• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor |OT| One Title to rule them all

ChuckNyce

Which is a shame, cause most if not all the acting is pretty damn solid.

Truth. I really like Torvid's VA in particular, wouldn't mind seeing more of him in the inevitable sequel.

Edit: Woot, top of the page. I'll use my privileged position to say this game is badass. Quickly becoming my GOTY.

Levyne

Banned
53B5olG.png

I played this ALL damn day ><

Rembrandt

Banned
I can't even get 8 strikes in a row because they're so slow and clunky and there's 10 other orcs right up on my ass. Countering isn't that effective when you have multiple those shield guys that make you use the "A" dodge mechanic which isn't very responsive, so it's not easy to even get up to 8. Plus multiple berserkers too. I'm too old for this hard shit.

get that ability that stuns when you vault over enemies and the one that widens the radius on your stun the higher your combo gets. other than that, idk, i don't think the combat is really hard. i do have the problem with the A counter; it's really not that responsive.

fedexpeon

Banned
I can't even get 8 strikes in a row because they're so slow and clunky and there's 10 other orcs right up on my ass. Countering isn't that effective when you have multiple those shield guys that make you use the "A" dodge mechanic which isn't very responsive, so it's not easy to even get up to 8. Plus multiple berserkers too. I'm too old for this hard shit.

You need to use your focus more then.
Take out your bow and headshot them.
Spam Wraith Stun+Wraith combos but don't finish the combo, stop around 5 to dodge/parry.
Jump around/stun some more until you get 8 hits and execution for the win.
You can easily get up to 100 hit+ combo with spamming 1/2 Wraith combos animation.

Or you can just cheese the whole thing by focusing on arrows/focus upgrade+instant execution Drain.
With the right runes combination, you will never run out of focus or arrows.

get that ability that stuns when you vault over enemies and the one that widens the radius on your stun the higher your combo gets. other than that, idk, i don't think the combat is really hard. i do have the problem with the A counter; it's really not that responsive.

You need to use your focus more then.
Take out your bow and headshot them.
Spam Wraith Stun+Wraith combos but don't finish the combo, stop around 5 to dodge/parry.
Jump around/stun some more until you get 8 hits and execution for the win.
You can easily get up to 100 hit+ combo with spamming 1/2 Wraith combos animation.

Or you can just cheese the whole thing by focusing on arrows/focus upgrade+instant execution Drain.
With the right runes combination, you will never run out of focus or arrows.
I'll give it another shot tomorrow, thanks.

Heavy's beyond help. He's too old for this hard shit.

Monolith, please patch in a Mass Effect 3-style story mode so poor Heavy can play through a game he bought. STOP DENYING HIM ACCESS TO THE CONTENT HE SO RIGHTFULLY DESERVES. Skill shouldn't be a barrier to content discovery, and devs shouldn't punish players. Players PAID MONEY for the game, you know.. Devs owe them, and should be making games FOR THEM instead of against them.

Really, if you think about it, Heavy (and players like him) will save gaming - and it's players like him that developers should target. If people play through all the content in the game and enjoy seeing it, they'll be more likely to buy DLC; similarly, if there's no barrier to seeing all content, more players will, in turn, buy the DLC.. ergo Heavy is the future of gaming.

I think in the end this mentality would be win-win for both - players get more game, and developers get more money.

I'd sarcasm tag this post, but in honour of Heavy I'm going to skip it entirely.

Levyne

Banned
It's taken me 14 hours to reach 51% completion. You moved QUICK!

Yeah, it goes faster when you're just beeline-ing from weapon challenge to weapon challenge. And the combat really never got boring, though I feel there were too many of the "save the slave" missions. Don't think the game really needed 24. But again, the motivation for murdering a bunch of orcs never really mattered, put those yellow markers on top over whatever you want Monolith, so lemme just murder things in different ways.

