• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor |OT| One Title to rule them all

http://www.twitch.tv/machinima/b/570152365

Starts around 44 mins in. The guy playing tries going straight for the war chief that is higher leveled, instead of working his way up through the hierarchy. Starts out good, but gets OWNED.

WHY! Oh why did I watch that!?! Now Shadows of Mordor is tied to be my most anticipated game. My happy speed bubble of ignorant bliss has been poped, and I can feel the seconds slowing down as I wait for the release of the game. I'm getting the exact opposite reaction that I've felt for other major releases this year as I've learned more about them.

WATCH_DOG: Hmm...Something's really off about this game. Decides to pass.
Destiny: Got cold feet at last few hours before release. Canceles preorder.
Shadows of Mordor: What game?...Oh that game...Wow...I want it NOW!!!

deadfolk

Stangely the US PSN seems confused about this. The game page says 'This full game is expected to be available in 4 days on 9/28/2014', but also says 'Play the game on 9/30 starting midnight PST'.

WHY! Oh why did I watch that!?! Now Shadows of Mordor is tied to be my most anticipated game. My happy speed bubble of ignorant bliss has been poped, and I can feel the seconds slowing down as I wait for the release of the game. I'm getting the exact opposite reaction that I've felt for other major releases this year as I've learned more about them.

WATCH_DOG: Hmm...Something's really off about this game. Decides to pass.
Destiny: Got cold feet at last few hours before release. Canceles preorder.
Shadows of Mordor: What game?...Oh that game...Wow...I want it NOW!!!

I feel you. I was dead sure that I would have enjoyed destiny, but the more I looked into it, the more it felt a repetitive grind fest. I passed on that game. And now this game is where my gaming hopes are set for this fall.

Will buy for Troy Baker and Nolan North.
i9yVla7Ya6PKj.gif

I saw 1 story mission and I thought it was fantastic. It was on the internet stream I think. It was where Talion follows Gollum into the caves. That was a really cool mission.

I also saw a video of where Talion had died to some Orc and he encountered him again, and the Orc said, "Is this some joke? I killed you already!!" It was hilarious!! I can't wait for the dialogue when fighting. It's been sorely missed with other RPGs that I wish had it (i.e. Dark Souls, Dragon Age, etc.. ).

I'm really hoping that the parts of RDR I love(Hunting, ecosystem) translate well as I've heard them mention the random things that they'll do like Orc Hunts, Etc. I spent so much time just soaking that shit in when I played RDR and it seems that SoM is taking bits and pieces of games I love(Arkham, RDR) and the parkour lite movement from AC and mixing it all together to what I'd imagine a lot of fans of the source material are excited to be immersed in.

ChuckNyce

I've got a question. I'm trying not to watch too much footage because I'm really leaning on picking the game up, but most of the vids I've seen seem to focus on the Nemesis system. While really cool looking, there is more to the game right? As in actual story missions with different objectives to complete?

neorej

ERMYGERD!
I've got a question. I'm trying not to watch too much footage because I'm really leaning on picking the game up, but most of the vids I've seen seem to focus on the Nemesis system. While really cool looking, there is more to the game right? As in actual story missions with different objectives to complete?

Yes, there is a storyline / campaign to complete. They focus heavily on the nemesis system because it's the game's main USP.

deadfolk

I'm soooo torn. This (PS4) or Forza Horizon 2 (XBone, obv.) as my October game?

Guess I'll wait for the reviews to drop.

First world problems, etc.

Ray Wonder

Founder of the Wounded Tagless Children

Grab Forza Horizon 2 on the 30th and count it as a September game. Then you won't feel as guilty buying ME:SoM in October!

deadfolk

Grab Forza Horizon 2 on the 30th and count it as a September game. Then you won't feel as guilty buying ME:SoM in October!

If only! The missus would never go for that. Destiny was the september game, and I was pushing my luck getting the Digital Guardian (or whatever) edition.

