• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor |OT| One Title to rule them all

Sanctuary

Getting the sword ultimate (2500 upgrade) makes most of the chiefs a joke. You can just spam 5 combat executes on him in the middle of 10 orcs to kill him. It´s kinda cheap but they don´t play fair either.

LOL. Yeah, there's that (I actually did that on a mission where you were not supposed to take damage when killing a specific Warchief), but the meter for that takes a while to build up. It's also one of the upgrades that someone should get a lot later on. That and the stealth kill equivalent are definitely the better two of the three bottom upgrades. The bow version not so much.

YMMV but put the runes that give +% damage at mid hot streak levels and at high hot streak levels in your sword, and also use one that returns life for a flurry or head explosion kill. Then there are also those that have a chance to return all of your health at a specific hot streak number.

Ramenman

What just happened, I've done 3 story missions total and it's been 5 hours.

Yes. YES.

That's why I love this game. Shit just happens to you all the time.

Though be sure to quickly do the first batch of Gollum mission as they give you two of the skills you'd wish you'd had earlier, if you don't have them already :
Shadow Strike changes your life, and Brand Flash (or whatever) is kinda cool too. Not sure it came from those missions though but I think it did.

Sanctuary

Yes. YES.

That's why I love this game. Shit just happens to you all the time.

Though be sure to quickly do the first batch of Gollum mission as they give you two of the skills you'd wish you'd had earlier, if you don't have them already :
Shadow Strike changes your life, and Brand Flash (or whatever) is kinda cool too. Not sure it came from those missions though but I think it did.

You get the
Branding ability in the second half of the game.
It's not a Gollum mission.

I'm on story mission 12 of 20 now, and want to play more now that I've stopped. It's a good game, which I've grown to like more and become used to, what with its lack of linearity in certain ways.

There's a very solid foundation here, but it's not original or groundbreaking. There are things to improve on if a sequel is made, because they hold it back from being great.

H1PSTER

I've just
killed four warchiefs and taken down the monument.
How close am I to unlocking more stuff for the nemesis system?

I really want this dude to become stronger.

Zdf5UdM.jpg

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Loving this game. Pretty difficult sometimes, especially against multiple captains during a Warchief fight.

Finally killed my first 4 warchiefs, having a blast.

Jobbs

Banned
just got started on this game a couple hours ago, and I'm a newb -- I encountered a captain who is a "combat master" -- ie, nothing I threw at him in combat seemed to be able to hurt him at all.

If you find yourself in this situation, what do you do? just run and look for another way to approach him some other time?

also, obligatory stories time.. I was in a brawl with a bunch of orcs and two captains, and a third captain showed up somehow -- he must have been a weakling or something, because right after he introduced himself I delivered a charged finisher (when you hit triangle and square together) and beheaded him instantly. Was pretty funny. "I'm here!" *loses head*

I also have encountered a captain who uses some kind of million damage bow and he keeps beating me, but he doesn't finish me off. He just walks away.

If I've killed all four Warchiefs (without any other uruk taking their places), will I be S.O.L. for branding their bodyguards? I assume not, but wanted to ask.

There are probably new ones in area 2.

SJRB

Gold Member
My only fault so far is the score isn't as decent as the films imo, I would of loved some themes from the fellowship especially

Those are probably copyrighted and all, but I agree that the score could've been more "epic". The [ambient] music in Sea of Nurn is much better than in Udûn though, and very occasionally it kicks in this massive orchestral tune during a fight. Only had it happen like 2 times, not sure what triggers it.

I just cannot stop slaying orcs damnit.
This game is so much fun.

It absolutely has that "I need to stop playing because it's getting late - O wait, just going to kill that group of Orcs. Last group, I swear. O wait, look at that archer. Gonna shadowstrike him, last one, I swear. O look.."

Fired up the game at 1:00AM last night..."I'll just play one mission and then hit the hay" said I....2:45hrs later I get to bed...zero missions completed...
yet tons of fun had
lol

Sanctuary

If I've killed all four Warchiefs (without any other uruk taking their places), will I be S.O.L. for branding their bodyguards? I assume not, but wanted to ask.

There are probably new ones in area 2.

Their bodyguards will replace them. Otherwise a random orc will just fill the void left by the Warchief and become the new Warchief.

If I enter wraith world, am I invisible? And is it permanent?

Somehow every orc can see you, even though according to the lore, they can't see someone in the shadow realm.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Their bodyguards will replace them. Otherwise a random orc will just fill the void left by the Warchief and become the new Warchief.

Somehow every orc can see you, even though according to the lore, they can't see someone in the shadow realm.

Damn, that sucks.

Also, can I make explosions from campfires?

/noob

I think it's less you entering the world as you are seeing through the eyes of your elf friend.

Motherfucker.

Some assclown by the name of Ratanak the Poet just killed me with an opportune hit and has taken the place of an as yet undiscovered captain.

DIE.

Sanctuary

I think it's less you entering the world as you are seeing through the eyes of your elf friend.

The way it's done in the game makes it look exactly like it did in the movie whenever the one ring was put on. You're probably right and somehow it's just his vision, but the way it looks in game leads you to believe you're actually stepping into that realm. Why not though, since you can apparently step between Middle-Earth and the shadow realm when doing your bow teleport?

