• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor |OT| One Title to rule them all

Dawg

141254733538245uym.png

MOTHER OF GOD

cackhyena

What I didn't like about City at least (haven't played Origins yet) is that much of the additions were superfluous at best. Rocksteady seemed to think more must equal better and so they bolted on a bunch of crap that was mostly useless through the majority of the game just to be able to truthfully claim that it had more options than Asylum.

Not really looking forward to City 2 as much as the rest of GAF, because the first game just demolished the pacing, atmosphere and narrative excellence that Asylum had.
Pacing, yes. Atmosphere? No way. City felt like the natural evolution overall, pacing issues aside.

Sanctuary

I beat AA in 2009, then again in 2011 after shelving City at the 80% point due to being bored to tears. I mostly wanted to replay AA just to see if I was just suffering series fatigue already, but that wasn't the case. Just picked up AA for $5 on Steam last week, because I was planning on replaying the series anyway and because I wanted to see how it looked on PC with the added physX effects (already had the other two games on PC). Looks so much better, but the textures are still ass console textures.

Anyway, I decided to start replaying it last night after finishing Shadow of Mordor, since I was having so much fun with the Mordor combat. And holy shit is the combat in the first game boring as hell, even though the combat in this game was directly lifted from it.

Pacing, yes. Atmosphere? No way. City felt like the natural evolution overall, pacing issues aside.

No way. The first game had such a killer, Bioshock 1 atmosphere that was leagues better. City felt like an evolution if they were trying to get you to feel like you were Batman in the comics or the cartoon series gliding around the city like he does in those. In terms of games as their own seperate entities however, AA utterly destroyed City for atmosphere.

Linkyn

Although I bought the game together with Smash on Friday morning, I only started playing a few hours ago. Essentially spent half the night exploring Mordor and stealth killing Uruks. If I had any doubts about this game before getting it, they're gone now.

I really enjoyed the campaigns in AA and AC, though, while Mordor's leaves me completely flat. As far as I see it, the combat and Nemesis system are all Mordor really has going for it. It feels like Assassin's Creed 1 in the way that it's almost like a glorified tech-demo to show off a unique gameplay system (parkour in AC1, Nemeses in Mordor), and really fails to deliver as a "complete package".

The open-world checklist collectathon structure of the campaign has me longing for the more tightly-paced Metroidvania stylings of Arkham Asylum.

I don't think the Nemesis system can work with a tightly paced campaign though. The whole thing sort of hinges on a loose player driven narrative. I think to make the most of it they need to drop the facade of a deep story and focus on episodic character focused arcs while framing it with a huge army building and deception meta-game. The story needs to be flexible in order to accommodate what the player is doing in the open world and what the Nemesis system is doing in response. Going away from it and the open world in the main missions only goes away from what the game does so well, something that all open world titles seem to love doing. The game should play to its strength.

hittman

Banned
Beat all the campaign missions last night.

1. Nemesis is a neat gimmick and initially (and again once you unlock brand) provides some of those 'ol emergent unique gameplay experiences that people on here are always complaining that they don't see enough of, but the endgame loop of brand captain - do initiation mission to get said captain made a bodyguard - repeat steps 1 and 2 for two more captains - finally betray war chief was getting tedious at best in the final hours for me. The missions where you have to help your branded captains in some way are unfun and worst bugged/broken. The experience a lot of people point to as being awesome, "I was fighting a captain then ANOTHER captain that I thought I had killed earlier showed up! OMG." Isn't enough to sustain the system past hour five or so, at least not for me.

2. Bland art direction with insufficient landmarking. There's essentially two zones and everything blends together in both of them.

3. The less said about the last mission/last zone/end boss "fights" the better. Worse than Destiny. Waltzing into the nearest enemy stronghold without a mission provided more epic moments then the endgame here.

4. Once you get the hit streak perk that lowers the required hits to five, as well as the perk that gives you two executions per hit streak, combat quickly devolves into a nearly never-ending string of hilariously over-the-top beheadings. Was really satisfied with the combat in the game until I hit this point.