Monolith, please patch in a Mass Effect 3-style story mode so poor Heavy can play through a game he bought. STOP DENYING HIM ACCESS TO THE CONTENT HE SO RIGHTFULLY DESERVES. Skill shouldn't be a barrier to content discovery, and devs shouldn't punish players. Players PAID MONEY for the game, you know.. Devs owe them, and should be making games FOR THEM instead of against them.

Really, if you think about it, Heavy (and players like him) will save gaming - and it's players like him that developers should target. If people play through all the content in the game and enjoy seeing it, they'll be more likely to buy DLC; similarly, if there's no barrier to seeing all content, more players will, in turn, buy the DLC.. ergo Heavy is the future of gaming.

I think in the end this mentality would be win-win for both - players get more game, and developers get more money.

I'd sarcasm tag this post, but in honour of Heavy I'm going to skip it entirely.

Come on man, was this really necessary?
They're have been a lot of games I've played where I loved the art, style, and story and was barred from finishing it do to a skill gap. Theres nothing wrong for a mode for all players. As long as it doesn't hurt you experience I don't know why you should be so hostile to someone who wishes they could enjoy there's

This game is freakin' awesome! It really snuck up on me. I bought it on a whim since I thought "well I love the batman games and I love LOTR, why the hell not". As for combat this is what I do;

Shadow strike shield, spear, or archer assholes
Wraith palm stun/vault stun regular or shield orcs, critical strike to build red combo meter. Execute beserkers or hell even caragors. When, I run out of elf shots I build red combo meter and instant drain. I don't know if this has been mentioned, but after you instant drain an Orc, if his head doesn't explode hold down R2 and hit triangle to brutalize him. This will scare the shit out of surrounding orcs causing some of them to run off and thereby thinning the pack. It also adds combo. Bad ass simulator indeed.

The nemesis system is awesome. I can really see this system used in a lot of games in the future.I bet the dark souls guys are shaking their heads thinking "why the hell didn't we think of that?". The only thing that would make this game a ten is original LOTR battle music and the exclusion of the ghul (sp). Those things suck.

ChawlieTheFair

pip pip cheerio you slags!
It does get a bit easier at the end once you have the unlocks, but the combat was always very satisfying to me.

I'm in the second area now, and I gotta say sometimes the spam where random captains start running in could get annoying more than fun.

Tagg9

^ And people was concerned this game would be considered too easy.

To be fair, it sounds like some people did find it too easy. But I agree that they probably should have some difficulty setting that at least affects AI or the number of simultaneous attackers.

I've resigned myself to the fact that I'm going to end up being pure casual filth in a few years. It is what it is. I would've ate Mordor up back in the day.

Arrrammis

I'm in the second area now, and I gotta say sometimes the spam where random captains start running in could get annoying more than fun.

Being totally surrounded by captains only really happens to me when I tunnel vision on a target. Most of the time I take a few minutes to scout out the area and mark any nearby captains. Usually I'll find 1 or 2 on the second look that would have devastated me if I had not seen them coming. Then I prioritize them based on who is easiest to take out quickly, and move in... well... like a wraith.

Skyzard

Banned
This is the most overrated game I've seen here. It's just frustrating to play. I'm doing a main yellow mission (well, I WAS doing it till I just X'd out of the game) where I have to kill 5 supporters with "combat or ground executions". Millions of guys show up and it's just a horrible experience. You can't get any executions off because you're getting hit out of the animation every two seconds. Call me a terrible gamer or whatever but this isn't fun, it's way too fucking hard and frustrating. I'm done with this shit game. I should have bought it on PS4 so I could at least resell it. Each damn encounter takes an hour because a million guys show up due to the alarm. Even when you kill the guy sounding the alarm a new one goes and does it. Wtf is that? I'm done. /ragequit

Also, Branding should have been one of the earlier missions, not fucking 12-13 main missions in.

