• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor |OT| One Title to rule them all

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
so does the game explain how the captains or whatever you kill come back to life?

I havent played the game by the way, its just something that is bothering me

Solidsoul

Banned
Overall i am enjoying SoM very much. It's super fun and there is plenty to do, i don't mind the repetition. Definitely the best LoTR title yet, IMO.

The one thing that bothers me is the campaign mission design/depth. Not particularly fond of loading up missions separately from the world, it takes me out of it a bit. While i think a lot of cool stuff happens in the story missions overall it seems like an afterthought compared to the nemesis system.

Obviously this is what the game was marketed with, and it's why everyone was excited to play it but i really feel like a sequel or any potential future LoTR licensed games could do much better with the story. SoM is good, but there is so much more potential story wise, at least from what i have played. I am about half way through.

Ric Flair

Banned
Fuck you Chieftan Ugu and your two bodyguard Orcs! Fuck me, I need to level up some before trying to take another swing at Chieftan Ugu, god among orcs. I got too frustrated and leveled him up too much, he now has a move that takes 90 percent of the lifebar away and I'm not even sure it's a blockable move at that! Fuck me, Ugu, you bad. You so bad.

Veggy

so does the game explain how the captains or whatever you kill come back to life?

Well usually they come back and say something like "you thought I was dead/you left me for dead" and have some sort of scar from the previous fight, like one time I headshot a captain with an arrow and when he came back he had a metal plate covering parts of his face, or people dying to fire coming back with burn marks or are bandaged up

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
By1SRycIQAAGJOh.jpg:large

About halfway through, took me 8 hours. Just spent half an hour fighting in a stronghold against 5 Captains at once and whole crap load of lesser enemies, ended up killing them all, love how this randomly occurred.

Apathy

From what I gather, it's that you think you kill them but really you left them damaged and left for dead but did not finish the job. You have to end up the fight with a devastating move that chops or explodes their head off.

SMH @ this fool Uthug Blood-Axe who I've been dealing with since he was a level 5 who's killed me like 4 times and won a Duel I wasn't around for, so now he's a level 15 and invulnerable to nearly everything but stealth attacks and explosions. So OF COURSE he's never hanging around areas where I can stealth kill him or lure him into an explosion. Oh and btw, I ALREADY KILLED HIM IN THE FACE SO NOW HE'S HUNTING ME DOWN WITH A BIG ASS SCAR.

On the bright side, someone fled from me in terror and ran right into a camp fire killing himself which made me laugh.

Ric Flair

Banned
SMH @ this fool Uthug Blood-Axe who I've been dealing with since he was a level 5 who's killed me like 4 times and won a Duel I wasn't around for, so now he's a level 15 and invulnerable to nearly everything but stealth attacks and explosions. So OF COURSE he's never hanging around areas where I can stealth kill him or lure him into an explosion. Oh and btw, I ALREADY KILLED HIM IN THE FACE SO NOW HE'S HUNTING ME DOWN WITH A BIG ASS SCAR.

On the bright side, someone fled from me in terror and ran right into a camp fire killing himself which made me laugh.

I think the chieftan I was trying to kill was called Uthug (I called him Ugu, lol). It's pretty cool, when he come's out the music track is just a bunch of orcs chanting "Uthug, Uthug, Uthug, Uthug!". Dude has a huge ass axe and two bodyguards (one wields a crossbow and the other throwing-spears). Every time I initiate a battle with him a bunch of other orcs join the fray, fucking tough man. Also, one of his bodyguards (I think the one with the spears) poisons me while Uthug has this jumping attack that is so quick you can't block it and it takes like 90 percent of the lifebar away. Dude is a boss, straight up.

Solidsoul

Banned
Destiny or This game?

Hard question to answer without knowing your tastes. But overall the quality of both products are outstanding. The real difference, is the lack of direction Destiny has. It's not a good single player shooter and as an MMO it's seriously lacking in content. Shadow of Mordor knows exactly what it wants to be and does a damn good job doing it.

DrBo42

Finished it a few hours ago. Thoughts:

The way the story is presented is indeed a little disjointed and lacking. Considering this is set in Middle-Earth, I'm surprised the story didn't take more of a star role. Feels like it's barely there as a bare minimum to justify the setting/license.

Combat I really enjoy but there is some sort of input lag or something going on for PS4 that doesn't make it feel very crisp the first few hours. The slow drip of abilities and gated feel of both the currency unlocks and story progression is a noticeable pacing problem. Towards the middle of the game you get to a point where you have to brand the warchiefs after just receiving the ability. Depending on how you play or how distracted you get that's around 6 hours of game time without the most interesting aspect of the nemesis system or NPC interaction in general. I didn't notice it at the time but you're really just grinding that system until the final act starts which again makes the barebones story all the more noticeable.

Enjoyed building the legend of my weapons, felt right at home in the universe and provided fun challenges for the time spent. Collect-a-thons and hunting challenges are pretty standard and wish they were replaced with something more fleshed out. The areas are a bit on the small side but not enough to mark it as a negative. Traversal feels fine both on foot and mounted. Something that's strange is that they don't necessarily "feel" like Middle-Earth. I see towers and camps and all the Orc props but something isn't selling me on it and I can't quite figure it out.

