• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Windows 8 BUILD Conference 2011 |OT| 9/13-9/16

Status
Not open for further replies.

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
StudioTan said:
At your user login page you have a picture and you need to click or swipe certain areas of the photo to log in. You set this up yourself.

Whoa. Cool, but I'd be too scared that I'll forget where to click.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
App-Bar idea kind of sucks. I hate the soft-key settings menu on Android phones. Show me on the screen what I can do, don't hide key functionality behind gestures and buttons!

BOO APP-BAR!

Exuro

StudioTan said:
At your user login page you have a picture and you need to click or swipe certain areas of the photo to log in. You set this up yourself.
Ah nice, I was thinking there would be a bunch of different images and you would need to pick the right one which didn't sound very secure.

eastmen

Banned
alphaNoid said:
This metro UI is fucking sexy as fuck. Animations are just crazy good.

yup , it shows that MS is never outclassed by others in terms of software. IOS can't touch this at all

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
alphaNoid said:
This metro UI is fucking sexy as fuck. Animations are just crazy good.

This!!

quadriplegicjon said:
What exactly is picture password?
You take a picture and select three points to touch as a password to login to your account. You can also create a point by dragging your finger anywhere on the screen. You'll have to remember where you dragged though as it'll be one of your 3. Not sure if you can have more than 3 points yet though.

EDIT: Nevermind, someone else got to you before me.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
brotkasten said:
$9.99 for Plants vs Zombies, get used to it.

Already use to it. I just don't buy the stuff. My loss I guess as I can't play the game, but MS+Dev lack of money from me.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
HarryDemeanor said:
You take a picture and select three points to touch as a password to login to your account. You can also create a point by dragging your finger anywhere on the screen. You'll have to remember where you dragged though as it'll be one of your 3. Not sure if you can have more than 3 points yet though.

EDIT: Nevermind, someone else got to you before me.
Crotch-crotch-crotch will become the new Password: password.

Totakeke

You probably want to try out the preview release—and you can. Starting at 8PM today, Seattle time, you can download all of the code that attendees at BUILD received. This includes 32 or 64 bit x86 builds, with or without development tools. The releases also include a suite of sample/SDK applications and the SDK (please note these are merely illustrations of potential apps, not apps that we intend to ship with Windows 8). The ISOs are linked to from http://dev.windows.com. You download with a Windows Live ID (which you might want to use to test out some of the new roaming features).

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/b8/archive/2011/09/13/welcome-to-windows-8-the-developer-preview.aspx

RubxQub

Uh oh...scroll bar area looked elastic on the ends and only popped up when the screen shifts. Does Apple have that patented? Are we going to have a billion Apple vs. MS threads in the future over silly things like this?

Hope not.

...and yes, these presenters are TERRIBLE.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
dem said:
These people are terrible presenters

They need this guy:

8883.Mr.-Caffeine.png_2D00_610x0.png

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
RubxQub said:
Uh oh...scroll bar area looked elastic on the ends and only popped up when the screen shifts. Does Apple have that patented? Are we going to have a billion Apple vs. MS threads in the future over silly things like this?.

I don't know if you're being serious but it works this way on Windows Phone so I'm guessing there's no problem

RubxQub said:
Uh oh...scroll bar area looked elastic on the ends and only popped up when the screen shifts. Does Apple have that patented? Are we going to have a billion Apple vs. MS threads in the future over silly things like this?

Hope not.

...and yes, these presenters are TERRIBLE.

Patent agreements. It's already in WP7 and kinetic scrolling is even in Windows 7.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Holy crap, how did I not know about this?

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook

RubxQub

brotkasten said:
Patent agreements. It's already in WP7 and kinetic scrolling is even in Windows 7.
D4Danger said:
I don't know if you're being serious but it works this way on Windows Phone so I'm guessing there's no problem
Wasn't aware it was already in WP7, so good good.

I'm just liking what I see in general so I want this shit to smooth to market.

Enkidu

It looks pretty decent for a tablet actually. However, they don't expect anyone to ever want to see any of this metro stuff on a desktop though, do they?

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
Brettison said:
Oh snap is this like a prerelease iso of the whole os? Do you I have to install it to you or can I just run it in a "live" mode on a ubs stick? If I have to install it anyway I can uninstall it easily since I won't imagine that this is gonna get updates or anything long term.

SHIIIIIITTTTT Hype x 100000000

use a virtual machine

I will buy this day one

Enkidu said:
It looks pretty decent for a tablet actually. However, they don't expect anyone to ever want to see any of this metro stuff on a desktop though, do they?

This would be amazing on desktop too. Beside you can go back to normal windows look if you want.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom