• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor |OT| One Title to rule them all

bombshell

there a reason my ps4 sounds like its going to explode when the disc is in? i wasnt even playing yet and was just sitting on the home screen.

It's installing the full contents of the disc onto the harddisk, so the disc drive will be spinning at full speed until that is finished.

Thyralax

Banned
Absolutely phenomenal game so far, the nemesis system is amazing. I got killed by a no name uruk an hour ago and now he's one step below a war chief, this fight is going to be so rewarding.

Edit: Dumb post. So those who have played the game, how is the story so far. One of the things that has me hyped is that the same writer from Red Dead wrote this.

It's not high art or anything, but it's a good action game story (even if die-hard Legendarium sticklers will be pulling their hair out by the end of the game) that has interesting characters with motivations and snappy dialogue.

It's also REALLY obvious that the Red Dead writer had a hand in the story. Pretty much all of the main story cutscenes early on with Ratbag feel like you could swap out the characters for John Marston and some shifty western ne'er do well.

Also, Red Dead basically had Gollum in it anyway. Funny how things work out.

Nuke Soda

I just got jumped by two captains and a bunch of dudes and died. I like the quick time event death recovery, it actually makes sense. My killer got promoted the other gained power and a third captain I didn't see challenged and killed another captain. I really dig this nemesis system.

Kard8p3

Game is hella fun. I attracted a warchief to a bunch of shit I made explode, let me grab him and kill him instantly. Get fukt.

That PS4 pre-order thing is so annoying. Thanks for telling me to Download again. It's not even clear what you're DLing (just 2 versions of the same thing), but choosing the 2nd gets the 3 items downloaded. Ready to try Dark Ranger skin!

How do you use the skin?

Lord Phol

Hahahah! Was in the bushes and saw two uruks talking, or well one was puking by the side and the other one was talking about Gollum and casually playing with the bonfire. Seconds later FOFF! he starts burning and running around like crazy before falling over all burnt to crisp xD.

Gotta love how alive these guys feel.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
lol at the haters. go back to game of thrones, this game is legit and lives up to the hype, unlike destiny, titanfall and watch dogs.

Yeah, for this reason alone I am thinking of buying the game here at launch. Normally I wait for sale prices on Steam especially since I have a backlog of over 100 games to yet play at all, but the fact that someone made a good (maybe great?) game that actually delivers, I kind of want to "vote with my dollars" and reward them for it. My old and aging GTX560Ti is holding me back some too, maybe for Christmas this year I'll treat myself to a new 970 coupled with Shadows of Mordor....

Odd question but how is this game for dipping in and out of?

I work a lot now and don't even tend to play games during the week, but I want this as it looks pretty decent.

It's an rpg so I know it's not an ideal genre but some games do fairly well with infrequent but extended plays (fallout 3 etc)

Northeastmonk

Gold Member

I work a lot now and don't even tend to play games during the week, but I want this as it looks pretty decent.

It's an rpg so I know it's not an ideal genre but some games do fairly well with infrequent but extended plays (fallout 3 etc)

It's like a sandbox battleground. Your targets make sense and the plot is pretty straight forward. Imagine if Skyrim had 90% of its land mass Forts with bounties. There's a big emphasis on being a hunter out for sieges.

Youre making your enemy tougher, so you aren't going straight in without having other choices. It's fun going outside the beaten path, but you'll want to explore.

I've noticed I've ran into main story quests doing random stuff. That part is interesting. I can see why some people might get offended by it, but it's fun. It's simple yet complex.

The worst thing I can say is that it becomes repetitive, but the Nemesis system helps get over that.

MattyG

Banned
I think I found my rival. This orc (something The Dark, can't remember his name) showed up while I was fighting another captain. Got killed by him, went back, scared him off with a beast. He shows up later when I'm fighting another captain, has a rotten bag overy his face and looks badass. I "killed" him, kept fighting the other captain, And he came back again . I "killed" him again, but he tracked me down when I respawned and killed me. He's now one level below war chief and looks and acts insane.

