• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor |OT| One Title to rule them all

I dont agree. batman has tons of stuff to do as sidequests that is not beating up bad guys.
sure, combat is still the main thing, but in mordor its the only thing.

If you consider solving Riddler puzzles as something to do in Batman, or seeing how long you can fly through hoops in Gotham, then sure. It does have more to do. But that's not the selling point in the game.. nor is it even done by most people who play the game.

dark souls offers huge, detailed and diverse enviroments. mordor offers a boring wasteland.

Yeap.. It does offer a lot of variety.. but it's still an on-rails RPG. You can't go ANYWHERE.

dark souls has tons of different weapons with different animations, strenghts and weaknesses. it has different kinds of magic. mordor has three set main weapons, which can be improved/changed slightly with runes.

And of all the tons of weapons with different animations, most people select their role and play with that. Which narrows down the animations to a small handful. No decaps, no brutal kills either. I'd rather have main weapons and then just level them up (which is what DS does too.)

dark souls has tons of different kinds of enemies with completely own design, attack patterns and require different strategies. and huge, spectacular bosses.

Yes, and none of them are going to be as fun as the Nemesis system. On top of that, you still have to grind to advance in the game or move forward in the plot. Dying respawned the same enemies in the same locations.

Bosses were awesome in DS2.. but for the most part couldn't be beat solo. Teaming up made the boss fights a pushover. Which defeated the purpose of being strong enough to beat them. And all of them had attack patterns that, given enough defeats, could be beaten.

-M

I got to start this for a minute before work..

Question for anybody who might know: is it impossible to interrogate while in a fight with other orcs? There was a captain who was running away that I managed to catch up to (not easy bc he was resistant to arrows) but every time I grabbed him I was getting hit by random dudes nearby.

Kinda frustrating lol. He ended up getting away
:(

Dark Souls is on on-rails RPG... okay. Wow.

Anyways, is there difficulty settings that I'm missing somewhere? I want to bump up the difficulty up (significantly if possible). Two hours in, and its pretty easy. The combat system seems to be much more forgiving then Batman so far (e.g. interrupt an execution to counter instantly) and I want somewhat of a bigger challenge.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Yeap.. It does offer a lot of variety.. but it's still an on-rails RPG. You can't go ANYWHERE.
This is a weird defense. When is "going anywhere" really that conducive to building a good world? Dark Souls world was incredibly intricate and fascinating to explore because it was built with a purpose. Most games with large open worlds are lack things to do in many corners of the world. It's neat to have a big world but when there's really nothing unique or interesting to do within most of it the impact is lost.

I much prefer focused, tightly designed worlds that still allow for exploration.

Yes, and none of them are going to be as fun as the Nemesis system.
That's kind of a bold statement.

Loxley

He made valid points.

I wasn't disagreeing with him. My "point" was that he was doing what some hardcore Dark Souls fans do best: go on the defensive and overreact whenever anyone dares to mention it in the same sentence as other less-complex games. Shadow of Mordor isn't trying to be Dark Souls, so why anyone would use it as a point of comparison when the AssCreed and Batman influences are far more appropriate is beyond me. You want to compare Dark Souls to another game, try Lords of the Fallen. That will be a much better apples-to-apples comparison.

Camper182

The controls are seriously unresponsive on the PS4 version, it really pisses me off, don't understand how today's games still have this problem

i'm all for an option to disable Vsync if that means better, responsive controls and a tiny bit better framerate

The controls are seriously unresponsive on the PS4 version, it really pisses me off, don't understand how today's games still have this problem

i'm all for an option to disable if that means better, responsive controls and a tiny bit better framerate

I'm having the same issue with executions on PC using a 360 controller. I sometimes have to mash the RT + X buttons to get Talion to start an execution. Super annoying.

If the game is too easy and there is no difficulty selection, the Nemesis system kind of falls apart, doesn't it?

The game is extremely easy so far.

Played a little less than an hour and I can see myself getting lost in all the side activities, it's gonna be a blast. Only complaint I have so far is the combat is a little clunky.

Plumpman

This game has the enemy not only talking smack but actually mentioning past engagements and reminding me that I lost. I can feel my blood boiling already lol

This is my favorite part so far, the orcs have so much personality from all the little quips you hear, it really helps sell that they are not just soulless baddies.

IvorB

Same here; last night I watched the french guy on Twitch (apparently the only man with the X1 version on the planet), and the game looked good and ran fine... of course, there is the streaming compression or limitations factors.

I just cant believe that hours before launch we still have NOTHING OFFICIAL or people playing it that can, at least, give some insights for those waiting to make a decision. I have a PS4 as well, but I honestly prefer to use the X1 controller and most of my friends are on XBL

A bit dissapointed with Monolith and WB for the lack of info.

Yeah it's pretty lame, especially when other debs have been so open this gen about these types of details. This video game cowboy industry really pisses me off sometimes.

UrbanRats

Yes, and none of them are going to be as fun as the Nemesis system. On top of that, you still have to grind to advance in the game or move forward in the plot. Dying respawned the same enemies in the same locations.

Bosses were awesome in DS2.. but for the most part couldn't be beat solo. Teaming up made the boss fights a pushover. Which defeated the purpose of being strong enough to beat them. And all of them had attack patterns that, given enough defeats, could be beaten.

-M

What are you even talking about?

You don't have to grind shit in DkS, you can beat the game on level 1.
And you can most definitely beat ALL of the bosses (included the DLC ones) solo.

Has anyone on PS4 managed to get the preorder bonuses to work? The Dark Ranger skin, namely.

