• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor |OT| One Title to rule them all

I'm having way too much fun with this game. Just unlocked the second area in the game, and I'm so excited by having all new warchiefs that are all high level that I can antagonize with death threats and bodyguard branding. In the last area, I left so much destruction in my wake that I noticed a few new warchiefs that were level 6 due to blow I dealt their hierarchy. Now I have a new area to explore, a new hierarchy to destabilize and even more abilities to unlock. I'm thinking I'll spring for the season's pass with the amount of fun I'm having with this.

Gaz_RB

Thing is they cant have Celebrimbor be in every game possessing every main character, and in turn being able to control and influence the orc hierarchy (well they could I guess but seems so odd) so I wonder how they can get around it.

They'll have to be creative to pull it off and still stick somewhat close to the lore. I could see them doing something with intimidation rather than branding. (Like what Talion does with Ratbag). They'd have to come up with a substitute for all those sweet wraith powers though.

Maybe the Moria game (I'm talking about this as if it will actually happen haha) can be about leading a squad of unique dwarven soldiers that can die permanently and be replaced. Like you could develop relationships with them as you fight through the Orc hierarchy in Moria. And instead of wraith powers you could send them out to gather intel or intimidate orcs into helping you. And you could have unlockable squad orders and maneuvers.

ironcreed

Banned
This asshole killed me multiple times tonight. I will get my revenge tomorrow. Rest assured.

10641080_772100182853751_646666073271701760_n.jpg

Cheers.

Apathy

Have the main character find one of the dwarf rings?

Not sure how that would help, I am no LOTR lore expert, I just thought the rings corrupted people, the ones for the human kings turned them into Ringwraiths but it did not do that to the dwarf kings, it just made them greedy. I might be wrong.

teokrazia

There's so much wrong with this game that really makes those perfect scores seem bought for sure.

- Forced stealth missions are just terrible design choices. Seriously, I can kill 50 orcs at once in what should be a 'play as you like' open world game yet you want me to sneak around and poison 4 barrels of grog? Laughable. And to make it worse, the whole 'be seen and mission fails' thing doesn't even allow you to kill an enemy who sees you, before he alerts anyone else.

- As ugly as Mordor should be, the game feels like an empty, lifeless shoebox with perfectly placed ledges, crouch height walls, ladders etc. No thought, just throw some of that in a world and call it Mordor.

- The animations really are ripped from Assassin's Creed. No doubt about it. And even though they are silky smooth and look good, it just feels like I'm playing the same series. To make the ripped off argument seem even more plausible, the non character animations (of the trolls and animal things) are really, really bad. (even worse when riding them)

- Terrible collision detection, invisible boxes around small objects. You get stuck on edges of rocks, walls, tents etc.

- The respawning enemies and camps obviously has to happen in a game designed like this (otherwise it would be empty within an hour or two) but it isn't done right. I cleared a stronghold, only to reach a story mission literally 30 seconds later that sends me into the same place and suddenly it's full again.

- On the other hand, strongholds that are filled with up to 100 enemies, suddenly become empty when a 'follow this guy' story mission pops up.

- Weird proportions on the character models. Your guy has no neck and his head is too small for his body. Even the orcs look out of whack. I'm not sure how playtesters didn't pick up on this and force the devs to adjust it.

- The enemy vision for stealth elements is MGS1 bad. You can see them 100 metres away, yet they can't see you within 10m. Likewise when you backstab an enemy, his friend right beside him doesn't hear the knife ripping his guts apart or the groans from his suffering buddy.

- While there are some handy options, important one's are missing. You can't turn off the map, you can't turn off the 'A' prompts whenever you land, even turning off the combat and fx prompts still doesn't get rid of the stars above stunned enemies, way too narrow FOV, you can't disable the combo numbers.

There is still a lot of fun to be had (and for $37 on Steam I'm not too unhappy) but with all the flaws, it questions those perfect review scores for sure.

After finishing the game with 50% in 25:34 hours I gave it 9,2.
Now I'm at over 45 hours + 4 hours on PS4, and I want to raise my score while I'm still paid the same shit.

There's so much wrong with this game that really makes those perfect scores seem bought for sure.

- Forced stealth missions are just terrible design choices. Seriously, I can kill 50 orcs at once in what should be a 'play as you like' open world game yet you want me to sneak around and poison 4 barrels of grog? Laughable. And to make it worse, the whole 'be seen and mission fails' thing doesn't even allow you to kill an enemy who sees you, before he alerts anyone else.

