• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor |OT| One Title to rule them all

IncomparableEveryArgusfish.gif

cackhyena

In fights vs groups of enemies all you do is keep pressing X and then Y when the prompt shows up. Sometimes after a bunch of X's you use Wraith Stun. Incredible combat. I'm not understanding where this is coming from. You can literally fight with one hand vs a big group because he'll automatically go to the closest monster, so you can just use your right hand and keep pressing X and Y.

"But you can also use the bow, you can grab, you can execute, you can use the wraith stun, blah blah"... whatever. I'm feeling dismayed.
Um, this is horse shit. Try that against archers, spear throwers and defenders in the same group you think you can easily tackle one handed. Not to mention if a beast shows up.

Mordudes, I have a recently appointed Warchief that has a blue icon and is apparently waiting on my instructions... I'm 95% positive that I chose only to issue a death threat on another captain when he was a captain himself.

So, some questions:

> Is that what happens when you issue a death threat, or am I recalling incorrectly and did I select another prompt from the domination menu? If so, which one? 'Brand' is unlocked, for what it's worth.

> And more importantly, what exactly can I make him do?

cripterion

I'm at the part near the end of the first area where you have to push a cart (
during the final battle in the first area
) and it keeps saying press R1 to push the cart, but it doesnt seem to be working.

Is this a bug or am I doing something wrong? Need help!

Thanks!

You have to hold R1 and advance if I remember correctly.

ZeroX03

Banned
The Wraith Burn skill is a game changer. It instantly incinerates stunned enemies and causes others to flee.

Throw in Double Charge, and you can waste whole mobs within 5/8 hits. Get a hit streak, Wraith Flash and then Wraith Burn and sit back laughing.

Wounded

Stupid question but I missed the pop up, how do you combat brand? Is it possible? It said press a combination of something but I didn't catch it.

Stupid question but I missed the pop up, how do you combat brand? Is it possible? It said press a combination of something but I didn't catch it.

After you get to 5/8 hits in a combo (Sword Flash? I can't remember the name of it at the moment) press X + O (A + B for Xbox controller). For kb/m I'm not sure.

axb2013

I'm playing with mouse & KB, I imagine it must be even more more difficult with a controller:
There is a timed mission that begins with riding a Caragor and the goal is to prevent 3 executions within 3 minutes. The Caragor is a must have to reach all 3 locations in time. The problem is that if you take the Caragor into each location, if the enemies don't kill it, you likely will as you are swinging at the enemies you are bound to hit the Caragor inadvertently due to dodgy controls. Best bet is to dismount ~100 ft before reaching each location, spend arrows because focus slows down the time spent.

Hystzen

In fights vs groups of enemies all you do is keep pressing X and then Y when the prompt shows up. Sometimes after a bunch of X's you use Wraith Stun. Incredible combat. I'm not understanding where this is coming from. You can literally fight with one hand vs a big group because he'll automatically go to the closest monster, so you can just use your right hand and keep pressing X and Y.

"But you can also use the bow, you can grab, you can execute, you can use the wraith stun, blah blah"... whatever. I'm feeling dismayed.

Please do record yourself fighting a mob of defenders, berserkers,hunters, 2 bodyguard captains and a war chief which don't have instant finisher weakness with one arm tied behind your back. Could do with a laugh

lmpaler

Loving this game so far.

Anyone having an issue with Vsync on PC? I get a solid, locked, 60 fps on this game, but when I open the menu or map and close it my game runs likes crap until I look at the ground or the sky.

It's like the game is glitched in rendering and then when I "reset" it by looking where there is little to render it snaps back to 60 and then I resume playing as normal with no issues.

I had a similar issue with Diablo 3 and I'd alt-tab out and in to reset it.

I'm not home to test the theory yet, but I think it's a bug in Vsync.

Goddamit, I got butchered by some no name doing the fight against 50 Orc/Uruk sword challenge and then proceeded to be killed by the same bastard three damn times and they all stupid and unavoidable deaths.

I think I need a break...

So I started a new game, not picking up some powers I think are a bit too good and doing way different weapon runes as well as not buying additional health, focus, or even arrows.

And I finally get this captain that has a shield and can't be jumped over. Immune to stealth, but can be hit by combat finishers and ranged. I was kicking his ass and then an ambusher who I have already killed at least 2 or 3 times comes up and shoots me down and I die to either of them.

I track the shielded guy down again and it is an event where he is fighting of Ghuls. I figured there is no way for me to take him out with the ghuls around since I cannot even jump over and stun or attack him from the back with his strengths. Eventually he finishes the ghuls and powers up... and I was wearing him down and he was in the green at one point. But after he powers up, he gains immunity to ranged attacks QQ. The ambusher shows up at that point and I kill the ambusher and die to the shielded captain.

I track down the ambusher again in a stronghold. I am fighting him and there is about 40 uruk also chasing me around. Guess who appears? That's right. The ambusher. But this time... for some weird reason that I can't explain... the shielded guy KILLS the ambusher when I was running for my life and even pretty far from them. That made no sense to me and after he died I checked the battle report and there was no ambush challenge going on or anything. I'm not even certain he was ambushing me, as I saw him walk in from the distance as I was running from the hordes of uruk.

I finally managed to kill the shield captain. An arrow through the eye. And since then he has had a giant metallic shard wedged over his skull and eye where I shot him. He isn't dead. In fact, I killed him... and the ambusher at least 1 or 2 times since. And I am still pretty sure they are alive because I have yet to decapitate either of them.

I love it.

