• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Windows 8 BUILD Conference 2011 |OT| 9/13-9/16

Status
Not open for further replies.
Brettison said:
IDK if I'm happy about that Win 7 # or sad that it means so many people still use XP. :| lol
Should've happened long time ago.

And lol @ ie9 being the biggest growing Windows 7 browser. That's not only very specific, but also what Windows Updates does.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
This guy blows as a speaker. On to the demos and announcements please!

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Brettison said:
IDK if I'm happy about that Win 7 # or sad that it means so many people still use XP. :| lol
With the amount of people who are computer illiterate and are perfectly fine with XP.. I'm
surprised W7 overtook it so quick.

Windows 8 article + video preview is out.

The sea of change in Windows 8 is breathtaking and overwhelming. It’s difficult to understand how Microsoft will pull this off. The company is often accused of not being agile enough to switch directions or truly innovate. That certainly isn’t the case under Sinofsky. The clean and secretive development schedule of Windows 7 and 8 have created a new buzz around Windows. The world is waiting to see and hear what will be unveiled today, a historic day for computing and Microsoft. The software giant will show a number of features that aren’t baked into the developer preview build that attendees will receive but they demonstrate how much work the company is undertaking. This is a bigger vision than Windows Longhorn and a much bigger concept than Windows 95. Windows 8 is simply mind blowing.
http://www.winrumors.com/windows-8-really-does-change-everything-its-mind-blowing

More:

http://thisismynext.com/2011/09/13/windows-8-tablet-photos-video-preview/
http://www.zdnet.com/blog/microsoft/microsofts-windows-8-heres-what-we-now-know-and-dont/10608

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
D4Danger said:
Vista users forever alone

I actually built my brand new comp and couldn't get XP to run around Xmas right before Vista launched. Sata drive + no floppy drive = pain the arse. I ended up installing Vista Beta, and went to the midnight launch at my local Comp USA to buy a boxed copy of Home Premium since Vista actually installed unlike XP. LOL

My GF has my Vista copy running on an older desktop now at her place.

RubxQub

harSon said:
He sorta looks like Bruce Willis
Can't unsee...thanks, man. :lol

clav

RubxQub said:
This guy blows as a speaker. On to the demos and announcements please!
Yeah. Also, he seems like he didn't prep for the speech as he seems like he's winging it. Those slides don't help either. Use pictures if he's going be that verbose or no slides at all.

Vanillalite

enzo_gt said:
With the amount of people who are computer illiterate and are perfectly fine with XP.. I'm
surprised W7 overtook it so quick.

Well every new laptop sold has Win 7 on it (if it's a windows machine obviously), and in general the market for the number of potential PC buyers is hella huge compared to when XP launched. So I can see how it rolled this fast. Just that many more comps being sold now.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
claviertekky said:
Yeah. Also, he seems like he didn't prep for the speech as he seems like he's winging it. Those slides don't help either. Use pictures if he's going be that verbose or no slides at all.

I think that's just his mannerisms

it's usually what happens when you put nerds in front of other people

What we know

Microsoft showed us the Windows Developer Preview (Build 1802), which is one of its recent pre-beta “Milestone” builds of Windows 8 client. The focus was of what we saw was the x86/x64 build of Windows 8. But Microsoft officials are still maintaining that the ARM and x86/64 builds are evolving in lockstep and provided no indication that the company planned to deliver the x86/64 ahead of the ARM version of Windows 8.

Want to see the Windows 8 Developer Preview up close and personal? My ZDNet colleague Ed Bott has a load of new Windows 8 screen shots and information.

Microsoft plans to provide Build attendees with this same build of Windows 8. Other interested parties will also get the bits later this week for download on the Windows Dev Center.. (I’ll add more details to this once I am out from my non-disclosure agreement today).

Windows 8 will work on any PC that can run Windows 7, whether it is a touch-enabled device or not.

Windows 8 still supports stylus/digital ink and voice-input. Even though it is “touch-centric,” Windows 8 will enable user input using keyboards and mice. The pen is optional and not a requirement.