- As ugly as Mordor should be, the game feels like an empty, lifeless shoebox with perfectly placed ledges, crouch height walls, ladders etc. No thought, just throw some of that in a world and call it Mordor.

- The animations really are ripped from Assassin's Creed. No doubt about it. And even though they are silky smooth and look good, it just feels like I'm playing the same series. To make the ripped off argument seem even more plausible, the non character animations (of the trolls and animal things) are really, really bad. (even worse when riding them)

- Terrible collision detection, invisible boxes around small objects. You get stuck on edges of rocks, walls, tents etc.

- The respawning enemies and camps obviously has to happen in a game designed like this (otherwise it would be empty within an hour or two) but it isn't done right. I cleared a stronghold, only to reach a story mission literally 30 seconds later that sends me into the same place and suddenly it's full again.

- On the other hand, strongholds that are filled with up to 100 enemies, suddenly become empty when a 'follow this guy' story mission pops up.

- Weird proportions on the character models. Your guy has no neck and his head is too small for his body. Even the orcs look out of whack. I'm not sure how playtesters didn't pick up on this and force the devs to adjust it.

- The enemy vision for stealth elements is MGS1 bad. You can see them 100 metres away, yet they can't see you within 10m. Likewise when you backstab an enemy, his friend right beside him doesn't hear the knife ripping his guts apart or the groans from his suffering buddy.

- While there are some handy options, important one's are missing. You can't turn off the map, you can't turn off the 'A' prompts whenever you land, even turning off the combat and fx prompts still doesn't get rid of the stars above stunned enemies, way too narrow FOV, you can't disable the combo numbers.

There is still a lot of fun to be had (and for $37 on Steam I'm not too unhappy) but with all the flaws, it questions those perfect review scores for sure.

Agree with most of your points, this game is a real mess in some aspects, although it's starting to grow on me now (7 hours in). I think low expectations were a pretty big factor in some of the review scores.

I also feel like shadow of mordor is a lot more honest with itself than some recent triple a titles, you're going to spend your time running around stabbing orcs, it doesnt really pretend to be much more than that. The story is shit but not overly forced, the stealth is awkward but you can ignore that system most of the time. The only gameplay system with any originality is the nemesis stuff, which is excellently implemented and spices up an otherwise mediocore and somewhat shallow gameplay experience.

Fine to criticize the game, but why do you have to say the bullshit that you did in the first sentence. Just cause you don't like some things about the game means the reviews were bought? That's a weird way of thinking

I'm so impressed by both the uniquness and personality each orc has. I feel like I know so many of them personally. Some of them are real dicks, and I can't abide their continued existence.

But the opposite is also super fun. I assume I killed some lame uruk who got promoted to captain. Idiot wandered in to the fight when I was taking out a captain who mattered, and didn't last a second.

At least, this is my supposition, because a little while later, some weird uruk rushes up to me with a plate in his head, and yells, "REMEMBER ME, TARK? YOU THOUGHT I WAS DEAD, BUT NOW I'M HERE TO CUT YOUR EYES OUT AND FEED THEM TO THE CARAGORS!" or something.

I'm like, "For you, the day Talion of Gondor graced your stronghold was the most important moment of your life. For me, it was Tuesday."

Then I killed him again.

If he keeps coming back, I'll genuinely feel super-villain levels of mild annoyance! "I don't know why or how you keep clinging to your life, but you are becoming rather tiresome."

Thanks for this. Gave me a good laugh. Lol

Apathy

Watching the credits roll now, I gotta say,
The last battle in the tower was shit and so was the battle at the wall (easy and just no challenge). Also the ending, I was hoping for a more definite end, and seeing Talion have some sort of rest and rest his soul.
Aside form that, i like the game, like the nemesis mechanic, would have like a larger world to explore (on the map it looks big but it's not really). Still I would give it a solid 8.9

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
I love this game, GAF. I love it so much.

It refines Batman's combat and Assassins Creed's platforming while adding the revolutionary Nemesis system.

I know nothing about Lord of the Rings but this game is doing a great job of informing me about the lore so far.

It is a spectacle to behold and everyone will have their own unique experience and special stories to tell. Hats off to Monolith.

I want to use the Dark Ranger skin so bad since I love the hood, the cape, etc. Talion looks like a real badass cutting down orcs in it but seeing him switch to his original outfit in a cutscene is jarring for me.

Just one of my pet peeves.