Too tired to list all the hilarious and awesome stuff that went on with my Nemesis system experience but it's 100% what this game is. Talking to my friends about my experience and their experiences has been really entertaining. The handsome Uruk below was murdered 6 times before the credits rolled and by the 3rd time he came back to life I couldn't allow myself to decapitate him. I had to see just how far he was willing to go to achieve his goals.

By0TMr9CYAAi0pn.jpg:large

Hoshgrish died from arrows to the eye, fires, explosions, stabbing etc. Sometimes I killed him, sometimes he killed me. When it was clear it was the last time I'd see him it felt like an epic conclusion to our feud. Unfortunately depending on how you play and just how insistent on decapitation you are, you'll miss out on what I like to think is comedy gold and a truly unique experience.

Overall had a really good time with SoM. Not sure I'll be replaying the story anytime soon due to the unlock pacing or gated progression but messing around in the sandbox and experiencing the nemesis system is definitely worth seeing and revisiting. Solid 7/10.

Clocked in at 14 hours 22 minutes with a fair amount of messing about at 47% completion.

Mortemis

Banned
Got the game a few hours ago and just stopped playing. Not gonna lie, this was very much an impulse buy. Wasn't really paying attention to it but then yesterday I heard a few friends talking about it, I checked out that reviews were good, watched a few streams, read this thread and went out to grab it all in a short amount of time. PS4 needs something to play. From what I'm getting from this thread, looks like impulse buyers aren't enjoying it I guess.

Luckily that's not me, really liking this game. Haven't even delved deep into the story, you can really lose yourself captain hunting and with the nemesis system, I love that. Just trying to get a feel of the combat right now, I can see the lag you guys are talking about but nothing that I can't get used to. For some reason I had annoyances dealing with the camera, its a bit too close for comfort too. Other than that I'm enjoying this, can't wait for tomorrow to really jump into this game.

Really enjoy this game, although today it started acting up and stuttered like hell during any transitions to the wraith as well as any Nemesis encounters. I have a GTX 780, i7, tons of RAM. I don't know why it was doing that, it made it really annoying to play to the point where I just quit.

DOWN

Banned
I searched but no answer: anyone else getting sort of hitches in the audio on PS4? Like it sounds like the audio keeps cutting for a fraction of a second? It's not my equipment because other stuff isn't doing it, only Shadow of Mordor.

Finally got to play tonight. Wow. Work conspired against me and had me work late. Picked up a copy before my girlfriend arrived. Spent a few hours with her, say goodbye, finally start it up and fiddle with options when she texts and asks if she can stop by real quick for a hug ten minutes after she left. Sure. Sure.

Anyway initial impressions are the game is awesome but the upgrade UI shit is confusing as fuck. Anyway awesome fun so far.

Dead

well not really...yet
Just got killed by Kaka

Who was promptly promoted to Kaka Blood Storm

I think that's it for today :lol

Adeptrain

Gah!! That feeling when a stupid grunt kills you and then becomes promoted to Captain. ㅠㅠ

He will NOT enjoy his promotion for long!!

Wallach

I prefer Dúsh.

Yeah one of my Captains is named something like this. I randomly spotted him out in the wild, and when I identified him with R3 Celebrimbor pronounced his name like "Douche-car". I was like... right, okay. Time to find some intel on the douche-car.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
A twisted way they could expand upon the nemesis system in the future, allow you to keep body parts as trophies. Take off an orc's arm and wear it on your belt, he'll come back with a hook hand. Take his leg and he comes back with a peg leg.

Ken

A twisted way they could expand upon the nemesis system in the future, allow you to keep body parts as trophies. Take off an orc's arm and wear it on your belt, he'll come back with a hook hand. Take his leg and he comes back with a peg leg.

No one wants to be reminded of hook-for-arms from the hobbit movies lol.

This has probably been asked before, but how does the combat in SoM compare to the Arkham games?

less intricate in terms of what you can do, since the arkham games if you wanted to you could use all your gadgets. But at the same time I feel there are also other things to do. The issue here is that you can be interrupted and can have a lot of enemies on screen at a time. Try to fight a swarm of orcs lol

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Since no one answered...
Question for people who got to the second area - is it possible to return to the first one afterwards?
I want to know if I should clear all the collectibles and challenges before moving on with the story.

I did not even know regular enemies are part of the whole promotion system as well.

I only thought the Captains that started to attack you could climb higher into rank but then I saw a video of an archer killing the player and he actually reacted in a very living way; ''I have been waiting months to get out of this hole'', and he got promoted because of it.

Now that is awesome.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Sorry if this has already been explained but why do captians I've killed come back?

Uruks are kind of genetically mutated orcs super soldiers and are birthed in vats through science! Basically they can be healed and brought back over time. I think the game does stop their return with you decapitating them, but only after numerous rematches. Not confirmed entirely though.

Top Bottom