• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor |OT| One Title to rule them all

Joco

What do you do when you can't let go of your best enemy?

Sounds like Batman and Joker.

I get where you're coming from though. My nemesis was Skak the Claw, and that bastard must have killed me at least four times in all of our encounters. The last time I killed him he didn't get beheaded so I thought he would come back again but some time has passed and still no sign so I'm thinking he's gone for good. I really wanted to end him but now I'm a little disappointing he hasn't come back. Still hoping though.

Alur

2 Warchiefs down, 2 to go. But it is just entirely too easy to get sidetracked with all of the other stuff that keeps popping up. This is just an incredibly fun sandbox to play around in on the whole.

This is it for me. Half of the dudes on my Nemesis "board" are dead because I keep ranging out to kill Captains and the like, and I still haven't even went after a Warchief yet. It's like a never-ending rabbit hole. Loving it.

Has anyone encountered the Uruk who just shrieks in your face as an introduction? It's high pitched, loud, and unsettling. Didn't expect it at all.

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
This game mang, this game...

Completely got creeper out by this random introduction.

bite_me.gif

I dont think this a spoiler at all, it has nothing to do with main plot line or anything, but I will still spoiler tag it

There is a mission for the Urfael sword called Cutting the lines. You have to go into a camp and kill dozens of trainess.
Enemies seem to just keep spawning over and over again. Do I really have to go through all of them? There doesnt seem to be a way to get around it. The mission marker is right next to an early main mission, so I thought they were implying it was do-able now. This seems borderline impossible

Pastry

Banned
I dont think this a spoiler at all, it has nothing to do with main plot line or anything, but I will still spoiler tag it

There is a mission for the Urfael sword called Cutting the lines. You have to go into a camp and kill dozens of trainess.
Enemies seem to just keep spawning over and over again. Do I really have to go through all of them? There doesnt seem to be a way to get around it. The mission marker is right next to an early main mission, so I thought they were implying it was do-able now. This seems borderline impossible

There is a red enemy mixed in with the trainees, kill him first. That should stop the alarm from triggering.

Grief.exe

When going for the Rise & Fall achievement, is it possible to brand him to betray a warchief and still get it? It says you're suppose to help him there, but I don't know if branding counts as "helping".

Looks like it

http://www.trueachievements.com/a188995/rise-and-fall-achievement.htm?showguides=1
http://www.xboxachievements.com/gam...xbox-one/achievement/90121-Rise-and-Fall.html

This game mang, this game...

Completely got creeped out by this random introduction.

Okay, that is seriously creepy.

Trickster

Almost through the story missions now, and so far they've basically all felt like tutorial missions for skills or things you can do in the open world, pretty dissapointing tbh.

There is a red enemy mixed in with the trainees, kill him first. That should stop the alarm from triggering.

I actually just beat it on my next try. Just made beeline to the spear guys because they were usually who killed me, then swung away for about 10 minutes until I beat the mission lol The mission finished before I even killed everyone in the area, there are still about a good 10-15 enemies in this building with me and more outside

Edit: lol, went out of the missions accomplished screen to see several orcs scattering out of the building, that was priceless

Riding a Graug into a camp makes taking out a Warchief so much easier.

When can you actually start fighting warchiefs?

Last mission of Act 1.

When going for the Rise & Fall achievement, is it possible to brand him to betray a warchief and still get it? It says you're suppose to help him there, but I don't know if branding counts as "helping".

I am doing that.

You know what also works? Death threating a guy, dominating him, then when he gets killed later on at a higher level (say, Warchief), the death threat bonus still fuckin' applies.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I feel bad for anyone buying the PS3/360 versions of this. A gutted nemesis system and likely a significant cut in the number of orcs on screen will hurt the the game a lot.

Grief.exe

I feel bad for anyone buying the PS3/360 versions of this. A gutted nemesis system and likely a significant cut in the number of orcs on screen will hurt the the game a lot.

I remember reading a link a few pages back that Monolith confirmed the Nemesis system would be fully functional on last-gen consoles.

Not a fan of the lack of skins.

Basically a feature that gets its own slot in the menus, and the only skins are for pre-ordering, and pre-ordering from GameStop. No skins for game completion, no achievements for the Trials of War, and whatever difference there is between the standard weapons and legendary weapons is unnoticeable.

