• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor |OT| One Title to rule them all

SJRB

Gold Member
After playing both the PC and PS4 versions, I'm fairly certain the game swarms you with captains right away to get the Nemesis system rolling. On my PS4 playthrough today I found myself facing 7 captains at once shortly after being dropped into the world.
I ran

Also, the game desperately needs a stealth toggle.

It needs a toggle and it needs a "press X once to run and just keep on trucking until you release the analog stick".

owlbeak

This game is just too good. The nemesis system is amazing. Been enjoying the hell outta this game since Tuesday. Haven't gotten to the second map yet, but can't wait. :D

Just completed the game and collected/did just about everything. It's rare that I feel compelled to do that in open world games these days, but I really enjoyed the journey so I wanted to get as much out of it as I can.

My only gripe... (End game spoilers)
What the hell were they thinking making the Black Hand final battle a full on QTE? Serious what the fuck? A really easy one at that... geez.

Woop, the wife just text me to say there is a package from Amazon for me at home. Will try to squeeze in an hour before I have to go to bed before another 12 hour shift tomorrow. Got 5 days off to play it from Monday though.

It needs a toggle and it needs a "press X once to run and just keep on trucking until you release the analog stick".

Agreed. The traversal in general could do with an overhaul imo. Moving side to side while hanging on a ledge is painfully slow, it should be much swifter. I'm hoping the sequel will add diagonal climbing as well, because the current up, down, left, right feels limiting and clunky. Plus there are many obstacles that aren't climbable that should be; Those sloped rock chutes, for example, near the starting area.

I love the game, I just have many small criticisms about it.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
So far the best part of Shadow of Mordor for me was finally slaying this bow and arrow bastard that laid the final blow on me three times as bodyguard for another Warchief. He was soon promoted to a Warchief (power 20) himself, and I spent two hours just doing side quests to upgrade my character/weapons enough to where I could completely slaughter him the next time we met. He was all talking shit when we crossed paths "oh you again, slaying grave walkers is becoming as common as eating breakfast in the morning" but the scrawny scrub changed his tune when he retreated halfway through the battle. I was able to track him down and finished him off with an extremely satisfying decapitation.

Really enjoying this game so far, but two things I can't stand:

1. Ghuls. Who thought an enemy like this was fun or interesting? In a game with fairly precise combat, enemies who just swarm you and leave no strategy other than button mashing and occasionally unleashing an aoe is just a terrible idea. Add in a Ghul Matron and now you're surrounded by fodder spam while trying to do combat with an enemy that requires precision. Just dumb, not fun.

2. Poison. There seems to be no reasonable way to avoid being poisoned, and I have no idea what to do once I am poisoned. There's nothing fun or interesting about being poisoned in this game, dump that crap.

Other than those two things, the game is a ton of fun and I'm frustrated every time I have to stop playing simply because I just want to keep playing. Nemesis system is fantastic, I've got one guy in particular who is on my list right now and I will be doing some significant celebrating when I finally take him out. Jerk is a super fast runner and is immune to ranged attacks, so he keeps escaping me. He'll lose his head soon enough.

Unity2012

Haven't seen a thread on this yet... Someone on Reddit posted this image from Gamespot's Shadows of Mordor comparison video:

http://imgur.com/rGxXkbM

Was there a "stealth parity patch" involved here? I thought it was 900p on Xbox One? Or am I just the last one hearing this news?

Before the game was released, I was pretty upset about how little information we had about the Xbox One version; now I own both the Xbox and PS4 version of the game.

Playing PS4 on a 55"and Xbox1 on 65"; honestly the differences are minimal; except that colors on the Xbox One version are richer than the PS4 version--and the PS4 seems a tad clearer than the other one; however, they both look great and run without a hitch. It is rare when I find myself surrounded by a wave of orcs and experience a slow down on performance--never bad enough to take me off the experience.

Above all, the game is just really good!

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Okay, is this actually happening? Are orcs if fought/killed before actively hunting me/tracking me down?

Last night I was in the middle of fighting a war chief and I saw a Orc approaching from far away, he kept coming and it ended up being a captain had literally just killed, he ruined my fight with the war chief.

Hystzen

Okay, is this actually happening? Are orcs if fought/killed before actively hunting me/tracking me down?

Last night I was in the middle of fighting a war chief and I saw a Orc approaching from far away, he kept coming and it ended up being a captain had literally just killed, he ruined my fight with the war chief.

Yes they do hunt you. My last nemesis the Talker was a crossbow guy who would sneak up and shoot me in back when I was dealing with other captains or groups. Took me out 5 times due to fact he became invincible to sword damage.

My new nemesis is same he was a punk when beat him now he about near war chief power due to fact he can only be hurt by bow or explosions

You gotta make sure their dead with decapitations.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Yes they do hunt you. My last nemesis the Talker was a crossbow guy who would sneak up and shoot me in back when I was dealing with other captains or groups. Took me out 5 times due to fact he became invincible to sword damage.

My new nemesis is same he was a punk when beat him now he about near war chief power due to fact he can only be hurt by bow or explosions

How do you see who your "nemesis" is?

You gotta make sure their dead with decapitations.

Makes sense, he's a guy who could be one shot with a charged arrow and that's how i got him.

JAYSIMPLE

Banned
Before the game was released, I was pretty upset about how little information we had about the Xbox One version; now I own both the Xbox and PS4 version of the game.

Playing PS4 on a 55"and Xbox1 on 65"; honestly the differences are minimal; except that colors on the Xbox One version are richer than the PS4 version--and the PS4 seems a tad clearer than the other one; however, they both look great and run without a hitch. It is rare when I find myself surrounded by a wave of orcs and experience a slow down on performance--never bad enough to take me off the experience.

Excellent news so glad. Thanks

I can't believe I've sunk eleven hours into this game already and I've only completed two story missions. I just can't stop hunting down the uruk captains.

Most memorable nemesis so far was an uruk that had a flaming helmet. When I killed him, he swore he'd come back for me. The very next captain I hunted down, he returned. I had located my next target and was stealth walking across a valley. As I was climbing up the rock wall, I noticed a sentry and waited to stealth kill him. When I went in for the kill, it was this uruk that I had just killed twenty minutes previously. He grabs my hand, throws me off the rock wall with a taunt and proceeds to kill me one-on-one.

His appearance was completely different, he had gone from deep green to a reanimated corpse skin tone, he had those creepy black zombie veins running along his face and what appeared to be cataracts on both eyes. Also, he changed his armor and didn't wear that flaming helmet anymore.

It took three more fights before I finally lobbed his head off and he remained dead. This was made all the more difficult because he had almost all the strengths I've seen thus far and none of the vulnerabilities. Impervious to sword attacks, able to summon followers, unable to be drained...the works. Finally, I figured out the only way I could kill him was to wraith stun him and flurry him several times.

I've set a goal for myself to kill all the uruk captains as soon as I can, but one soldier or a low-level captain gets lucky occasionally and resets my progress. It's always delightful to hear the soldiers and captains describing my exploits to one another.

My preferred method of killing is stealth, so it was delicious to hear one of my recent targets describe to his underling that I like to use stealth and that the underling should always watch his back. One of the captain's vulnerabilities was instant stealth kills, so when he finished that sentence, I immediately dropped down from above and killed him. The look of surprise on the underling's face was priceless.

I believe so. I had a few of the orcs I've killed before sneak up right behind me wanting revenge while I was hiding in the bushes in a random secluded area. Scared the shit out of me.

Patroclos

Banned

You should still be pissed. It's deceptive and we shouldn't stand for it. It's obvious that the so called journalists are not concerned with getting answers on our behalf. Typical interview;

"So called Journalist"; "So what is the res on both console versions?"

Developer; "We are going to proved a great experience on both consoles."

"So called Journalist"; "That is SO awesome. You must have put a lot of work into that! Kudos to you guys."

These "journalists" should be forced to watch classic 60 Minutes episodes with Mike Wallace and Ed Bradley for days on end to see how a real journalist conducts an interview.

As far as your impressions go, seems typical, bumped up contrast and most likely crushed blacks on the One (if you like that look boost contrast for PS4, black quality and range should be much better on PS4.) Also the blurry part leads me to believe 900p.

It makes me so fucking angry that we can't get pertinent info to make purchasing decisions. These fuckers are so shady about it and the journalists just don't give a single fuck.

Woop, the wife just text me to say there is a package from Amazon for me at home. Will try to squeeze in an hour before I have to go to bed before another 12 hour shift tomorrow. Got 5 days off to play it from Monday though.

Don't risk it man... the first day I got it I set it up for 20 minutes to get my PC config right and to check out the world and couldn't stop playing for 4 hours.

Egg0

Banned
I was wondering if anyone has been able to dominate a warchief without killing their non-branded bodyguards. If so, do the bodyguards automatically become branded as well?

You should still be pissed. It's deceptive and we shouldn't stand for it. It's obvious that the so called journalists are not concerned with getting answers on our behalf. Typical interview;

"So called Journalist"; "That is SO awesome. You must have put a lot of work into that! Kudos to you guys."

These "journalists" should be forced to watch classic 60 Minutes episodes with Mike Wallace and Ed Bradley for days on end to see how a real journalist conducts an interview.

As far as your impressions go, seems typical, bumped up contrast and most likely crushed blacks on the One (if you like that look boost contrast for PS4, black quality and range should be much better on PS4.) Also the blurry part leads me to believe 900p.

It makes me so fucking angry that we can't get pertinent info to make purchasing decisions. These fuckers are so shady about it and the journalists just don't give a single fuck.

I would actually prefer if they didn't get into the stupid resolution wars. I would rather them review a game for its merits and its enjoyability as a game rather than the Digital Foundry analysis.

Dipping their toes into the Console Rezolution Warz to allow people to justify their purchase does nothing for a game reviewer. I don't care if it is 900p or 1080p it doesn't alter my enjoyment of the game. Monolith focused on making a really enjoyable game and I applaud them for that. Playing this game on the older consoles is still enjoyable. Isn't that all that matters?Maybe that's just me.

JAYSIMPLE

Banned

I thought sony had a marketing deal on this game? Exclusive dlc. So isn't it down to that? I'm with you tho. It's infuriating. I couldn't give a shit about 900p vs 1080p but when I was hearing 720p I cancelled my order. It should be more transparent

Patroclos

Banned
I would actually prefer if they didn't get into the stupid resolution wars. I would rather them review a game for its merits and its enjoyability as a game rather than the Digital Foundry analysis.

Dipping their toes into the Console Rezolution Warz to allow people to justify their purchase does nothing for a game reviewer. I don't care if it is 900p or 1080p it doesn't alter my enjoyment of the game. Monolith focused on making a really enjoyable game and I applaud them for that. Playing this game on the older consoles is still enjoyable. Isn't that all that matters?Maybe that's just me.

I get it. Console wars are stupid. The only group or organization that benefits from withholding the info is the group with the weaker system. I got screwed by buying Strider on PS4 when the Xbox One version was superior.

This it isn't about justifying a purchase for me. It's about making one. Should Chevy and Ford not give MPG information to prevent debates about what cars perform better? That's silly and anti-consumer, you are trying to make it seem like it's anti-fanboy. I like Monolith and am happy they put out a great game for both consoles, I think they are deceptive and shitty on the res issue, I'm not giving them a pass. They had no problem saying over and over they were "shooting" for 60fps and now? Crickets.... That's fucked up.

I don't think 900p v. 1080p is important for the purchasing decision of 95% of people. I don't think it's worth getting this bent out of shape over it. Calling it some conspiracy on the part of journalists is quite the overreaction.

If it's that big of a deal to you, just wait to purchase it until a reputable source does a legitimate comparison.

Tsukumo

Any trick to find Ghul Matrons ?

look in the caves, you can spot caves by collectible icons outside of the map borders.
Also one of the sword challenges pits you against one
. Most boring enemy in the game.

Edit: today, on Shadow of Mordor.
Kaka the destroyer is hunting me down. I've already slain two captains so that's enough fighting for the moment. Dude talks big so I don't think much of him: next thing you know a graug approaches us, he takes him head on like it's nothing and puts up a good fight. I admire the courage and pin an arrow in his knee: it took three stomps from the graug to die, but Kaka died. It's going to be interesting to see how he will look and what he will say next time I meet him.

Corpekata

Banned

There are orcs with traits that are basically "they will track you down." And will track you across the map. Good strategy is to find an desolate area to ambush them in so they won't have any back up. Of course to know they're even tracking you you'll need intel or to check Wraith vision somewhat often.

If you're about to attempt something hard like a Warchief, would not hurt to find a perch and scan for a bit because hunters are pretty telltale in their movements since they'll beeline to your general area.

I need help. I'm trying to take out some warchiefs, and for the love of God I keep dying. Surrounded by mobs and eventually killed. I tried going for captains, often it's 3 or 4 at once and boom dead.

I am terrible at this game.

How do I get better or make it easier? How do I pass this mission?

Kill their bodyguards before activating their missions and when they show up,separate them from everyone else either by releasing environmental hazards, brutalizations, or waiting.

Also: it's going to take longer, but Brand all his bodyguards (that you help rise yourself).

Then, when he shows up, just activate his guards. You now have five high level killers who are surrounding the Warchief.

And when he dies? One of your guys will take his place.

Jag

I'm not sure how to charge Flame of Azkar. I used it once after I bought it, but I don't know how to charge it so I can use it again.

Edit: I see a blue bar when I go into bow mode. I'm going to guess when that's full, I can use it.

FtHTiny

I'm not sure how to charge Flame of Azkar. I used it once after I bought it, but I don't know how to charge it so I can use it again.

Edit: I see a blue bar when I go into bow mode. I'm going to guess when that's full, I can use it.

You have to use the weapon to kill stuff to fill the bar up. Sword for the sword bar and so on.

Dude, the same almost happened to me, I was fighting one captain after I killed his guard then 3 more showed up, so I ran like a bitch up a tower and one by one I stealth killed the mob and captains until all I had left were the ones who couldn't be stealth killed.

deal-with-it-kick-gif.gif

MAX PAYMENT

Also: it's going to take longer, but Brand all his bodyguards (that you help rise yourself).

Then, when he shows up, just activate his guards. You now have five high level killers who are surrounding the Warchief.

And when he dies? One of your guys will take his place.

How do you brand an Orc to fight for you? Is that something that's possible in the first map area of the game?

man im struggling with these war chiefs, they keep destroying me, any tips???

If any of the are weak to stealth go after them that way. Even if it's that one where you rampage to make him show up, get him out and then disappear amongst the nearby platforms and ledges. Let him walk around until you can stealth kill him from above. I did that for three of my four chiefs and it worked well every time.

Top Bottom