• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor |OT| One Title to rule them all

SJRB

Gold Member
Just started playing this tonight, and oh man, I thought I was pretty good at the Arkham games, but the sheer amount of enemies on-screen at once are kicking my ass.

May need to try a bit more stealth haha.

When a target is surrounded by a huge group I always thin out the heard by picking off as many as I can with arrows before going in for the fight.

murgo

So the Wraith dude, is that Hugo Weaving's character from the movies? Who is he in the grand scheme of things?

(Not a LOTR fan)

No, the Wraith is Celebrimbor who forged the rings a couple of thousand years before the story from LOTR even happened. He's also not being mentioned in the movies or books except in the Silmarillion. Hugo Weaving's character from the movies is Elrond.

Patroclos

Banned
I'm just being silly. The game's been a blast, but the power supply in my PS4 seems to have bitten the dust. Sony's sending a shipping box to me so I can get it repaired for free, but now I can't play anymore for likely a week or so. Heh.

Try this. I have sent two in and when it happened the third time I did this and it worked.

Step one; Make sure it is "off" and the next time you hit the button it will light up (mine would light up for a second and die).

Step two; Unplug everything but the power cord from the back of PS4. Hit the start button. It should work and you can reconnect your cables.

This worked for me on the first try. There is also a theory about the power brick moving internally in vertical setups and in transit. There is a trick you can google about hitting it on your knee in a certain way (serious) that has proven successful fro many.

Good luck and let them have it at Sony. I got Infamous SS for free due to this issue.

Arrrammis

When a target is surrounded by a huge group I always thin out the heard by picking off as many as I can with arrows before going in for the fight.

Depending on the situation, I usually lure them away one by one and stealth kill everyone, wait until they're by a fire and blow everyone up, or my personal favorite: Shoot all of the caragor bait in the stronghold, free all the caragors from their cages and watch 20 caragors rip the orcs apart. I usually jump on one so that all the othes ignore me, and it works out very well!

Man it tempting on my 2nd run to do a no upgrade run apart from stuff game makes you have.

Shit be crazy
That's an interesting idea, actually. At the moment, I'm enjoying my uber strength, I think it's fun to get a glowing sword, deal double damage, do two executions back to back, utilize the wraith powers in the midst of all this carnage. It makes me feel like a badass when attacking warchiefs with a full convoy of orcs following them.

Neidii

Really enjoyed this game, I played about 24 hours in total, did most of the side stuff like challenges and collectibles and such. I loved every second of it but now when it's all over I wish there was more. Absolutely loved the story, it felt very short to me. Hoping for more awesome content in the future!

iZVvDx2obXGu2.jpg
It felt good killing him.

How is this possible?

Brand each captain/warchief and then have them all become bodyguards under 1 warchief, then there will be a mission for warchiefs called beck and call, and when you summon the warchief he spawns will all his bodyguards. Not sure if or how you can get all the warchiefs in one spot though.

Horp

I think Im about halfway through the game right now. Really enjoying it. If AC games where like this I would like them. The Nemesis-system really makes a difference. The story, voice acting and overall presentation is great too. The one thing that would make it perfect would be a bigger world with more variation. Include a few surrounding countries and perhaps a bunch of deep caves.

Edit:
Oh btw I have a question. I have a captian with invunerability to combat, finishers, stealth, ranged and has extra damage, strong vs beasts.. And pretty much the rest too. Just one weakness, fear of fire. How do I kill him?

Trickster

Say what you want about the CAD comics or their writer, but Buckley(?) made a pretty nice highlight video showing how fearsome a Nemesis captain can get

That tracker trait is scary

The "fearsome" part kinda falls apart when the reason the player is dying so much to that captain is because the players just has the reaction speed of a slowpoke. Loses all the last stand things, and for some reason seems completely incapable of pressing A when the button prompt appears whenever he's fighting that captain.

The nemesis system is a cool idea, but I really just feel like the captains themselves are never a threat unless they get some crazy mix of invulnerabilities. And even then, they're only really a threat thanks to other factors

I think Im about halfway through the game right now. Really enjoying it. If AC games where like this I would like them. The Nemesis-system really makes a difference. The story, voice acting and overall presentation is great too. The one thing that would make it perfect would be a bigger world with more variation. Include a few surrounding countries and perhaps a bunch of deep caves.

Edit:
Oh btw I have a question. I have a captian with invunerability to combat, finishers, stealth, ranged and has extra damage, strong vs beasts.. And pretty much the rest too. Just one weakness, fear of fire. How do I kill him?

Other than setting him on fire with fire arrows? You could lead him to a camp then set him on fire.

You should also still be able to hurt him with regular attacks, unless he has a shield too. If he has a shield, you can jump over him, unless he is immune to that too. I don't think he can literally be immune to every tactic though.

