absolutely obsessed with Xbox games going to other platforms.

Microsoft even said that these 4 games are a test bed for that. Of course more games will goto other platforms if microsoft sees the benefit of it.

They aren't denying that at all.

It's like some people want micorsoft to make a concrete answer on something right now and stick to that. No business can do that. What is wrong with people on the Internet, they can't be that stupid....can they? Lol
Some are in the denial stage: "phew it's only 4 games and then they'll stop the multiplatform releases".
To be fair, I was there too w/ playstation pc releases before i realized they weren't stopping.

GHG

Titanic is sinking, all the boats are gone and he is celebrating that he found a place by the band while laughing and taunting at the ones that are at the boats without this beautiful classical music.

Better ignore the crazies brotther

I really don't get it, his behaviour is as if nothing has been confirmed. When in fact in an unprecedented move, 4 games have been confirmed to be going to all other consoles, and they have rufused to rule out more in the future. The rumours stated fewer would be confirmed today and we've never seen a platform holder announce something like that before, but yet the behaviour is as if we are living in a parallel universe.

twilo99

Gold Member
So, are people going to accept what they heard from Xbox today or is there another conspiracy agenda to push 🤣

I expect full on cognitive dissonance to commence for a few days... of course with the usual

"don't trust phil"
"xbox bad management"
"xbox ded soon"
"no more xbox hardware"
"m$ evil"

Kinda boring to be honest

Absolutely. I'm seeing lots of meltdowns from the blue team and more salty comments as to why Xbox players aren't upset when they should be. Lol

I did. Just watched it. They were clear as day on everything and spoke facts.

This is what I took away from it

- 4 games will go multiplatform as microsoft wants to either sign off sequels or expand the player base on older community driven titles. This, as with all business decisions will be testing the waters on what they do in the future.

- Xbox is still the best place to play their games and gamepass will get you day one Xbox games

- if you invested in Xbox they promise to do right by their fanbase and will work to ensure your investments are safe. Look at bc work in the past and support across generations.

- new powerful hardware is coming for those that want it.

- They want gamers to be able to play whee they want so more games will probs go to other platforms as they need to.

- console environment ad we know it has stagnated and all companies including AMD expect the console market to shrink. It is simple not sustainable to explore the traditional route of exclusive software on one device.

We will see others share that last sentiment in time.

He absolutely eased all the fears you could have for the future. Blatantly sat there and said if you are invested in Xbox you will be looked after and it's on micorosoft to ensure they do right by their customers.
That sounds great on the surface…but let’s break down the simplicity of them putting any, literally ANY exclusives on another console. Testing waters is fine…but they aren’t testing anything other than Xbox fans patience with those 4 supposed games. This is clearly a slow trickle to the inevitable, and only people who turn a blind eye to business see it as any different.

Ashamam

What they want to see is simple: Can I get respectable sales (not amazing) with a delayed release tactic?
Its more than that though. Not only are they missing targets on GP, they keep making the pie bigger with acquisitions. Those have to at least make the return they were making before MS bought them. MS automatically gut revenue by putting them on GP. They assumed they would recover that revenue with increased GP subs and so far that is definitely not happening, or at least nowhere near how much it needs to. Doesn't that kind of compel MS to make the money elsewhere.

So the way I see it with subs flat not only do they have to recover funds from their 'old' 1st party content, they absolutely have to leverage the new content from ABK and probably Bethesda with multiplat. I'll be astonished if they eat the loss of future exclusives from those studios. There is no way Starfield is performing as intended given it was no doubt supposed to contribute to a GP spike.

Top Bottom