Also, the way the Trials are defined, it basically looks like you get an unlimited amount of time to earn whatever score you want, and then you can choose to complete the actual objective to get that score submitted to the leaderboards. I haven't checked to see if it stops you once the timer hits 15 or whatever the cap is in that particular trial, but according to the objective, the timer objective is only optional for an additional 1k points. That means the leaderboards are useless. This should be an actual timed event where the overall goal is to complete the objective as quickly as possible. The score based goal surrounding it is pretty horrible.

What is the difference between an interrogation target with the green icon, and interrogating any random orc you grab, because for me both lead to the same option - to press X on a member of the army that you haven't already pressed X on...

ryseing

Sequel needs to be set in Moria where you play as a dwarf.

I would be so down for this. Would probably not allow for parkour though.

Question- I bought the Season Pass. Where is the Celebrimbor mission? It's not popping up in Nurn. Is the icon on the Black Gate map?

Not a fan of the lack of skins.

Basically a feature that gets its own slot in the menus, and the only skins are for pre-ordering, and pre-ordering from GameStop. No skins for game completion, no achievements for the Trials of War, and whatever difference there is between the standard weapons and legendary weapons is unnoticeable.

seems silly considering that it wouldn't have been much more effort to give him more skins/outfits. I'm assuming the season pass will include skins. I imagine the obvious choice will be something like LotR film character skins.

ryseing

What is the difference between an interrogation target with the green icon, and interrogating any random orc you grab, because for me both lead to the same option - to press X on a member of the army that you haven't already pressed X on...

You don't get strengths/weaknesses by just interrogating a random orc.

piratethingy

Self professed bad raider

The green guys tell you their weaknesses (which don't activate unless you know of them) and their strengths. Interrogating anyone else just identifies them and give you their broad location.

My laptop runs this game at custom Low (A10 Hp 8gb ram.) Still looks better than a 360 game. I'm at a loss for how to play though. I kind of don't want to plow through the main stories, but running around killing captains, while fun, doesn't seem like the ideal way to go through this either.

Also i heard something about being able to create spis and stuff, but other than the story guy(i just reached the first warchief) i haven't sniffed any hint of that out.

Fought 1 captain. 2 more appeared right after i recovered from near death. ended up being chased down. found a Graug on the way. lured the captains and their orcs. grauge kills all 3 for me. had to lure the graug away from the dropped items. lol. will just use Graug from now on to fight my battles.

I am having one hell of a time surviving. I am 2 out of 4 Warchiefs in and I just can't beat the other 2. I have lost 5 times to one of them and I can't handle the entire army of Uruk that swarm me. I have a ton of abilities unlocked, but does anyone have any tips for surviving? It doesn't recognize some of my counter button inputs and it's driving me nuts.

So I was making my way though a strong hold and came up on a group of uruks.

I just picked one at random from a distance and fired a single charged arrow into their face, it instantly went to the slow-mo captain killed thing.

Just randomly running around and I happen to pick random uruk who happens to be a captain with a weakness to arrows.

I love this game (when it isn't crashing)

Warablo

This game is annoyingly hard. It is satisfying when you come through with some good Warchief/Captain kills though.

Any time you hear the wind blow it will whisper the name... Nazdug...

I logged in to SoM today and SoMGAFer Char Aznable avenged my death at the hands of Nazdug FIVE times.

So I suppose that would be preferable to having him appear behind me every time the wind blows...

So with regard to killing named-orcs: Unless you decapitate them, they'll come back, so is there a way to consistently decapitate them?

Most of the time, Talion just skewers the downed orc.

This thread hyped me up too much, currently downloading on PSN.

Quick question though. It says the download is 4198 mb? Is that just how much it needs to dl before I can play the game? 15mbps connection so I'm getting around 2 megabytes a second done.

Grief.exe

So with regard to killing named-orcs: Unless you decapitate them, they'll come back, so is there a way to consistently decapitate them?

Most of the time, Talion just skewers the downed orc.

They have a chance to come back unless you decapitate them.

Subjective, but I think that is an amazing mechanic, even the best of players get to take part in the nemesis system.

This thread hyped me up too much, currently downloading on PSN.

Quick question though. It says the download is 4198 mb? Is that just how much it needs to dl before I can play the game? 15mbps connection so I'm getting around 2 megabytes a second done.

I backed up the Steam version today and the backup was 45GB. I'm surprised it's so much smaller on the PS4 actually.

Top Bottom