5. The resolution of the narrative is that Talion is just some rando who basically didn't matter jack shit to main villains and the other protagonist of the game.
Agreed on your second point. It feels like they just put down buildings on a map, there's no blending or 'lived-in' feeling of the landmarks on the landscape. Even the ruins seem a bit samey.

antitrop

Yep. I finished the game with 8/20 (or was it 24?) because they were the most repetitive, non challenging and unrewarding "missions" in the entire game. The very definition of filler.
This game has some of the worst collectathon filler I've come across since Alan Wake's coffee thermoses and Assassin's Creed 1's flags.

- Hunting Missions (shoot 4 of this animal, shoot 4 of that animal)
- Scavenging Quests (Collect 3 of this color of plant and 2 of this color of plant, and 2 of this color of the other type of plant)
- Artifacts (I guess these are good if you care about the hidden memories imprinted on them, but I sure as fuck didn't)
- Slave missions

And crossing that stuff off your checklist is actually more fun than doing the story missions, because that's where combat and Nemesis system shine through the most.

I don't think the Nemesis system can work with a tightly paced campaign though. The whole thing sort of hinges on a loose player driven narrative. I think to make the most of it they need to drop the facade of a deep story and focus on episodic, character focused arcs while framing it around a huge army building and deception meta-game. The story needs to be flexible in order to accomidate what the player is doing in the open world and what the Nemesis system is doing in response. Going away from it and the open world in the main missions only goes away from what the game does so well, something that all open world titles seem to love doing. The game should play to its strength.
I understand and mostly agree. The Nemesis system is such a unique thing that it really deserves to have its own type of game built around it. I think Mordor playing so closely to the Ubisoft book of open-world design worked against the full potential of the system.

Bydobob

Oh, I like legitimately killed him every time I saw him. I got a bunch of runes off of him. The game will randomly resurrect killed captains, and when you see them next they'll give you a little 'you though you killed me but you couldn't because I'm too tough/you left me for dead and now I'm going to kill you for it!' speech before you fight them. They come back looking slightly different than the last time you saw them- they'll have wounds and scars from previous fights with you. Their appearance always remains consistent though.

How random is it though? I had one captain get resurrected 3 times, but coincidentally he killed me the same amount of times. It seemed to me that the game recognised I'd had several attempts and was playing me for laughs i.e lets even up the score.

The interesting thing is he began life as a weedy non-entity who happened to get lucky with the final blow. Then, as he rose through the ranks he became a formidable opponent, not just better in combat but able to influence other captains and lead them to the fight. It's not often you see emergent gameplay have such tangible consequences.

Gaz_RB

How random is it though? I had one captain get resurrected 3 times, but coincidentally he killed me the same amount of times. It seemed to me that the game recognised I'd had several attempts and was playing me for laughs i.e lets even up the score.

The interesting thing is he began life as a weedy non-entity who happened to get lucky with the final blow. Then, as he rose through the ranks he became a formidable opponent, not just better in combat but able to influence other captains and lead them to the fight. It's not often you see emergent gameplay have such tangible consequences.

Yeah it seems like everytime I absolutely destroy captains, they are beheaded the first time. The ones I have trouble with always seem to come back.

Sanctuary

I understand and mostly agree. The Nemesis system is such a unique thing that it really deserves to have its own type of game built around it. I think Mordor playing so closely to the Ubisoft book of open-world design worked against the full potential of the system.

The whole "sandbox" and "open world" trend that every developer and their grandmother--that were not trying to hybridize every fucking game with a first person element last gen--seemed to want to incorporate was one of the worst things to come out of last gen.

So many developers kept trying to make their game like GTA on top of adding in MMORPG "quests" that do not belong in single player games. I mean, how can people seriously be entertained by some of this shit, and do the developers build the "sandbox" first, then work on all of the padding last, after they realize they only have about eight hours worth of core gameplay? GTA bored me to death after a few hours, as did RDR, as did Infamous.

I groan every time I see the words "free roam" and "open world". I'd rather have quality over quantity.

Sanctuary

I would argue gta v had both quality and quantity.

The problem with me is that I've always been a completionist. Long before any of this achievement/trophy nonsense, and games like that are just awful for someone that's as compulsive as me in that regard. I want to finish everything, and if I start skipping most of the "content", I feel like I'm somehow not finishing the game. But almost all of the side missions bore me to death, so I usually just quit playing entirely. I just chose to say "fuck it" and just started ignoring the missions I didn't mop up with this game, because there wasn't any point and I was almost finished anyway.

Make sure to brand that mofo. He'll come in handy when Monolith releases the inevitable PvP orc battles.

only way to brand him is to find one of those gigantic creatures, find the dude, and kill him with it. You can't bring a caragor because fuck that the caragor will make him angry and you can't grab him lol

This game sometimes, I'm glad this never happened to me

Bunta

Fujiwara Tofu Shop
I just ran into a captain while on a graug and he says, "Had to bring your daddy along, did you? You pathetic weakling!" Yeah, I smashed him.

Levyne

Banned
Take number 2.

This game is FUN. If Monolith was going to hit a homerun with any one aspect of the game, they certainly did with the combat along with the touted nemesis system. I never got bored of killing orcs, even after finishing off the map objectives and the various achievements. I find this was partially due to the progression of combat upgrades as you go through the game. It is immediately obvious how every new ability or rune is going to help the player in an engagement. By the end of the game previously dangerous multi-captain encounters become a lot more viable to survive through, and the number of risks the player can take dramatically increases. The level of difficulty decreases significantly, but I feel that the game never got easy enough to be boring. Especially true if you change your mindset to “can I survive this battle” to “how stylishly can I win this battle?” That all said, once fully powered with all of the upgrades, there isn’t much the game can throw at the player to really pose much challenge.

The addictive combat carries the game through the bland story missions of the game. The voice acting and cutscene animation feel like wasted efforts on this game which really doesn’t seem to want to know what it wants to tell in terms of a plot. The missions just feel like excuses to kill orcs, which for the most part is all I really needed from them, I suppose. Most of the time you’re just given an npc to follow and a general objective to do x of y things while killing orcs. It would have been nice to have a little more variety and a stronger finish to the plot. The game certainly ends on less than a whimper. The ending is so quiet and abrupt that it’s hard to even be mad. But still certainly something that should be much improved in a future entry. The side missions suffer from a similar problem, but I feel that the limited scope of those tasks was generally more acceptable. Specifically, the slight difference in focus of the sword, bow, and dagger side objectives were interesting enough to make me want to complete all of them without it ever really feeling like a chore. The slave-rescue missions did, however, get a little long in the tooth and I found myself counting down how many more I had to do to finish out the bar. Never a good sign. The colored plant collecting also seemed like an undercooked concept. By late game all the plants were just a health restore and the color and type hardly ever mattered.

The size of the maps in the game are also limited, but I didn’t really feel that the scope of the maps was strictly an issue. They were compact enough to not be tedious to cross or explore, but more damning was that they were lacking in interesting landmarks and came across as a somewhat bland. The general aesthetic of the areas were good and some of the vistas in the second map especially were really quite beautiful. It just feels like a waste to pepper the land with same-y looking ruined buildings and strongholds that felt like they could have been randomly generated. It felt like they started with a blank plot of land and took too few passes adding and subtracting from the template.

On the other side of the coin, the orcs found within the nemesis system were highly varied and interesting. Not only that, but the emergent personal storytelling between the various players and their nemeses help to supplement the weakly written story of the game itself. The sharing of unique experiences within this OT is proof enough that the nemesis system, to some extent, provides a more interesting narrative (or at least collection of stories) than what is explicitly written. In fact, I feel like the greatest ‘story missions’ of the game were ones that simply let the player have full control and allowed any method to complete an open-ended goal involving the warchiefs. The game also does a great job in transitioning the player from participant within the nemesis system to director of the orc armies throughout the course of the game. Moving from simply experiencing being hunted by a specific orc or some such and going to manipulating the system through branding was really neat, and I only wish that branding opened up sooner. The late unlock of this ability didn’t really bother me, but I also saved a lot of the side-objectives for the very end of the game and likely didn’t have to wait as long as players that began completing those sorts of things much earlier than I did.

