• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Surface Pro 3 Announced (12", 3:2 aspect ratio, new stand)

dorkimoe

i7/8GB RAM/512GB - $1949.99 would buy you a gaming computer that could max any current game + a 27 inch 1080p monitor and probably a ps4

Blackhead

Redarse
Well in the presentation they were comparing it to the MBA so... even had a MBA up on the weight scale.

(I also don't know the clock speed of the i7 in the SP3.)

That's the comparison Microsoft made during the presentation.

They also made a comparison to the MBA + iPad. Why not add that in your comparison then?

fwiw: MBP Retina prices aren't too high imo but I'd never pay for 512GB from any manufacturer right now though

DonasaurusRex

Online Ho Champ
...that is an enticing portable development ...surface pro..thing, wonder how it handles virtualization...its just running full x86 windows right....999 dont sound to bad for a flexible solution such as that...holiday sales might make it even better.

It depends on what you're doing as always. Are you doing serious professional work or is it light editing?
Light editing. No custom/heavy editing aside from adding a few effects.

Most of my videos consists of just editing audio, syncing it too footage, trimming the footage, and maybe adding some lens flares and such.

Feel like 4GBs and the i5 would be efficient... 8GBs and double the hard drive would be preferable, but I don't want to break the $999+ price barrier.

Violater

Waiting for Morphollio project to announce its windows version, then I will decide on what to jump on. One of these or a Galaxy tab 3.

bedlamite

Y'know after 3 years you'd think people would recognize Surface Pros as working PCs, not tablets

Still not sure if people are being wilfully ignorant or MS just failing at marketing. Probably both.

Spinluck

The Surface digitizer's corners had a lot of problems with Wacom, but I don't think the solution is a 256 point pressure solution from whoever else.

What route do you think is best for those in the market for an art tablet?

I think I might just go SP2.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
i7/8GB RAM/512GB - $1949.99 would buy you a gaming computer that could max any current game + a 27 inch 1080p monitor and probably a ps4

Well obviously, but people aren't going to buy a Surface for its gaming prowess

Pooya

lols downgrade, it takes battery now and it's bluetooth, lool :\

it's aluminum now though /whogivesashit

1400603916-pen.jpg

5mp camera now, up from shitty 720p livecams.

1400603933-pen2.jpg

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I'm updated the OP with whatever information comes out, so link it here if you see something official get updated.

And any Surface Pro 2 sales

For comparison against Macbook Pros offered on apple.com:

13" Retina MBP w/i5 2.4ghz/4GB RAM/128GB - $1299
13" Retina MBP w/i5 2.4ghz/8GB RAM/256GB - $1499
13" Retina MBP w/i5 2.6ghz/8GB RAM/512GB - $1799
15" Retina MBP w/i7 2.0ghz/8GB RAM/256GB - $1999

Same could be said to anyone considering an ultrabook. You do realize someone shopping for an ultrabook probably wants it for very different reasons (i.e., not sitting at home and playing games)?

Feep

Banned
Confirmed, the model I got is i5 128 GB. Will mess around with it tonight. Some dude named Sean Ong is gonna make some videos on it tonight, too.

dorkimoe

Well obviously, but people aren't going to buy a Surface for its gaming prowess

Then who is it targeting? (serious question) i just dont get why you wouldnt spend a fraction of the price and get a tablet that can do the same things, email, powerpoints, etc. You dont need that overkill

Blackhead

Redarse

f0lken

Then who is it targeting? (serious question) i just dont get why you wouldnt spend a fraction of the price and get a tablet that can do the same things, email, powerpoints, etc. You dont need that overkill

I am a photographer, I need it

Majine

Banned

Well, the one area where it hopefully trumps lower specc tablets is the ability to multitask.

Totakeke

They talked about it in the presentation, people who own and lug around both MBA and iPads. Yes they don't use their iPads to do liveblogs.

strata8

When they were showing the pen a bunch of people in the thread were commenting on how responsive it was, but now that it's been revealed as N-trig it's suddenly shit?

I'm confused. Can someone explain?

Divvy

People who buy ultrabooks? People who need it for professional use? Artists (although they shat the bed on this one with the new digitizer). I'm not sure which tablets you can get for the fraction of a price can do everything that this one can.

DonasaurusRex

Online Ho Champ

...what?

of course if you are just emailing and doing those things that can be done by a terminal system, even a 500 dollar tablet is too much. These are full x86 computing solutions, so their use is up to their user. I like that if i get one plug and play support for hardware is out of the box since its windows 8.1 pro.

When they were showing the pen a bunch of people in the thread were commenting on how responsive it was, but now that it's been revealed as N-trig it's suddenly shit?

I'm not familiar with this (I agree with your impressions) but it sounds like N-trig has, historically, been far less responsive than Wacom...?

Blackhead

Redarse

They showed it mostly with OneNote. The people who are complaining are artists who have more specific needs for drawing programs (compare your real life ballpoint pen for writing with all the various pencils and brushes that artists use).

I'm not familiar with this (I agree with your impressions) but it sounds like N-trig has, historically, been far less responsive than Wacom...?
Yes, historically, Wacom is the industry standard. To be fair, there have been some challengers in the past few years (especially because Wacom charges astronomical prices). Many artists would dismiss N-trig outright or wait for a review. I hope MS puts one in Gabe of Penny Arcade's hands quickly so artists can get a review.

Divvy

All they demoed was people taking notes and not drawing. N-trig doesn't have the best reputation among artists. Artists expect much more than just the capability to write letters well.

Pooya

Well, otherwise how are they gonna incorporate the click to note ability?

Click to note? I don't think there is anything preventing wacom pens to be programed to do that, they just sacrificed accuracy and convenient of wacom for this. Now it takes battery, now you've to deal with bluetooth pairing (turn on airplane mode, it won't work anymore!), With wacom you could use any wacom pen you wanted (there are plenty out there, whichever fits you), now here you stuck with a single propriety one. Cons out weights the pros here and I can't think of any here actually.

Holy crap at those prices, as if I (personal opinion) would ever get one at that price instead of a MBA, or hell even a MBP for the top ones. Wow, just wow.

Also, no more Wacom? C'mon MS.

Divvy

Click to note? I don't think there is anything preventing wacom pens to be programed to do that, they just sacrificed accuracy and convenient of wacom for this. Now it takes battery, now you've to deal with bluetooth pairing (turn on airplane mode, it won't work anymore!), With wacom you could use any wacom pen you wanted (there are plenty out there, whichever fits you), now here you stuck with a single propriety one. Cons out weights the pros here and I can't think of any here actually.

Hopefully the bluetooth is only needed for the OneNote clicking integration. Previous N-trig digitizers didn't need bluetooth to work at all.

Totakeke

Yeah, don't you need a battery to send wireless signals from the pen to the device?

OMG, I need this!

But: Additional pen loop - $4.99

Does this mean I have to purchase a $5 dollar accessory to be able to hold the pen along the tablet?

Top Bottom