• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Surface Pro 3 Announced (12", 3:2 aspect ratio, new stand)

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Thanks for the links. I think the OP has pretty much all of the basic information now. Just waiting for impressions to come in.

Pooya

Yeah, don't you need a battery to send wireless signals from the pen to the device?

wacom pens are powered by induction, they're not passive. Now you could've done that completely in software maybe with a different approach, I really don't see the appeal when you lose so much functionality.

Raistlin

Ugh. While this does look to be a great ultrabook competitor ... I actually wanted an 8" RT device :\

No Wacom according to Engadget, no buy for me :/
Unless I'm misunderstanding, this isn't in lieu of a true digitizer ... it's using a competing technology. This isn't a capacitive stylus solution?

That said, I have no idea of its performance.

royalan

Ugh...Microsoft.

I'm on your team. I really am. And part of me really, REALLY wants a Surface Pro.

But, as someone who doesn't have $1,600 around to drop on a whim, if you're going to price these babies in that range I NEED to not feel like I'm having to sacrifice anything I would get in a laptop for that price.

For $1,600 I could get a Yoga that comes fully-featured WHILE being just as portable.

These things REALLY need to be cheaper.

This sums up Surface more than anything else really could:

DSC_1303.jpg

Totakeke

wacom pens are powered by induction, they're not passive. Now you could've done that completely in software maybe with a different approach, I really don't see the appeal when you lose so much functionality.

Yes, but you need to be in contact. What they've shown is that by clicking on the pen you can make it take pictures and turn on onenote immediately. It's partly a remote control. We can argue that that's all useless, but they need a battery to do all that don't they.

Phoenix

Another fine piece of technology that is priced and marketed outside the mass market threshold. What demographic are you actually trying to reach microsoft?

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Yes, but you need to be in contact. What they've shown is that by clicking on the pen you can make it take pictures and turn on onenote immediately. It's partly a remote control. We can argue that that's all useless, but they need a battery to do all that don't they.

N-trig has always used a battery in it's digitizer with or without the extra fluff features. That being said, it was never a big deal. The Lenovo tablet I had with N-trig used a AAA battery and I used it for over a year without having to replace it so who cares about that really.

Totakeke

Another fine piece of technology that is priced and marketed outside the mass market threshold. What demographic are you actually trying to reach microsoft?

People who buy premium laptops?

N-trig has always used a battery in it's digitizer with or without the extra fluff features. That being said, it was never a big deal. The Lenovo tablet I had with N-trig used a AAA battery and I used it for over a year without having to replace it so who cares about that really.

Right, but if they wanted to use Wacom and yet have those click features, they would need to include a battery as well, right?

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Everyone complaining about the price is straight up insane..
I think people have difficulty understanding that it is not a tablet, and if they want "just a tablet," then this isn't the product for them.

Personally, Microsoft's marketing has been very clear from the start, it was never pitched as anything but a tablet/laptop hybrid at a pretty competitive price.

Pooya

People who buy MBAs, artists, IT pros, engineers and many others, You know it's called "pro" for a reason and the price is right for those in fact, in that the cost isn't significant for what you use it for, it's your job or work related. If someone can't afford this because it seems to high for what he/she does, if someone is even considering getting an iPad for their needs, if someone doesn't know what this is, that person isn't the audience for this, probably never will be and it's a waste of breath to explain it to them. I think from the event it was very clear who this is for.

Right.

maeh2k

Still no ability for dual monitors from the dock?

Technically there is. If the displays support it you can 'daisy chain' multiple displays from that single DisplayPort. Not sure how many displays support that, though.

Doesn't look like it :-\

Pics/impressions from The Verge:

Microsoft made one thing clear: it wants its new Surface Pro 3 to be able to replace replace your laptop. It's a bold goal, but Microsoft thinks it has the right combination of power and portability to make it work. The new Surface is bigger than the earlier two models with a 12-inch display, but it's also thinner, at 9.1mm thick, and lighter, at 1.8 pounds. Inside all of that is one of several different Intel Core processors, running from an i3 up to an i7. Surface chief Panos Panay says it's "the thinnest Intel Core product ever made," and it certainly makes for a device that feels extremely light to hold.