I did that mission just recently (still way off branding lol, think I've got like 4 missions to go) and I HAD to run away twice, break their line of sight and try battling in a different area and with less of them. Lure them to traps like the bees and the fire to cull the numbers.

antitrop

I've resigned myself to the fact that I'm going to end up being pure casual filth in a few years. It is what it is. I would've ate Mordor up back in the day.

I've found that you can mostly button mash your way through any combat scenario that involves only basic Orcs. (Though it's obviously better to go for Critical Hits, mashing is still viable when you're feeling lazy)

And then once you get Vault Stun, that takes care of any Uruk that isn't immune to it.

And then once you get Shadow Strike, it's basically cheating. Decapitates full health Uruks merely by looking at them and pressing L2 + Square.

Just get better is all really anyone can say. I beat the entire game start to finish with no counter icons at all and loved it. You just have to know when a good time to execute someone is. And it's not like your stuck in that execution animation as you can counter at any time. Attempt ground execution, if someone comes to interrupt, counter their attack and execute them and go back to the first guy. Or grab a guy and throw him to the ground and do the execution.

There are plenty of choices and it sounds like you want to be lead the exact way to the finish line which may make this a game not for you.

axb2013

Branding the 5th chief and consecutive gameplay felt like AT&T acquiring DirecTV.
Talion, Inc™ just became too powerful with the unlocks I had at that point.

Just finished the game. The last words uttered probably caused hardcore LOTR fans to go into rage mode.

I loved the VA in the game. I could listen to the quote "Make this Uruk scream and his master shall answer" all day long.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
just saw this at my mate's house, he got a 780 and I must say graphics are really impressive. Detailed, shiny, fluid, appealing, very next gen. Locked 60 fps (30 during ingame cutscenes, which was weird) , too, which is something I havent seen since forever, being a long time AMD user. The writing seemed surprisingly good, as well, altho he got me through the prologue/tutorial only. Very pleasanty surprised by this game, I might even end up buying it. And a 780 along with it

sjay1994

Wow....

Just beat the game.

Final boss is anticlimactic as fuck.

Here I am expecting this epic battle between Nolan North and Troy Baker

Only for Nolan North to kill himself to summon Sauron.... who I beat in a quick time event

God Damnit Monolith.

Levyne

Banned
just saw this at my mate's house, he got a 780 and I must say graphics are really impressive. Locked 60 fps (30 during ingame cutscenes, which was weird) , too, which is something I havent seen since forever, being a long time AMD user. The writing seemed surprisingly good, as well, altho he got me through the prologue/tutorial only. Very pleasanty surprised by this game, I might even end up buying it. And a 780

The cutscenes are prerendered so that explains the framerate difference and "softness" to those images.

I thought the VA was good but the dialogue just seemed like a sort of space-filler, if that makes sense. It felt like half the time that Talion and Celebrimbor/Hirgon/Torvin were just reciting independent lines to each other, if that makes sense.

Wow....

Just beat the game.

Final boss is anticlimactic as fuck.

Here I am expecting this epic battle between Nolan North and Troy Baker

Only for Nolan North to kill himself to summon Sauron.... who I beat in a quick time event

God Damnit Monolith.

Yeah, it's almost too much of a whiff to even be mad. It's not like the ending is a swing-and-a-miss, it's like they didn't even pick up the bat, lol.

The Wraith lines + sound effects mixed with the Dualshock 4 controller speaker are so satisfying.

FORFEIT YOUR MIND woooooooooooshhhhhhh

I never got tired of that either!

I loved the VA in the game. I could listen to the quote "Make this Uruk scream and his master shall answer" all day long.

The Wraith lines + sound effects mixed with the Dualshock 4 controller speaker are so satisfying.

dmr87

just saw this at my mate's house, he got a 780 and I must say graphics are really impressive. Detailed, shiny, fluid, appealing, very next gen. Locked 60 fps (30 during ingame cutscenes, which was weird) , too, which is something I havent seen since forever, being a long time AMD user. The writing seemed surprisingly good, as well, altho he got me through the prologue/tutorial only. Very pleasanty surprised by this game, I might even end up buying it. And a 780 along with it

Pro tip, buy a GTX970.

antitrop

This game has to be the best usage of the DS4 speaker, yet, right?