There are some combinations that are very difficult to beat with just combat though.

god damn I've joined so many of my branded orcs' fight and seen them die because I'm enjoying the show vs actually helping.

It has reached the point I'm no longer waiting for another rhymer and just got the war chiefs I wanted. Now all I need to do is level them up to 20.

Horp

Other than setting him on fire with fire arrows? You could lead him to a camp then set him on fire.

You should also still be able to hurt him with regular attacks, unless he has a shield too. If he has a shield, you can jump over him, unless he is immune to that too. I don't think he can literally be immune to every tactic though.

There are some combinations kthat are very difficult to beat with just combat though.
Oh i think he just fears fire (becomes afraid), but he is still immune to ranged. But you might be right. Regarding combat, it says that he is immune to death melee combat, or something like that. He is also a spear thrower with extra damage, so he kills me instantly when I approach.

Still struggling to really appreciate the praise this game is getting.

I actually think the biggest thing annoying me (there are a few) is just how fake the nemesis and general respawn system feels.

I had to double check a couple times to make sure, but I'm right in saying the game recycles Orc names. I've killed the same named guys a few times (without being killed or reloading) and they seem to pop up down the road again. It just takes away the believability of the system.

Even worse is how they all magically respawn. I was in a stronghold on a mission to kill a named mob, hopping up levels, moving about the environment to fight off 30 or so of his friends when suddenly the game deems I've moved too far and any orc off camera has de-spawned. The named guy I was fighting had teleported halfway across the map to another area. All in the space of 2 seconds.

Then there is some (worse than) Far Cry 2 stuff happening with random base respawns. You can go to a basic tent/camp area, clear the 5 orcs there (and have 10 of their friends magically appear for help) and by the time you've turned around to leave, if you look back, literally seconds have passed before the camp is full again.

Just cheesy, bad game design.

I actually think the biggest thing annoying me (there are a few) is just how fake the nemesis and general respawn system feels.

I had to double check a couple times to make sure, but I'm right in saying the game recycles Orc names. I've killed the same named guys a few times (without being killed or reloading) and they seem to pop up down the road again. It just takes away the believability of the system.

Even worse is how they all magically respawn. I was in a stronghold on a mission to kill a named mob, hopping up levels, moving about the environment to fight off 30 or so of his friends when suddenly the game deems I've moved too far and any orc off camera has de-spawned. The named guy I was fighting had teleported halfway across the map to another area. All in the space of 2 seconds.

Then there is some (worse than) Far Cry 2 stuff happening with random base respawns. You can go to a basic tent/camp area, clear the 5 orcs there (and have 10 of their friends magically appear for help) and by the time you've turned around to leave, if you look back, literally seconds have passed before the camp is full again.

Do you still believe all of the praise was bought ?

This game is filling in the lack of Arkham Knight this year PERFECTLY.

I haven't had a single problem with the controls and I'm already DESTROYING huge groups of enemies while only getting hit once or twice. I even turned off the combat indicators to give me some amount of challenge, haha. I'm only like 2 hours in as well. I've only done the first 2 story missions and have just been fucking around the world so far.

I've only had the "last chance" almost died thing once and that's because I didn't even know there was a health bar at first. Also didn't know how to heal until after the first hour. I thought it was just a collectible, but then I saw it gave me more health!

AC Black Flag was the last big game I played, so I'm still not quite used to using the A button to run.

Oh man finally get to experience the nemesis system =D, been running around in open world killing a bunch of captains I come across lol

Was trying to do an early mission and suddenly 5 captains were in the nearby area, killed like 30 normal ones and 2 captain and then was surrounded by archers and their captain then I finally went down lol.

I've only done first mission lol didn't expect so many captains in the area for my second mission XD

Venfayth

Sorry if this has been asked a lot, but I want to gain intel and my force grab just keeps killing them instead of giving me the option to interrogate. What am I doing wrong?

Patroclos

Banned

Sounds like you are playing a different game. Maybe you are just one of those people who lacks the ability to suspend disbelief and feels the need to constantly poke around "behind the curtain" so to speak? That will ruin your enjoyment of nearly everything in life, not just games.

Edit; Nevermind. Didn't realize you were the bought reviews poster. Gamestop buys used games....

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
End-game spoilers

The face your nemesis bit at the end didn't work for me at all, because I didn't really have a nemesis that lasted beyond one fight in the second map. The guy who showed up was, for all I could tell, a completely random captain I'd never met before. Shame. I think I'd have preferred fewer, but much harder, captain encounters. By the end of the game it was all too easy to be effectual. I really admire the effort, though. The willingness to commit to an idea that might kind of break a dramatic moment at the end of the game is super cool.

Nobody has mentioned this to you yet, but if you don't behead captains then it isn't reused names, it's literally the same guy back for revenge.