One of the other big improvements to the Surface 3 is its new "friction-hinge." It feels really firm, reliable, and smooth, and it's able to sit at a much lower angle now, which should make it easier to use while writing from above. The other big change on this Surface is its display. The Surface 3 has a 3:2 aspect ratio, rather than the unwieldily 16:9 ratio of the earlier tablets, and includes a dense 2160 x 1440 display that looks really sharp with bright colors and very wide viewing angles. Microsoft has also designed a new stylus for the tablet that the company wants to be as natural as an actual pen. In practice, it looks good and responds really well — in fact, it might be the best writing experience on a tablet that we've seen yet.

Unsurprisingly, Windows 8.1 runs quickly and smoothly on the Pro 3, and the touchscreen had no issues tracking our swipes and inputs. The new Type Cover keyboard cover features a new touchpad that's tremendously better than earlier models, as well as backlit keys. The keyboard can magnetically attach itself to the front of the Pro 3 to offer improved stability while on your lap, and in our brief tests, it seemed to work as expected. The real test will be how well it works while in a fast moving train, however.

Preorders for the tablet will begin tomorrow at $799, with the base model including a Core i3 processor. Among the models, internal storage ranges from 64 to 512 GB and RAM ranges from 4 to 8 GB.

Based on our initial impressions with the Surface Pro 3, there's a lot to like here. We'll reserve final judgement until we can give it the full review process, so stay tuned.

dem

"WHOS GOING TO SPEND THAT MONEY!??

(typed from macbook pro retina)"

Its not a freaking iPad. STOP IT.

It...it does more?

If it still had a Wacom it would be a great positive having the Pen support, but now with N-trig? Meh at best. Otherwise, the only thing that it could do more is games, but you could also dual boot a MBP with Windows, so the point is moot.

Also, you will need to buy a cover to this, and with that price you could buy this to a MBP: https://store.wacom.com/us/en/product/CTL480/

It has a real processor?

So now MBP have what? Bricks inside them instead of processors?

Are these comments serious?

You tell me.

Razdek

Banned
Did they say if the new type covers come in the Surface Pro 2 sizes? Hate the shitty track pad on the old ones and would like to try the new one.

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
Ugh. While this does look to be a great ultrabook competitor ... I actually wanted an 8" RT device :\

Unless I'm misunderstanding, this isn't in lieu of a true digitizer ... it's using a competing technology. This isn't a capacitive stylus solution?

That said, I have no idea of its performance.
N-trig uses batteries, and it's not as pressure sensitive 256 vs 1024 to be exact.

Azulsky

This is targetted a people who own a tablet and a laptop already not mass market.

Raistlin

Regarding a mini, the recent info I've heard was that they were planning on showing what was originally going to launch last year (8" Qualcomm RT device, 4:3, pen support with digitizer). They were having supply line problems then, so they'd had to shelve it.

I wonder if at the 11th hour they decided to retool it with beefier specs? Hard to launch something that's already gonna have a bit of a price jump with a digitizer if the SoC is considered out of date?

Mini DisplayPort can support it? If the device itself can do it, I would think the dock can too?

wanders

HPs Split x2 is 13in i5 128GB SSD with keyboard dock at $700-$800 granted the screen resolution is lower among other things but you get the idea. MS is out of their mind with the pricing.

MG310

I've been thinking about a Pro/Pro 2 for a while. Going to wait to see how people like the new pen and how much the currently 1300.00 version of the Pro 2 drops when this comes out.

bedlamite

The real question is: is it a good device for reading comics?!
Nice big screen and light too, at 800G

edit:
I already mentioned this in the Surface thread in the Gaming forum, but yeah all these complaints of pricing are pretty ridiculous. Until we find hardware manufacturers making 800-gram i5/i7 laptops stuffed into a 9.1mm tablet form factor with a 12" screen and similar build quality, and selling them for like a thousand bucks, I don't think the Pros are exorbitantly priced.

The pricing of the Type Cover though.....

royalan

This is targetted a people who own a tablet and a laptop already not mass market.

If you own a tablet and laptop already...WHY would you need this? And at that price?

Even I have to concede that MS just doesn't seem to know who to aim for with these hybrid devices. I don't see this selling any better than the previous Surface Pros.

Raistlin

N-trig uses batteries, and it's not as pressure sensitive 256 vs 1024 to be exact.
While the batteries kind of suck, if that means a thinner tablet that's more power efficient ... I can certainly live with the trade off. Similarly, 256 steps is still usable for most.

I think the biggest question is accuracy and lag.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
Then who is it targeting? (serious question) i just dont get why you wouldnt spend a fraction of the price and get a tablet that can do the same things, email, powerpoints, etc. You dont need that overkill

IT Pro and photographer.