It's fantastic. I'm glad I turned the volume all the way up in the options. Default is stupid quiet.

Did everything but those slave missions, because they blow, and some random achievements like 25 rune.

16 hours.

It's a fun game for sure. It's really easy though, would have still appreciated a harder difficulty level.

The (halfway through spoilers)
branding should have probably been introduced earlier. Also the story isn't anything to write home about.

It's a good thing the game is pretty fun. Still top 10 for me this year.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
The cutscenes are prerendered so that explains the framerate difference and "softness" to those images.

I thought the VA was good but the dialogue just seemed like a sort of space-filler, if that makes sense. It felt like half the time that Talion and Celebrimbor/Hirgon/Torvin were just reciting independent lines to each other, if that makes sense.

sorry that was badly worded, i meant interactive cutscenes (him training with his son, him kissing his wife..). I noticed they dropped to 30, am i correct? Found it a little weird

Pro tip, buy a GTX970.

interesting! very out of the loop when it comes to Asus, and I need a new card, so 970 is in my cart for sure

sjay1994

This game has to be the best usage of the DS4 speaker, yet, right?

It's fantastic. I'm glad I turned the volume all the way up in the options. Default is stupid quiet.

Since I am a university student, I play my games with headphones in the controller so I don't disturb my room mates.

So last night, I wanted to figure out how to get a trophy, so I took the headphones out of the controller (I am using a PC monitor with no speakers so no sound comes from it) and plug them into my laptop so the start up doesn't wake them up.

So while this is going... I brand an orc only to freak out when my controller is yelling

SUFFER TO ME!!!

roomates woke up in the end

Just to confirm, Gaf, branded Captains don't do anything special other than showing up and fighting for you, do they? No cinematics of them revolting, etc? Seems like simply killing them is the better option.

Much obliged!

antitrop

nah, you can do it without them being stunned. it just seems so fucking iffy. I don't know if it's the attack button when the sword hits the enemy or what.

I find it works fine if you press the attack button very rhythmically. But yeah, it's not really very clear.

Unai

nah, you can do it without them being stunned. it just seems so fucking iffy. I don't know if it's the attack button when the sword hits the enemy or what.

I was trying after the last attack animation was finished, like Batman. I'll try this way, thanks.

Skyzard

Banned
That first guy who killed me with the exploding arrows has become my nemesis even though I really wished and hoped he wasn't going to be.

He just shows up out of the blue with another bandage on his face (lots of in-vulnerabilities and the only thing I can do is stealth kill) fires a shot and I lose most of my health.

Always takes priority when he shows, hate that bugger.

Should be picking up the game in the next couple of days. A sucker for anything involving Middle Earth and what I have seen and heard all looks fantastic.

Question though, I've heard a couple people recommend skipping two skills. I think they are called "Wraith Finisher" and "Swift Finisher". Apparently they cut down the amount of animations for finishes with the head explode and much swifter ones. Would prefer to stick with the slower sword wielding animations.

Rembrandt

Banned
I find it works fine if you press the attack button very rhythmically. But yeah, it's not really very clear.

Is it when the sword hits or after? I seen it said only hit x during an attack once, but the timing is kinda hard. I just randomly land criticals.

I was trying after the last attack animation was finished, like Batman. I'll try this way, thanks.

That's how I normally try, too. hopefully you nail it because it comes in handy.

graywolf323

well I just died for the first time, two Captains teamed up to take me down (neither of which was in the area he was supposed to be in)

in fact they were both on the opposite side of the map from where they were supposed to be, what's the point of showing a target area for when you are trying to take out a Captain if they just show up wherever?

Top Bottom