• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor |OT| One Title to rule them all

badb0y

I only get 2MB/s even tho my line gets 15MB on speed tests. Not 100% upto speed on how it all works but it suuuucks i've been downloading for about 4 hours now and still an hour left
Don't confuse megabits with megabytes.

1 megabyte = 8 megabits.

Your download speed of 2 MB in that case would be advertised as 15 Mbps.

see5harp

Same here; last night I watched the french guy on Twitch (apparently the only man with the X1 version on the planet), and the game looked good and ran fine... of course, there is the streaming compression or limitations factors.

I just cant believe that hours before launch we still have NOTHING OFFICIAL or people playing it that can, at least, give some insights for those waiting to make a decision. I have a PS4 as well, but I honestly prefer to use the X1 controller and most of my friends are on XBL

A bit dissapointed with Monolith and WB for the lack of info.

The correct response is to stop buying these games on day one. If these devs and pubs aren't going to be transparent then what reason do I have to give them my money? Rent from gamefly which is what I did for the PS4 version.

gillty

Banned
I only get 2MB/s even tho my line gets 15MB on speed tests. Not 100% upto speed on how it all works but it suuuucks i've been downloading for about 4 hours now and still an hour left
Megabit versus MegaByte.
Connection speeds are generally displayed in Mb/s, while steam displays download speeds in MB/s. There are 8 bits in a a byte, therefore 16Mb/s ~ 2MB/s .

Patroclos

Banned
People seem to be critical of some rather minor/petty things. Bottom line, is the game fun? I've heard from the vast majority of people that the game is a joy to play. That alone is encouraging enough for me to pick it up after work today.

Gaf can be super critical. It is very fun. If you like Batman or PS2 LotR games you will like it. Disclaimer; I think Destiny is fun also. That could make me an idiot in your book.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Bosses were awesome in DS2.. but for the most part couldn't be beat solo. Teaming up made the boss fights a pushover. Which defeated the purpose of being strong enough to beat them. And all of them had attack patterns that, given enough defeats, could be beaten.
-M

Yeah, no. I beat the entirety of Dark Souls, including the DLC, completely solo and in hollow mode without any help from either players or NPC's. Sure it was hard as hell but the challenge was the fun! Well, I beat every boss except for that last dragon in the DLC. I have yet to take him down.... :(

I just had to state this, as I'm God Damned Proud of my accomplishment! Praise the Sun!!!!!

Loxley

1. Fans of LOTR and some others hyping up the game since announcement. Create thread "Come in and be hyped with me". Nobody else pays attention.
2. Game gets solid reviews, the people who weren't hyping suddenly go out and get the game to #4 on Amazon and start claiming "sleeper hit GOTY".
3. Original people are pleased with game, late jumpers are disappointed that it isn't the GOTY they were 'promised'.

Lesson: Keep your damn expectations in check. It's hilarious how GAF says don't listen to reviews until a game gets surprisingly good ones.

Nailed it. The ones who seem to be disappointed in Shadow of Mordor appear to be the people who had no interest in the game at all until the reviews hit, but then got swept up in the surprise-hype and made an impulse purchase.

Etnos

Banned
IMO the fact no one can really say the exact resolution and frame rate of the xbox one version proofs: it is really no that important. I find kind of hilarious we need a DF analysis so everyone is like ohh yeah see right there X number of -P- this stuff its so inferior!!! I knew it... I just needed a technical analysis to actually spot the difference.

btw, got the pc version.. so count me as neutral, I just find that stuff hilarious.

Saiyan-Rox

Megabit versus MegaByte.
Connection speeds are generally displayed in Mb/s, while steam displays download speeds in MB/s. There are 8 bits in a a byte, therefore 16Mb/s ~ 2MB/s .

Don't confuse megabits with megabytes.

1 megabyte = 8 megabits.

Your download speed of 2 MB in that case would be advertised as 15 Mbps.

Ah bugger that's were i'm going wrong then.....Screw that ugh

Patroclos

Banned
I am on the fence on getting the PS4 version. I would rather go for that if I know that the pre-order items are available (i.e. the Dark Ranger outfit, etc..).. Anyone with a PS4 able to get the pre-order stuff working in-game?

Yes. Redownloaded the game from the store on my computer and the DLC showed up.

MMaRsu

Guys my PSN didnt download my pre-order stuff from the US PSN store? I can start up the game but before beginning I wanted to check with yall

pixlexic

Banned
Gaf can be super critical. It is very fun. If you like Batman or PS2 LotR games you will like it. Disclaimer; I think Destiny is fun also. That could make me an idiot in your book.

GAF does seem to have its share of gaming hipsters these day but it's not that bad.

As long as you like the game that's all that matters. I personally live both this game and destiny.:)

Whooter

That's just false advertising on your ISP's part. Steam seems to use nearly 100% of your bandwidth for downloads.

Or it tries to, anyhow. I've got Google Fiber and I have to throttle my Steam downloads to 10MB/s. Any faster and it can't write to disk fast enough to keep from having to pause every second or two to catch up.

Yes, I know... #FirstWorldProblems

Guys this fucking game, this game!!!!!

