• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor |OT| One Title to rule them all

JohnGrimm

The Dark Ranger costume just looks too much like an Assassin's Creed knockoff to me. The default costume feels much more Lord of the Rings-ey.
I wish I had the Captain skin, since that's pretty much Talion's pre-murder outfit. I hate the tattered cape so much.

fedexpeon

Banned
Shadow Strike is such a smart utility move.
I can't believe I have never seen or play anything like that before.
It can do it all!
I can travel 300-400 yrds after a fast travel by aiming at an orc in that general direction.
I can blink kill multiple guys to cut down their numbers.
I can stun after an injured captain to prevent them from escaping.
I can escape a stronghold by shooting some random orc outside the encampment.
And the best part, I can instant mount on a graug/carago for more carnage.

Greatest utility skill I have ever used in a game.

Finster

Is there a consensus on any of the three versions being more definitive than the others? Otherwise, I'm thinking of picking this up for PS4. Or is there something that makes this a superior choice on PC or Xbone?

antitrop

I would say those slave rescue missions are more of a drag than the story mission, at least they have some variety.

It doesn't get much worse than collecting a bunch of Herbs and then following a guy around to go collect more Herbs... and then again...

And the forced scripting during the story missions removes the dynamic flow of the Nemesis system. They really drag the whole game down.

Truant

Got this on friday, played for about two hours, then kinda forgot about it.

I'll give it another chance, but I'm not really feeling the need to go back. Movement and combat felt kinda sluggish, and the environment was just drab and boring to look at (although I just hung around the starter area).

Maybe it'll click with me after I spend some more time with it tomorrow.

I would say those slave rescue missions are more of a drag than the story mission, at least they have some variety.

Some of those slave rescue missions are really fun though. One of them had me brand all the archers at a stronghold first. And I had to activate them when some other group of orcs came in. They got picked off one by one by the archers and I just stood there and watched. It was beautiful.

antitrop

Got this on friday, played for about two hours, then kinda forgot about it.

I'll give it another chance, but I'm not really feeling the need to go back. Movement and combat felt kinda sluggish, and the environment was just drab and boring to look at (although I just hung around the starter area).

Maybe it'll click with me after I spend some more time with it tomorrow.

Combat system turns into a total badass simulator as you unlock abilities.

It's the point where the combat alone is so much fun that I just run into a Stronghold and stir up trouble just to get into a fight. It's great. So fluid and smooth, incredibly satisfying.

You definitely have to give it some time.

Loomba

Is there any special benefit of the sword flowing after the 8 hits? Did the sword get stronger our it's it just to tell you that you can execute someone?

BigDug13

I cannot believe how shit the remote play controls for this game are, and how easy it would be to fix. Literally just swapping the triggers on the Vita for L2/R2 instead of L1/R1 would make them good.

Agreed. Unplayable on Vita. I wish they would fix that since this seems like a game I could fuck around in for awhile.

Let me remap getting into the map to back touchpad and remap some things to front touch.

Let's put it this way. Whoever decided that L1 and R1 should be mapped to L1 and R1 Vita while the triggers, you know, those two buttons that are primary in basically EVERY game should be mapped to back touchpad should be fired.

The story missions are the low point of this game. Everything else is awesome.

They're really uninspired. The story missions should've been huge convergence points between your faction of human or Orc allies and everything else (either beasts or Sauron's army), or multiple warring factions with Talion in the middle making a mess. The engine is capable of big numbers but, so far, hasn't really put it to use in a mission set piece.

Really though, the majority of open world games have really bland mission design, especially these action/adventure Assassin's Creed/Batman offspring. They're either too scripted and cut off from the world randomness, or too bland. I don't even remember the last time I was remotely impressed by an open world game mission.

Doesn't come close to ruining this game though.

antitrop

Is there any special benefit of the sword flowing after the 8 hits? Did the sword get stronger our it's it just to tell you that you can execute someone?

It doesn't get stronger, just telling you that you can press Circle + Triangle to Execute (and other combos unlock later on, like Square + X, or Circle + X). There's also an upgrade that reduces the number from 8, to 5 (or just one Brutalization).