I'm having trouble killing
Kruk the Endless, my 2nd War Chief.
Should I find out who his captain(s) are and kill them first, and only go after him once there are openings on the army map around him?

Jolkien

I just earned the platinum trophy. Pretty good game overall. Story ending was meh ENDING SPOILERS
I can't believe the reason Sauron gets back the One Ring is because it slipped off Celembrimbor'S finger... really ?

The "fearsome" part kinda falls apart when the reason the player is dying so much to that captain is because the players just has the reaction speed of a slowpoke. Loses all the last stand things, and for some reason seems completely incapable of pressing A when the button prompt appears whenever he's fighting that captain.

The nemesis system is a cool idea, but I really just feel like the captains themselves are never a threat unless they get some crazy mix of invulnerabilities. And even then, they're only really a threat thanks to other factors

To be fair any of the 4 button prompts can appear so he could be anticipating a different prompt from the one shown. Happens to me all the time. Also the initial start of where the cursor is can throw you off, sometimes it's left and sometimes it's right.

mossypne

Anyone having issues with thier PS4 disc? Me and a number of others on twitter have an issue where it spins the disc up and down and the just errors and spits the disc out. Shadow of Mordor is the only game to do this!

To be fair any of the 4 button prompts can appear so he could be anticipating a different prompt from the one shown. Happens to me all the time. Also the initial start of where the cursor is can throw you off, sometimes it's left and sometimes it's right.
Hence the incredibly slow reaction speed.

I watched him die to a standard enemy because he didn't seem to understand how to parry. He also shot a captain with an arrow, expecting him to die in one shot, and was confused when he didn't.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member

It's camera-relative. So, if your hand appears in the bottom-left, you need to move the cursor to the top-right, and so on.

edit: you might not be talking about the QTEs, I can't tell.

SJRB

Gold Member
I'm having trouble killing
Kruk the Endless, my 2nd War Chief.
Should I find out who his captain(s) are and kill them first, and only go after him once there are openings on the army map around him?

You don't have to spoiler tag War Chiefs, they're randomly generated and thus different for everyone.

The best strategy is to gain intel on him and his weaknesses, and then find out who his captains are and what their weaknesses are. If you don't take out his captains they will join the fight, so it's generally a good idea to take the captains down first to make the War Chief fight easier.

Nordicus

He also shot a captain with an arrow, expecting him to die in one shot, and was confused when he didn't.
Because at the moment he didn't realize the boss' weaknesses had changed from the leveling, and then thought he had initially misread the weakness until rewatching his footage showed otherwise. Beginner's mistake.

Sorian

Banned
I enjoyed that I came up to an area to summon a war chief and I opened my army screen to check on any potential bodyguards and noticed that there was one and was sad that u was going to need to trek across the map to kill him first when I noticed that one charged arrow to the head was an instant kill. Needless to say, I summoned the war chief with his scrub body guard following close behind. Nailed the body guard in the head when the war chief wasn't looking and had a fun little duel with the chief afterwards. Orc reinforcements showed up just as I got the killing blow (cut off his head as well) and the reinforcements proceeded to turn around a run the fuck away. I let them live if only so that I might here some random banter on my exploits later.

MUnited83

For you.
This game is filling in the lack of Arkham Knight this year PERFECTLY.

I haven't had a single problem with the controls and I'm already DESTROYING huge groups of enemies while only getting hit once or twice. I even turned off the combat indicators to give me some amount of challenge, haha. I'm only like 2 hours in as well. I've only done the first 2 story missions and have just been fucking around the world so far.

I've only had the "last chance" almost died thing once and that's because I didn't even know there was a health bar at first. Also didn't know how to heal until after the first hour. I thought it was just a collectible, but then I saw it gave me more health!

AC Black Flag was the last big game I played, so I'm still not quite used to using the A button to run.
2 hours in and 2 story missions? That's easy mode :p

I have a strange issue.

I'm playing the pc version on mouse+keyboard. To interrogate, I'm supposed to grab (hold CTRL) and press SPACEBAR to interrogate. However, when I'm holding them, my spacebar does nothing. Other commands work, such as stabbing (mouse button) and drain (E button). But SPACEBAR doesn't do anything in that situation. It works the rest of the time, just not when I have CTRL held.

It's got to be something up with my keyboard, but what? I turned off sticky keys and all that.

Well, this thread created enough hype that I went out and bought it while grocery shopping tonight.

Bonus anecdote: My Wal-Mart usually gets between 10-15 of each new game on the shelves and I bought the second last copy of the PS4 version and there was only five Xbox One versions left. I think this might be a surprise sales hit.

I have a strange issue.

I'm playing the pc version on mouse+keyboard. To interrogate, I'm supposed to grab (hold CTRL) and press SPACEBAR to interrogate. However, when I'm holding them, my spacebar does nothing. Other commands work, such as stabbing (mouse button) and drain (E button). But SPACEBAR doesn't do anything in that situation. It works the rest of the time, just not when I have CTRL held.