So I'm fighting the guy who killed me muzglob, and then all of sudden he activates an ability called hate of defeat and he regenerates all of his health. I'm like "nope" and run away and while running away I run into another captain-_-

I start fighting the Muzglob and the second captain at the same time with other orcs, the second contain in invulnerable to jumping over him so it make the fight even harder. I'm close to killing the second captain and he decides to run away and say that he'll let his boys know about this. I decide he won't get that chance and killing him instantly. Then I proceed to finish off muzglob, the hate in me wanted to kill him but then I got an even more fiendish thought, I'll get some info from him. If only I had brand, I'd make him my minion ahahahahahahahah.

IMO the fact no one can really say the exact resolution and frame rate of the xbox one version proofs: it is really no that important. I find kind of hilarious we need a DF analysis so everyone is like ohh yeah see right there X number of -P- this stuff its so inferior!!! I knew it... I just needed a technical analysis to actually spot the difference.

btw, got the pc version.. so count me as neutral, I just find that stuff hilarious.

Sort if how I feel... I spent the past week obsessing about what the resolution and framerate would be on Xbox and now that it's out no one can really tell for sure except for pixel counters... This is the last time I get caught up in this debate lol.

S1kkZ

!!! FOR THOSE HAVING A SHIT ONE RE: THE LEGION EDITION BONUSES !!!

I just prompted my PS4 to re-download the entire game via the web store (re-add to cart for $0 > download to PS4); lo and behold, there they appeared in the download queue!

Pretty sure it works via the console store, too.

nope, doesnt work for me. great...so, am i fucked now? any other way to access the content i paid for?

slade

Played about 2.5 hours so far. Loved what I have played. Offed a bunch of Captains I just stumbled upon here and there. Then some of them just kept on returning. One in particular, I ran across again twice and one time he ambushed me while I was trying to sneak up on another Captain. Ran away from one guy who called down around a million Uruks. I like the stealth and movement in this a lot better then Ass Creed. Solid game so far.

ironcreed

Banned
Guys this fucking game, this game!!!!!

So I'm fighting the guy who killed me muzglob, and then all of sudden he activates an ability called hate of defeat and he regenerates all of his health. I'm like "nope" and run away and while running away I run into another captain-_-

I start fighting the Muzglob and the second captain at the same time with other orcs, the second contain in invulnerable to jumping over him so it make the fight even harder. I'm close to killing the second captain and he decides to run away and say that he'll let his boys know about this. I decide he won't get that chance and killing him instantly. Then I proceed to finish off muzglob, the hate in me wanted to kill him but then I got an even more fiendish thought, I'll get some info from him. If only I had brand, I'd make him my minion ahahahahahahahah.

Sounds fiendishly fun. Can't wait to fire it up later.

Razorskin

----- ------
Or it tries to, anyhow. I've got Google Fiber and I have to throttle my Steam downloads to 10MB/s. Any faster and it can't write to disk fast enough to keep from having to pause every second or two to catch up.

I wish I had this problem.

Sort if how I feel... I spent the past week obsessing about what the resolution and framerate would be on Xbox and now that it's out no one can really tell for sure except for pixel counters... This is the last time I get caught up in this debate lol.

Not necessarily true though. People knew it wasn't 1080p. They just couldn't tell you the exact resolution without pixel counting.

Auctopus

lol, Southern UK and I max out on 2.5mb/s

Patroclos

Banned
Dark Souls is on on-rails RPG... okay. Wow.

Anyways, is there difficulty settings that I'm missing somewhere? I want to bump up the difficulty up (significantly if possible). Two hours in, and its pretty easy. The combat system seems to be much more forgiving then Batman so far (e.g. interrupt an execution to counter instantly) and I want somewhat of a bigger challenge.

No difficulty settings. I got killed by the same guy twice in the beginning. He had the tracker ability. Now he has shit tons of immunities and with his tracking ability he is proving to be a right bastard. Dying might make it harder? Seems weird because won't the bad players have a harder time?

Xeroblade

The giantbomb quick look made me want this so bad despite despising the movies and books.

If anyone loves the recent batman games, get this game NOW. Not on PS Now, thats a dream and a dumb one, but yes get this game, once you slice a uruk's head off you will feel like a badass. I have only played 1 hour that is my tiny look at.

UrbanRats

I couldn't. And I doubt most could. And you do have to grind in DkS. How else do you level up and collect souls?

You couldn't, but it can be done, and it is supposed to be done, too.
Just because you lack the skill to do it, doesn't mean the game needs to be played coop.

And no, you're not supposed to "grind".
Either you don't know what grinding means, or you're playing DkS wrong, perhaps due to the lack of skill mentioned above, but again, nothing to do with what the game requires of you.

Enemies (in one run through the area) and bosses alone, give you plenty of souls to level up enough to procede in the game without any grinding being necessary, and solo, too!
And i'm not talking about superhuman speed runners.

MUnited83

For you.
Yeah, no. I beat the entirety of Dark Souls, including the DLC, completely solo and in hollow mode without any help from either players or NPC's. Sure it was hard as hell but the challenge was the fun! Well, I beat every boss except for that last dragon in the DLC. I have yet to take him down.... :(

I just had to state this, as I'm God Damned Proud of my accomplishment! Praise the Sun!!!!!

Saying "Praise the Sun" and only playing solo? Come on man, at least help your sunbros :p

mstevens

For those that have it already, how hard do you think the plat will be? I'm getting the game later this week and I'm just curious

KePoW

Banned

Quite frankly you have a hard drive problem then. 10MB/s should be nothing for a HD

Top Bottom