• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor |OT| One Title to rule them all

BPoole

The Nemesis System is one of those things that I can't believe it has taken this long to exist. It is so much fun and legitimately makes the game.

denshuu

100%, just need to wrap up a few trophies
3AQmK.gif

Did you get the Severed Hand trophy? I've completed all of the story missions, but I still don't have it.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Credits are rolling as I type this. Can I get some Tolkien experts opinions on the ending?

So, Talion wants to craft a new ring. Is this even possible? And what exactly happened with his eyes at the end?
Certainly possible for him to do such a thing with the aid of Celebrimbor. Celebrimbor's knowledge of ring forging was derived mostly from Sauron, who himself was taught by a higher being.

Regarding the eyes; a sign of further decay of the spirit of Celebrimbor.

Default outfit looks like rags. The Ranger outfit hides his goofy, bland head at least. The orcs had ten times more care put into them than the hero.

At times, I swear he sounds exactly like Boromir.

I've found the Nemesis uruks far more memorable and endearing than any of the original story-related characters, Ratbag and Talion included.

If Talion died offscreen between games I wouldn't even care. Might even make me more excited for the next game, unless it's yet another Aragorn or Legolas stand-in.

GeoGonzo

Yikes, I picked this up on a whim and Im super impressed... now I feel dumb for rolling my eyes whenever I saw that other thread inviting people to board the hype train.

Apex_Predator

Neo Member
How is the Dark Ranger suit not default in this game? It's gorgious! I'm so sad so many will have to miss that :(
I too love the Dark Ranger suit, however, it's kind of ironic that it looks similar to some of the outfits in the AC series. Granted, there's a lot of similarities between this game and the AC series.

Ein Bear

The Dark Ranger costume just looks too much like an Assassin's Creed knockoff to me. The default costume feels much more Lord of the Rings-ey.

Mordudes, I have a recently appointed Warchief that has a blue icon and is apparently waiting on my instructions... I'm 95% positive that I chose only to issue a death threat on another captain when he was a captain himself.

So, some questions:

> Is that what happens when you issue a death threat, or am I recalling incorrectly and did I select another prompt from the domination menu? If so, which one? 'Brand' is unlocked, for what it's worth.

> And more importantly, what exactly can I make him do?

Bump?

Cheers!

MattyG

Banned
Edmond Dantès;132890117 said:
Certainly possible for him to do such a thing with the aid of Celebrimbor. Celebrimbor's knowledge of ring forging was derived mostly from Sauron, who himself was taught by a higher being.

Decay as in he's becoming evil, or becoming weak? I could see a plot point in the sequel being something like Cortana's AI insanity thing in Halo 4, except it effects Talion too.

negitoro7

Last couple of times I've played, I've been getting my ass handed to me by the combination of shielded orcs, spears, captains and archers swarming me.

Those of you who find this game easy: are you taking your time stealth killing tons of them before you go in?

Bump?

Cheers!

Blue = Branded

You can send branded uruks to fight amongst themselves, via "Riot" missions, or have them attempt to infiltrate a Warchief's ranks via killing a bodyguard or proving his worth as a bodyguard through similar missions. If he becomes a warchief, he (along with his bodyguards) can riot against others, including other warchiefs.

Death threats, on the other hand, make the target stronger and give them a gang of uruk followers at all times. Doing so yields better rune drops. Any uruk can DT a captain, but only captains themselves can death threat a warchief.

When i do the finisher to explode heads the heads dont explode, glitch?

It won't always explode captain or warchief's heads, if that's what you're asking.

For regular uruks it always should.

Last couple of times I've played, I've been getting my ass handed to me by the combination of shielded orcs, spears, captains and archers swarming me.

Those of you who find this game easy: are you taking your time stealth killing tons of them before you go in?

Headshot shield/berserker uruks, roll around/vault to ranged enemies (or snipe them too) and attack captains via their weakness. Or snipe them.

Sniping is almost always the answer.

Stealth killing a bunch is next to pointless, because when you start fighting the orc you're after, the game will spawn a bunch of his buddies out of thin air wherever the camera isn't facing.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Decay as in he's becoming evil, or becoming weak? I could see a plot point in the sequel being something like Cortana's AI insanity thing in Halo 4, except it effects Talion too.
Both weakness and corruption. Tolkien postulated that disembodied spirits who turned down the summons of Mandos were exposed to the counter-summons of the Dark Lords. With Sauron's influence over Celebrimbor increasing and Celebrimbor's own lust for vengeance driving him on; the increased likelihood of Celebrimbor following the path to utter ruin.