I want to use the Dark Ranger skin so bad since I love the hood, the cape, etc. Talion looks like a real badass cutting down orcs in it but seeing him switch to his original outfit in a cutscene is jarring for me.

Just one of my pet peeves.

Yup - right there with ya. Was pretty disappointed to find out it changes to the original outfit during the cinematics. =/

I've been having fun going around killing uruks without even touching the story too much, but this game desperately needs difficulty options. It would really elevate the game for me.

I'm playing without prompts or FX but its still far too easy. I think the problem is that you can counter at any point, even mid-execution animation. That makes it so incredibly hard to get hit in the game because you're never in a situation that you can't simply counter out of (or roll out of). I've had multiple situations fighting 2-3 captains and 20 some uruks and its pretty easy to slaughter through them.

Gaz_RB

I've been having fun going around killing uruks without even touching the story too much, but this game desperately needs difficulty options. It would really elevate the game for me.

I'm playing without prompts or FX but its still far too easy. I think the problem is that you can counter at any point, even mid-execution animation. That makes it so incredibly hard to get hit in the game because you're never in a situation that you can't simply counter out of (or roll out of). I've had multiple situations fighting 2-3 captains and 20 some uruks and its pretty easy to slaughter through them.

Yeah I wish it was more difficult. I have runes that give me 2 elf shots for every execution, i get two executions for every 5 hits, and I regain health on execution haha. Not to mention I have a rune that adds time to the special move that gives you infinite executions. I am a God. I'm just toying with the captains at this point, setting up the hierarchy so that my favorite orcs are in power and the boring ones are killed. I don't even kill captains anymore, I just let them retreat.

Jag

I like the easier counters. Mostly because I suck at twitch games. The combat is similar enough to Batman but it just flows so much better. This is a clear GOTY for me. Tremendous kudos to Monolith for introducing something new and fun to gaming with Nemesis.

Levyne

Banned
Wow, I initially released a not-warg because this Warchief was feared by them (seriously, Fearing an enemy is WAY more useful than I anticipated) and apparantly his bodyguard fears them too! The amputator lost his leg, lol

1024x639.resizedimage

Apathy

I like the easier counters. Mostly because I suck at twitch games. The combat is similar enough to Batman but it just flows so much better. This is a clear GOTY for me. Tremendous kudos to Monolith for introducing something new and fun to gaming with Nemesis.

With this as their basis, I hope they get a chance to refine it and add more of everything. More places, more intricacies to the nemesis system, more gore (OMG I need have more dismemberment and be able to hack off individual limbs).

Also, since they are owned by WB, wonder how much they get to share with Rocksteady (obviously the fighting system borrows heavily from the Arkham games, but wonder if Rocksteady is including something like the nemesis system in the new Batman game or if there is not enough time now).

This is definitely a triumph for Monolith. They really threw a wrench into open world games now with the nemesis system. A real refinement to the genre as a whole.

Even as an lotr fanatic I had 0 interest in getting this game whatsoever. My best friend talked me into getting it, so I did and expected the worst going in. I have to admit within the first 10 mins I thought I would hate it based on the made up storyline and again my love for all things Tolkien. About 3 hours in I have to admit I am enjoying some delicious crow, and this game. It's not perfect, but it's tons of fun and an overall great game. I'm only beginning to understand some of the combat moves and the actual nemesis system, not to mention the tons of other things, but who cares I'm having a blast? When I'm deep in an Orc stronghold surrounded by dozens of enemies just chopping off heads, it gets no better than that.

First I had to defeat 35 Uruks to draw him out. Okay, no problem. But now he shows up with two captain bodyguards, then another captain shows up and there are also about 50 other Uruks chasing me all over the place. I mean, God damn.

This is why you brand very single captain.

Does the combat get better?

I havn't really started this game yet and just ran around and tested performance.

But with the combat it seemed like even though I was keeping the combo meter going it wasnt getting easier to take down enemies.

With the Batman games the longer the combo the more powerfull your attacks were right?
Is that the same with this game?

Levyne

Banned

I havn't really started this game yet and just ran around and tested performance.

But with the combat it seemed like even though I was keeping the combo meter going it wasnt getting easier to take down enemies.

With the Batman games the longer the combo the more powerfull your attacks were right?

Eventually you can earn runes that up your damage with a longer streak.

