• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor |OT| One Title to rule them all

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Bout 3 hours in and loving it, quick question for those that have finished it: Do I have to go to Shelobs Lair or deal with giant spiders in any way?

Would really appreciate a heads up on this

I really hate the shield orcs it seems like dodging doesnt want to work half the time on them. Also fuck berserkers.

Berserkers are really tough because it's difficult to eyeball them out from a crowd. If you could actually notice them, it would be vastly easier to handle them properly.

The Batman: Arkham games made those enemies stand out via the glowing, electrified tasers they held, making them a very distinctive and visible threat, even when there's a crowd of similar-faced thugs. I wish SoM had the same level of dedication to its design.

Bout 3 houts in and loving it, quick question for those that have finished it: Do I have to go to Shelobs Lair or deal with giant spiders in any way?

Would really appreciate a heads up on this

There are spiders, but they will never attack you.

Ooccoo

Haven't played yet, but how respawning not kill the point of the Nemesis system? It's all about the domino effect, but if they keep coming back it sucks.

Skyzard

Banned
I'm going to test out streaming this game in a bit in preparation for Alien Isolation, so I can actually get through that game...and then Evil Within.

Give me a few minutes to try and set it up.

Haven't played yet, but how respawning not kill the point of the Nemesis system? It's all about the domino effect, but if they keep coming back it sucks.

They come back with scars, bandages, or burns, not to mention a vengeful demeanour. It's great, and really helps to make the nemeses memorable.

I'd say it was a very sensible design decision, even if it is a little gamey. (Which is perfectly fine in a video game.)

eshwaaz

Berserkers are really tough because it's difficult to eyeball them out from a crowd. If you could actually notice them, it would be vastly easier to handle them properly.

The Batman: Arkham games made those enemies stand out via the glowing, electrified tasers they held, making them a very distinctive and visible threat, even when there's a crowd of similar-faced thugs. I wish SoM had the same level of dedication to its design.
Great point. Berserkers are needlessly frustrating for those exact reasons.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death

There are spiders, but they will never attack you.

So it's just them little ones that are crawling around on the ground? They are unpleasant but I can just about deal with them

@Markitron: Yup. You got it.

I totally thought there would be a Shelob or Shelob spawn boss, too... sorta let down, to be honest.

Great point. Berserkers are needlessly frustrating for those exact reasons.

The most shocking thing about Batman: Arkham Asylum is that it not only established this entire FreeFlow fighting system, but it absolutely nailed how to pull it off on their first attempt. It's part of why, as good as SoM is, I can't really call the combat better than the Batman Arkham games. Rocksteady pioneered that system, and they intimately understand how to use it.

That said, I expect a tremendous leap in quality from SoM1 to SoM2. Provided they use the same sort of framework.

cackhyena

It increases the chances of being hit which increases the chances of you dying. Makes more sense with the Nemesis system. Coasting through this game relying on counter icons wouldn't be nearly as fun.
I wouldn't say I'm coasting, though. The game amps up difficulty enough at points. I'm good.

So, I am trying to go for a level 25 rune. I understand that you have to get a captain to level 20, then make him a warchief. I have one at level 20, wasnt even trying for it, he is just level 20 for some reason. I am still not really knowledgeable on the nemesis system. How do I make him a warchief?

I know when he becomes a warchief, I go to his stronghold like any other warchief and fight him; but I HAVE to exploit his weakness, fear, and I am not sure what else. How exactly do I go about doing this...and how do I do a fear of ghuls?

Markitron

@Markitron: Yup. You got it.

I totally thought there would be a Shelob or Shelob spawn boss, too... sorta let down, to be honest.

I can understand why ye would be let down honestly (Shelobs Lair is the highlight of the series imo), but this little bit of info has made my day. I can now relax whilst playing the game and just enjoy it. The second I saw 'kill 3 spiders' on the map screen I wanted to stop playing.

I can understand why ye would be let down honestly (Shelobs Lair is the highlight of the series imo), but this little bit of info has made my day. I can now relax whilst playing the game and just enjoy it. The second I saw 'kill 3 spiders' on the map screen I wanted to stop playing.

Lol, I can empathise with you. I felt a little tense when I suspected I'd be brutally murdering/getting murdered by a Shel0b-class spider.

Yeah at the 5th mission and the 10th mission.

Welp. Sorry, y'all... I gotta go. 'Cuz... I have something I need to do.

FinalEdit
Played this for a while today, but it isn't very fun so far. It just feels like this barren landscape with endless brawls. It feels like a beat 'em up game. With all the praise, I'm gonna give it more time to see if it gets better, but going by the first hour or two, I wish I kept my $37.

