• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor |OT| One Title to rule them all

Torraz

Any chance for anti/less respawning mods for PC down the road? Haven't gotten the game yet, but not sure whether to get it for PC or PS 4 (now or later at bargain prices).

Pastry

Banned
I can answer a couple, though I'm no LOTR scholar.

Celebrimbor is canon to the lore. Not in the movies tho. The black hand has been mentioned, I think, but I'm not sure if it's in the same context. Not really sure what Talion meant. The story takes place after Gollum loses the ring in the Hobbit, and before the LOTR trilogy begins.

Okay thanks, that clears up some of what I wanted to know :)

Really enjoyed the game, and the Nemesis system is fantastic. I hope other games run with the idea and use it in their own unique way. It really made for some fun situations.

BigDug13

How do you keep a guy who is immune to everything except stealth kills from coming back over and over? I've killed this one guy like 4 times and he keeps coming back and it's because I can't do any moves that remove his head. He's immune to combat and immune to ranged. His only vulnerabilities are to fire and stealth. Camp fires only take off 1/3 of his life so I'm stuck using stealth finishers which is easy so it's not a big deal, but he keeps coming back!

How do I make him dead dead? Will it do it after a certain amount of times killing the same guy?

Obrek

Banned
How do you keep a guy who is immune to everything except stealth kills from coming back over and over? I've killed this one guy like 4 times and he keeps coming back and it's because I can't do any moves that remove his head. He's immune to combat and immune to ranged. His only vulnerabilities are to fire and stealth. Camp fires only take off 1/3 of his life so I'm stuck using stealth finishers which is easy so it's not a big deal, but he keeps coming back!

How do I make him dead dead? Will it do it after a certain amount of times killing the same guy?

This is the problem I'm having, and so far all I've heard is that he will come back indefinitely.

BigDug13

This is the problem I'm having, and so far all I've heard is that he will come back indefinitely.

I hope that's something they can patch. It would suck if eventually your army screen is nothing but captains who are immune to moves that behead because of RNG'd captains who can't die getting promoted and taking all the spots.

wow

whats your build look like stat wise?

Sword
20% defense against ranged
28% damage to rear attacks
10% health on every kill
Stun and knockdown last longer
Full health upon hitting 30 hitstreak

Bow
10% health on bow kills
50% bow damage
38% Focus on headshots
38% Focus on Shadow Strike
10% damage to headshot

Dagger
Immune to poison
Frighten two or more Uruks on Brutalize
Full Focus on Captain and Warchief kills
30% damage from stealth
50% speed

I just earned the platinum trophy. Pretty good game overall. Story ending was meh ENDING SPOILERS
I can't believe the reason Sauron gets back the One Ring is because it slipped off Celembrimbor'S finger... really ?
Isn't this in line with the lore? That we know the ring has a will of its own and a constant yearning to be with its owner? Either way, the story was still rather weak.

Wynnebeck

Banned
This game is legit hard. Trying to kill Hura the Torturer with Dugza (who has killed me twice) acting as his bodyguard? Poison Spear and Poison Archer at the same time? Ridiculous. Not to mention that kill 20 Uruks in 2 mins mission is ridiculous as well.

At 87% now, it's really hard to put this one down, even long after the story is over.
It's been a long time since I felt like 100%'ing a game.

Edit: I would actually love more content, but I can't support this day one DLC. That's just unfair business imo.

Night and day cycles with occasional rainstorms, and there are different zones with varied environments.

Awesome -- missions don't mess with night and day, do they? Nothing kills immersion more than that (though doing the "skip time ahead to mission start" is OK).

KingKong

I think I'm doing something wrong because every boss fight I've taken on so far ends up with dozens of enemies (including 4-5 named ones) all fighting me, which leads me to kill as many as I can before my health gets low enough to run off to find a flower to restore it and run back. Thankfully the game doesnt abandon the quest when you get away from the green zone (in fact enemies even follow you, which sets up some ambuishes. I spent ~10 minutes chasing a whole group of them around a rock, hiding in the bush and stabbing them from behind)

Also, is there a way to recover arrows? Do they just recharge?

Gaz_RB

Immune to Poison is probably the highlight of my stats.

Although, I'd gladly swap one of my stealth stats for a Health on Brand Rune.

Yeah that one has been great for me too.

I've got this great Bow rune that gives me one elfshot back for every two that I use for a Shadowstrike kill. My new strategy has involved Shadowstriking everyone to build a streak, doing two executions (I've got a rune that restores two elfshot for every execution), and then going back to Shadowstriking. The Rune system is really cool and leads to some cool builds to try out.

BigDug13

At 87% now, it's really hard to put this one down, even long after the story is over.
It's been a long time since I felt like 100%'ing a game.

Edit: I would actually love more content, but I can't support this day one DLC. That's just unfair business imo.

What day one DLC? Only thing I saw in the store was the season pass.

What day one DLC? Only thing I saw in the store was the season pass.

Well that's what I meant, they're asking to pay 25€ for something we barely know anything about. And from the description it doesn't seem like it will be worth half of the base game value. We'll see in a few months I guess.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
I think what I like the most about this game is how fairly it treats both the protagonist and the antagonists in regards to gameplay systems. You become pretty godlike over the course of the game, from gaining new abilities, leveling up attributes, and earning runes that give you some pretty useful bonuses. To balance this, the enemies also level up, and gain new strengths and weaknesses that force you to adapt to this fluctuating set of parameters, and it keeps the game from being as repetitive as other games in the genre.

Not to mention that the nemesis system brings so much character to the normally faceless hordes of enemies you battle in these types of games. In other games, when you are killed by a goon, you respawn and try again, then beat the area and progress.

