• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Windows 8 BUILD Conference 2011 |OT| 9/13-9/16

Status
Not open for further replies.
Z

ZombieFred

Unconfirmed Member
Looks like I know what I will be doing at work with the network manager, having two of our tablets to test out this build. HYPE!

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
9:28
MJF: The concept of sharing via "Contracts" is something we don't know a lot about yet... more to come this week. It's about how two apps can communicate without knowing about each other

Interesting.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
LOL.... imagine the file browser metro style browsing some of the insane pr0n folders some GAFers have admitted to having. LOLOLOLOLOL

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
Wow, this whole presentation is hacked together :lol

Jesus christ, get better people and be more prepared for these kinds of demos. I can't help but think they're a lot further away than it looks given all this weird dancing they are doing.

harSon

Banned
MNC said:
So is this only an OS for tablets?

They have a monopoly hold on the Desktop/Laptop OS market, and people are going to purchase the OS directly or indirectly of what they show. It makes sense that they focus on an industry they're trying to break into.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
"ARM based machine ..."

* Crowd goes wild *

Z

ZombieFred

Unconfirmed Member
Developers.gif

dream

When he's talking about the innovative way apps communicate with each other, isn't he basically talking about OLE and DDE from circa Windows 3.1?

GloomyHitsuji said:
Anyone tempted to buy a touchscreen monitor because of the tricks they're pulling off on the tablets?
Not really. Touchscreen monitors are (literally) a pain to use, if you don't get close to them and tilt them. I'd rather have a tablet.

Vestal

ColtraineGF said:
Oh, well that settles that. Use whatever language you want to write apps.

Its a bold fucking move.. I am hesistant to jump on board, need to see exactly how this new universal api will pan out.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Remember when apps were called "programs"?

Vanillalite

brotkasten said:
Not really. Touchscreen monitors are (literally) a pain to use, if you don't get close to them and tilt them I'd rather have a tablet.

Ditto. Basically what people want is a tablet that happens to have a docking station if need be. :p

GloomyHitsuji said:
Anyone tempted to buy a touchscreen monitor because of the tricks they're pulling off on the tablets?
No. It'd be a waste of money to me since I would be using my keyboard and mouse 99% of the time. I'd buy a tablet instead for the touch features.

Man

I get stressed listening to the Visual Studio demoer. Sounds like he is about to sneeze or cry or something.

An-Det

Vestal said:
Its a bold fucking move.. I am hesistant to jump on board, need to see exactly how this new universal api will pan out.

It is, but if it works out, goddamn it'll be awesome.

D4Danger said:
JavaScript as a first class citizen

*sheds a tear* my baby's all grown up

JS will only ever be 3/5's of a true citizen.

bedlamite

This would make a killer tablet OS, but as a desktop OS to be used with a mouse? No. Doesn't 8 have a more traditional alternate UI?

Vanillalite

I wonder how hard it'll be to create an app that works on both x86 and arm. Think of all of the apps that are x86 apps now that aren't on arm based tablets now.

dude

dude
bedlamite said:
This would make a killer tablet OS, but as a desktop OS to be used with a mouse? No. Doesn't 8 have a more traditional alternate UI?
He's using the more traditional UI right now.

clav

bedlamite said:
Aero still exists if you haven't noticed.

So will Windows 8 have the option to have a normal desktop similar to Win 7? I wanna know how this looks on a desktop. Unless it only touch/tablet/mobile

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom