• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor |OT| One Title to rule them all

Is there any way to safely let go of a branded enemy after they've been grabbed? It automatically throws them, and with ledges abound, that ain't good!

Heman

Just finished this game and here are my overall impressions :

Combat is batman ; not a bad thing . Its more visceral and feels really fun . Its also a bit rougher as I can't seem to target enemies that well leading to executions hitting the wrong uruk.

AI is stupid but I think this was deliberately done to keep the game flowing and it works well. My only gripe would be that I feel day and night don't have an effect on their visibility.

Game looks nice . Some issues with traversable areas/ ledges and general environmental collision but not too bad.

Nemesis system is genius . Makes all those side missions that would normally be samey unique ( depending on captain ). Also makes you feel like a baws when you have all the war chiefs dominated

Bit on the short side but certainly worth it.

Here is a story from me . was trying to make one the captains fuck up his hunt and got ambused by 3 other captains and pummeled to paste . was very cathartic hunting the one that killed me .

Kyoufu

Yes. YES.

That's why I love this game. Shit just happens to you all the time.

Though be sure to quickly do the first batch of Gollum mission as they give you two of the skills you'd wish you'd had earlier, if you don't have them already :
Shadow Strike changes your life, and Brand Flash (or whatever) is kinda cool too. Not sure it came from those missions though but I think it did.

When does the mission for Shadow Strike show up?

Sanctuary

Some issues with traversable areas/ ledges and general environmental collision but not too bad.

That reminds me. I didn't have collision issues as much as the game's "sticky" parkour would sometimes be really stupid and not do what I wanted it to do. Sometimes you can run directly towards a wall and then start climbing up it. Other times he will start rolling into the traversable object and still other times he would press up against it as though he's crouching for cover and as though it cannot be climbed, when it can be.

I also absolutely hated the utter randomness of the drop down mechanic. You know, hit B (or I guess circle for PS3/4) to drop down off of a ledge. You're facing one direction and so you want to hang off of a very specific ledge? Okay, so hit your button. Whoops, that's not the side you want to hang down from, so shift the way Talion is facing. Nope, he hangs down on the same side he just did again. Now, do the same thing on an identical type ledge area and he may or may not actually end up hanging the direction you want. Shit was infuriating on stealth missions.

There were also many times where I would want to simply walk off a ledge, but nope, you have to JUMP a mile off because the magnetic ledge would prevent you from "accidentally" falling off.

I also didn't like how slow the transition from rolling to running was. If you just rolled in combat and wanted to start running, you would have to walk for 2-3 seconds or else hitting the run button would just make you dodge again. This was really annoying when trying to gain ground from a fast elite that was directly on your back.

The Nemesis system is a resounding success. This post proves it.

It just proves some people have way more difficulty with basic action games than others.

Edit: I do get your meaning though.

Spineker

Banned
One fucking bodyguard keeps fucking killing me and I can't do anything about it because if I don't kill him I can't kill the goddamm warcheif because this dude comes out too ARGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG he's leveled up 12 levels from when I first encountered him.
I hate him.

The Nemesis system is a resounding success. This post proves it.

So I've run into an issue of if I brand too many uruk in a fight to try and making getting at a captain easier they seem to have a habit of killing the captain before I get a chance to brand them.

This has happened to me 3 times so far.

I also don't like the fact that you "throw" a held uruk when you dismiss them, did that to a branded captain earlier and accidentally threw him off a bridge to his death.

GeoramA

So I should probably do some story missions. Got 6 ability points that I can't spend, lol.

I just love going out and doing whatever in this world. It's so fucking good.

R&R

Almost finished now, all in all I have to say Shadow of Mordor has been one of the best games I have played in a long time. Sure, it has it's problems (which game doesn't?) but they are mostly pretty minor gripes. The Nemesis system is truly first time something has felt "next-gen" in the PS4/X1 generation to me - something never seen before in any game. And possibly something not possible to do on previous gen hardware.

Really hope this is a start of a great new franchise for Monolith.

9/10.

Sanctuary

So I've run into an issue of if I brand too many uruk in a fight to try and making getting at a captain easier they seem to have a habit of killing the captain before I get a chance to brand them.

This has happened to me 3 times so far.

I also don't like the fact that you "throw" a held uruk when you dismiss them, did that to a branded captain earlier and accidentally threw him off a bridge to his death.

I found out the hard way about the throwing when trying to brand a bunch of archers after a non leathal shadow teleport. I just started pulling them so that they were facing a wall when releasing them. As far as your first issue, there's a skill that lets you instantly kill all those around you that you've branded. I normally would just brand a few per fight anyway as fodder and distractions and just execute the rest.

LuchaShaq

Banned
As someone who actively despised the books and movies that I've gotten through in the series this game has been shocking me

Yet after playing two hours of this game I'm loving it.

That said I would love to just cut gollums stupid head off, what a dumb little fucker that thing is. Basically the only thing I dislike so far is him.