Edmond Dantès;132892055 said:
Both weakness and corruption. Tolkien postulated that disembodied spirits who turn down the summons of Mandos were exposed to the counter-summons of the Dark Lords. With Sauron's influence over Celebrimbor increasing and Celebrimbor's own lust for vengeance driving him on; the increased likelihood of Celebrimbor following the path to utter ruin.

So then... Shadow of the Shire is a likely sequel! Talion'll hunt the Ringbearer as Celebrimbor goes mad.

Jrmint

Is there a way to stop the Captains from blowing their horn when you're fighting them?

I just started the game and it's frustrating to get them down to about 50 or 60% health, and then 5 other guys show up and you die and the captains level up.

Is this something that isn't an issue as you go forward or how do you guys deal with it?

cackhyena

Headshot shield/berserker uruks, roll around/vault to ranged enemies (or snipe them too) and attack captains via their weakness. Or snipe them.

Sniping is almost always the answer.

Sniping is almost never the answer concerning captains on my end. The majority of them are Invulnerable to arrows.

Kyoufu

Shadow Strike is so awesome. Is there a way to be able to spam it? Like with Runes that give back Elf-Shots after kills?

Corpekata

Banned
Shadow Strike is so awesome. Is there a way to be able to spam it? Like with Runes that give back Elf-Shots after kills?

Once you have the talent for the combat drain and the combat counter reduced to 5, probably. Get your Elf shot to 10, 5 Shadow Strikes, combat drain. That won't get you back up to 10 though, but I'm sure with some runes it'd be a bit more doable.

Sanctuary

How is Alien? Been tempted to buy it at some point..

You might want to watch the Gamespot review. I know a lot of people prefer GAF opinions, but quite often GAF suffers from major hype(rbole) in regards to brand new releases. I was really looking forward to Isolation myself, but upon watching that review I think I'll pass and just play games from my back catalog until The Evil Within is released in ten days.

I too love the Dark Ranger suit, however, it's kind of ironic that it looks similar to some of the outfits in the AC series. Granted, there's a lot of similarities between this game and the AC series.

LOL. I had a friend over to demo the game and I kept telling him how it was entirely Assassin's Creed with Batman combat. I then said "watch this", and switched to the dark ranger skin and he started laughing. It was as if Monolith was saying "Yeah, we know it's true, so may as well go all the way!".

Stealth killing a bunch is next to pointless, because when you start fighting the orc you're after, the game will spawn a bunch of his buddies out of thin air wherever the camera isn't facing.

Huh? Normally they only spawn bodyguards or extra units (if you sent a death threat). I don't recall ever seeing random grunt orcs spawning out of thin air for no reason. What I have seen however is random elites plus extras spawning out of thin air while I'm in the middle of fighting another, when the one I'm currently fighting was the only one around for miles. The zergling rush happens if the alarm was sounded. You can either try to kill off whatever orc is running to sound the alarm (flame like icon above their head) or just try fighting next to the alarm rope and kill whoever ends up getting the icon and is trying to light it.

I cannot believe how shit the remote play controls for this game are, and how easy it would be to fix. Literally just swapping the triggers on the Vita for L2/R2 instead of L1/R1 would make them good.

I sent a warchief i branded to make a deaththreat to a captain

I had to go to some location where he would show up, and i had dominate him. But after I do, the mission just ends without any other indication. It just loops back into me going to that location again, and redominate him again

BouncyFrag

The Nemesis System is one of those things that I can't believe it has taken this long to exist. It is so much fun and legitimately makes the game.
I'm interested in the tech/programming behind the system since it will be limited in the PS360 versions of the game.

Sanctuary

I sent a warchief i branded to make a deaththreat to a captain

I had to go to some location where he would show up, and i had dominate him. But after I do, the mission just ends without any other indication. It just loops back into me going to that location again, and redominate him again

After you brand a Captain or Warchief for the first time, they will vanish and sometimes appear not too far away from you or they simply vanish and you need to find them again through the map or a mission. Dominating them again is to give them orders. It's kind of silly in that regard. You already branded them. Their will is already yours to command, yet you have to physically grab and rebrand them to give commands...

kanuuna

After completing the game 100%, I though this could be the first game I might get the Platinum Trophy for. But after trying to get the 'A Mighty Doom' trophy for the last two hours, I'm pretty sure I won't bother.
What a complete waste of time. I didn't think receiving Epic Rune drops instead of regular ones with levels attached to them could be this much of a bother.