Playing through some of the story missions will unlock more varied enemies and abilities, which really opens up the full breadth of the game.

Plus it gives you time to acquire a personal nemesis. (Hooray!)

Dezzy

Played this for a while today, but it isn't very fun so far. It just feels like this barren landscape with endless brawls. It feels like a beat 'em up game. With all the praise, I'm gonna give it more time to see if it gets better, but going by the first hour or two, I wish I kept my $37.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
You don't get runes though, at least from captains/ warchiefs.
Ah, right. I completely disengaged from the rune system by the time I hit the second map. Too many options with largely small upgrades pushed me away.

axb2013

I started paying attention to SoM as soon as I heard that Monolith is studio making it. I loved FEAR, still play it every once in a while. Despite some of the talent leaving the studio and forming Blackpowder Games, (Betrayer) there is still some of the FEAR "flavor" recognizable in SoM.

I'll start with the visuals. Last game I played was The Vanishing of Ethan Carter so the bar was set very high and Shadows of Mordor doesn't quite get there. Image quality outdoors is ~on par with Crysis, however the polygon count is superior, in game characters are miles ahead but where Crysis struggled with indoors environments, Shadows of Mordor sidestepped interiors.

The sound and music were very good, worthy of the LOTR franchise. The name chanting of higher ranked enemies as they arrived to fights was a nice touch.

One does not simply walk into Mordor. First, one borrows combat style from Batman and elements from Far Cry 3 and Assassin's Creed. Hilarious that flawed parts of these elements weren't left out like leaving the cramped mission area, follow missions and stealth mission instant fails. While they could have made some icons look more different than Ubisoft's property, at least there weren't any eavesdrop missions so far.

I'm a huge FEAR fan, the game had outstanding AI that most titles today still fall behind. Enemies tried to surprise you, they knocked down tables and vending machines to take cover, they ran away if you killed the rest of their squad, etc, etc. While it's clear that part of the AI team left Monolith (AI path finding is bad and attack coordination is non existent, think riding a fully occupied elevator), they still have nice touches here and there. For example, if you battle a enemy with a rank that you fought against earlier, he may have bandages now and he'll "remember" the fight and mention a specific detail. The enemies tend to have conversations about you and I am under the impression the more you level up, the less do they dismiss the threat you pose to them. Another mechanic that is controversial is the enemy leveling system if you fail to beat them, they level up, becoming even harder to kill. Later in the game you gain ability to issue death threats to them. If you do, they hire bodyguards.

While all these things alone do not do much, combined they help immersion and makes fighting enemes more personal and the victories more enjoyable. The conflict within enemies ranks was also a nice touch and while the enemy ranking system was OK, it's refreshing to see a new approach.

Overall, I like Shadow of Mordor. To the point that I am savoring the game, playing in shorter session rather than "sprint" through it big strides just to finish it. Executing grounded enemies was a little clumsy and as other mentioned, I also had the problems of mistaking Berserkers for "regular" enemies. I've leaned against walls instead of simply walking by them but the game more than makes up for it's flaws.

How do you view my progress and completion percentage in game? Is it only when the game starts up bc I couldn't find it in any menus mid game.

Is there a way to use the fear of Ghuls without there just being random ghuls walking around. I am trying to use this fear against a warchief, have no idea how to do it

Corpekata

Banned
Gotta say this is probably the first game of the new gen that makes me appreciate things like how easy it is to share video clips now. Never really cared for most of the previous examples (no, I don't want to see your photo mode screenshots) but the amusing and varied results of the nemesis system are actually pretty great and I find myself actually watching them.

Corpekata

Banned
Is there a way to use the fear of Ghuls without there just being random ghuls walking around. I am trying to use this fear against a warchief, have no idea how to do it

Pretty much all of the caves have them, would need to lure him to one probably. Not really as practical as the other fears in general though.

I'll start with the visuals. Last game I played was The Vanishing of Ethan Carter so the bar was set very high and Shadows of Mordor doesn't quite get there. Image quality outdoors is ~on par with Crysis, however the polygon count is superior, in game characters are miles ahead but where Crysis struggled with indoors environments, Shadows of Mordor sidestepped interiors.

C'mon braj:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UMHgBplll8Q

Crysis looks considerably better than this game. I actually think the visuals on PC are one of the main things I'm not impressed with. Very bland terrain, some textures are really awful even on high, and overall I don't really understand why the game is so taxing.

Having said that, I'm enjoying it, but I'm about 4 hours in and finding is fairly repetitive.

Also if you are going to completely copy AC I'm going to compare the game to it, and for me it doesn't do anything it "borrows" from AC quite as well as AC does.