Only two things this generation have made me say wow this needed the new consoles.
The nemesis system in this game.
The graphics in Infamous second son.

newsguy

I bought this game yesterday. I don't care about LOTR so I completely ignored this release. Between this thread and the Bombcast basically having an orgasm about the nemesis system, I bit, despite the fact that there are 500 other great games this fall.

Now here's my question to you guys, am I supposed to be dying like crazy? So far my experience is to find a captain, try to fight him, and immediately get surrounded by 2 other captains and 15 Uruks. I can hold my own but sometimes it's overwhelming and I end up dying. So basically I spent all day making every grunt into a bad ass captain. I had a guy called something "the crazy" who killed me so much he was hard as hell by the time I actually killed him. Should I be doing other missions and side stuff in order to get to a point where these are easier, or am I using the wrong strategy?

v0mitg0d

I'm at the part near the end of the first area where you have to push a cart (
during the final battle in the first area
) and it keeps saying press R1 to push the cart, but it doesnt seem to be working.

Is this a bug or am I doing something wrong? Need help!

Thanks!

v0mitg0d

I'm at the part near the end of the first area where you have to push a cart (
during the final battle in the first area
) and it keeps saying press R1 to push the cart, but it doesnt seem to be working.

Is this a bug or am I doing something wrong? Need help!

Thanks!

aaaaand now its working. Reloading fixed it.

Lucifon

So what's the negative of interrogating? It seems he kills them after doing it anyway, and with captains its so easy to get their health down then grab and interrogate. But it feels very gamey and meaningless to do it to all of them.

ZeroX03

Banned
Suck it, Boromir.
lgmmxj.jpg

Really enjoying this so far, but I seem to keep getting dagger runes and very rarely sword/bow ones.

Is this randomised or based on the method you kill the enemy?

cackhyena

For some reason when it comes to dodging in this game, I'm just not as good as I am in the Batman games. I can get combos up really high and be surrounded by tons of guys, even feeling good about my chances after a reinforcement horn blows, but eventually it falls apart. I just feel like the window for dodging is super small. I tried the ghul matron sword mission a couple times and could not beat the fucking thing. I've hardly unlocked any of the second tier abilities, though. So maybe I'm making it harder on myself by going after it at this point.

The nemesis system really is something special, though. Hope more open world games rip it off in some way.

Audioboxer

About to really get going now, any early game tips or things I should do first, or just go and explore on my own? I don't think any trophies are missable.

FtHTiny

Is it easy to platinum? Only games I've ever had the patience to platinum are Wolfenstein TNO, Infamous SS and Tearaway lol. So going by those games, you reckon I could do it? Haha

I got all achievements on steam done in 20 hours. They are all pretty straight forward to do.
The only one where you have to grind/hope for is getting a lvl 25 rune.

Sanctuary

So what's the negative of interrogating? It seems he kills them after doing it anyway, and with captains its so easy to get their health down then grab and interrogate. But it feels very gamey and meaningless to do it to all of them.

If you mean grab a captain, get info then "dismiss"? You aren't killing them. They simply vanish, only to appear in another area (sometimes close to where you are) and they will be on the troops menu.

You can brand them, then brand them again if you need arrows (and have a rune for that) and find out intel all at the same time.

I got all achievements on steam done in 20 hours. They are all pretty straight forward to do.
The only one where you have to grind/hope for is getting a lvl 25 rune.

Not sure how accurate this is, but I didn't care enough to bother after finishing the game.

http://www.crashwiki.com/get-level-25-rune-middle-earth-shadow-mordor/

ZeroX03

Banned
Is it easy to platinum? Only games I've ever had the patience to platinum are Wolfenstein TNO, Infamous SS and Tearaway lol. So going by those games, you reckon I could do it? Haha

It's easy and if you know what you're doing it's 20 hours (as FtHTiny mentioned). Probably a tiny bit harder than Infamous but significantly more fun. Nothing that any regular Gaffer couldn't handle though.

Not sure how accurate this is, but I didn't care enough to bother after finishing the game.

http://www.crashwiki.com/get-level-25-rune-middle-earth-shadow-mordor/

Yeah that works. There's a chance you get an Epic Rune instead though, so I had to do it twice.

Kamina

Golden Boy
Been watching this game regulary and always believed it could be something awesome.
Purchased ot today and cant wait to play it later.

Hah, suck it Ratanak. Went out like a little bitch as he tried to run away. Couldn't escape me chasing him and igniting a bonfire as he ran by. HAHAHAHAHAHA.

I blew off a day out with friends to kill him. Totally worth it. Totally.

My task right now is to kill 4 War-chiefs, this isn't some end-game shit, is it? I'm okay to do it without fear of finishing the story? Also, do people succeed War-chiefs or are they gone for good?

Played even more last night..

It's official.. this game is now a CLASSIC! I have never had so much fun in combat (despite how hard it is) in any game -- Dark Souls, Assassin's Creed, and Batman compared. This game has a much much more fun combat system that is both rewarding, makes you feel like a total bad-ass, and still challenging as hell (often requiring you to pay attention to your moves). Nothing will touch it for quite a while..

Is there any way to gain more power without doing story missions?