I think there's an ability you can unlock that when it's glowing it does more damage, other than that and the execution move I dont think so

There are certain (unlockable) skills that become available when you hit the kill streak. The execute is one of them, you can also use a flame arrow, one gives you a quick drain in combat,... And then the really high tiers of skills have you do things like 20 secs of unlimited executes, 20 secs of invisibility, and so on.

magereaper

Neo Member
gee.png

I don't have any friend named Jesus...at least I don't recall.

If I had to kill an uruk named Judas, I would be scared :S

magereaper

Neo Member
Lol I'm surprised if that's a console, because PSN/Xbox Live I thought blocked shit like this. If it's steam though

Steam...guess someone's on a crusade against Sauron...

[EDIT]

Plus, there are two friends on Steam playing SoM, none of them has "Jesus" in their profile. I'm guessing it's a placeholder string and the friend name didn't loaded. It's a lot to guess though...

Why would that be blocked? It's a common Spanish name. Nothing offensive about it.

It's a blocked word. In fact I just checked for PSN ID's online and it doesn't exist, I doubt that nobody has tried getting it before. They do it specifically because, even if it's a common name in spanish, in english xbox live it'd be used almost entirely to piss off christians and why bother fighting the good fight when you can prevent it all together.

leng jai

Yeah the story and mission design is garbage in this game and that's coming straight from Destiny. Pretty disappointing for a LOTR branded game. If this game had a meaty campaign it would be a strong GOTY contender, but now it's mostly for people who really like the Nemesis system.

Sanctuary

Shadow Strike is such a smart utility move.
I can't believe I have never seen or play anything like that before.
It can do it all!
I can travel 300-400 yrds after a fast travel by aiming at an orc in that general direction.
I can blink kill multiple guys to cut down their numbers.
I can stun after an injured captain to prevent them from escaping.
I can escape a stronghold by shooting some random orc outside the encampment.
And the best part, I can instant mount on a graug/carago for more carnage.

Greatest utility skill I have ever used in a game.

I take it you never played Dishonored? Mass Effect 2/3?

There are runes that have a chance to restore health (I had one with 85% to restore all health) once you hit a specific hot streak number, usually above 30 or so. You also get runes that increase your damage at specific breakpoints, such as +20% damage at hot streak 15 - 29 then +20% - +30% damage at hot streak 30+.

antitrop

Most boring mission of the year: Push the Grog Cart... up a hill.

EDIT: At least there's a nice payoff once you actually get the cart to where it needs to go. :p

Bydobob

Well I've just been playing for 4 hours on my first go and had to force myself to stop or I would have played all night. My scientific way of telling me this game is enormous fun. I love the style but there's plenty of substance underneath. I must've engaged about a thousand enemies in that time and the combat didn't feel stale once. I'm not getting very far though because as soon as I get killed I'm on a revenge mission to get the bastard who killed me, story progression be damned.

Game looks great for what it does, reading all the hooha in the other threads I was expecting this to be ugly as a bag of spanners. Very pleasantly surprised indeed.

Apex_Predator

Neo Member
Last couple of times I've played, I've been getting my ass handed to me by the combination of shielded orcs, spears, captains and archers swarming me.

Those of you who find this game easy: are you taking your time stealth killing tons of them before you go in?
I stealth kill and headshot a good amount of enemies. However, I have been involved in some major duels in those strongholds. Combat seems pretty easy to me, but then again, I've been playing AC since the beginning.

I stealth kill and headshot a good amount of enemies. However, I have been involved in some major duels in those strongholds. Combat seems pretty easy to me, but then again, I've been playing AC since the beginning.

Is the combat in the Batman Arkham games that similar to Assassin's Creed? I've always assumed the latter was very basic attack/parry stuff.

Rembrandt

Banned
I'm saving up to buy that one power that lets you do executions for 20 seconds. Worth it or should I go for one of the other two? I think one is fire arrows or something involving archery for 20 secs and the other one is you go completely invisible for stealth.

No.... Its not. The AC combat remarks are idiotic, im sorry. Maybe it has helped people time counters better?

I... see.

I'm saving up to buy that one power that lets you do executions for 20 seconds. Worth it or should I go for one of the other two? I think one is fire arrows or something involving archery for 20 secs and the other one is you go completely invisible for stealth.

Swords: Unlimited melee finishers
Bow: Unlimited arrows/focus time
Dagger: Unlimited stealth/stealth finishers

Grab whichever you think is most useful. They'll all pay off in the end.

