• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor |OT| One Title to rule them all

This thread hyped me up too much, currently downloading on PSN.

Quick question though. It says the download is 4198 mb? Is that just how much it needs to dl before I can play the game? 15mbps connection so I'm getting around 2 megabytes a second done.

That has to be a partial download. The pre-rendered cutscenes alone will rocket the filesize far beyond that amount.

sangreal

Quick question though. It says the download is 4198 mb? Is that just how much it needs to dl before I can play the game? 15mbps connection so I'm getting around 2 megabytes a second done.

yes, that is just the initial download. I started playing shortly after that finished and never ran into a "finish downloading to continue" wall like you see in some games though

Not a fan of the lack of skins.

Basically a feature that gets its own slot in the menus, and the only skins are for pre-ordering, and pre-ordering from GameStop. No skins for game completion, no achievements for the Trials of War, and whatever difference there is between the standard weapons and legendary weapons is unnoticeable.

Also, the way the Trials are defined, it basically looks like you get an unlimited amount of time to earn whatever score you want, and then you can choose to complete the actual objective to get that score submitted to the leaderboards. I haven't checked to see if it stops you once the timer hits 15 or whatever the cap is in that particular trial, but according to the objective, the timer objective is only optional for an additional 1k points. That means the leaderboards are useless. This should be an actual timed event where the overall goal is to complete the objective as quickly as possible. The score based goal surrounding it is pretty horrible.

Speaking of, does Best Buy not do the Ranger skin?

Namikaze1

By-r2k3IQAEJNyq.jpg:orig
Look at this smug asshole. Bastard knows I can't kill him. Not yet anyway. I made the mistake of letting him live in our first encounter. I stood by as he savagely murders a lowly captain before his own Orcs. He and I would have several more encounters after that. Each one, I ran, not wanting to give this bastard the satisfaction of being the first to kill me.

When the time is right, I will find this bastard and I will kill him. I will wipe that smug look off his face with my fucking blade and/or arrow.

Trace

Banned
11 hours in, this could be my GotY so far. The combat system is amazing, and the nemesis system makes me actually feel involved in the game. Branding all a warchief's captains, then getting one to betray him, best feeling. The 3v1 is real.

yes, that is just the initial download. I started playing shortly after that finished and never ran into a "finish downloading to continue" wall like you see in some games though

Awesome. Thanks man. I got a 20mbps package from my provider and it doesn't seem to be enough, even though its the highest they offer. Looks like I'm sticking to physical

They have a chance to come back unless you decapitate them.

Subjective, but I think that is an amazing mechanic, even the best of players get to take part in the nemesis system.

Ah, I thought so. I wonder if how the execution occurs has any impact on whether the orc heals. Can't really see an orc getting back up after being stabbed through the eye-ball.

But yea, I agree that it's a great feature. Unfortunately the friend I spoiled itto (his PS4 copy has yet to arrive) didn't think so. He just needs to experience it.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Ah, I thought so. I wonder if how the execution occurs has any impact on whether the orc heals. Can't really see an orc getting back up after being stabbed through the eye-ball.

But yea, I agree that it's a great feature. Unfortunately the friend I spoiled itto (his PS4 copy has yet to arrive) didn't think so. He just needs to experience it.
Yeah, on paper it sounds lame but it makes the whole system work and makes it extra satisfying when you finally take the head of a particularly pesky one.

Anybody have some good tactical advice on how to bring down Pigug? I swear I've been at this guy forever, managed to take out the bodyguard and have been mostly stalking him on the outskirts of the stronghold, going in for quick jabs and then retreating but of course it doesn't help that the dudes health regens constantly. Also might I say I absolutely loathe the post fight qtes in this, I always choke and it really takes the fun out of the actual combat system. Lemme take the fuckers down without some bs qtes please! Hoping for a patch or mod that will remove them or a toggle at least.

Anybody have some good tactical advice on how to bring down Pigug? I swear I've been at this guy forever, managed to take out the bodyguard and have been mostly stalking him on the outskirts of the stronghold, going in for quick jabs and then retreating but of course it doesn't help that the dudes health regens constantly. Also might I say I absolutely loathe the post fight qtes in this, I always choke and it really takes the fun out of the actual combat system. Lemme take the fuckers down without some bs qtes please! Hoping for a patch or mod that will remove them or a toggle at least.
Pics of his traits? The names and everything associated with captains and chieftains are randomly generated. I don't know if we get much out of just knowing the enemy's name.

Trickster

Done with 'em :D

I did the wall, and after I did that I essentially wanted to punch whoever was in charge of that part of the game. Why make me collect 32 things and not giving me a proper reward of any kind. Fuck you random game designer person.

SRTtoZ

And then it downloads 27gb.

Dawg

I did the wall, and after I did that I essentially wanted to punch whoever was in charge of that part of the game. Why make me collect 32 things and not giving me a proper reward of any kind. Fuck you random game designer person.

I feel you. I wonder if the weapon missions reward you with an upgraded weapon at the end.

OrangeOak

I am sorry but what is drain from above and brand from above? I can't find it on ability list and I have rune that is giving something after performing this moves.
BTW I really love this game.Combat is so fluid and controls are really responsive.
I am at the beginning but I played couple hours doing nothing but killing orcs and captains and doing some side missions.

Corgi

Banned
kinda interesting that this game might be the only game ive ever got in which the preorder/day1 bonus is something REALLY GOOD.

outfit looks infinitely better than default one. That cape.