Also, getting nothing for completing the game 100% is a bummer. All I wanted was a different skin, to be honest.

Arken2121

So after a 7 hour session I decided to play through the story.
Love Talion's relationship with Ratbag.
It's genuine and hilarious at the same time. The Nemesis system has really made this game into something more than just an Open-world Action RPG. Monolith, you have earned my praise.

After you brand a Captain or Warchief for the first time, they will vanish and sometimes appear not too far away from you or they simply vanish and you need to find them again through the map or a mission. Dominating them again is to give them orders. It's kind of silly in that regard. You already branded them. Their will is already yours to command, yet you have to physically grab and rebrand them to give commands...

well that's dumb

I fast forwarded some time and my warchief still hasn't initiated his threats either, yet.

nynt9

Edmond Dantès;132890117 said:

Is it possible for him to craft a new ring and that to somehow still fit within the canon?

bryanee

Well for the first time my nemesis turns up out of nowhere as Im about to fight a war chief. Now that was an intense battle. I fist pumped like I have never fist pumped before when I took them out.

BouncyFrag

How limited are we talking?
From: www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive...esis-system-handicapped-for-ps3-xbox-360.aspx
"Some of the stuff we’re pretty confident will still be very similar on current gen: the core mechanics, like combat, stealth, ranged and movements; the basic control and gameplay, that should all be really solid," he said. "What it won’t have is the same level of depth and variety and simulation within the Nemesis system. The story will be the same and the core gameplay will be the same, but [the Nemesis system is] just so huge in terms of content, calculations and AI we’ll just have to try and get as much of it in as we can."

Whoa how'd you do that?

It's the Caragor Hunter upgrade. You get it in one of the story missions. It's a little weird getting them to charge you correctly, especially if you're facing multiple, but once they do it's Hulk Hogan vs. Andre The Giant in front of 90,000 screaming Hulkamaniacs, brother!

BouncyFrag

Just when you think this game couldn't get any better they give you a Caragor body slam.

*snip*

King of the Mordor jungle.
Okay, now I have to put that point into unlocking that. The leveling system is just great. Every time I unlock something it instantly adds to the gameplay even if its just at level one.

Ah, man.

I thought branding your Warchief's bodyguards and turning them on him would be more "eventful" than them merely fighting as more or less normal branded Uruks; like maybe a cutscene or some sort of double team execution that hurts him significantly.

Bummer.

Amazing Game. I love how unique and varied the orcs look. I once met an Uruk who had no weaknesses. He even Said to me,"You cant Burn me and You cant Kill me, What are you going to do now?" It was amazing. I thought I had Killed him but that wasn't the case. I have met him so many times and yet he still lives. The Nemesis System is amazing and I hope that more game developers start to utilize this system in their games. It adds variety and excitement.One Uruk I met had the appearance of a Raven. he was so bad-ass I decided to brand him. I really love this game and it is one of the best purchases in games that I've made in awhile

Auctopus

Quick question, probably been asked before and I think I already know the answer but I just wanna check...

The game dumps you back in to the open world once the story's over, yeah?

Rembrandt

Banned
Fuck Feldush the Venomous. We only fought once, but he spared me and he's disappeared ever since. I killed his two bodyguards and just sent a death threat out to him, so hopefully he shows up since the game's telling me to go to a mission that doesn't exist and he's not in his little green area. This game is so fun, guys. The stun when you leap over enemies and the stun that happens when you counter people are OP, though. I've definitely died a decent amount of times, but the combat is kinda easy. Might cut off the indicators when I get to the next area. So far, my only complaint is the climbing/agility. It's kinda clunky and it's kind of annoying when you're trying to jump to a wire but he swandives right next to it or through it. Other than that, this game is fucking great. It does get repetitive at times, but the combat is so fun that I don't even mind. I am starting to avoid needless battles and stuff, though. I get more annoyed by how long it takes to kill an entire group rather than worrying about getting overpowered. I wouldn't complain if there were more combat options, but it's a very solid foundation for a sequel. A much better first offering than AC. It's probably on par with Batman, if not a little better and I'm not even a fan of LotR. The nemesis system is great and a very great example of "next-gen gaming."

Top Bottom