• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft should take advantage of Concord going offline and shadow drop Halo Infinite Multiplayer on PS5 this weekend

ManaByte

Despite what many people here believe, the MP gameplay in Halo Infinite is still among the absolute best in any current GaaS shooter.

The multiplayer mode is separate from the campaign and has always been F2P.

With Concord being deleted on Friday, MS could take advantage of it and shadow drop the F2P Halo Infinite MP mode on PS5 this weekend.

Then PS5 owners can become addicted to Husky Raid CTF.

Mownoc

I don't see the correlation between launching Halo Infinite and Concord being shut down at all. Other than being a multiplayer shooter they're very different games. It's not a team based hero shooter.

They should do it anyway though.

Last edited:

Assaulty

As somebody that still competes in and plays Infinite daily, the game, if it would launch like it is today, wouldve been a massive hit.

So basically, a typical 343 release. The game now features enough casual and competitive content and has loads of cosmetics and free events.

Unfortunately they got their shit together when 99% of the population has already left. I don't think a ps5 release will move the needle enough for anything to change. Especially not with BO6 release in the near future.

I truly believe it takes one smash hit game for Halo to be back. I just dont think 343 are the studio capable of doing it within a normal timeframe.

nowhat

You're a genius OP! Companies spend months porting games to other platforms, when they could do it in just a few days! Not to mention spending time with certification processes and all that other red tape - just shadow drop the game and be done with it!

Last edited:

Hrk69

Gold Member
Dj Khaled Yes GIF by VH1

ManaByte

You're a genius OP! Companies spend months porting games to other platforms, when they could do it in just a few days! Not to mention spending time with certification processes and all that other red tape - just shadow drop the game and be done with it!

But that Discord screenshot everyone worships says MS has EVERY game already ported to PS5 and ready for release. So they should be ready to drop it any time.

hinch7

Sony wouldn't allow that but it would be hilarious.

Halo might even gain some traction given that there's a lul in releases outide of Wukong and Astrobot.

Natsuko

As somebody that still competes in and plays Infinite daily, the game, if it would launch like it is today, wouldve been a massive hit.

So basically, a typical 343 release. The game now features enough casual and competitive content and has loads of cosmetics and free events.

Unfortunately they got their shit together when 99% of the population has already left. I don't think a ps5 release will move the needle enough for anything to change. Especially not with BO6 release in the near future.

I truly believe it takes one smash hit game for Halo to be back. I just dont think 343 are the studio capable of doing it within a normal timeframe.

And unfortunately, Microsoft has had this problem with some first-party games in recent years. The approach is rubbish. It's easy to lose people's trust. It's hard to convince them later that they have learnt from it and offer a better product that is worthwhile after all. Everyone learns this very early on in marketing studies. But somewhere at Microsoft there are people in positions of responsibility who think it's okay to play with people's trust. You can see the course is working well.

I found Halo Infinite really okay at launch. I played through it once or twice and hung out a bit in the MP. And then I waited. There was the couch co-op disaster years ago with another part and warm words that they had learnt from it. Halo not again without couch co-op. I've played through every Halo with my husband in couch co-op. Often through the first night after launch. Of course they cancelled couch co-op again. And I finally cancelled Halo. And I bloody loved Halo. I've played Halo since the first part on the Xbox. It's like marriages, sometimes it's better to get divorced.

Halo and I are now divorced. Irreconcilable differences. Enough warm words for me. The game could be as awesome as it wanted to be. There are dozens of games coming out every week. I'd rather try my hand at a game from a developer who doesn't repeatedly break promises. Who lies once ...

Ozriel

M$FT
PS5 owners will be playing Astrobot this weekend and not care about that other GaaS that died.

Chances of up to 2% of the PS5 player base playing Astrobot by this weekend are extremely slim. But I admire your optimism.

Same optimism expressed by the OP expressing a miraculous port to PS5 over one weekend.

Last edited:

BigLee74

Love Halo Infinite but have hardly touched the MP. Got fed up with the same few maps at the beginning, and that ship has sailed.

Played fantastically though, no denying it!

Bring it to PS, and get some noob fodder in there!

Last edited:

Three

Chances of up to 2% of the PS5 player base playing Astrobot by this weekend are extremely slim. But I admire your optimism.
That's what happens with percentages when the install base is large and based on different interests. And what percentage do you believe will be playing Halo Infinite this weekend exactly? What percentage of steam players are playing it even?

Last edited:

Cyberpunkd

With Concord being deleted on Friday, MS could take advantage of it and shadow drop the F2P Halo Infinite MP mode on PS5 this weekend.
Not gonna lie, would have been an absolute gigachad move, which is why it won't happen. Phil doesn't have balls.

Assaulty

And unfortunately, Microsoft has had this problem with some first-party games in recent years. The approach is rubbish. It's easy to lose people's trust. It's hard to convince them later that they have learnt from it and offer a better product that is worthwhile after all. Everyone learns this very early on in marketing studies. But somewhere at Microsoft there are people in positions of responsibility who think it's okay to play with people's trust. You can see the course is working well.