The user experience default is the tile interface that looks and feels a lot like the Windows Phone one. The “legacy”/desktop experience is accessed via a Desktop tile on users’ Windows 8 systems. There are not two different Windows 8 “modes” or user interfaces. The tile interface is the only interface and the “classic” interface is available as an application.

HTML5, JavaScript and CSS aren’t the only way to develop Windows 8 apps. Developers can still use Visual Basic, C, C#, C++, .Net, Silverlight and XAML to write both “modern” (or what is now officially known as “Metro-style” apps) and line-of-business “Desktop” apps. The emphasis at Build — and going forward at Microsoft, in my view — is on Metro-style apps, however, preferably written in HTML5 and JavaScript.

There’s going to be a Windows Store that will be populated with new Metro-style apps, alongside existing desktop apps. In the store, some apps will be directly downloadable; others will be links that redirect to app developers’ own sites for download

Microsoft is adding new/more HTML5 tooling support to Visual Studio “11″ (a k a Visual Studio 2012) and the coming version of its Expression Blend design tool.

Microsoft will make Windows 8 available on a USB stick. This new “Windows to Go” capability, rumored for years, is aimed at business users who need to deploy Windows 8 on numerous PCs.

What we don’t

The official beta/final timeline for Windows 8 (though there is next-to-no one out there who thinks it won’t ship in 2012 in time for holiday sales

How many different Windows 8 packages, or SKUs Microsoft plans to ship and how much Windows 8 will cost

How much tweaking Windows Phone 7 app developers will need to do to their apps to get them to run on Windows 8. (It seems it is possible to reuse some of the Silverlight code written by phone developers; I am not sure how much XNA code written for Windows Phone games can be saved.)

How/when/if Microsoft will support PHP, Ruby and other non-Microsoft languages and tools for those who’d prefer to use them to write Windows 8 apps

What Microsoft Office “15″ will look like so as to enable it to run on both x86/x64 and ARM hardware. ARM-based systems won’t support legacy “desktop” apps, the Softies reconfirmed this week. That means Office 15 is going to be a “Metro style” app. We don’t know for sure if that means it will be some kind of HTML5/JavaScript Web-app or if Microsoft is rewriting it as a native C++ Windows 8 app.

Whether Windows 8 will feature built-in Kinect integration. Microsoft is set to talk about new kinds of sensors that Windows 8 will support (ambient-light sensing, etc.) but no word going into the keynote whether Kinect integration will be baked in from the get-go.

What’s coming with Windows Live Wave 5 – the set of consumer services designed to complement Windows 8. Beyond the fact that there are next-generation Mail, Calendar, Photo, People (Messaging) and SkyDrive applications/services, we don’t know much of anything

RubxQub

I like what he's saying, but I want to stop hearing him say anything.

SHOW IT, FUCK! I GET IT! EXCITING! SHOW SHOW!

Vanillalite

With all of this Win 7 improving talk, and all Win 7 apps work in Win 8.... makes me think hey if that all works give us a cheap lion style upgrade to 8! Won't happen though. :p

eastmen

Banned
windows 8 uses 281MB of memory its less memory and less processes than windows 7. Pretty damn nice

down from 540MB with windows 7

RubxQub

Nothing gets me harder than looking at task manager's memory allocation charts...

...show me actual performance! COME ON! I WANT THE SEX!

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
I'm such a geek. This shit gets me so hyped.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
RubxQub said:
Nothing gets me harder than looking at task manager's memory allocation charts...

...show me actual performance! COME ON! I WANT THE SEX!

you're watching a conference for developers

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
DopeyFish said:
picture password... wow that's genius

It really is. I turned off the password on Win7 tablet because it's a pain to type it with the on screen keyboard all the time.

RubxQub

Really like the this dropscreen idea that's like WinPhone7.

"Show me what I think is important immediately and let me jump off from there." Think the extension to the desktop/tablet space with this philosophy is great.

Pinch to view whole thing is nice as well.

I'm digging...

Whoa, glitched for a second, but I get where she's going with this. Neat.
DieH@rd said:
any video streams that are not in silverlight?
If you have the stream blocked, it gives an option to watch in WMP.

StudioTan

quadriplegicjon said:
What exactly is picture password?

At your user login page you have a picture and you need to click or swipe certain areas of the photo to log in. You set this up yourself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom