• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor |OT| One Title to rule them all

Welllp... Sign me up as someone who started playing the game to test the settings for a few minutes and burnt several hours.

I hope steam's got cloud saves working for this game, not that I'd mind restarting on my main computer (playing on a weak computer at the moment, it runs surprisingly well. AMD dual core with a 5770. Running on mostly low, but consistently hitting 30fps even being completely surrounded).

I'm just not seeing any of the flaws some people have had... The combat is easy when facing a ton of grunts, yes... but when you suddenly find yourself surrounded by enemies and 2-3 captains it gets intense and on more than one occasion I ran because I knew the odds were way out of my favor.

Holy shit I looooove the nemesis feature... To be called out on things "You did this to my face, now I'm going to cut yours off and wear yours!" "My lads and I had a good laugh when you ran last time. Let's see if we can have a few more." are crazy awesome and really helps sell that your actions are real and less following an action game script.

JayEH

Regarding PS4 bonuses, I can vouch for the PS4 store method: I definitely had a "choose a version" message on the left below the game picture. When I clicked, it showed I had already bought one and TGS other was free. Downloading the free one added 3 DLC items to my download queue.

Haven't tried ingame yet though.

Thanks just downloaded now. That is in unnecessarily confusing.

Gaz_RB

I simply redeemed the code and the outfit is available when I press "Play" at the main menu before loading the game.

As is this one from Gamestop:

NAhxlq.jpg

WornWX.jpg

Damn I preordered on PSN and can't figure out how to get the Dark Ranger skin. You are making me so jealous!

I'm sitting in class and can't stop thinking about this game...

Edit: Dumb post. So those who have played the game, how is the story so far. One of the things that has me hyped is that the same writer from Red Dead wrote this.

Lord Phol

Wow just died, was freeing one of those Caragors and suddenly I'm ambushed by 3 captains. I manage to hunt down one of the captains who is afraid of Caragors, but when I turn around I see that the other two has killed my beloved beast friend and I get a sword to the head D:. I'm loving it! :D

JayEH

Ok so I've downloaded the Blood Hunters Warband, The Dark Ranger Character Skin, and Flesh Burners Warband (on PSN). The skin seems to be in game but where is the challenge mode (Test of Power I think)?

This is really getting annoying.

Regarding PS4 bonuses, I can vouch for the PS4 store method: I definitely had a "choose a version" message on the left below the game picture. When I clicked, it showed I had already bought one and the other was free. Downloading the free one added 3 DLC items to my download queue.

Haven't tried ingame yet though.

(Edited, my autocorrect apparently prioritizes "TGS" over "the" for some reason lol)

Was the entire game redownloaded? Or did it realize it was already installed on the system and just downloaded the extras?

I know it is being heavily praised, but I am not enjoying the whole nemesis system so far. I think this is mainly because I feel the game does not hardly explain to you anything about it.Im just walking into a battle, seeing a guy with a unique name and then killing him. Sometimes I get killed and it shows a menu with a bunch of orcs on it and something happens...idk. But then I see the orc that killed me like 5 minutes later and kill him. Wasnt there something about how you could control captains or something like that? Am I even supposed to be killing them?

-Deimos

I know it is being heavily praised, but I am not enjoying the whole nemesis system so far. I think this is mainly because I feel the game does not hardly explain to you anything about it.Im just walking into a battle, seeing a guy with a unique name and then killing him. Sometimes I get killed and it shows a menu with a bunch of orcs on it and something happens...idk. But then I see the orc that killed me like 5 minutes later and kill him. Wasnt there something about how you could control captains or something like that? Am I even supposed to be killing them?

I had the same reaction and so did a few reviewers, I think. It's supposed to get better once you unlock the ability to control the captains, which happens later in the game. Until then the it's pretty boring.

The control thing unlocks later as you progress through the story, no point if the game handed you all of your goodies at the very start. You fight them before that because you want to keep their general power down (unless you're trying to hunt for some rare/strong runes)

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Wraith slap -> sword flurry -> execution where he just knocks the enemy on their ass and plunges a sword through their mouth.

jesus christ the executions are great, lol.

Play more of the story missions to unlock more abilities. You really won't be able to fully take advantage of everything till you have more abilities. I think what is confusing some people is that they think that the nemesis system is something like a list of dudes that have to all be killed. It is simply the orc hierarchy, there will always be an endless amount of orcs going through the ranks. The good choices come from trying to get your marked orcs strong enough to go up through the ranks and stay at the top, and even giving them marked bodyguards to protect them.

Gaz_RB

This goddamned Orc named Naku the Biter keeps killing me and showing up at the worst times. He's strong as hell now. And he doesn't even talk, he just fucking screams at me. :( and he has no weakness :(

addyb

So fellow gafers I know it's all new and fresh and at times the new game buzz can cloud our judgements but is it just as good as the reviews make out? Or better or maybe your just not feeling it? I have to wait til Thursday before I'm unleashed.