I've done a number of side missions, but I'm barely getting any power, I've got some from killing captains, but it's not much...

So my buddy was telling me how much he was enjoying Battlefield last night in front of Papaya Hotdog by NYU in NYC(the free copy from Gold)And then, out of no where a drunk Puerto Rican was like "yo, you playing BF? Yo, get Shadow! I only played that shit for an hour son, is fucking fire my dude!, that shit is no joke, my ninja. Get that my gee. Greatest game ever. And that was only a hour my ninja. I swear to my moms*kisses the sky* Game is the truth." I was on the fence about this, and a lot of my friends were feeling the same as well. But that drunk PR dude convince me and my buddies to get it, lol.

Finally put a bit of time in after buying this yesterday and boy is it fun.

Doing mainly story missions so far, as suggested and just got Ratbag to
Warchief
and I'm loving this. Never played a batman game before so it's all brand new to me.

Died once to a spear guy and saw him get promoted - his time will come.

Also died three times on
killing Mogg to make Ratbag warchief.
but it was a mission so I didn't care too much since reload seemed snappy.

So far the GAF hype is living up to it's intensity.

Tizoc

Is there any extras if I
100% the game?

Just finished it, Orc killing was fun, and the combat was great, worthy of GotY contender.

I'm not far into the game, haven't done the 2nd story mission, and I was doing a side mission in one of the keeps. An enemy alerted the guards, 2 Captains came with a bunch of enemies. I killed them all. >:)

Was so fucking epic.
Having multiple captains show up gets old, fast. Battles become a chore, not fun. I'm disappointed with the game. Gonna put a couple more hours in today, though.

Finally completed the game.
I think I pretty much broke the game though, once I got a rune that gave me health for draining enemies. That plus combat drain, plus double take downs equaled my health never going down past one or two hits and a constant stream of allies. I seriously don't think I ever died once I got to Numen.
If I play it once more, I'll try not to break it again. Still had fun though.

Audioboxer

Man this game is awesome. Going to take that point above to focus on story though as I've been sidetracked for the past hour.

Died 3 times. I was strolling around and bam a captain appears, doing okay against him and then one of my nemesis' comes running in to help, so two captains! The first one ran away scared though, and I managed to kill my nemesis.

Played even more last night..

It's official.. this game is now a CLASSIC! I have never had so much fun in combat (despite how hard it is) in any game -- Dark Souls, Assassin's Creed, and Batman compared. This game has a much much more fun combat system that is both rewarding, makes you feel like a total bad-ass, and still challenging as hell (often requiring you to pay attention to your moves). Nothing will touch it for quite a while..
In fights vs groups of enemies all you do is keep pressing X and then Y when the prompt shows up. Sometimes after a bunch of X's you use Wraith Stun. Incredible combat. I'm not understanding where this is coming from. You can literally fight with one hand vs a big group because he'll automatically go to the closest monster, so you can just use your right hand and keep pressing X and Y.

"But you can also use the bow, you can grab, you can execute, you can use the wraith stun, blah blah"... whatever. I'm feeling dismayed.

In fights vs groups of enemies all you do is keep pressing X and then Y when the prompt shows up. Sometimes after a bunch of X's you use Wraith Stun. Incredible combat. I'm not understanding where this is coming from. You can literally fight with one hand vs a big group because he'll automatically go to the closest monster, so you can just use your right hand and keep pressing X and Y.

"But you can also use the bow, you can grab, you can execute, you can use the wraith stun, blah blah"... whatever. I'm feeling dismayed.

Wait, what? Have you actually fought Defenders and Archers and multiple Captains yet?

I'm not saying this game is Super Meat Boy but let's not get into hyperbole here: many players find it plenty challenging.

Levyne

Banned
Wait, what? Have you actually fought Defenders and Archers and multiple Captains yet?

I'm not saying this game is Super Meat Boy but let's not get into hyperbole here: many players find it plenty challenging.

Not to mention berserkers or not-wargs. Again, i've only died a handful of times (usually to poison ranged enemies) but talk about hyperbole.

newsguy

Man this game is awesome. Going to take that point above to focus on story though as I've been sidetracked for the past hour.

Died 3 times. I was strolling around and bam a captain appears, doing okay against him and then one of my nemesis' comes running in to help, so two captains! The first one ran away scared though, and I managed to kill my nemesis.

I must have bad luck then. In the first couple of hours I'd have 5 damn captains show up mid fight

Audioboxer

A system which is fairly easy to use can still be gratifying, and challenging if coupled well with other mechanics. Even just the gore levels the game goes to can make simple button pushes satisfying for the player.

Not to mention it can become a bit more tactical when you get overrun and when more complex captains join in.

I think some people will get a bit carried away on the hype train, but this game certainly does combat right for what the overall gameplay mechanics need to be to make everything tick.

Not to mention berserkers or not-wargs. Again, i've only died a handful of times (usually to poison ranged enemies) but talk about hyperbole.
It's challenging, lengthy, and feels like a chore, not fun. Yes, I know about doing the Flurry thing vs. Berserkers. Combat takes so damn long.

Top Bottom