Sanctuary

Wasn't there a skill that made you immune to poison? I disctinctly remember seeing it somewhere at some point, but in the game it's nowhere to be found. Would have been really useful for some of the more annoying enemies, especially the archer elites that had a crossbow that can take off half health in a single shot AND poisons you.

Wasn't there a skill that made you immune to poison? I disctinctly remember seeing it somewhere at some point, but in the game it's nowhere to be found. Would have been really useful for some of the more annoying enemies, especially the archer elites that had a crossbow that can take off half health in a single shot AND poisons you.

It's an epic rune.

SJRB

Gold Member

Pretty sure there's a rune with a poison immunity buff, not a regular skill upgrade.

Beefy

The ghoul cave where you do the sword side mission is a piss take. Any one have any ideas that could help me? I get to when you are facing matriarch but then get destroyed by the poison.

Yoday

Is there something I am supposed to do to get access to the Dark Ranger skin? I pre ordered the game on PSN, and I don't have access to any bonus skins. When I go to the select game mode screen there is an option to change skins, but it is locked, along with Test of War, which I thought was also supposed to be a pre order bonus. I have tried restoring licences, and that hasn't worked either. Am I missing something here?

Edit: Found the solution. For those that have the same issue, you have to go into the store page for the game, click download, choose version, free. That will download all of the bonus content. It sure would have been nice if Sony had said something about needing to do this. An alert through the UI for those that had preordered would have been perfect.

Sanctuary

The ghoul cave where you do the sword side mission is a piss take. Any one have any ideas that could help me? I get to when you are facing matriarch but then get destroyed by the poison.

You want to use your Wraith Explosion, or whatever it's called so that it hits her. That seems to be the fastest way to kill her off. Otherwise, dodge a lot. The campfires will do a ton of damage too.

I left the mission for awhile, came back when I had the upgrade that allows you to get finishers at 5 hits instead of 8. Combo that with critical hits for essentially doing finishers every 3 hits, run away and grab herbs nearby as needed. That's how I beat it.

You could also save up 2500 mir and get the sword upgrade that let's you get unlimited finishers for 20 seconds.

You could do that, but it's a bit overkill. You don't even need to get close to the matriarch at all to finish her off quickly.

I left the mission for awhile, came back when I had the upgrade that allows you to get finishers at 5 hits instead of 8. Combo that with critical hits for essentially doing finishers every 3 hits, run away and grab herbs nearby as needed. That's how I beat it.

You could also save up 2500 mir and get the sword upgrade that let's you get unlimited finishers for 20 seconds.

Loomba

Is anyone else's Playstation store have a lock on it, and when you click it it says there is no content for sale?

I wanna buy the season pass.

JON4495

So to get a critical strike, do you press square once to hit, then press it again as the sword is about to make contact? I can't seem to get the timing down.

So to get a critical strike, do you press square once to hit, then press it again as the sword is about to make contact? I can't seem to get the timing down.

On PC version at least, all you have to do is not spam the button. Attack, wait for the strike animation to finish hitting, attack again, rinse and repeat.

Roshin

Best asshole simulator I've ever played. All I'm currently doing is beating up orcs. I'll get around to the story stuff eventually, I'm sure.

Wishlist:

- Kinda wish I had a proper bow and arrows, instead of the magical mystery wraith one.

- Also wish my guy sometimes cut off someone's hand, leg, nose, fingers, or whatever, and not just the head, so they would show up later with a crude mechanical limb strapped to them and going "Oi! You're the twat who took my hand off!". I guess that would be more Warhammer than Middle-Earth, though. :)

Hmm, on the PC version here. The game suddenly started crashing - a lot -

Sometimes I get the error 'video device removed or reset', though other times the screen just goes black with the music still playing.

(i5 3570 - 8gb ram - asus gtx970 - win 7)

One fucking bodyguard keeps fucking killing me and I can't do anything about it because if I don't kill him I can't kill the goddamm warcheif because this dude comes out too ARGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG he's leveled up 12 levels from when I first encountered him.
I hate him.

- Also wish my guy sometimes cut off someone's hand, leg, nose, fingers, or whatever, and not just the head, so they would show up later with a crude mechanical limb strapped to them and going "Oi! You're the twat who took my hand off!". I guess that would be more Warhammer than Middle-Earth, though. :)

While they certainly don't come back, many an orc has lost a limb when I've taken their head.

Kezen

Banned
Hmm, on the PC version here. The game suddenly started crashing - a lot -

Sometimes I get the error 'video device removed or reset', though other times the screen just goes black with the music still playing.

(i5 3570 - 8gb ram - asus gtx970 - win 7)

Set your textures to high if you haven't done so, otherwise are you running anything in the background ? Latest drivers ?
You're not alone in this, I've seen similar reports.
http://steamcommunity.com/app/241930/discussions/0/613937306883452721/
http://steamcommunity.com/app/241930/discussions/0/613937306884965211/

If your GPU is overclocked you could lower it just a bit and see what happens.

Tips for the sword missions in general? I'm having a rough time with them.

Also bummer about the Ithildin not unlocking anything. Guess I can start ignoring that.

Top Bottom