Xater

So I finished the game today and loved it. I also did quite a lot in it. I have like a 86% completion rating or something. The biggest issue this game has is how you unlock skills. They lock way too many of them behind story missions. Early on I wanted nothing more than to fuck around more with the open world and the nemesis system but I could not get some key skills because they were locked behind story content. So I had to do more story missions until I got those. They even lock some super fun ones that are the best to fuck around with in the nemesis system behind like the last 5 story missions. Who thought that was a great idea? They could have kept the power thing but otherwise just let the player choose whichever skill he wanted to pick.

maybe they did it because of how some of the missions are designed, but they also have no problem locking some side stuff until you have the right quests. They could have done the same for story stuff or just designed the story missions without specific skills in mind.

Amir0x

Banned
ugh this game is already starting to get a bit repetitive. It's still decent but I think I'll just ignore the sidequests now

KingKong

I'm playing with mouse & KB, I imagine it must be even more more difficult with a controller:
There is a timed mission that begins with riding a Caragor and the goal is to prevent 3 executions within 3 minutes. The Caragor is a must have to reach all 3 locations in time. The problem is that if you take the Caragor into each location, if the enemies don't kill it, you likely will as you are swinging at the enemies you are bound to hit the Caragor inadvertently due to dodgy controls. Best bet is to dismount ~100 ft before reaching each location, spend arrows because focus slows down the time spent.

I haven't done that mission yet, but I did the 'arrow 10 guys riding a carador', and wouldnt it be easier that way? you can recharge arrows by sapping it so you never run out

Hystzen

My new favourite captain

Duce the complainer

Never mind the VA makes him sound like douche the complainer he literally does complain if you go fight him also has the most camp Orc voice ever heard.

I shall make him a warcheif

Ein Bear

Haha just had a new Captain run into a fight and immediately get one-shot killed by my melee finisher that lopped his head right off.

He didn't even get chance to do his "Rrrrrangaaah!" introduction scene, poor guy must be the shortest lived Captain ever. This game is so great.

oSoLucky

ugh this game is already starting to get a bit repetitive. It's still decent but I think I'll just ignore the sidequests now

Absolutely. It's great fun but I can't play more than 2 or 3 hours at a time without getting very aggravated. I kinds wish the side missions didn't feel so much like bloat and there was more variety.

Maybesew

Does anyone else find the button layouts to be a bit clunky? The circle triangle combo or r2 square make me struggle. Also trying to activate something with r1 while holding r2 for stealth.

I just unlocked the second tier of abilities so I don't have much to use in combat yet, but so far it's a struggle

TomChabbs

Neo Member
I was stuck on the warchiefs mission for a long time, getting increasingly frustrated. So I decided to take my time, go and do a few side missions, increase my health and get a few more abilities. Now I'm having a much easier time, it's all about the wraith stun and combo executions.

JAY the BIRD

Neo Member
Loving this game so far.

Anyone having an issue with Vsync on PC? I get a solid, locked, 60 fps on this game, but when I open the menu or map and close it my game runs likes crap until I look at the ground or the sky.

I had a similar issue when navigating the menus. With vsync activated my FR was very sporadic, especially in the Nemesis menu. Switching to borderless fixed all of my problems. Hope that helps you too!

This was definitely a batman game at one point I'd be interested to know why and how it changed into a lord of the rings game. Probably for the best as to not oversaturate the market.

pronk420

This game is amazing, so glad I watched the giantbomb quick look because I was on the fence until then

Without the nemesis system it might be passable, but with it the game really comes into its own. The first time I came across it was completely unscripted and ended up being crazy, and then I accidentally ran into someone who had killed me a few times before I finally managed to take him out. The feeling of it being a real living place is so good.

I was slightly sceptical about whether that could carry it but it really does and the game is at least on a par with assassins creed in the general mechanics if not better

Please do record yourself fighting a mob of defenders, berserkers,hunters, 2 bodyguard captains and a war chief which don't have instant finisher weakness with one arm tied behind your back. Could do with a laugh

Yea, this dude is definitely sleeping on the combat. It's very robust and not easy at all. All depends on the circumstances.

Jobbs

Banned
killing captains seems to come down to one thing, basically -- I mean, there are a lot of traits that make a difference, but really, it all comes down to if they're a combat master or whatever. The trait that makes them immune to basic attacks.

As long as they're not, you can just go fight them. If they are, you need some kind of plan. This seems to be the single biggest factor.

Does anyone else find the button layouts to be a bit clunky? The circle triangle combo or r2 square make me struggle. Also trying to activate something with r1 while holding r2 for stealth.

I just unlocked the second tier of abilities so I don't have much to use in combat yet, but so far it's a struggle

I dont really have a problem with any of the combat button layouts. But A(on xbox) being sprint is insufferable. I havent even checked if there is a way to change it yet, just hoping to get used to it after a while.

One fucking bodyguard keeps fucking killing me and I can't do anything about it because if I don't kill him I can't kill the goddamm warcheif because this dude comes out too ARGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG he's leveled up 12 levels from when I first encountered him.
I hate him.

I killed him. Chopped off his head so I never see him again. The day is won.

ryseing

You don't have to dismount.

Auctopus

I'm starting to love how the Nemesis system is sort of like a separate mode. It can influence things that happen to you within the world but it's sort of separate yet alongside the story.

Like, if you get bored with side-missions or the story, you can just started to systematically take down the hierarchy. Also, after
you unlock the second map
, I like how you can come back and see how the hierarchy has changed.

Audioboxer

Anyone ever have a captain say not like this too easy when he defeats you and walk away letting you live? lol that was awesome and unexpected.

Top Bottom