• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Surface Pro 3 Announced (12", 3:2 aspect ratio, new stand)

Funny but personally I have a MBA 11" and an iPad Air that I sometimes "lug around" together. Firstly they're not that heavy combined. Second for what I do, having two screens is a big plus. Two small screens > one IMO. I can't imagine replacing both devices with just one.

What do you do that involves using both an iPad and a MBA at the same time?

Ty4on

Why is the model with 8GB of RAM so darn expensive :(

My laptop from 2008 had 4GB of RAM and YT videos have increased a lot in quality over the years.

Totakeke

Funny but personally I have a MBA 11" and an iPad Air that I sometimes "lug around" together. Firstly they're not that heavy combined. Second for what I do, having two screens is a big plus. Two small screens > one IMO. I can't imagine replacing both devices with just one.

I mostly commute, and bringing a tablet in my bag in addition to my laptop adds significant weight. Kindle e-reader (without case) is like the only device light enough that I don't mind bringing with me everywhere.

That $1249 model is tempting. No need for the i7, but instead of getting a laptop, I may get this. I've owned both the Surface RT and Surface 2, but never a pro. This thing is really nice, and fits my needs.

royalan

Potentially people who are ready to consolidate the functions of both into 1 device. It competes pretty closely with the MBA and if your software is Windows only this is a decent piece of kit.

Im considering a low end model. My laptop died last year and my gen 1 N7 is showing its age.

This seems favorable to getting another laptop.

I think the low-end model is my issue. The higher end model is priced too high, and the Surface Pro just that much more portable than a lightweight, fully-functional ultrabook like the Yoga.

The lower end SHOULD be the more attractive model, but it's spec'd too low.

I'm a designer, so a devices that prioritizes portability while being able to flex some muscle when I need it is right up my alley. But at the price they're asking, there are simply better options. And I'm saying this as someone who WANTS one of these, despite reason.

Phoenix

People who buy MBAs, artists, IT pros, engineers and many others, You know it's called "pro" for a reason and the price is right for those in fact, in that the cost isn't significant for what you use it for, it's your job or work related. If someone can't afford this because it seems to high for what he/she does, if someone is even considering getting an iPad for their needs, if someone doesn't know what this is, that person isn't the audience for this, probably never will be and it's a waste of breath to explain it to them. I think from the event it was very clear who this is for.

Come on guys it's a full scale laptop disguised as a tablet the price is not that outrageous.

Unfair to compare it with other tablets.

But does the DEMOGRAPHIC see it as a full scale laptop disguised as a tablet or do they see it as an expensive tablet. That's the issue that they keep having - there is a marketing message disconnect. Microsoft has been having an issue with marketing messages hampering sales of late and this is looking like another one of those instances.

Pooya

It's funny these things still don't have GPS built in, (that cheapo asus vivo tab note 8 does) but then again looks like nobody notices that it's missing anyway, probably doesn't matter at this size.

But does the DEMOGRAPHIC see it as a full scale laptop disguised as a tablet or do they see it as an expensive tablet. That's the issue that they keep having - there is a marketing message disconnect. Microsoft has been having an issue with marketing messages hampering sales of late and this is looking like another one of those instances.

yeah that's completely valid if those people find it a good alternative or not. It's been popular with artists for example (probably not anymore now lol), the rest who knows we never get sale numbers....

dem

Reading and writing for one thing. Looking at text on one screen and typing text into another screen instead of constantly flipping between documents on the same screen.

Theres this thing called snap

You may get to experience multitasking when apple invents it in ios8

Raistlin

Actually I wonder if the other reason the mini didn't show is due to the merge under way with RT and WP.

It sounds like for Windows 9, the WinRT runtime will be shared across computers, tablets, and phones. Moreover, the kernel itself for RT and WP devices will be shared. Maybe they just didn't think it made sense to release until that's ready?

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Reading and writing for one thing. Looking at text on one screen and typing text into another screen instead of constantly flipping between documents on the same screen.
Wait, does OSX not have the equivalent of Windows snap? Or can't you resize windows?

This seems quite the overkill.

Totakeke

How can you say there's a marketing disconnect when all you've seen are pictures.

"This time, Microsoft says the tablet really can replace your laptop." /Ars
"Microsoft's Surface Pro 3 is designed to destroy the laptop" /Verge
"incredible when you remember this is more akin to an Ultrabook than a tablet." /Engadget

All on the title or in the first paragraph.