Pics of his traits? The names and everything associated with captains and chieftains are randomly generated. I don't know if we get much out of just knowing the enemy's name.

Oops forgot about the randomness of nemesis, his weakness is arrows and damage from finishers, he wields a big shield and can block your attempt to vault over him with it. He has a charging special where you have to spam A to avoid being hit. Just feels hard as nails to get the drop on him when you can't vault him, and of course the one hit kill blows that seem per for the course with war chiefs. I probably just need to be super patient and really observe his movements. I usually shy away from games with combat this challenging but damn is it addictive with this combat system.

Apathy

So whats everyones favorite time of day/weather pattern? Cause I much prefer daytime when its sunny, the night time stuff just seems too dark and hard to see some stuff

I am sorry but what is drain from above and brand from above? I can't find it on ability list and I have rune that is giving something after performing this moves.
BTW I really love this game.Combat is so fluid and controls are really responsive.
I am at the beginning but I played couple hours doing nothing but killing orcs and captains and doing some side missions.
Drain and Brand are the same thing. Brand is unlocked later in the story and then all Drain moves also Brand dudes. To Drain/Brand from above you need the skill for killing from above, which is in the first tier I think. RT+(X or Square) for kill and then RT+(B or Circle) for Drain/Brand.

EDIT: Oops I'm wrong, Stealth Drain is it's own skill in the second tier and that's how you Drain/Brand from above.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
kinda interesting that this game might be the only game ive ever got in which the preorder/day1 bonus is something REALLY GOOD.

I just wish it didn't have giant shoulder pads.

Yeah it looks cool, but the character still has the old outfit in the cut scenes. So I ended up switching back to default.

Corpekata

Banned
Is Wraith Finisher not working? It says it's supposed to make Flurry and Drain victims explode. Flurry works, but Drain doesn't, not even on combat drain.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Oops forgot about the randomness of nemesis, his weakness is arrows and damage from finishers, he wields a big shield and can block your attempt to vault over him with it. He has a charging special where you have to spam A to avoid being hit. Just feels hard as nails to get the drop on him when you can't vault him, and of course the one hit kill blows that seem per for the course with war chiefs. I probably just need to be super patient and really observe his movements. I usually shy away from games with combat this challenging but damn is it addictive with this combat system.

Weakness to arrows? You may just be able to kill him with a headshot, give it a try.

Corgi

Banned
so people that beat the game, which skills do you believe are the most useful?

No need for spoiler tags because the game lists all available skills.

Are those 'X-factor' final weapon upgrades worth getting? They seem on paper to be quite useful, but the description doesn't list cooldown.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Nope only takes about an eighth of his health down. I take it you can increase the number of arrows you can hold? Maybe I should work on that, just whittle him down from afar and then go in for the kill.
You can increase arrows and gain a combat drain ability, which is gery useful for dealing with captains with an arrow weakness.

CthulhuPL

Please GAF, sell me this game (or don't). I love LotR universe but I'm sick and tired of Assassin's Creed. I also like Batman Arkham. Is this game somekind of rpg or pure slasher only?

Please GAF, sell me this game (or don't). I love LotR universe but I'm sick and tired of Assassin's Creed. I also like Batman Arkham. Is this game somekind of rpg or pure slasher only?

I'm not a LOTR fan, and I'm also sick of Asscreed.

I like Batman, and after 4 hours I love this game. It's an action game with RPG elements, ie, the upgrades.

Picture it as Batman in terms of combat and upgrades mixed with mobility of Assassin's Creed. And the Nemesis system means it has it's own thing goin' on as well. I find the game quite addictive.

OrangeOak

Drain and Brand are the same thing. Brand is unlocked later in the story and then all Drain moves also Brand dudes. To Drain/Brand from above you need the skill for killing from above, which is in the first tier I think. RT+(X or Square) for kill and then RT+(B or Circle) for Drain/Brand.

EDIT: Oops I'm wrong, Stealth Drain is it's own skill in the second tier and that's how you Drain/Brand from above.

Thank you very much.I saw Stealth Drain but didn't knew that it is it.
Some of this skills are really fun to use.Like that pin down skill with bow.You can make really spectacular actions in this game :)

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

The guys comparing it to Assassins Creed probably haven't actually played it. I could see Batman comparisons making sense.

Patroclos

Banned

I hate Ass Creed. Love this game. The only real AC things are map/mission similarities/layout, climbing and parkour button. The combat is a slightly more forgiving Batman.

so people that beat the game, which skills do you believe are the most useful?

No need for spoiler tags because the game lists all available skills.

Are those 'X-factor' final weapon upgrades worth getting? They seem on paper to be quite useful, but the description doesn't list cooldown.
Combat Drain is my favorite because once you get Brand you can turn dudes to your side in the middle of battle. The hit streak reduction from 8 to 5 for special moves and Double Charge are awesome too. Makes fighting groups of dudes way easier. For the big weapon skills it says then charge with melee/ranged/stealth kills so I don't think there is a cooldown. 20 seconds is a lot of dead uruks and I've seen pics of Epic runes that extend the time to 30 seconds. Probably pretty useful.

ironcreed

Banned
This game just ramped up to 'holy shit' levels.

10626797_772063282857441_349088165828847698_n.jpg

First I had to defeat 35 Uruks to draw him out. Okay, no problem. But now he shows up with two captain bodyguards, then another captain shows up and there are also about 50 other Uruks chasing me all over the place. I mean, God damn.

Top Bottom