• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor |OT| One Title to rule them all

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I haven't been able to play at all the last 2 days. I'm gonna have so many damn net_wrecker vendettas to do.

Sanctuary

Yes, very much this.

Once you get double Combat Branding, trivial really is the best word to describe the combat. Don't get me wrong, though, I really did love the 15 hours it took to get to "God Mode". There was a really nice sense of progression. I just happened to burn myself out before I reached the end of the campaign.

Games like this are also the kind of games that I'm the most at war with myself. I'm a power gamer, yet I also want a challenge. Can't have a challenge if I keep grabbing the most obvious "best" skills first can I? I may eventually replay this like I used to do the no upgrade god mode runs in the first and second God of War games. Aside what is given through the story anyway.

Loxley

Aaannnd roll credits.

Without a doubt my game of the year, Dragon Age will have to really impress me to beat it. Either way, I loved this game start-to-finish. And even though the implication(s) of the ending lead me to believe that the sequel will have an even more absurd story, bring it on. I really can't wait to see how Monolith expands the nemesis system going forward. Now to try and get myself every trophy and then wait for the DLC.

Sanctuary

Are there any benefits to doing all of the weapon legend missions or is it purely cosmetic? Some of the missions are pretty good though.

I said before that there wasn't any benefit, but I might be wrong about that. There's only a cosmetic benefit for doing 10/10, but I think that for 5/10 you unlock a rune slot, but I'm not sure. And yeah, some of the best missions were the weapon missions I think. Some were stupidly easy, but some were pretty demanding too.

Or at least actually somewhat demanding, and fun.

DOWN

Banned
Loving the game. I find the violent combat more enjoyable than Arkham combat. I need to move along in the story but I keep getting distracted. Gotta earn that branding.

BigDug13

But at the same time, you lose R2/RT to crouch.

Assassins Creed Unity is using L2/LT to crouch and honestly that just sounds bizzare.

What they really need to do is provide an option to the player to default to run and use X to walk instead of the other way around.

Spineker

Banned
How quickly does a captain with the Monster Slayer attribute kill Graugs? That would be my first attempt. That and fall damage off of cliffs (can he be grabbed long enough to throw him elsewhere)?

I dunno about Graugs, but it's almost instant with Caragors. I was hunting an orc called Hungrish the Graug Killer last night who had poisoned spears. He was a tough hombre. He killed about 5 Caragors in less than a minute.

MUnited83

For you.
0541EB0176EEBFAC7DB8A50A48BCAAEF14D47816

I hope one day all of my warchiefs can be this way. Politeness shall rule Mordor.

After my Graugr died, my character decided to break the laws of gravity.

-Deimos

I think there's two ranks of Combat Master. The first one blocks finisher, the upgraded one block every melee attack. I had nemesis, Gham The Serpent, that had that. I could spend ages using flurry on him and it wouldn't take the slightest damage.

Can anyone confirm this?

Are you sure he didn't have the health regeneration ability? If you stop attacking him for even a little while, his health will quickly return to full if he has that ability. I doubt the devs would create a perk that renders your main form of attack null.

mdsfx

So are there 2 maps or 1? If there are 2, are you able to freely travel between them? I would hate to move on and lose access to incomplete missions/challenges.

MUnited83

For you.
Can anyone confirm this?

Are you sure he didn't have the health regeneration ability? If you stop attacking him for even a little while, his health will quickly return to full if he has that ability. I doubt the devs would create a perk that renders your main form of attack null.

No health regeneration ability. I also caught him alone after a beast hunt where all his guys ran away or got killed, and I used stun>flurry combo without finisher>stun>flurry combo,etc etc. Got a 180x combo and he didn't lose a single trace. Yeah, complete immunity to melee attacks is a thing :p

BigDug13

But he is a beast killer

Hmm. I missed that when I read through.

Earn a combo on some minions, use the jump/stun on boss, then hit double wraith burn which will cause decent damage due to him being in stun condition, then after the double wraith burns he may still be on the ground and you can do a ground finisher. Double wraith burns on a boss that is stunned or on the ground I found to be faster damage than any other combat finishers.

Or does that count as "combat finisher" when it comes to his immunity?

-Deimos

No health regeneration ability. I also caught him alone after a beast hunt where all his guys ran away or got killed, and I used stun>flurry combo without finisher>stun>flurry combo,etc etc. Got a 180x combo and he didn't lose a single trace. Yeah, complete immunity to melee attacks is a thing :p

........I'm gonna assume it was a bug for now.

Did you eventually kill him?

sjay1994

Yes, Rockstar games, including and especially RDR and GTA V, are mostly exempt from my far-reaching generalizations about open-world game design.

They are the masters.

Going to have to disagree with you on GTAV.

GTAV was the most bloated open world filled with fire and forget and flaccid game mechanics. I find it so bizzare that almost every open world game (especially ubisoft ones) are criticized harshly on GAF for being bloated, but GTA V is heralded as one of the greatest open world games ever.