I've just randomly woke up at 4 in the morning and contemplating getting up now and just playing it till I have to go work. I'm sure being tired at work on a Friday is OK, I'll get away with it I think :p

maneil99

I have this stupid nemisis that is invulnerable to everything but bows and it takes like 8 shots to get him into the green. Worst part is he's the body guard to the warchief who keeps killing all the Wargs I release

Joco

Once you get at least an 8x combo going you can perform an execution move (triangle + circle on the PS4, not sure of other platforms) that will kill your targeted enemy (the one you're attacking), provided it isn't a captain or a warchief. Highly recommend doing this to reduce the number of enemies in a fight.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
I agree with most of Conkerkid's rebuttals, but you really can kill 50 orcs at once.
I had to kill a chief who was only vulnerable to combat finishers and I just pulled the whole camp, went to the edge of the pack and spammed daggers to stun the pack and build combo and rushed in every time my combo tone went off.
When he was mostly dead I killed almost every orc in the camp with a campfire explosion.

Finally got branding. And I had to learn the pain of losing a beautiful orc first hand.

I got one of those "the rhymer" the second i got to the second area. And when I went to meet him sure thing he taunted me with a rhyme. It was love at first sight. I helped that motherfucker out with every mission. Then when he was a higher power level than the warchief I made him go usurp his position.

The warchief himself was a pansy. I was giving my guy the back-up as he rhymed himself to a near victory. Then the unthinkable happened. Out of nowhere, one slash kill... my dear friend died. The bodyguard of the Warchief managed to one-shot my friend. And my jaw literally dropped as theoretical tears started to pour out of me. I didn't take into account that the bodyguard would be much of a challenge.

As I saw my friend's limp body fall to the ground, I notice that the warchief and the bodyguard gained a level. They laughed at the face of my poor Brobiwan Kebrobi.

With a scream of anguish I made Talion take out his sword and I rushed at the enemy. Commanding the few orcs still at my side we initiate what can only be called an emotional battle. As I slashed my sword and jumped over the warchief, his taunts and calls for help were but muffled noise to me. I eventually had him on his knees and he stared at me with pleading eyes. Not having the energy to try and take his throne again, I branded him for he did have some use (a lot of strengths versus the insta grab weakness).

Then the bodyguard came. He was immune to regular combat, combat finishers, range attacks. The works. Knowing I didn't have a chance as is, I ran away, vowing vengeance.

An hour later as I'm searching for new orcs to keep the pain away I come across a "the friendly" captain. I initiate battle with him and he tells me

"I do not wish to fight, sheathe your sword and I will be merciful" or something along those lines. It was orc love at first sight. I defeated him. Then the next couple of hours were spent making him challenge other captains until he was strong enough. Then onward to the bodyguard who killed my rhymer. As my friend battled him the memory of the limp body flashed through my eyes and I knew I had to prevent another similar event. So I snuck up behind the fucker and insta-killed him with stealth. A few fights later and my new friend was a warchief

What a glorious game.

I'm finding it extremely dumb how easy it is to accidentally kill an enemy you're trying to brand.

This captain's surrounded by enemies, so I'm killing all the enemies, and every time I get him green and grab him, an enemy shows up and hits me. So I go back, kill them all, he's all angry at defeat, so he regenerates health incredibly fast, so I kill all the enemies, attack him, he's green again, more enemies stop me, I kill them all, he's no longer green, and is low health, standard attack him, he's not turning green, standard attack turns into insta-kill. Now I have to find another captain.

Edit: Progress so far...

Arrrammis

Currently, Combat for me is pretty awesome. my runes double sword damage when I'm below 25% health, 25% more damage after 15 hit streak, and 15% protection from ranged attacks. Add on to that the skills for reduced hit streak (only need 5 instead of 8 for executions!) and AoE wraith stun, and I look forward to straight up fights

However, I still spend most of my time stabbing orcs through the head from behind and tossing archers off of their posts. Then letting all of the caragors out of their cages and sitting on top of a wall to watch.

Nice impressions gaf...

Looks like this and DC are my October games. Something to get me away from touturing myself in Destiny finally.

Rokam

Had 5 Captains show up while I was doing a Vendetta mission, thank god for Shadow of Acharn, none were immune to stealth.

Laekon

Anyone have the issue of getting stuck on ledges while in combat? I'll be fighting a group and go to jump up to a roof or ledge only to get stuck hanging. I can't go up or down till my health gets so low it makes me fall off.

Naminator

Banned
The grass areas in this game are gorgeous,I feel like I'm in the movies in those areas. Makes me so excited for a sequel in other parts of Middle-Earth.

Yeah one of the things that is great about this game is that I see very little texture pop-ins even though there is a lot of foliage in the game.

Top Bottom