Loxley

Shadow of Mordor isn't an RPG, not really. It's an action game first and foremost that just has skill-trees. It's similar to the Arkham games in that respect. As far as dropping in and put of, it seems to be pretty good for that. I've been playing on and off all day and haven't had any issues or annoyances to deal with.

This seems pretty hard by design, which is cool. I get the feeling that it has an inverse difficulty curve, wherein it will get easier as the game progresses.

Azlan

Ugh. I just listened to the Quicklook on Giant Bomb and am now having a really hard time not picking this up even though I have Forza Horizon 2 sitting pre-installed at home. If anyone wants to get hyped for the game just listen to Brad and Dan gush about it in that video for a while.

Anyone know the length of the campaign? I wonder if this is a game I could buy retail and then trade in towards Evil Within.

How long is the game in average?

Heard 12-15 hours if you just do the story, but there are other things to do in the world and the randomness of the nemesis system adds more hours to the game. For example I have played 1 hr and 33 mins and completed only 1 story mission out of

Also, I pre-ordered it via PSN but don't seem to have the pre-order content... anyone else?
Sorry for the copy/paste but this should work (from the PS4 store):
Regarding PS4 bonuses, I can vouch for the PS4 store method: I definitely had a "choose a version" message on the left below the game picture. When I clicked, it showed I had already bought one and the other was free. Downloading the free one added 3 DLC items to my download queue.

It's unintuitive as hell but worked here. It won't redownload the game, only DLC.

Loxley

Ugh. I just listened to the Quicklook on Giant Bomb and am now having a really hard time not picking this up even though I have Forza Horizon 2 sitting pre-installed at home. Anyone know the length of the campaign? I wonder if this is a game I could buy retail and then trade in towards Evil Within.

How long is the game in average?

Around 12 -13 hours if you just play the main story missions, it can be 30+ hours if you do everything else.

Does the game use anything from the movies? voice acting?, music?, etc.

Nope, it's all original. It takes design queues from the movies (Gollum is straight off the screen), but otherwise everything is unique to SoM.

nath999

I think the game is actually selling really well. For the first time in a long long time all 5 Ebgames near me is sold out of the ps4 version and for some reason my amazon preorder from e3 won't ship for another week.

I'm disappointed and happy at the same time, I really want LOTR to form into a true franchise like the Arkham games.

cackhyena

I'm hooked after two minutes of play. The combat is great and the different personalities for the orcs are such a cool touch. Loving it.

Dead

well not really...yet
Holy shit the orks actually change appearances?

I kept getting killed by this one dude but always after I had him near death. Just ran into him again and his face was all bandaged up. Finally killed the fucker.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
My copy is finally at my apartment, so my wife is going down to grab it from the office and do whatever installs it may need. I'll be off work in another 4 hours and after my workout, some grocery shopping, and dinner, I'll be ready to go! Surprisingly enough, the work day is going by at a pretty brisk pace, so I don't feel the drag like I did when I got my Vita and PS4. Can't wait to sink my teeth into this game! My friends have been gloating all day, regaling me with their nemesis stories, since they can play it (one is on vacation, the other works from home). I hate them.

-Snooze-

Banned
Games really funny. I had an early death to some assassin fellow who literally appeared out of nowhere to slaughter me. With his new found power he proceeded to stalk and kill me at every given opportunity. The guy was omnipresent.

That is until one failed assassination in which ran away from him and he was ambushed by two wild wargs (his weakness)

As I flee for my life in alerted with the message that he'd been killed.

... I miss him man

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Also, I pre-ordered it via PSN but don't seem to have the pre-order content... anyone else?

With Destiny I had to go back into the store and click download on the extra stuff I received with the Digital Guardian Edition. They were just sitting in the store with Free under the store page. Maybe it's still on the store page for the game.

I didn't get my Red Ghost until last week when I saw it hadn't been download. I went to the store page and it was sitting there.

Top Bottom