I found Halo Infinite really okay at launch. I played through it once or twice and hung out a bit in the MP. And then I waited. There was the couch co-op disaster years ago with another part and warm words that they had learnt from it. Halo not again without couch co-op. I've played through every Halo with my husband in couch co-op. Often through the first night after launch. Of course they cancelled couch co-op again. And I finally cancelled Halo. And I bloody loved Halo. I've played Halo since the first part on the Xbox. It's like marriages, sometimes it's better to get divorced.

Halo and I are now divorced. Irreconcilable differences. Enough warm words for me. The game could be as awesome as it wanted to be. There are dozens of games coming out every week. I'd rather try my hand at a game from a developer who doesn't repeatedly break promises. Who lies once ...

343 just doesn't seem to understand that the succes of Halo was never a specific niche. We have always had like 10 different communities making up the entire player base. We had the Slayer players, big team, competitive, forge, griffball, infection, party games, (couch) co-op/single player, lore fanatics and more. And all communities combined made the player base.

Infinite launched with content for basically two of those communities (basic social and competitive players) and didn't release new content fast enough even for only those two (and ignoring the state of that content for convenience sake). That already alienates like 80% of the player base. No wonder the numbers drop like that when people cant play the game the way they want to.

Sucks that 343 let your love for Halo dwindle out like they did for so many. Its insane to think of the Halo franchise 14 years ago and what it is since 343 took over.

Banjo64

cumsessed
They should. I’ve put in 25 hours on Deck in the past 2 and a half weeks. It’s a great game with lots of online content now.

Ozriel

M$FT
That's what happens with percentages when the install base is large and based on different interests. And what percentage do you believe will be playing Halo Infinite this weekend exactly? What percentage of steam players are playing it even?

Zero percent of PS5 owners will be playing Halo Infinite this weekend. That’s what this thread is about, isn’t it?

I expect the percentage of PS5 owners playing the Call of Duty Black Ops 6 Open Beta to be quite decent, though.

Yes, MS should press that checkbox that says "magically port Halo for PS5" and release that this weekend. Let's gooo

Last edited:

Three

Zero percent of PS5 owners will be playing Halo Infinite this weekend. That’s what this thread is about, isn’t it?

I expect the percentage of PS5 owners playing the Call of Duty Black Ops 6 Open Beta to be quite decent, though.
I mean the hypothetical release of it. Halo isn't even charting on xbox engagement charts and if you look at Steam CCU vs total CCU you're talking percentages in the 0.0002% of players.

I just found it weird how you think 2% of PS5 owners for astrobot is some low number. 2% of 61.7M would be 1.2M. That's actually what's optimistic, not my hypothesis that PS5 users will be playing Astrobot this weekend near its Friday launch.

Last edited:

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
I'm not sure if the gameplay was really Halo's biggest and most pressing problem.

I was much more put off by broken promises, delays, a very manageable amount of content and so on. Coupled with a multiplyer system that made me wonder why I was actually playing. The gameplay? That was okay.
It's the broken promises and the whisper of "we got before, why is so hard to get again?"

Natsuko

343 just doesn't seem to understand that the succes of Halo was never a specific niche. We have always had like 10 different communities making up the entire player base. We had the Slayer players, big team, competitive, forge, griffball, infection, party games, (couch) co-op/single player, lore fanatics and more. And all communities combined made the player base.

Infinite launched with content for basically two of those communities (basic social and competitive players) and didn't release new content fast enough even for only those two (and ignoring the state of that content for convenience sake). That already alienates like 80% of the player base. No wonder the numbers drop like that when people cant play the game the way they want to.

Sucks that 343 let your love for Halo dwindle out like they did for so many. Its insane to think of the Halo franchise 14 years ago and what it is since 343 took over.

Absolutely. I know a lot of Halo players and everyone is different in some way. Some are totally into MP, others into record-breaking solo runs, others have always been Firefight fans. And yet everyone has enjoyed it for many years and over many parts. It's not even as if you had the feeling that the community was divided. It was a colourful hustle and bustle like in the Star Wars cantina bar.

Halo has simply lost a lot of its sparkle. We always thought Firefight was pretty cool too. Pure MP is difficult when you get older, have a house, kids, a job and can only play infrequently. At some point you get the feeling that it's difficult to keep up. Co-operative MP modes are the perfect solution. We also enjoyed playing something like this a lot in Gears of War.

Unfortunately, Gears of War has also lost much of its old charm. We never played through the last part. It was full of bugs at launch. We lost progress several times. My husband finished it solo. I never saw the credits. It annoys me how recklessly Microsoft has driven so many big brands into the ground over the last few years. Why?

Each of the big ones has released some crap. Happens, okay. That's why I don't think Concord is such a bad thing. Yes, they've made a mess here. Next game please (if possible, not something that nobody ever asked for). Unfortunately, Microsoft is on a real roll. Ironically, the PC has been okay with some strategy games recently. It's just a shame that they drove the PC to the wall years ago with their Store and Gold. Strange timing ...

Halo has more or less always been part of the Xbox. How can they ruin it like that? Above all, it's no secret that it's easier to sell brands that already have a name than to have huge success with a new IP. And it just doesn't make sense. Okay, they' maybe become a publisher. But uh ... people want to buy something good, don't they? I've had the impression for some time that they could do with a change of management at Xbox.

skyfinch

Or they can watch Borderlands. Even if they only watch the opening credits, that's still more time invested than they did with Concord.

Last edited:
Top Bottom