I cant do shit on my ipad, compared to my surface pro 2. I can do everything for my job at home, or on a bus or anywhere with internet with my surface that I could while sitting at work. Because its windows I can do all kinds of fancy things like, install applications from wherever I want. It integrates with everything I do at work.

And i have full lightroom and Photoshop installed.

I've said it in the surface thread, but this really has replaced my macbook pro retina and my ipad.

im amazed they got a bigger screen size and thinner and lighter. But I will still be keeping my surface pro 2.

Animator

They need a battery in the pen because Wacom has the patents for batteryless pens. If you are not licensing wacom tech the only way you can do it is to put a battery in the pen.

Battery is not a deal breaker, that shit goes for weeks with one battery on every day use. My worry is the apps might not support whatever shitty drivers MS will use for their pen.

The main market for this tablet is artists and designers. The price they are asking for is a steal for me, just getting a intuos tablet costs 500$+. A macbook air or 13" MBP is no competition for this since those are way less portable and still require me to carry around a wacom tablet adding to the bulk.

I am still extremely disappointed they dropped wacom. It would have been the perfect device for artists if it came with a wacom digitizer. :(

Totakeke

If you own a tablet and laptop already...WHY would you need this? And at that price?

Even I have to concede that MS just doesn't seem to know who to aim for with these hybrid devices. I don't see this selling any better than the previous Surface Pros.

So you don't have to lug around two devices. They explained it in the presentation, like that's the whole part of the introduction leading to the device reveal.

I don't know why you guys expect to look at some pictures and somehow understand the full meaning behind a product.

Azulsky

Potentially people who are ready to consolidate the functions of both into 1 device. It competes pretty closely with the MBA and if your software is Windows only this is a decent piece of kit.

Im considering a low end model. My laptop died last year and my gen 1 N7 is showing its age.

This seems favorable to getting another laptop.

Deku Tree

So you don't have to lug around two devices. They explained it in the presentation, like that's the whole part of the introduction leading to the device reveal.

I don't know why you guys expect to look at some pictures and somehow understand the full meaning behind a product.

Funny but personally I have a MBA 11" and an iPad Air that I sometimes "lug around" together. Firstly they're not that heavy combined. Second for what I do, having two screens is a big plus. Two small screens > one IMO. I can't imagine replacing both devices with just one.

They also made a comparison to the MBA + iPad. Why not add that in your comparison then?

fwiw: MBP Retina prices aren't too high imo but I'd never pay for 512GB from any manufacturer right now though

For me personally, it's because of what I wrote above.

strata8

HPs Split x2 is 13in i5 128GB SSD with keyboard dock at $700-$800 granted the screen resolution is lower among other things but you get the idea. MS is out of their mind with the pricing.
Screen resolution is lower?

Understatement if I've ever seen one. The Split x2 has a shitty 1366x786 display with a max brightness of 170cd/m2 and a contrast ratio of 200:1. The SP3 is 2160x1440 with a brightness >400cd/m2 and a contrast >700:1.

And it's made of plastic, 11.3mm thick vs 9.1mm thick and 1kg vs. 800g.

But obviously this stuff only matters if it's an Apple device, where the price is justified.

They need a battery in the pen because Wacom has the patents for batteryless pens. If you are not licensing wacom tech the only way you can do it is to put a battery in the pen.

Battery is not a deal breaker, that shit goes for weeks with one battery on every day use. My worry is the apps might not support whatever shitty drivers MS will use for their pen.

The main market for this tablet is artists and designers. The price they are asking for is a steal for me, just getting a intuos tablet costs 500$+. A macbook air or 13" MBP is no competition for this since those are way less portable and still require me to carry around a wacom tablet adding to the bulk.

I am still extremely disappointed they dropped wacom. It would have been the perfect device for artists if it came with a wacom digitizer. :(

Agreed. They did all sorts of things to make this more compelling for artists (aspect ratio, working with Adobe on touch-enabled UI, more robust hinge) and then take away the most important aspect for it for visual artists: the wacom digitizer.

Now we need to see how well it stacks up in terms of accuracy and useability, but it also completely killed my enthusiasm. Looks like the SP2 is going to remain my portable workstation going forward.

Animator

Funny but personally I have a MBA 11" and an iPad Air that I sometimes "lug around" together. Firstly they're not that heavy combined. Second for what I do, having two screens is a big plus. Two small screens > one IMO. I can't imagine replacing both devices with just one.

Good for you. Not everyone has the same needs.

Top Bottom