FIX THIS SHIT, MONOLITH.

They worked for me right away. Before I even started the game I had the option of using the Dark Ranger skin. Hopefully whatever issue you're encountering gets resolved quickly because the skin looks fantastic.

If you consider solving Riddler puzzles as something to do in Batman, or seeing how long you can fly through hoops in Gotham, then sure. It does have more to do. But that's not the selling point in the game.. nor is it even done by most people who play the game.

And of all the tons of weapons with different animations, most people select their role and play with that. Which narrows down the animations to a small handful. No decaps, no brutal kills either. I'd rather have main weapons and then just level them up (which is what DS does too.)

-M

...what

owlbeak

Fucking Amazon boned me. Didn't ship my copy until last night around 9pm and it wasn't scheduled for delivery until Thursday, even though I selected release day delivery and had preordered on the 20th.

Got on chat, made them request return to sender from UPS and refund my money. Now I have to go to the mall at lunch! Come on, Amazon.

MGYsTku.gif

Leatherface

That's not true. I only complain about unstable frame-rates. If I can't have a stable 60 fps, I'll take a stable 30 fps instead. Fluctuating frame-rates are what I find unplayable. 30 fps with motion-blur isn't optimal, but I don't mind it too much these days. 60 fps just doesn't look the same on non-CRT displays...

Have you ever played anything on the NES, the SNES, Genesis or other systems from that era? 95% of those games were 60 fps.

/Agree

Stable framerate is so important. Whatever it has to be just make sure that shit is rock solid!

Is the problem that the game is too easy or that GAF, and more specifically communities that play games like Dark Souls and Batman before, are better at these games than a general community and maybe some reviewers? Because plenty of the reviews seemed to be talking about difficulty and having to kill a guy after hours of trying. A guy earlier complained that the game was too easy then humble bragged that he aced batman challenge maps lol.

I'm willing to give a chance to the game besides the opening hours. Lord knows I was disappointed by games like Darksiders in the opening hours but that it got much better with more hours. Not saying anybody here is jumping to conclusions though.

All I know is that it's a licensed game, which already have a harder time at getting good reviews (from what I've seen), so if the consensus is that it's a mid 80 game then I'm willing to bet that as a whole it'll be a very satisfying game.

-griffy-

Banned
Can Shadow of Mordor only be good if Dark Souls is bad? And if Dark Souls is good, therefore Shadow of Mordor is bad? I'm confused.

-M

I...don't think you know what you're talking about.

Micerider

Can Shadow of Mordor only be good if Dark Souls is bad? And if Dark Souls is good, therefore Shadow of Mordor is bad? I'm confused.

Yes, except if Dark Souls has stable FPS and better capes. Also Fifa15 has better grass than both and is therefore the superior game without contest.

What are you even talking about?

You don't have to grind shit in DkS, you can beat the game on level 1.
And you can most definitely beat ALL of the bosses (included the DLC ones) solo.

I couldn't. And I doubt most could. And you do have to grind in DkS. How else do you level up and collect souls?

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Should I be collecting all the different herbs even if I don't need health? There are a ton of them with different colors...

Do they respawn after you collect them?

That is literally the opposite of the definition of linear.

You go over in your mind how linear DS is.. then you'll have your definition of linear. The game is nowhere near a true open-world RPG. Come up with your own logical definitions.. I don't need to define it for you.

Gaz_RB

But unfortunately does not look the part. I was expecting better in the graphics department.

Whaaaat? I'm blown away by the graphics. And I'm playing on PS4. And I just finished playing through the Vanishing of Ethan Carter on my PC, so I'm sort of using that as a benchmark.

Maybe I'm easily impressed.

pixlexic

Banned
Not that I doubt you, but how can you tell?

What are the tell tale signs?

It is hard to tell with this one. I have both the pc and xbone versions.

The Xbone is 900p or maybe a number between.

I just think some people on gaFacebook tend to make others think 900p looks much worse than it really is.

Slixshot

Banned
Whaaaat? I'm blown away by the graphics. And I'm playing on PS4. And I just finished playing through the Vanishing of Ethan Carter on my PC, so I'm sort of using that as a benchmark.

I too, am easily impressed, so I'm glad to hear that it's a good lookin game.

Is the problem that the game is too easy or that GAF, and more specifically communities that play games like Dark Souls and Batman before, are better at these games than a general community and maybe some reviewers? Because plenty of the reviews seemed to be talking about difficulty and having to kill a guy after hours of trying. A guy earlier complained that the game was too easy then humble bragged that he aced batman challenge maps lol.

I'm willing to give a chance to the game besides the opening hours. Lord knows I was disappointed by games like Darksiders in the opening hours but that it got much better with more hours. Not saying anybody here is jumping to conclusions though.

All I know is that it's a licensed game, which already have a harder time at getting good reviews (from what I've seen), so if the consensus is that it's a mid 80 game then I'm willing to bet that as a whole it'll be a very satisfying game.

If these types of games are your cup of tea, then SoM will be a very satisfying experience. The combat is wonderful, the enemies and voice acting are topnotch, and I wouldn't call this game easy. You can easily get overwhelmed if you don't plan carefully, not to mention the random beasts that will join the fray if they see a commotion, attacking you and foes alike. Sure there are a lot of borrowed mechanics from other games on display, but the game is so well made, and everything flows together so well, that you will forgive that because you are having a blast playing it.

Some have higher standards here. That's not condescending btw as I'm part of the "easily impressed" bunch. I didn't even notice the fps on second son while playing because I was too busy having nerdgasms over the graphics.

Top Bottom