In terms of side missions. Has it got variety or is it all the same kind of activities.

Really really can't wait for this :)

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
The 'press x to dodge' prompts are pretty ridiculous. I can triangle reflect 30 Orcs at once, but the shit like the ghul mother gives you like a .4 second time window to hit x and not hit triangle. Same thing with the four legged beasts.

It's a big sore spot on the game.

Rurunaki

Ok so I've downloaded the Blood Hunters Warband, The Dark Ranger Character Skin, and Flesh Burners Warband (on PSN). The skin seems to be in game but where is the challenge mode (Test of Power I think)?

This is really getting annoying.

They will appear on the map as "missions." They're basically Orc bosses you kill for runes.

Zareka

TotalBiscuit's video made this game look awesome and now I'm interested. Thing is, I'm not a fan of Lord of the Rings (or rather I just haven't bothered watching/reading anything to do with it). Will this game still have the same appeal for someone who isn't immersed in the LotR universe?

I'm considering it for Christmas but don't want to be completely lost due to lack of lore knowledge etc.

Gaz_RB

The 'press x to dodge' prompts are pretty ridiculous. I can triangle reflect 30 Orcs at once, but the shit like the ghul mother gives you like a .4 second time window to hit x and not hit triangle. Same thing with the four legged beasts.

It's a big sore spot on the game.

Idk, I think it helps make the game actually challenging. Otherwise it's just, like you said, triangle triangle, triangle.

Play more of the story missions to unlock more abilities. You really won't be able to fully take advantage of everything till you have more abilities. I think what is confusing some people is that they think that the nemesis system is something like a list of dudes that have to all be killed. It is simply the orc hierarchy, there will always be an endless amount of orcs going through the ranks. The good choices come from trying to get your marked orcs strong enough to go up through the ranks and stay at the top, and even giving them marked bodyguards to protect them.

oh ok, that is actually exactly what I thought it was lol

SJRB

Gold Member
This game is awesome. I like the part where I kill more Orcs in 10 minutes than Legolas did in Desolation of Smaugh and LotR combined.

Pavillion

there a reason my ps4 sounds like its going to explode when the disc is in? i wasnt even playing yet and was just sitting on the home screen.

Played all night on my PC. On a i7-4770k@4GHZ/a gtx 780 everything maxed minus the ultra texture pack and everything ran at 60 fps pretty much locked the entire time(5+ Hours) looks great and played wonderfully.

I switched over to the PS4 version and immediately noticed the difference in framerate. I don't know what the PS4 version runs at, but it's definitely substantially worse than PC. That said, played that version for a few hours and had a great time. After a few hours I didn't notice the difference in framerate and it still looks great.

I agree with everyone so far about Talions character design. I dunno, side by side it does look like Troy Baker, but Talion with no reference looks like Average Guy. No. 1. We'll see if the that changes with the story.

TotalBiscuit's video made this game look awesome and now I'm interested. Thing is, I'm not a fan of Lord of the Rings (or rather I just haven't bothered watching/reading anything to do with it). Will this game still have the same appeal for someone who isn't immersed in the LotR universe?

I'm considering it for Christmas but don't want to be completely lost due to lack of lore knowledge etc.

There is more here for Tolkien fans (at least ones without sticks up their butts), but there is nothing wrong with playing if you don't have any LotR knowledge. It's a fairly simple story from what I've experienced so far. As long as you know Sauron is the biggest of bads and Mordor is his home turf, you got everything you need to know really.

I'm not a LOTR fan at all. I played the game for an hour last night, and it seems like the game is a very self-contained story. The acting is good, and it tells you all you need to know so far.

They make allusions to Sauron, but I think all you need to know is that he's the super-bad villain. Right as I stopped playing I saw Golem appear in a cut-scene, but other than that I haven't felt like I'm missing out as a non-LOTR fan. I'm sure Tolkien fans are getting stuff out of it that I'm not, but I think if you approach it as a fantasy game on its own merits that's totally fine.

I am loving the hell out of it so far. The story is really interesting and the characters are very well portrayed. I also can't express enough how I love the fluidity of the gameplay.

Lord Phol

Yup, this is definetly GoTY material for me. Just having so much fun and the game is full of exciting and well done LoTR lore nuggets! Love all the little details, just overheard some Uruk talking crap about one of the captains that I'm on the look-out for, cool stuff.

Also, apprently my GFX card vas only 2GB but I'm still getting 60fps with everything on high.

Grief.exe

I just had an Uruk called Kothug the Poet.

When I first attacked him he said, 'I had it in me head that I will make you dead!'

iQz0RpZFjn54T.jpg

I should have let him kill me and ascend the ranks.

Top Bottom