Are they supposed to put labels on that thing.

Feep

Banned
Ugh I wanna mess around with mine but I can't right now :-( I'm gonna run comparison benchmarks later on this i5 model against my Surface 2 Pro. Which benchmarks should I run?

dem

I'd guess that Satya Nadella stomped windows RT out in its current form..

Will be reintroduced in the future...

Raistlin

I question whether that functionality will be useful without new hardware. Current iPad's are still sitting at 1GB RAM. That seems problematic when talking about true multi-tasking ... even when limited to 2 apps.

I'd guess that Satya Nadella stomped windows RT out in its current form..

Will be reintroduced in the future...

yup ... windows 9

NeOak

Still no ability for dual monitors from the dock?

IT DOES.

You need DP1.2 monitors with pass-through for the daisy chain though. Then its up to the Intel GPU, which iirc supports 3 external in daisy chain. The 24" Dell monitors that do this are like 250 ea. IPS.

My SP2 does it in and out of the dock :/

You can buy a 3x1 DP external switch too and use that, but I haven't done it myself.

dem

I question whether that functionality will be useful without new hardware. Current iPad's are still sitting at 1GB RAM. That seems problematic when talking about true multi-tasking ... even when limited to 2 apps.

yup ... windows 9

I'd imagine huge problems as well seeing as iOS is always killing apps on me when im not even doing much

bedlamite

MS is absolutely failing in getting the message across to the general public, going back all the way to the Surface 1. If this were an Apple product you'd better believe people'd be shitting in their collective pants.

harSon

Banned
I just bought a laptop 1/2 a year ago, and my iPad I got from graduation Summer of 2012 is perfectly functional, but fuck it, I'm buying the new Surface :(

NeOak

Ugh I wanna mess around with mine but I can't right now :-( I'm gonna run comparison benchmarks later on this i5 model against my Surface 2 Pro. Which benchmarks should I run?

Gaming benchs? Problem is that the GPU is not an Iris Pro, so its gonna get stomped.

Snap takes care of this on Windows 8, no?

Not if you don't want to lose screen space, no.

I don't personally use a tablet and laptop at the same time regularly, but I do use my tablet for listening to podcasts while I play PC games, and I have used OneNote on a tablet as a reverance guide while working on a doc on my laptop at other times.

The shitty 1366x768 laptops they give us at work don't give a lot of room for having multiple windows on screen at a time. In a perfect world I wish you could just turn tablets into an external monitor without doing semi-laggy internet based screen mirroring as a work around.

Ty4on

Get used to spaces. I loved multiple workspaces in Ubuntu for school work so much I would write questions from a book into a text document so that I didn't have to look away from the screen :p

Edit: A quick key command really helps. I used the F1-4 keys at first and then switched to Super+1-4. Super is what the Windows key is called there.

Deku Tree

Snap takes care of this on Windows 8, no?

Wait, does OSX not have the equivalent of Windows snap? Or can't you resize windows?

This seems quite the overkill.

Nope. Doesn't work for me. I want and need to look at a larger screen, or two larger screens full of my info. (I'm looking at scientific text BTW with lots of equations and things like that.) So I have no interest in shrinking the size of the text on my screen in order to see more things at the same time.

Get used to spaces. I loved multiple workspaces in Ubuntu for school work so much I would write questions from a book into a text document so that I didn't have to look away from the screen :p

I totally use spaces in OSX all the time. Having another tablet screen next to you is better though IMO.

tokkun

RAM pricing is the real problem here. The cheaper models should have 8GB. Firefox on its own can easily push 2GB with multiple tabs and extensions. Throw in Photoshop, and you are near the RAM limit with only 2 applications open.

64 GB hard drive may also be too low unless Microsoft has changed the way they handle legacy support in Windows 8. My Windows 7 folder on my desktop machine has grown to something something like 40 GB, due to all the different library versions it's holding.

Blackhead

Redarse

Lol, I was like you once:

hCwZZl.jpg

It's not really a good experience. Reaching from the MBA trackpad to constantly touch the iPad screen gets tedious quickly (I even tried using the iPad screen as wifi monitor for a bit). One larger screen is better imo

NB: the Surface/Windows 8 has a nice screen tiling mode for multiple apps/documents

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Man I want one but I sure can't justify it after having bought a Pro 2. Maybe if they're still making these things in a couple years I'll pick up a Surface Pro 4 or 5 with Win9 baked in. I like where they're headed with em at least.

