• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor |OT| One Title to rule them all

Gaz_RB

Some have higher standards here. That's not condescending btw as I'm part of the "easily impressed" bunch. I didn't even notice the fps on second son while playing because I was too busy having nerdgasms over the graphics.

Yeah I can definitely understand people having higher standards. Graphics are a huge part of games.

BPoole

If the game is too easy and there is no difficulty selection, the Nemesis system kind of falls apart, doesn't it?
I remember reading something about the ability to send death threats to Orcs and that makes them harder to kill. I think it also might make Orcs under their hierarchy stronger too, but that I am not entirely sure of. Deaths threats could just be sent to them as well I suppose.

Surge

I know my chances are slim but I'm hoping to get this through Gamefly otherwise I'm stuck waiting a few weeks until I can buy it.

Slixshot

Banned
Anyone else not receive their ranger skin yet? Got my copy off of amazon and wondering if I should have got it by now. I got the rune, but no ranger.

Kilau

Well so far I am enjoying the hell out of this game.

The combat makes me feel like a totally in control bad ass. I am big fan of all things Tolkien so that helps some too :)

After playing the PS4 version for about 45 minutes I dig this. The game 'clicked' for me, so I'm looking forward to a solid, focused action experience with a decent story. I'm not a LOTR fan, but the tone of the narrative so far seems cool.

I like how the combat feels, and I dig the light stealth mechanics available. I can totally understand why some people aren't feeling this game, but I think it's what I'm in the mood for at the moment. Should keep me busy until Evil Within, if that ends up being as good as I'm hoping.

I dont agree. batman has tons of stuff to do as sidequests that is not beating up bad guys.
sure, combat is still the main thing, but in mordor its the only thing.

and you dont really want to compare mordor to dark souls, do you? if you compare mordor to an actual good game that offers only combat it will look even worse than if you compare it to batman.

dark souls offers huge, detailed and diverse enviroments. mordor offers a boring wasteland.

dark souls has tons of different weapons with different animations, strenghts and weaknesses. it has different kinds of magic. mordor has three set main weapons, which can be improved/changed slightly with runes.

dark souls has tons of different kinds of enemies with completely own design, attack patterns and require different strategies. and huge, spectacular bosses.

mordor has a handful of enemy types and mini bosses with randomly generated strenghts and weaknesses.

if mordor would offer the same variety and depth in combat as dark souls does, no one would complain. but it doesnt, its nowhere near dark souls. its basically a brawler like batman but with much less diversity. so the question "what else do you de besides killing orcs" is absolutely legit.

Ok, ok.. We get it. You love Dark Souls.

Ricker

No difficulty setting..off to a bad start lol...looks overly complicated for now and can't spend much time with it but I did manage to do the first mission but 2 Orcs killed me already and went up in ranks...looks pretty good on the PS4 though,interface is solid but like usual,text and icons are really small...I have no daggers yet...? my first mission kill gave me a rune to slot in daggers...not sure I understand one of the attributes I unlocked also about hit streak meter...I dont see it...I see numbers on the top left but how do I know when to hit O and Triangle at the same time...?

gdt

Played for about 2.5 hours. Enjoying it a lot, but yeah the combat is straight up AC, same controls and everything. Its a little simple now cause of no unlocks. Hopefully some gadgets/variation comes into play soon.

Game looks great, I'm digging it.

I just pixel counted. There are a few places on both that you can get a good clear look at the steps. I count 20 steps in 24 pixels that's 0.833 which is 900p. It's definitely not 720p as many outlets speculated.

That's what a poster at Beyond3D counted as well. This game still looks great at 900p, BTW. I got the XB1 version so my wife could play it while I play Forza on the big TV (2 XB1, 1 PS4 household).

Kagoshima_Luke

Gold Member
You go over in your mind how linear DS is.. then you'll have your definition of linear. The game is nowhere near a true open-world RPG. Come up with your own logical definitions.. I don't need to define it for you.

giphy.gif

Played for about 2.5 hours. Enjoying it a lot, but yeah the combat is straight up AC, same controls and everything. Its a little simple now cause of no unlocks. Hopefully some gadgets/variation comes into play soon.

Game looks great, I'm digging it.
By AC you mean Arkham City, then yeah. Stealth (kill), climbing, and the tower unlock are AssCreed.

Moff

If you consider solving Riddler puzzles as something to do in Batman, or seeing how long you can fly through hoops in Gotham, then sure. It does have more to do. But that's not the selling point in the game.. nor is it even done by most people who play the game.

yes as I said, the combat is the main part. but some diversity goes a long way. because 100% orc slaughtering just gets tiresome very fast. and in batman you have a wide variety of gadgets which make the levels a lot more diverse. there is a difference between slaughtering 100 orcs in a boring wasteland and fighting yourself through a level with 100 goons and many puzzles in between, or uses of gadgets after every group. thats the diversity I am talking about. batman offers a lot of it. it makes the game more interesting and less tiresome, even if, yes, the combat is still the main aspect. if batman had only combat it would be a worse game. like mordor.

Yeap.. It does offer a lot of variety.. but it's still an on-rails RPG. You can't go ANYWHERE.
so what? no one said that. but there is a huge difference between fighting most of the time in a boring wasteland and having a few dozen completely different looking environments. from dark ruins to lava worlds and creepy forests. if dark souls only had only one environment, it would a worse game. like mordor.

And of all the tons of weapons with different animations, most people select their role and play with that. Which narrows down the animations to a small handful. No decaps, no brutal kills either. I'd rather have main weapons and then just level them up (which is what DS does too.)
of course you select one role and play and level that, per playthrough, are you seriously trying to devalue dark sous' huge arsenal of weapons because most people stick to 1 or 2 per playthrough? no man, it doesnt work like that. that everyone can choose the weapon that matches his style is a huge plus. not to mention the different kinds of magic with dozens of different spells each.
dark souls would be a much worse game if it only had 3 usable weapons. like mordor.

Yes, and none of them are going to be as fun as the Nemesis system. On top of that, you still have to grind to advance in the game or move forward in the plot. Dying respawned the same enemies in the same locations.

first of all, yes the nemesis system is mordors biggest and pretty much onle plus. its where it shines.
but it does not excuse in any way that you only have a few differents kinds of enemies and all nemesis are the same kind of enemy. it has nothing on dark souls bestiarum. if dark souls had only a handful of different enemiey and its bosses would all be of the same type, just with different details and strenghts and weaknesses, it would be a worse game. like mordor.

Ok, ok.. We get it. You love Dark Souls.

who doesnt?
he brought it up btw.
I think its a dumb idea to compare it to mordor and advised against it, if you read the text you quoted

S1kkZ

where can i download th pre-order/psn legion edition stuff? it only donwloaded the game for me and i cant find anything on the psn store.

where can i download th pre-order/psn legion edition stuff? it only donwloaded the game for me and i cant find anything on the psn store.
Yeah noticed that too. With destiny the content was available and all you had to do is restore license in settings and check in the content section of the game to see if extra content had downloaded.

The fact I can't even see the extra stuff in content makes me assume that it's meant to be downloaded/unlocked in-game. Or something.

TaKeRx

It's crazy how the game got good reviews, but no one mentioned the difficulty aspect of it(unless they did?).

I have my copy waiting at BestBuy, but with Forza Horizon out today as well I'm not sure whether I should keep it or not.

Bashing the game for looking muddy, brown and boring.

This is like the equivalent of the time when Gears of War was hated for its grey tone.

Have you guys even seen the LOTR movies? If so, was Mordor filled with beautiful rainbows, rivers and a lush green landscape? No.

Just stop.

PepperedHam

So just to clarify the season pass/DLC stuff for my simple brain:

The only reason to buy the season pass early at the moment is if you really want to play that Flaming Eye mission right now and to get early access to the challenge modes (which you unlock anyway from my understanding).

So is there anything worthwhile that I am missing out on by not pulling the trigger on that thing this week or in the near future?

Grief.exe

This is like the equivalent of the time when Gears of War was hated for its grey tone.

Have you guys even seen the LOTR movies? If so, was Mordor filled with beautiful rainbows, rivers and a lush green landscape? No.

Just stop.

There are a few areas as well, I don't know if people have gotten to those yet. They may have different aesthetics all together.