Truly a game that is narrowly focused on its primary gameplay mechanics. The tertiary components are, as a whole, somewhat lacking. Depending on how much you value the aspects of storytelling and world building, that could significantly affect how you take to the game as a complete product. Even the music seemed a bit like an afterthought. The extent to which one enjoys the game's central combat and orc army manipulation systems will determine the extent that they forgive the other shortcomings.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
141254733538245uym.png

MOTHER OF GOD

5222485588_85767a7410_z.jpg

You best come rolling deep when taking him on, bring everyone and I do mean EVERYONE.

only way to brand him is to find one of those gigantic creatures, find the dude, and kill him with it. You can't bring a caragor because fuck that the caragor will make him angry and you can't grab him lol

This game sometimes, I'm glad this never happened to me

That won't work, it says resistant to monster attacks.

antitrop

Completely disagree. I honestly thought it was worse than GTA IV, but not much worse. Rockstar seem to have lost the magic they had in the Vice City/San Andreas days

I thought GTA V improved on IV in almost every way possible, except for the plot. Niko's tale of revenge was more compelling to me than the bank-robbery escapades of three underdeveloped protagonists.

cackhyena

The whole "sandbox" and "open world" trend that every developer and their grandmother--that were not trying to hybridize every fucking game with a first person element last gen--seemed to want to incorporate was one of the worst things to come out of last gen.

So many developers kept trying to make their game like GTA on top of adding in MMORPG "quests" that do not belong in single player games. I mean, how can people seriously be entertained by some of this shit, and do the developers build the "sandbox" first, then work on all of the padding last, after they realize they only have about eight hours worth of core gameplay? GTA bored me to death after a few hours, as did RDR, as did Infamous.

I groan every time I see the words "free roam" and "open world". I'd rather have quality over quantity.
They are entertained, in droves. All those titles you mention sell a lot. Infamous less so, I guess. It works. GTAV and RDR are some of my top games from last gen, easy. But so were games like Portal 1 and 2, Uncharted 2 and other linear games in general. Free roam and open world don't mean there isn't quality there, just means it isn't your thing.

Sanctuary

Make sure to brand that mofo. He'll come in handy when Monolith releases the inevitable PvP orc battles.

I can honestly say that I never ran across an orc with no weaknesses, even among all of the level 20 Warchiefs that had a bunch of immunities. It's too bad the strengths and weaknesses never come into play when it's orc against orc though (like the bodyguard vs Warchief betrayal missions).

Absolutely. It's a tired way of designing open worlds and is really exposed in a game like this where the core of it is dependent on a dynamic relationship between the player, allies, enemies, and random world elements. I think they can blow a sequel wide open and do something really special if they get away from what's become the "open world recipe."

It's still a bunch of stupid fun though.

I would argue gta v had both quality and quantity.

I don't see it. GTAV felt like every other open world game with more money and time thrown at it. Lots of context sensitive animations and voice acting, but the same old same old.

antitrop

Truly a game that is narrowly focused on its primary gameplay mechanics. The tertiary components are, as a whole, somewhat lacking. Depending on how much you value the aspects of storytelling and world building, that could significantly affect how you take to the game as a complete product. Even the music seemed a bit like an afterthought. The extent to which one enjoys the game's central combat and orc army manipulation systems will determine the extent that they forgive the other shortcomings.
I completely agree with this. Mordor is the kind of game that almost anyone can have a ton of fun with and is extremely easy to recommend, but I have no fucking idea how it got a 9.3 from IGN.

Just because the basic combat and Nemesis system are so well done, I can't forgive all the other GLARING shortcomings for a near-perfect score.

I had an insane amount of fun for 15 hours, but now only a bit less than 2/3 through the campaign, I've completely run out of steam to finish the damn thing.

antitrop

I don't see it. GTAV felt like every other open world game with more money and time thrown at it. Lots of context sensitive animations and voice acting, but the same old same old.