This game is a huge copy/paste from AC and Arkham, with a pretty cool Nemesis system that really carries the game. Without it, the game would be pretty meh IMO. I am enjoying it though and will definitely finish it.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
I have all but 2 captains branded now. I guess I should go after the second group of chiefs.

Quick question. I've been having a nemesis that I keep killing coming back from the dead. How does one kill a captain properly the first go around?

Perform an execution move. You want their head to come off.

Zeth

Anyone playing with keyboard and mouse? I want to because otherwise my aim sucks, but the controls seem a bit overwhelming.

Did we ever find out what that stealth patch fixed? Because I just realised that Mordor progresses even while I'm playing now (like, Captains revive, promote, and get replaced, or begin events) instead of doing so solely after my death.

If that's the case, I feel like I played on Easy Mode before. I've completed the story missions now and, unfortunately, it would feel like a step back to restart at this point.

I hate to be the one guy that's frustrated with the game (I really do, this never happens, I usually love everything), but this game is a chore. Losing 30 mins of progress because a several captains show up out of nowhere just makes me want to turn the game off. The combat is a chore. It takes way too long to kill enemies. I don't need it to be like Dynasty Warriors but come on, at least let the normal grunts die in a few hits. When there's a huge crowd around you it's just not viable to do executions, even with the faster execution rune, because you'll get hit out of the animation. I've put probably like 6 hours into it so obviously I've enjoyed it some but I find the game more frustrating than it is fun. Assassin's Creed games are better than this... they at least give you some breaks in the action and the combat is smoother. The Nemesis system is innovative and hopefully AC copies it but this cool system doesn't make up for the chore that the game is to play. I dunno what else to add. I just turned it off in disgust after losing like 30+ minutes in a main mission after 5 captains showed up and I died because it takes fucking hours to kill dudes. Also, the world is boring and lifeless. Compare it to AC and how populated and vibrant the world feels. AC is also a 1000 man project so it's not really fair to compare I guess.

Jolkien

Did we ever find out what that stealth patch fixed? Because I just realised that Mordor progresses even while I'm playing now (like, Captains revive, promote, and get replaced, or begin events) instead of doing so solely after my death.

If that's the case, I feel like I played on Easy Mode before. I've completed the story missions now and, unfortunately, it would feel like a step back to restart at this point.

If you advance time it'll also progress like when you died. Not sure if there was a patch but 6 hours ago I stopped playing after I platinumed the game and nothing was advancing unless I died or advanced time, or changed map (that count just like advance time)

Tadpole

Does this have enough staying power to warrant a download? Or should I go physical to sell it towards something else down the line?

Does this have enough staying power to warrant a download? Or should I go physical to sell it towards something else down the line?
If I had an option to resell this in a week or whatever, I would (PC version). I guess I'm in the minority tho, judging by the other replies. My suggestion is go physical.

Arrrammis

Perform an execution move. You want their head to come off.

Even then, I thin they can still come back (some beheaded captains have come back somehow). The only way to tell if they are gone for good is if their head is on a pike on the army screen.

Beefy

So the orcs laid on the floor in the army screen will come back? I have like 5 of them just laying their and no one has taken their place.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
Alright, I just got home with my PS4 copy and am ready to get stuck in. This better be as good as everyone's making it out to be.

mid83

I've been completely out of the loop regarding gaming since Destiny came out as work has been crazy. I come back and see a ton of praise for this game. I think I'll head over to Target in the morning and grab a copy. Looks like a ton of fun.

Curious for those that beat the game, about how many hours did it take?

axb2013

Even then, I thin they can still come back (some beheaded captains have come back somehow). The only way to tell if they are gone for good is if their head is on a pike on the army screen.

You have to kill them with a finishing attack to permanently kill them. If they die to a "regular" slash or stab, they come back.

So I spent all day today getting five bodyguards plus my Warchief to 20.

I detonated them all and was blessed with three 22 Runes, one 24 (so close...), and one 21.

But this is a hollow victory.

Why?

Now I'm at 0/5 Warchiefs Branded for the main mission.

I'm a monster.

BigDug13

You have to kill them with a finishing attack to permanently kill them. If they die to a "regular" slash or stab, they come back.

So bosses that are immune to everything except stealth kills will forever come back and it sucks. We need some way to decapitate from stealth.

reckless

I've been completely out of the loop regarding gaming since Destiny came out as work has been crazy. I come back and see a ton of praise for this game. I think I'll head over to Target in the morning and grab a copy. Looks like a ton of fun.

Curious for those that beat the game, about how many hours did it take?

Like 11-12, and i messed around with the captains and stuff for a pretty good amount of time. Didn't really do side missions or collectibles too much though.

Top Bottom