It's got to be something up with my keyboard, but what? I turned off sticky keys and all that.

I use KBM as well and not having issues so I don't know what your problem could be. Maybe try rebinding to see if a new key works.

ced

Holy shit game is fun, I was expecting an AC bore fest and was so wrong.

Only complaint is re spawning enemies.

Well, this thread created enough hype that I went out and bought it while grocery shopping tonight.

Bonus anecdote: My Wal-Mart usually gets between 10-15 of each new game on the shelves and I bought the second last copy of the PS4 version and there was only five Xbox One versions left. I think this might be a surprise sales hit.

Welcome brother.

Big tip: Don't go too in depth with nemesis and hunting down captains until you've done a decent amount of story missions. The reason being that different orc classes and certain game elements (Such as branding which is huge to the game) are locked behind main missions. With branding not being accessible until you reach the second map

Obrek

Banned
I made the mistake of dying to a spear chuck-er who has become the bane of my existence.

Ushak the Tactician has super strong poison spears, rapid regeneration and immunity to most things. He is weak to stealth kills, but this is where my problem comes in: I have never seen a stealth kill decapitate an enemy. Is it even possible or will Ushak come back indefinitely until I find a way to kill him with something other than a stealth attack?

Oh i think he just fears fire (becomes afraid), but he is still immune to ranged. But you might be right. Regarding combat, it says that he is immune to death melee combat, or something like that. He is also a spear thrower with extra damage, so he kills me instantly when I approach.

When they are in a feared state I think they lose certain status affects. They still don't instantly die from an execution, but you should be able to hit them... even with ranged immunity I believe.

I just earned the platinum trophy. Pretty good game overall. Story ending was meh ENDING SPOILERS
I can't believe the reason Sauron gets back the One Ring is because it slipped off Celembrimbor'S finger... really ?

It didn't just slip off. Think about it, if it slipped off and then happened to fall on Sauron's finger? lol

More likely Sauron had played some trick from the very beginning and let him take the ring so he could steal it back and smash the enemy armies with it.

I made the mistake of dying to a spear chuck-er who has become the bane of my existence.

Ushak the Tactician has super strong poison spears, rapid regeneration and immunity to most things. He is weak to stealth kills, but this is where my problem comes in: I have never seen a stealth kill decapitate an enemy. Is it even possible or will Ushak come back indefinitely until I find a way to kill him with something other than a stealth attack?

killing them without decapitation gives a chance they'll come back. If they kill you many times/become your nemesis their chances of coming back increase but they can eventually die.

Think of it as percentage chances that they'll come back, with them killing you and you not decapitating them, not to mention having come back before, increasing their chance of not dying.

lmbotiva

so, after a few hours of playing the game i have come to the conclusion that my first assessment was wrong, i said the game was great, now i think the game is fucking great, play on GAF

Figboy79

Aftershock LA

I don't know if anyone told you, but unless you decapitate the Captain, he will keep coming back as a nemesis, wanting revenge. There seems to be some kind of glitch where sometimes decapitated captains are coming back, but for most of us, when he is beheaded, he is gone for good. He will appear as a head on a spike in your Army list. That's when you know he's gone for good.

If he's just laying on the ground in your Army list, then he's being taken back to wherever, and healed up for another round at an unpredictable time.

That's part of what makes the nemesis system so fun for a lot of us. You develop a rivalry with the guy that just won't go down and appears at the worst possible times. And then, when you finally do remove his head from his shoulders, it feels so damn satisfying.

EDIT: You're the bought reviews guy?

Oh. :/

Pastry

Banned
I just finished the game and I have questions for people that actually know about LOTR story.

is Cerembibor canon? Has he ever been mentioned before?

Has the black hand ever been mentioned?

When Talion says it's time for a new ring what does he mean? Is that just setup for a sequel?

I'm guessing the story for the game doesn't really follow the history of the story? Where is it placed? Gollum doesn't have the ring so before Hobbit?

Gaz_RB

I just finished the game and I have questions for people that actually know about LOTR story.

is Cerembibor canon? Has he ever been mentioned before?

Has the black hand ever been mentioned?

When Talion says it's time for a new ring what does he mean? Is that just setup for a sequel?

I'm guessing the story for the game doesn't really follow the history of the story? Where is it placed? Gollum doesn't have the ring so before Hobbit?
I can answer a couple, though I'm no LOTR scholar.

Celebrimbor is canon to the lore. Not in the movies tho. The black hand has been mentioned, I think, but I'm not sure if it's in the same context. Not really sure what Talion meant. The story takes place after Gollum loses the ring in the Hobbit, and before the LOTR trilogy begins.

Top Bottom