Tugatrix

Now I'm conflicted, Surface pro 699€ or a Surface pro 3 799€

The pro 1 seem to have a more powerful hardware, but I like more the features of surface 3

NeOak

RAM pricing is the real problem here. The cheaper models should have 8GB. Firefox on its own can easily push 2GB with multiple tabs and extensions. Throw in Photoshop, and you are near the RAM limit with only 2 applications open.

64 GB hard drive may also be too low unless Microsoft has changed the way they handle legacy support in Windows 8. My Windows 7 folder on my desktop machine has grown to something something like 40 GB, due to all the different library versions it's holding.

They are using more dense chips for the 8GB version, but I agree the price is ridiculous.

And yes, it has changed. Win7 is a fat cow compared to 8 in HDD and RAM use. Plus you can move the recovery partition to an USB drive and have that space for use.

Size and weight are pretty appealing. My friend has a Pro 2 and it's really heavy, and as a laptop replacement it's a bit on the small side. The low end model is reasonably priced too.

Will have to see what the Pro 2 will drop to price wise first.

IT DOES.

You need DP1.2 monitors with pass-through for the daisy chain though. Then its up to the Intel GPU, which iirc supports 3 external in daisy chain. The 24" Dell monitors that do this are like 250 ea. IPS.

My SP2 does it in and out of the dock :/

You can buy a 3x1 DP external switch too and use that, but I haven't done it myself.

Nice, thanks for the info/correction. I wonder if he was specifically asking if there is more than one display port, though.

I just bought a laptop 1/2 a year ago, and my iPad I got from graduation Summer of 2012 is perfectly functional, but fuck it, I'm buying the new Surface :(

ipXXGHgYbTr9m.gif

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace

The pro 1 seem to have a more powerful hardware, but I like more the features of surface 3
Pro 2 will likely take a drop in price.. currently it's $100 more base than the Pro 3 lol

Phoenix

How can you say there's a marketing disconnect when all you've seen are pictures.

"This time, Microsoft says the tablet really can replace your laptop." /Ars
"Microsoft's Surface Pro 3 is designed to destroy the laptop" /Verge
"incredible when you remember this is more akin to an Ultrabook than a tablet." /Engadget

All on the title or in the first paragraph.

Are they supposed to put labels on that thing.

Reviews aren't marketing messages. Marketing messages are the outward expressions from Microsoft into the channel. Consumers are already aware of Microsoft, they are already aware of Surface and consistently the product has underperformed in the marketplace even with its supposed "Pro" target audience. By changing some of the innards they have somewhat disgruntled one Pro segment - artists, so I look for other segments that they might be targeting in the laptop replacement cycle. Pros have a product replacement cycle just like everyone else so I keep looking for "What is the Customer Profile" for the person who buys this with these generic marketing messages. (Yes, I currently do work for an advertising agency) The Customer Profile that they keep painting looks exactly like the one that isn't buying. Were they asking for MOAR POWER at any price?

lqd

Neo Member
With all that connectivity talk I thought they would finally offer optional 4G modem, but I guess that makes too much sense.

royalan

Reviews aren't marketing messages. Marketing messages are the outward expressions from Microsoft into the channel. Consumers are already aware of Microsoft, they are already aware of Surface and consistently the product has underperformed in the marketplace even with its supposed "Pro" target audience. By changing some of the innards they have somewhat disgruntled one Pro segment - artists, so I look for other segments that they might be targeting in the laptop replacement cycle. Pros have a product replacement cycle just like everyone else so I keep looking for "What is the Customer Profile" for the person who buys this with these generic marketing messages. (Yes, I currently do work for an advertising agency) The Customer Profile that they keep painting looks exactly like the one that isn't buying. Were they asking for MOAR POWER at any price?

Agreed.

Blackhead

Redarse
Nope. Doesn't work for me. I want and need to look at a larger screen, or two larger screens full of my info. (I'm looking at scientific text BTW with lots of equations and things like that.) So I have no interest in shrinking the size of the text on my screen in order to see more things at the same time.

I totally use spaces in OSX all the time. Having another tablet screen next to you is better though IMO.

How do you manage both the iPad and MBA on your lap at the same time?

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently

uhh, no it doesn't

edit: well maybe the 799, has an i3. but the battery life sucks on the original surface pro.

Top Bottom