Saiyan-Rox

Decided to jump in with that GMG 25% off deal this morning... I love Steam's download speeds.

e5Vqviq.png

I only get 2MB/s even tho my line gets 15MB on speed tests. Not 100% upto speed on how it all works but it suuuucks i've been downloading for about 4 hours now and still an hour left

Grief.exe

I only get 2MB/s even tho my line gets 15MB on speed tests. Not 100% upto speed on how it all works but it suuuucks i've been downloading for about 4 hours now and still an hour left

That's just false advertising on your ISP's part. Steam seems to use nearly 100% of your bandwidth for downloads.

How do I interogate uruks? Is it all of them or it a few?

Grab with RT, then hit X. I'm using a DS4 on PC.

Patroclos

Banned
!!! FOR THOSE HAVING A SHIT ONE RE: THE LEGION EDITION BONUSES !!!

I just prompted my PS4 to re-download the entire game via the web store (re-add to cart for $0 > download to PS4); lo and behold, there they appeared in the download queue!

Pretty sure it works via the console store, too.

Thank You!!!!!

This game desperately needs a difficulty option. I just fought off about 20+ orcs without trouble at all, this was while they were occasionally trying to raise the alarm. No alarm was raised and I had no trouble dispatching all the enemies. It's far too easy and the combat system is too lenient for when you can/can't counter etc.

Seanspeed

Banned

Just stop.
Just because its in-line with the movies doesn't mean people have to like it.

A buddy of mine told me around the half way point it starts getting much harder. That aside, really, really digging this game, but I had no hype for it. Also I got destroyed by a group in the first hour of play. So what is everyones definition of easy at this point?

KePoW

Banned
This game desperately needs a difficulty option. I just fought off about 20+ orcs without trouble at all, this was while they were occasionally trying to raise the alarm. No alarm was raised and I had no trouble dispatching all the enemies. It's far too easy and the combat system is too lenient for when you can/can't counter etc.

Did the Batman games have difficulty settings? I don't recall

Saiyan-Rox

That's just false advertising on your ISP's part. Steam seems to use nearly 100% of your bandwidth for downloads.

Grab with RT, then hit X. I'm using a DS4 on PC.

Even with speed tests giving out faster speeds? Been tempted to jump ship lately but just too much effort

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!

Just stop.

It's not the art direction, it's the technical side of the game that those complaints stem. Textures are not as sharp, distinct, and appear 'muddy'. Environments are constructed fairly simply with some very boxy and dull connective sets. There is rarely much identity to the individual pieces, and despite being a next-gen game, much of it looks more comparable to a ps3 game with a few lighting filters. Especially apparent looking at the models of you and your family in the intro.

I am enjoying the game and adore the nemesis system(even if the game is too easy), but this is pretty far removed from impressing me as a next-gen showcase. Mordor is meant to be a drab landscape, but it could look a lot better.

Just because its in-line with the movies doesn't mean people have to like it.

True.

But there is absolutely no reason to bash and discredit the game and developer for it when the developers wanted to stay true to the franchise. This has been mentioned a gazillion of times.

If you hated it that much, do not buy the game. It is not like it came as a huge surprise that the atmosphere is supposed to be dark, brown and muddy full of desolate places.

It's not the art direction, it's the technical side of the game that those complaints stem. Textures are not as sharp, distinct, and appear 'muddy'. Environments are constructed fairly simply with some very boxy and dull connective sets. There is rarely much identity to the individual pieces, and despite being a next-gen game, much of it looks more comparable to a ps3 game with a few lighting filters. Especially apparent looking at the models of you and your family in the intro.

That was never so apparent in allot of opinions from the posters here but I can understand where you are coming from. At least you validate your point.

Auctopus

Gutted that this has turned out to be a bit of a letdown.

1. Fans of LOTR and some others hyping up the game since announcement. Create thread "Come in and be hyped with me". Nobody else pays attention.
2. Game gets solid reviews, the people who weren't hyping suddenly go out and get the game to #4 on Amazon and start claiming "sleeper hit GOTY".
3. Original people are pleased with game, late jumpers are disappointed that it isn't the GOTY they were 'promised'.

Lesson: Keep your damn expectations in check. It's hilarious how GAF says don't listen to reviews until a game gets surprisingly good ones.

Top Bottom