• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor |OT| One Title to rule them all

What's the story like because I'm just running around killing dudes and seeking revenge..

Well the game tries to get you to think it's more than that, but it's pretty much that. Granted I haven't finished the game yet, but it seems pretty predictable.

The story is actually one of the weak points of the game IMO.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Anyone ever have a captain say not like this too easy when he defeats you and walk away letting you live? lol that was awesome and unexpected.
Hahaha that is awesome. Only thing close to that for me is that I was on low Heath and on the ground. This SHOULD trigger the QTE for a finishing blow on you but the uruks and their collision detection prevented each other from starting it. Since they couldn't finish the job I just got back up after the bit of recovery.

Another story: I drew out a warchief and a chief was with him. I couldn't seem to brand the chief so I said fuck it and killed him. Warchief goes, "I didn't like him anyways!"

FtHTiny

Anyone ever have a captain say not like this too easy when he defeats you and walk away letting you live? lol that was awesome and unexpected.

Haha, never happened to me. Most of the time the unexpected assissins have no chance and finish me off straight away.

I love the little details in this game. Like for example I decided to take a captain hostage cause I was outnumbered. A fellow Orc attacks anyway and he replies, "Hit him fool not me." He hits him again, "You have to get behind him!" The Orc kills the captain, guess that's how he really felt!

Just the dialog you overhear from the uruks talking about your death or how they need to be alert to my ranged attacks. Little touches like this make the game so great. I would like to see either the combat or traversal change in the next game. The reason I feel many feel it's repetitive is because we all have played so many AC & Batman games.

i think Unity going to have a hard time this fall cause we already have this. If their promises aren't fully realized like the Nemesis system I can see the backlash being unkind

Edit:

This was my first death actually. I was confused at first. There was a couple people around so he didn't finish me but another Orc did and was promoted.

negitoro7

Apologies if this has been asked many times:

What does the game actually want you to do during those quicktime circle prompts to ride a caragor or during last-chance prompts?

Spin the circle fast? slow? move your cursor inside the circle before the circle timer is up?

FtHTiny

What does the game actually want you to do during those quicktime circle prompts to ride a caragor or during last-chance prompts?

Spin the circle fast? slow? move your cursor inside the circle before the circle timer is up?

Move it inside and then press the button that shows up. I was confused at first as well.

You have to move the cursor into the circle and hit the button prompt that pops up when you get the cursor in, before the time runs out.

Venfayth

move cursor into the circle and then push the button that displays

Apex_Predator

Neo Member
Just picked this game up today. Can't wait to really sink some time into it. Looks great from all of the Twitch streams that I've watched. Wish they would've focused more on the story, though.

Still loving this game after 9 hours. I've only done 4 story missions so far, been liking the side stuff and just randomly wandering and getting into battles

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
BzH7UyhIQAAThUj.jpg:large

Hes at the stronghold where ratbag is, hes my nemesis, wtf am I gonna do? Its still early in game

allftw

Neo Member
Hes at the stronghold where ratbag is, hes my nemesis, wtf am I gonna do? Its still early in game

Lure him to campfire or something explosive, blow him up (if you have the detonate ability) and then shoot him full of arrows. He should go down pretty easily. Just don't try to engage him in melee combat.

Roshin

I had a mission where I had to interrupt a duel between two orcs. I planted a magical mystery arrow right in the face of one of them and it must have been a crit, because he died instantly. Very satisfying. :D

I had a mission where I had to interrupt a duel between two orcs. I planted a magical mystery arrow right in the face of one of them and it must have been a crit, because he died instantly. Very satisfying. :D

Enemies weak to ranged attacks will die from a single headshot.

Information is strength, and strength is victory.

Bubol the Brewer, this real shit head of an orc, has had his head on a spike for at least 7 or 8 hours in my game and he is still on the ranked as a second tier captain, no one has tried to take his spot even though he is dead.

