• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor |OT| One Title to rule them all

Levyne

Banned
What you have to know for Matrons, I think, is that

1.) Ghuls only spawn at night.
2.) You have to let some of the fleeing ghuls dig away for a chance for the matron to spawn

just beat the story

you guys weren't kidding over the completely underwhelming final two battles lol. I had more fun fighting the five body guards that I did fighting him. Because it was me and my orc bros just wrecking ass.

Why doesn't this game just have a mode where you can gather an army and just wreck shop against like a hundred orc and your tale is told by orc children to keep them from acting out.

I think it's a nice touch that when you're going to fight
The Tower your nemesis leads the army of orcs to fight you.
But come on son, I beat you by myself, do you really think you stood even a slight chance against me and my 5 orc warchiefs? LAWL git gud

hbkdx12

I think completing main missions and side missions can also add captains. There was a long period where I didn't die or advance time, and new captains were definitely added.
I could see that being the case as some missions take place at certain times and this artificially advance time. But when i went on my tear through the army i was strictly focusing on taking out captains and getting intel

What does branding do?

1. Lets you ride caragors
2. Lets you eventually ride the big beasts.
3. Lets you brand random orcs as you're fighting in an area so they fight by your side
4. Lets you take control of captains and warchiefs. You can use this to make them fight other captains, betray their warchief and become a warchief themselves. Boom you now have a warchief and his immediate followers on your side.

BigDug13

Getting 5 hits then using my 2 specials to combat brand 2 uruks and repeat is great. Eventually you'll have like 15 of the crowd of uruks on your side. It's nice when they help whittle down captains for you. Tossing daggers quickly is a great way to knock some back while building your hit chain. Once your chain is decent, using your two specials to wraith explode then quickly use the "kill all stunned dudes" will let you clear out sometimes 20 dudes at once.

GoDLiKe

Finished the main story yesterday and yeah, the final battle was really disappointing. It seems that they didn't have enough time to develop that part. Fortunately the rest of the game is amazing.

they really messed up by making it so the game counts as being detected when jumping on enemies from above. I just tried to do a stealth take down from above on an ork that was all alone on one side of a base. It counted as me failing the missions because he apparently spotted me in the millisecond before he died.

NIN90

They should really revise their movement system in the next game.
The default walking stance is absolutely useless. Even sneaking is faster than walking.
Should have just gone all the way with their parkour and do it like AC and put running on RT so we don't have to do the claw when we want to run around while still being able to control the camera.

they really messed up by making it so the game counts as being detected when jumping on enemies from above. I just tried to do a stealth take down from above on an ork that was all alone on one side of a base. It counted as me failing the missions because he apparently spotted me in the millisecond before he died.
That's not how the game ever worked for me. Are you sure another enemy nearby didn't detect you?

BigDug13

Something else happened because a stealth takedown from above is exactly that. Maybe he saw you just before you executed your jump or maybe another Orc was somewhere you didn't see?

That's not how the game ever worked for me. Are you sure another enemy nearby didn't detect you?

100% positive...it has happened to me numerous times. It is when the enemy is facing your direction, during the leap down to them. I try to remember, but I sometimes forget and end up having to go back in a mission

hbkdx12

I've never had this happen. It's always a stealth kill unless he was already aware of you before you jumped (red arrow) in which the attack will just be a knockdown

BigDug13

They should really revise their movement system in the next game.
The default walking stance is absolutely useless. Even sneaking is faster than walking.
Should have just gone all the way with their parkour and do it like AC and put running on RT so we don't have to do the claw when we want to run around while still being able to control the camera.

Or make running the default and "press x to walk".

j-wood

So if you don't decapitate a captain they can come back even if you kill them? How do you specifically do a decapitation? Is it just random?

yeah the game even gives you some leeway from when the enemy sees you and reacts to when you can still do a stealth kill. I've walked up on orcs right on their face and as they're still reacting I stab them in the face.

Wounded

100% positive...it has happened to me numerous times. It is when the enemy is facing your direction, during the leap down to them. I try to remember, but I sometimes forget and end up having to go back in a mission

This has happened to me too. If the enemy is facing towards you, you can get stung with an alert.

So if you don't decapitate a captain they can come back even if you kill them? How do you specifically do a decapitation? Is it just random?