The GTA series just has so much personality about it, that it's always been easier to forgive the mission structure. Even the original 2D GTA where you basically had absolutely no real goal and there weren't even really any actual missions.

GTA has ALWAYS done world building better than almost any other game out there.

Levyne

Banned
Jesus Christ missed that part. So yeah he's unbeatable? I don't know if strength/weaknesses apply to other orcs though so maybe bringing your crew to fight him might be the way to go

Seems like you'd have to...whittle him down with regular attacks (stun and the flurry, ending before the combat finishing last hit or some such) and then throw him off a cliff, lol.

Edit: Oh wait, invuln to ALL combat attacks, nevermind ><

just started this today (Destiny still has its hooks in me) and man the combat is fun. I don't think I'm very far into the story or unlocks yet (still don't have the 3rd row of powers yet) but I was wondering something about runes, does the type of kill you do to a captain dictate which type of rune drops? I seem to be only getting dagger and bow runes

MUnited83

For you.
Ripping the head off a captain with the graug eat move is so fucking satisfying.

Also, I was scouting for lower level Uruks to turn into canon fodder bodyguards... found one chilling in a fireplace with a couple of other Uruks. I was just starting to aim and then suddenly a Caragor jumps in, pins the captain down, gives him a bite and in the process he moves the captain to the fire, and then the captain dies of the burns. Amusing.

Levyne

Banned
This post in the steam thread reminded me of another nitpick.

These binary as fuck stealth missions in Shadow of Mordor get pretty stupid. Especially since you have to run all the way back to the mission start point each time you slip up.

I would have loved a quick-restart instead of having to run to the missions start point each time.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Send him a death threat--that'll show him.

Oh my god, you need to do this! Do this and show us what happens.

How quickly does a captain with the Monster Slayer attribute kill Graugs? That would be my first attempt. That and fall damage off of cliffs (can he be grabbed long enough to throw him elsewhere)?

It says resistant to monster damage so that probably won't work. Plus he's got heavy attacks, so I doubt anything will last long against him. As far as throwing goes, don't you need to get them weakened first before you can grab them?

Hmm, maybe you can poison his grog? Also go rolling in with everyone you can, turn his body guards, his archers, his mooks, just throw wave after wave of dudes at him.

Also, if possible record this fight because I want to see it!

Bunta

Fujiwara Tofu Shop
I just grabbed a captain and used him as a shield. One of the shield wielding orcs stabbed him to death.

-Deimos

Seems like you'd have to...whittle him down with regular attacks (stun and the flurry, ending before the combat finishing last hit or some such) and then throw him off a cliff, lol.

Edit: Oh wait, invuln to ALL combat attacks, nevermind ><

No, you can still hurt him with regular attacks. Combat masters aren't invincible, you just can't use finishers.

Dawg, If you were playing on Steam I'd ask you to let him kill you so I could brand him in my game lol.

Joco

Well I'm pretty sure I've come across my first glitch. And a somewhat annoying one at that.

I've been getting ready to kill a Warchief in the second half of the map (Sea of Nurnen), so in preparation for that I've been branding captains and then commanding them so they go through initiation to become a bodyguard for the Warchief I'm after. Usually this sends you on a quest to help your branded Captain succeed and get promoted to bodyguard. I have done this four times previously so it's weird that there's a problem now.

The problem came up when I had a branded Captain and was doing one of those "initiation" missions where the Captain tries to "bully" the other orcs into following him. Every time I started this there are six or so orcs with the yellow markers over their heads, indicating they need to be taken out. The first time I killed all the marked orcs and then my captain just stood there, and the quest didn't end when it should have. I used the wraith vision to check the area and no one else was around. I thought it was weird so I dominated the Captain and sent him to do an initiation again. When I backed out of the "Sauron's Army" screen after the domination it sent me on another initiation quest, the same kind. Same thing happened again - all the orcs were killed but the quest didn't end. So I shut off my PS4, restarted the game and tried it with a different Captain - but it gave me the same glitch. So my plan to take out the Warchief with the help of some bodyguards wouldn't work as it was impossible for me to get one promoted to the rank of bodyguard.