The GTA games never held my interest much. They were always dumb games I would play at a friends house or borrow for my PSP, turn on the cheat codes, kill everything in site, get bored after 30 minutes and abandon. 5 was the first one I bought and played straight because I bought into the hype, and man what a lackluster game.

I have only bought 3 R* games being RDR, GTAV and Max Payne 3... and I keep feeling RDR was a fluke.

MUnited83

For you.
Looks like the Wii version. Goddamn...
That's the all-in-low version for you! :D (although it doesn't look this bad normally, I went to the guy too fast and textures and such were still loading :p
........I'm gonna assume it was a bug for now.

Did you eventually kill him?

The guy could be hurt by ranged attacks but I didn't have any good ones the time I faced him. I went to the second part of the game, came back, and the guy had turned into a warchief. I just branded a few captain archers as bodyguards and then made them attack him and that was hit.

I don't think it's a bug at all btw, even the text clearly indicates that he is immune to combat attacks AND finishers.

He has a hate of burning. Explosions would only make him stronger

I thought they'd still damage him.... if a bit slower. But yeah, captains with combat master are ridiculously hard to take down. I had a nemesis who I just couldn't shake. Unlike this guy though, he was vulnerable to stealth so I was able to lure him away from his guys and brutalize him.

sjay1994

Best orc ever:

Mk2UYj6.png

That hat. My god, I'd love a short story or some sort of lore about this guy and his backstory. :)

I had a warchief just like that who pushed my shit in twice. So I decided fuck it. I branded all 3 of his body guards and added two more to be initiated and branded them.

Started a betrayl mission, and watched as he was bullied into a corner by all of his "bodyguards".

He even tried to run... and when he did I shadow striked to him and finished him off

-Deimos

That's the all-in-low version for you! :D (although it doesn't look this bad normally, I went to the guy too fast and textures and such were still loading :p

The guy could be hurt by ranged attacks but I didn't have any good ones the time I faced him. I went to the second part of the game, came back, and the guy had turned into a warchief. I just branded a few captain archers as bodyguards and then made them attack him and that was hit.

I don't think it's a bug at all btw, even the text clearly indicates that he is immune to combat attacks AND finishers.

I've had combat masters as well that had the same description and I could still hurt them using regular attacks and flurries. He'd counter my flurry combo at the end but he still took damage from each blow.

I must have been imaging things because I just tested two captains with Combat Master and my sword attacks couldn't damage them.

If anyone on Steam comes across another invincible orc, let me know. I'd like to add him to my collection.

Sanctuary

Looks like the Wii version. Goddamn...

Haha, no shit. I didn't want to say anything because maybe they are playing on a PC on the low setting or something, but my orcs certainly never looked like that.

On second thoughts try poisoning him. I've been able to do that to a couple of captains (both were at a feast) and they die really quickly.

I was just about to suggest that too. Although it really depends on where you're fighting this guy and if he decides to have a drink.

sjay1994

So... I looked up the VA for Celebrimbor because he has an awesome voice.

Mind was blown when I realized he voiced the greatest character in a video game in 2013.

ArmstrongPP.png

conman

Games like this are also the kind of games that I'm the most at war with myself. I'm a power gamer, yet I also want a challenge. Can't have a challenge if I keep grabbing the most obvious "best" skills first can I? I may eventually replay this like I used to do the no upgrade god mode runs in the first and second God of War games. Aside what is given through the story anyway.
I do this for most upgrade-driven games. How viable is a no-upgrade playthrough in this? Does the game allow for this, and if so, is it actually doable and fun that way? I'm waiting on my GTX 970 before diving in, but it would be good to know this stuff before I get too far in.

On second thoughts try poisoning him. I've been able to do that to a couple of captains (both were at a feast) and they die really quickly.

Nah poison will take maybe 20 percent off his bar. He won't drink enough poison to kill himself though. And he will slowly regen his health.

Not OP of picture but I have a similar enemy.

Apparently the only means of death is to
mount a Graug.

Sanctuary

I do this for most upgrade-driven games. How viable is a no-upgrade playthrough in this? Does the game allow for this, and if so, is it actually doable and fun that way? I'm waiting on my GTX 970 before diving in, but it would be good to know this stuff before I get too far in.

It seems like it would be very possible, although at the same time quite boring not having at least the Wraith Stun (tier 1 skill). The game would just revolve around you doing a bunch of standard sword slashes and then backing off or doing a ground kill. It also seems like it would make some of the captain fights needlessly long; which isn't the same as a challenge.

WGMBY

So... I looked up the VA for Celebrimbor because he has an awesome voice.

Mind was blown when I realized he voiced the greatest character in a video game in 2013.

ArmstrongPP.png

NO FUCKING WAY! I'll never be able to listen to that damn ghost the same way again. The Senator is probably my favorite Metal Gear character

-Deimos

Anyone else encounter a captain's abilities being changed? One of mine had flaming boomerang scythes (I know) before I quit the game, but when I came back he had two regular axes.

Corgi

Banned
whats the general tip for fighting hordes of ghouls.

i mean i never really died against them, but im near death all the time and the poison shooters are annoying.

I feel like im doing something wrong.

Top Bottom