Pretty sure it's random.

It seems odd at first, but it allows uruks a chance to survive for a bit and become memorable or even a threat to Talion, so I can see why they did it this way.

BigDug13

I don't even think decapitations are a guarantee of perma-death. I've had previously decapitated captains come back. Basically it selects a couple dudes who will keep respawning to fuck with you. Not sure what causes them to stop or change to different captains. I had one that was immune to everything except stealth kills and he kept coming back. Finally he stopped but I'm not sure if it was when I reloaded the game for a second play session or what.

I don't even think decapitations are a guarantee of perma-death. I've had previously decapitated captains come back. Basically it selects a couple dudes who will keep respawning to fuck with you. Not sure what causes them to stop or change to different captains. I had one that was immune to everything except stealth kills and he kept coming back. Finally he stopped but I'm not sure if it was when I reloaded the game for a second play session or what.

You can confirm whether they're dead by checking the army menu. Captains/Warchiefs with their head mounted on a pike are permanently slain, and everyone else (mere fallen on the ground) will return at some point.

Haven't played it yet, but man it sounds lame how they messed up the ending. Should have just been your and your 5 war chiefs vs like 60 orcs.
That wouldn't improve things. [Actual spoiler]
Because it's already part of the final mission.

To be honest, it feels like they made the story missions in an isolation from the rest of the game, and those missions suffer for it. I can only hope that the sequel melds the two in a way that benefits both.

BigDug13

You can confirm whether they're dead by checking the army menu. Captains/Warchiefs with their head mounted on a pike are permanently slain, and everyone else (mere fallen on the ground) will return at some point.

Right, but I'm not sure how the game chooses who will be your rivals or when it will ever change. I know it's not decapitations because that captain that was immune to everything but stealth kills, there is no stealth decapitation but eventually he just didn't respawn anymore. But I can't remember if it was after reloading the game or if it changed rivals as I played.

Right, but I'm not sure how the game chooses who will be your rivals or when it will ever change. I know it's not decapitations because that captain that was immune to everything but stealth kills, there is no stealth decapitation but eventually he just didn't respawn anymore. But I can't remember if it was after reloading the game or if it changed rivals as I played.

Hmm.. now that you mention it, arrows must be able to permanently kill them but there's no chance they can decapitate. So you must be (at least) partly correct.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
Finished the main story yesterday and yeah, the final battle was really disappointing. It seems that they didn't have enough time to develop that part. Fortunately the rest of the game is amazing.

It's really weird considering the game was pushed up. It seems like it could use like another 6 months of polish on the story.

Is it just me, or did I collect
Celebrimbors circlet
thing like 3 times?

BigDug13

Hmm.. now that you mention it, arrows must be able to permanently kill them but there's no chance they can decapitate. So you must be (at least) partly correct.

Well this guy was immune to ranged as well. Basically the only way I could kill him was to run away and come back and sneak up from behind.

Well this guy was immune to ranged as well. Basically the only way I could kill him was to run away and come back and sneak up from behind.

Yeah.

What I mean was, it can't be solely decapitations that dictate whether named uruks are permanently killed, because otherwise uruks immuned to stealth and melee would be immortal since ranged weapons cannot decapitate. (Unless I've somehow avoided seeing it in my time with the game...)

Levyne

Banned
Yeah.

What I mean was, it can't be solely decapitations that dictate whether named uruks are permanently killed, because otherwise uruks immuned to stealth and melee would be immortal since ranged weapons cannot decapitate. (Unless I've somehow avoided seeing it in my time with the game...)

Doesn't the shadow strike (the kill variant) have a chance to decap?)

oSoLucky

taken-kidnapping-scene.jpg

"I don't know who you are. I don't know what you want. If you are looking for ransom I can tell you I dont have money, but what I do have are a very particular set of skills. Skills I have acquired over a very long career. Skills that make me a nightmare for peope like you. If you let my daughter go now that'll be the end of it. I will not look for you, I will not pursue you, but if you don't, I will look for you, I will find you and I will kill you."

screenshot_521.png

Press <A> to kill kidnapper and contemplate your victory.

FADE TO BLACK

I've been avoiding spoiling it and just got to the end. Boy does it hurt. The characters are mostly really good. I guess the last 1/3 of the story was cut to make the holidays or something...........