I'm hoping this was just a one time case, it'd be annoying if it was impossible for me get any of my Captains promoted to bodyguard.

Sanctuary

By the end of the game previously dangerous multi-captain encounters become a lot more viable to survive through, and the number of risks the player can take dramatically increases.
Trivial, not viable. Unless by "multi" you mean more than three at a time, which should almost never happen unless you purposely set that up.

The level of difficulty decreases significantly, but I feel that the game never got easy enough to be boring.

The level of difficulty explodes its own head. The game starts out kind of challenging before you have a handful of first tier and a few second tier skills. When you first unlock the final tier and can grab the double special skill, you suddenly feel like a badass ranger.

Once you however start grabbing a bunch of the tier four and five skills the difficulty just starts to plummet, even if it's still "fun". Near the last fourth of the game though I was starting to get extremely bored because there was zero challenge to be found, and I had kept hoping long before entering the second half of the game that there would be even a single fight that would make great use of, or even need some of those skills. There never was.

I also never used the wraith explosion skill. I probably would have stopped playing if I had bothered to use it over executions or combat branding.

antitrop

Trivial, not viable. Unless by "multi" you mean more than three at a time, which should almost never happen unless you purposely set that up.

The level of difficulty explodes its own head. The game starts out kind of challenging before you have a handful of first tier and a few second tier skills. When you first unlock the final tier and can grab the double special skill, you suddenly feel like a badass ranger.

Once you however start grabbing a bunch of the tier four and five skills the difficulty just starts to plummet, even if it's still "fun". Near the last fourth of the game though I was starting to get extremely bored because there was zero challenge to be found, and I had kept hoping long before entering the second half of the game that there would be even a single fight that would make great use of, or even need some of those skills. There never was.

I also never used the wraith explosion skill. I probably would have stopped playing if I had bothered to use it over executions or combat branding.
Yes, very much this.

Once you get double Combat Branding, trivial really is the best word to describe the combat. Don't get me wrong, though, I really did love the 15 hours it took to get to "God Mode". There was a really nice sense of progression. I just happened to burn myself out before I reached the end of the campaign.

Levyne

Banned
Well I'm pretty sure I've come across my first glitch. And a somewhat annoying one at that.

I've been getting ready to kill a Warchief in the second half of the map (Sea of Nurnen), so in preparation for that I've been branding captains and then commanding them so they go through initiation to become a bodyguard for the Warchief I'm after. Usually this sends you on a quest to help your branded Captain succeed and get promoted to bodyguard. I have done this four times previously so it's weird that there's a problem now.

The problem came up when I had a branded Captain and was doing one of those "initiation" missions where the Captain tries to "bully" the other orcs into following him. Every time I started this there are six or so orcs with the yellow markers over their heads, indicating they need to be taken out. The first time I killed all the marked orcs and then my captain just stood there, and the quest didn't end when it should have. I used the wraith vision to check the area and no one else was around. I thought it was weird so I dominated the Captain and sent him to do an initiation again. When I backed out of the "Sauron's Army" screen after the domination it sent me on another initiation quest, the same kind. Same thing happened again - all the orcs were killed but the quest didn't end. So I shut off my PS4, restarted the game and tried it with a different Captain - but it gave me the same glitch. So my plan to take out the Warchief with the help of some bodyguards wouldn't work as it was impossible for me to get one promoted to the rank of bodyguard.

I'm hoping this was just a one time case, it'd be annoying if it was impossible for me get any of my Captains promoted to bodyguard.

Yeah, initiation missions are very buggy, it seems.

MUnited83

For you.
No, you can still hurt him with regular attacks. Combat masters aren't invincible, you just can't use finishers.

Dawg, If you were playing on Steam I'd ask you to let him kill you so I could brand him in my game lol.

I think there's two ranks of Combat Master. The first one blocks finisher, the upgraded one block every melee attack. I had nemesis, Gham The Serpent, that had that. I could spend ages using flurry on him and it wouldn't take the slightest damage.

Top Bottom