I really hate the Last Chance QTE. There are far too many variables to see what the fuck is happening. Where is it going to be on the screen? What direction does it want you to push it in? What button prompt it'll ask you for? By the time you've realised 1 or 2 of these things, it's usually too late for the 3rd part. Especially if it's the small circle. Now I know it's an extra chance to stop you from becoming dead but it just becomes frustrating and annoying. At least make that button prompt the same every time.

My only real nemesis was the very first Uruk captain to kill me (because I didn't know what I was doing), and thus far he is the only non-caragor death I've had in the game.

It was satisfying to watch him get cocky only to have me repeatedly hunt him down and stealth kill him. Each time he returned he'd get more and more gross and fucked up looking until he was basically unrecognisable. Then I killed him again and he never came back.

Ever since the other Uruks are just lamers, it's some serious "Legolas in the Desolation of Smaug"-level domination by me and I haven't had a single real nemesis since because none of them has been able to kill me.

But all in all any complaints I have are minor compared to the sheer amount of personality they've managed to infuse into the Uruk society. It's definitely an approach I hope to see more of in other open world games from here on out.

Hystzen

Oh man Duce (douche according to voice acting) really living upto his complainer title.

Interfere in a duel

"Oh great just what I need you harassing me again"

Interfere in a hunt

"Please just leave me alone for once"

Randomly find him in overworld

"Oh good you ! just what I need today is getting worse"

I love this guy keep letting him run away just keep him around

ViviOggi

Just lost my save data of about 13 hours, now that's fucking great. Looks like after exiting last time the game immediately synced an empty save to the Steam Cloud. Reading up on it now this apparently has been an issue since release and nothing has been done to fix it.

Deadly + Explosive shot is a winning combination on a branded Archer-Captain. He practiclaly soloed his Warchief and a stronghold, all while I kept accidentally using a melee finisher on him. What a trooper.

Zadush the Painted (I think) is his name.

Tygamr

I haven't been this addicted to a game in forever. It's so fun hunting down captains. I haven't even done that many story missions yet and I've already played for like 5 hours.

When you bring down the bosses to zero health, rather than executing or ground stabbing them, they get a few last words in...

2014-10-04_00015_zps92f1400f.jpg

Hmm, maybe we're fighting for the wrong side...

2014-10-04_00021_zps4f74e18a.jpg

I never gave him the opportunity to finish his haiku...

axb2013

You don't have to dismount.

If you don't, it's very likely to get killed. One could simply walk or run to the final location, if it weren't for the time limit. I posted that in spoiler tags in case someone else doesn't want to waste 3-4 attempts.

The mission c'n'p from AC is far too obvious, even the icons are very similar. It was funny seeing it copied to the extent that even annoyances and long standing complaints of AC also made it into SoM. Overall, it's a good game but the inevitable sequel shouldn't repeat same mistakes.

Beefy

Went to avenge a random player and ran into 6 captains all protecting the orc that orc that killed him. So couldn't arsed and just walked off.

Do I, as a player, have a specific nemesis? I keep seeing people refer to their personal nemesis. Are people just referring to the orc that is their biggest hassle? Or does the game actually specify that a particular orc is currently one's nemesis? I've played for several hours and never noticed anything that pointed to a particular nemesis.

hbkdx12

Do I, as a player, have a specific nemesis? I keep seeing people refer to their personal nemesis. Are people just referring to the orc that is their biggest hassle? Or does the game actually specify that a particular orc is currently one's nemesis? I've played for several hours and never noticed anything that pointed to a particular nemesis.
The game tells you when u have a nemesis. Usually someone who kills you and moves up the ranks. When you see them in the army screen they'll have a small red arrow over their head

Audioboxer

If a Captain kills you he becomes your nemesis.

Rosur

How many story missions do you have to do to get it?

Just got it in my game its around 11/12 ish.

Game is pretty awesome but fuck Mogou the Destroyer... He's either killed me or one of his followers have every time I try to kill him :( and the worse part is he has this skill which if he's hurt he gets aggressive and seems to regenerate health (and only finishers seem to damage him) and him having a shield doesn't help either.

Top Bottom