In this game, that nameless goon who takes out Middle Earth Batman gets some much deserved street cred and bragging rights. And that pisses you off! Death isn't a state that resets you to the last checkpoint in this game.

The world is moving forward constantly, and that not so nameless goon is promoted, and will dog you until you are finally able to put him down for good. It's brilliant, and I want more games, especially RPGs, east and west, to look into adapting similar systems in their games that give real meaning behind death, and the enemies you encounter. I mean, if you're going to grind out enemies for upgrades and xp, why not have a history between you that gives you a better bang for your buck when you defeat him beyond just, "I just gained some xp and a runes!"

Awesome -- missions don't mess with night and day, do they? Nothing kills immersion more than that (though doing the "skip time ahead to mission start" is OK).

No, I've done missions where I start it at day and then I fail a few times and restart the mission over and over, and over the course of restarting it over and over it gets darker and darker until it's actually night.

This game is so good at trolling you. I didn't die once when I was in the first area and I barely upgraded Talion at all so I was rather confident in my skills.

Then I have to kill this warchief, the hint is to kill the bodyguards (4 of them) first but I said fuck it, used all the points to upgrade Talion as much as possible.

Thinking myself to be unstoppable, I marched into the stronghold, wreaked havok and got the warchief summoned. The crowd chanted his name, his 4 bodyguards marched with him like a band of demons from hell. I thought to myself "bring it on".

Lo and behold, they did bring it on, they hit me over and over, bounced me like a fucking volleyball. I used all tricks possible, detonated barrels, released caragors. Some of them are strengthened by the fire, some by the beasts. Basically all I unleashed upon them were useless.

Man, never before did I run like I did that day.

But then, I spot a Graug, mounted the motherfucker and rode him back into the fray.

One captain was eaten on the spot, the others were flung away like a piece of dung.

I then descended the monster like a badass that I am, branding orcs left and right. Basically turnt the table completely. Now the head of the legendary warchief is forever mounted on a spear.

Good stuff.

Grabbed this today and haven't had much time to spend with it, however the time I've had has revealed some very interesting ideas. I didn't really know what was happening as I was thrown head first into the world and to be honest, I was a little detached during the intro due to outside influence and reaching the main overworld had initially raised some small concerns as things appeared bland.

Then I took a leap down a rock and got attacked. I had no idea what fighting off this simple enemy group would evolve into. I had what appeared to be a higher ranking enemy roll up as it entered a brief scene with him threatening me, so I figured I'll use him to get to grips with the fighting. Then another turned up, and another, they just seemed to be coming from everywhere! Before I knew it I had half an army that had homed in on me and I was handed my ass on a plate in my first encounter. Then I got to see the nemesis system at work.

I know most people in here probably already have had even more interesting encounters themselves, but I just wanted to share what a manic way to begin this was to me. I'm instantly very intrigued and can't wait to see more of what the game has to offer.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I wish there was a downside to branding. I mean, it's cool, but from a mechanical perspective there's no reason to ever kill anyone once you unlock brand.

Zetta

I had the same thing happen to me. I think its this games way of telling you to get ready for everything lol. I had two chiefs who would always turn up together and always when I was fighting another one. One loved it when I was weak and the other just because of how much he loved me. I love this system so much that I've done about two story missions and I'm almost capped on abilities.

I'll say it again guys- turn off the button prompts for combat.

Game is still totally doable, just more immersive and a little bit more challenging.

Less HUD = Good.

brerwolfe

I'm enjoying the game, but I think it's silly that the little cinema scenes don't show my character wearing the dark ranger outfit.

I've exhausted all the side quest missions to this point and now have to go kill my first war chief... not excited.

I guess you chose a fit orc, the first captain i branded literally died one minute after and right in front of me

Oh yeah? I branded a Captain and then Talion threw him off a cliff immediately afterwards, complete with a slow-mo "_____ has died" cinematic snapshot.

Uruks are fragile creatures. It's nice that Sauron made a sanctuary just for them, because otherwise I don't see how they'd survive in Arda.

eshwaaz

Absolutely loving the game, but I wish it were a bit more refined.

I regularly get stuck on objects at the worst times, and button presses don't always seem to respond.

I ran into a very frustrating a.i. bug where a warchief got stuck at the top of a difficult-to-access watch tower. It's a tiny space, and it made fighting him incredibly difficult, especially while being swarmed by minions (he was immune to ranged attacks). I kept having to retreat and circle back around, which let him replenish his health. As if that weren't bad enough, a captain also showed up and got stuck in that tiny space with him. I managed to get him down to a "flee" state, but the a.i. couldn't figure out how to get out.

I eventually took them both out, but that single battle probably took me over 45 minutes. I know I could have just left the area and tried again later, but I was determined to win.

I started this game last night, and am at 11%. I've mainly focused on side missions and finding relics, plus killing captains.

I like it, but in a weird way, I'm unsure of how much. Its design and lack of general linearity are overwhelming at times, and the missions haven't really been anything fantastic as of yet. Just kill this guy, follow this trail, etc.

That said, the combat is fun. It's just frustrating when you get swarmed by 50-100 uruks and two captains.

It's pretty fun, but a tough game to score. I plan to finish it before assigning it one, though.

Oh yeah? I branded a Captain and then Talion threw him off a cliff immediately afterwards, complete with a slow-mo "_____ has died" cinematic snapshot.

Uruks are fragile creatures. It's nice that Sauron made a sanctuary just for them, because otherwise I don't see how they'd survive in Arda.

my poor pug the something didn't even get a cinematic

;_;7

If you aren't gaining anything in game for doing it, I see no reason to bother with turning that stuff off.

It increases the chances of being hit which increases the chances of you dying. Makes more sense with the Nemesis system. Coasting through this game relying on counter icons wouldn't be nearly as fun.

Top Bottom