-Deimos

I got the archery one first because you can kill more people in 20 seconds with fire arrow than with executions.

Most boring mission of the year: Push the Grog Cart... up a hill.

EDIT: At least there's a nice payoff once you actually get the cart to where it needs to go. :p

That was actually a highlight for me. I branded 4 Caragors and watched them go to town. Total chaos all around me while I was pushing.

antitrop

I got to 49.7% completion before going to the second area. I guess that's the most you can do in the first area.

Second half of the game should be a cakewalk. :p

EDIT: Whoops, found the last slave mission for the remaining 0.3%.

This is the most overrated game I've seen here. It's just frustrating to play. I'm doing a main yellow mission (well, I WAS doing it till I just X'd out of the game) where I have to kill 5 supporters with "combat or ground executions". Millions of guys show up and it's just a horrible experience. You can't get any executions off because you're getting hit out of the animation every two seconds. Call me a terrible gamer or whatever but this isn't fun, it's way too fucking hard and frustrating. I'm done with this shit game. I should have bought it on PS4 so I could at least resell it. Each damn encounter takes an hour because a million guys show up due to the alarm. Even when you kill the guy sounding the alarm a new one goes and does it. Wtf is that? I'm done. /ragequit

Also, Branding should have been one of the earlier missions, not fucking 12-13 main missions in.

Yeah pretty sure I remember seeing a rune or ability that said increase damage on higher hit streaks.

-Deimos

This is the most overrated game I've seen here. It's just frustrating to play. I'm doing a main yellow mission (well, I WAS doing it till I just X'd out of the game) where I have to kill 5 supporters with "combat or ground executions". Millions of guys show up and it's just a horrible experience. You can't get any executions off because you're getting hit out of the animation every two seconds. Call me a terrible gamer or whatever but this isn't fun, it's way too fucking hard and frustrating. I'm done with this shit game. I should have bought it on PS4 so I could at least resell it. Each damn encounter takes an hour because a million guys show up due to the alarm. Even when you kill the guy sounding the alarm a new one goes and does it. Wtf is that? I'm done. /ragequit

Also, Branding should have been one of the earlier missions, not fucking 12-13 main missions in.

Can't tell if troll or doesn't know how to counter.

You're a terrible gamer...

Rembrandt

Banned
I... see.

Swords: Unlimited melee finishers
Bow: Unlimited arrows/focus time
Dagger: Unlimited stealth/stealth finishers

Grab whichever you think is most useful. They'll all pay off in the end.

might go ahead with the sword one.

I got the archery one first because you can kill more people in 20 seconds with fire arrow than with executions.

It's unlimited ammo, right?

couldn't you just do the execution you unlock for 8/5 strikes?

Can't tell if troll or doesn't know how to counter.

You're a terrible gamer...

couldn't you just do the execution you unlock for 8/5 strikes?
I can't even get 8 strikes in a row because they're so slow and clunky and there's 10 other orcs right up on my ass. Countering isn't that effective when you have multiple those shield guys that make you use the "A" dodge mechanic which isn't very responsive, so it's not easy to even get up to 8. Plus multiple berserkers too. I'm too old for this hard shit.

Hey now... just because you don't personally like it, doesn't mean it is overrated. You're allowed to have a preference or opinion on a game but don't try to impose it like it is some sort of standard setting opinion.

Hey now... just because you don't personally like it, doesn't mean it is overrated. You're allowed to have a preference or opinion on a game but don't try to impose it like it is some sort of standard setting opinion.
Yeah, clearly my intent was trying to impose my opinion as the de facto one. It wasn't a silly rage-filled post at all. I was totally level-headed and calm when I typed it out.

That was sarcasm. Yes, I know, I wasn't trying to impose my opinion on anything.

This is why I never played the Souls games. They're even harder than Mordor, aren't they? Good lord, I'd rage myself to a heart attack.

-Deimos

I can't even get 8 strikes in a row because they're so slow and clunky and there's 10 other orcs right up on my ass. Countering isn't that effective when you have multiple those shield guys that make you use the "A" dodge mechanic which isn't very responsive, so it's not easy to even get up to 8. Plus multiple berserkers too. I'm too old for this hard shit.

So the game sucks because you're bad at it. ok.

Top Bottom