What's the deal with Warchief Initiation missions?

I tried last night and the spawning was endless, so my level 19 captain bit the dust. Do you just have to keep following him around killing until the mission ends?

It seemed kind of impossible, to be honest; I would've killed at least 50 uruk. Is there any way to even out the odds?

Doesn't the shadow strike (the kill variant) have a chance to decap?)

Oh. Probably.

But in my 20-odd hours with the game so far, I only got that power within the last hour. So it's a non-factor in my calculations.

(Once I get that chaining shadow strike power, everything is going to change omg wow hooah.)

Levyne

Banned
What's the deal with Warchief Initiation missions?

I tried last night and the spawning was endless, so my level 19 captain bit the dust. Do you just have to keep following him around killing until the mission ends?

It seemed kind of impossible, to be honest; I would've killed at least 50 uruk. Is there any way to even out the odds?

Never had it quite that bad, but yeah, the victory conditions for those are vague. Once I had my captain and a few branded orc were just roaming in circles and I had to run away from the area to force the mission to complete.

The worst promotion missions are those against Caragors, with a captain that has Monster Slayer and a damage bonus. It's over in seconds...

The End

Is any of the PS4 (Legion?) content worthwhile? They still had some copies at target but I'd have to pay full price + $6 in sales tax, vs. being able to get it used on amazon for $52 or so.

Never had it quite that bad, but yeah, the victory conditions for those are vague. Once I had my captain and a few branded orc were just roaming in circles and I had to run away from the area to force the mission to complete.

Cheers, Levyne. Hmm. That's annoying. I guess I'll stick to just betraying them with their existing bodyguards.

Also, if I want to use a Warchief's captains against him in real-time during the confrontation (much like in the branding tutorial mission), do I just brand them, i.e. no commands whatsoever and press d-pad ^ whenever?

Thanks, guys. The game can sure get confusing with so many avenues.

Gattsu25

Banned
1 mission away from beating this game and I really enjoyed. Thankfully, I peeked into this thread and am now prepping myself for an
abrupt and sudden
ending

Tygamr

I haven't encountered this yet. I always kill any captains or nemesis. Even when they decide to leg it out of fear, I'll give chase for however long it takes and kill them.

Interesting note, their health fully regenerates when they get to a certain point away from the original encounter location.

Oh, I like legitimately killed him every time I saw him. I got a bunch of runes off of him. The game will randomly resurrect killed captains, and when you see them next they'll give you a little 'you though you killed me but you couldn't because I'm too tough/you left me for dead and now I'm going to kill you for it!' speech before you fight them. They come back looking slightly different than the last time you saw them- they'll have wounds and scars from previous fights with you. Their appearance always remains consistent though.

Only three captains have come back in my game after being killed- two came back once, and then the other one came back four times. The first few times the one guy came back, he was just minding his own business, but then tha last few times he was like hunting and chasing me.

Beat all the campaign missions last night.

1. Nemesis is a neat gimmick and initially (and again once you unlock brand) provides some of those 'ol emergent unique gameplay experiences that people on here are always complaining that they don't see enough of, but the endgame loop of brand captain - do initiation mission to get said captain made a bodyguard - repeat steps 1 and 2 for two more captains - finally betray war chief was getting tedious at best in the final hours for me. The missions where you have to help your branded captains in some way are unfun and worst bugged/broken. The experience a lot of people point to as being awesome, "I was fighting a captain then ANOTHER captain that I thought I had killed earlier showed up! OMG." Isn't enough to sustain the system past hour five or so, at least not for me.

2. Bland art direction with insufficient landmarking. There's essentially two zones and everything blends together in both of them.

3. The less said about the last mission/last zone/end boss "fights" the better. Worse than Destiny. Waltzing into the nearest enemy stronghold without a mission provided more epic moments then the endgame here.

4. Once you get the hit streak perk that lowers the required hits to five, as well as the perk that gives you two executions per hit streak, combat quickly devolves into a nearly never-ending string of hilariously over-the-top beheadings. Was really satisfied with the combat in the game until I hit this point.

5. The resolution of the narrative is that Talion is just some rando who basically didn't matter jack shit to main villains and the other protagonist of the game.

Top Bottom