I loved the FH2 demo, but this is looking awesome, and I'd like to support Monolith.

I had the same dilemma as you. Spent awhile trying to decide which game I could wait on getting for a bit, especially since both come out on the same day, and I simply won't have the time to play both.

...Ended up pre-ordering/pre-loading both.These are 2 out of 3 of my most anticipated games this fall. Succumb to the hype.

Vossler

Bought it from Newegg for $37.50 for PC. Need something newish to test out my 980. I have to say, this game has come out of nowhere for me.

I said I would wait till the end of October to play this because I had already been playing a lot of games recently and I have to settle into college before getting something new but now I'm not sure I want to. It looks too good. All someone said above, all these first world problems.

DrBo42

I'm really hoping that the parts of RDR I love(Hunting, ecosystem) translate well as I've heard them mention the random things that they'll do like Orc Hunts, Etc. I spent so much time just soaking that shit in when I played RDR and it seems that SoM is taking bits and pieces of games I love(Arkham, RDR) and the parkour lite movement from AC and mixing it all together to what I'd imagine a lot of fans of the source material are excited to be immersed in.

I don't think those will be anywhere near as deep as RDR. The amount of wildlife in the game seems very limited. Haven't seen any random events like orcs going hunting, I've only seen them go on hunts in a very linear mission system where you can ambush them during the hunt. That activity is separated from the free roam by a loading screen. So yeah I don't think we're going to see anything dynamic on the level RDR had but instead we'll get dynamic enemies via the nemesis system.

Edit: To be clear I don't think any activity happens dynamically in this game. I think everything is locked to you going to X location on the map and activating it/generating the NPCs and props etc. Temper your expectations with this stuff.

antitrop

I said I would wait till the end of October to play this because I had already been playing a lot of games recently and I have to settle into college before getting something new but now I'm not sure I want to. It looks too good. All someone said above, all these first world problems.

What're you playing?

What're you playing?
Ten months worth of PS+ games since I just got the PS4. I'm also playing Assassin's Creed 4 and I know someone bought me Ground Zeroes but that's short as hell so it's probably not a problem. This thread is already selling the shit out of this game for me so I'll probably give in :p

Levyne

Banned
Do we have an idea of console performance? I remember them saying they were targeting 1080p60 on PS4 a while back.

PS4: 1080p, targetting 60fps (some people have played it and stated that they don't notice drops but that's not ironclad.)

XBO: ??? and ???

Yeaaah

antitrop

Ten months worth of PS+ games since I just got the PS4. I'm also playing Assassin's Creed 4 and I know someone bought me Ground Zeroes but that's short as hell so it's probably not a problem. This thread is already selling the shit out of this game for me so I'll probably give in :p
Huh... those are some slim pickins.

I was going to try to talk you out of buying this until October, but you really need something to play, so lol, buy this now.

cackhyena

Ground Zeroes isn't slim pickins if you love the shit out of the game play and want to go after a lot of the extras. I got over fifteen hours in on that game.

Huh... those are some slim pickins.

I was going to try to talk you out of buying this until October, but you really need something to play, so lol, buy this now.

Haha, maybe you're right. AC4's pretty long when you're a completionist like myself. I bet this game will also pander to my completionist needs even if they've been a bit secretive about the side stuff in the game.

I was talking about games, but this too.

Yeah there is a mass dumping of 670's, 770's and various other cards as people are upgrading to 970's and 980's. Some mighty tempting deals in the BST thread.

No problem, brotherrrrrr. If you're short on cash, some of the nice people in the BST thread can help you out.

Thanks for the tip guys, I built this PC back in better days about 3 years ago now. It's the nicest thing I own and I love it dearly, but I know my 580 is getting old nowadays.

That said I don't think they'd let their cards go for the price of free, which is what I can afford.

We are Diamond Dogs.
MGSV HYPE! IT'S NOT OVER YET, BRRRROTHER

Top Bottom