• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor |OT| One Title to rule them all

sjay1994

They should really revise their movement system in the next game.
The default walking stance is absolutely useless. Even sneaking is faster than walking.
Should have just gone all the way with their parkour and do it like AC and put running on RT so we don't have to do the claw when we want to run around while still being able to control the camera.

But at the same time, you lose R2/RT to crouch.

Assassins Creed Unity is using L2/LT to crouch and honestly that just sounds bizzare.

lmpaler

I had a similar issue when navigating the menus. With vsync activated my FR was very sporadic, especially in the Nemesis menu. Switching to borderless fixed all of my problems. Hope that helps you too!

Cheers my friend! Solved my issues.

The lack of AA options on PC is saddening, but it is not preventing my enjoyment of it. I kept dying on purpose to see how the Nemisis really works, cracks me up.

antitrop

Maybe I shouldn't have done all these challenge missions, I feel so overpowered that I basically can't die

This. I ruined the second half of the game for myself. I don't even really feel compelled to finish. Especially since I know the final boss and ending suck, already.

sjay1994

So after quite some time playing mordor, I think its safe to say I enjoyed it far more than both Arkham City and Arkham Origins. Asylum is still one of my favorite games from last gen.

I am not sure why I don't like City or Origins that much. Hell I love Batman , and have absolutely bare bones knowledge of LOTR considering I have never read the books, and never finished any of the movies because they are so god damn long.

I am not sure why Mordor feels more fun to me than the open world batman games.

VanWinkle

I love this game. Just killed the four required warchiefs in Udun, and then did the grog barrels stealth mission. That stressed me out so much by the time I had done four of the five barrels, lol.

Beat all the campaign missions last night.

1. Nemesis is a neat gimmick and initially (and again once you unlock brand) provides some of those 'ol emergent unique gameplay experiences that people on here are always complaining that they don't see enough of, but the endgame loop of brand captain - do initiation mission to get said captain made a bodyguard - repeat steps 1 and 2 for two more captains - finally betray war chief was getting tedious at best in the final hours for me. The missions where you have to help your branded captains in some way are unfun and worst bugged/broken. The experience a lot of people point to as being awesome, "I was fighting a captain then ANOTHER captain that I thought I had killed earlier showed up! OMG." Isn't enough to sustain the system past hour five or so, at least not for me.

Is there a particular reason why you wanted to promote those captains? Because you know you can brand warchiefs straight-away... right?

Aside from their rank and the bodyguards, Warchiefs are the same as any other uruk.

AlterOdin

So after quite some time playing mordor, I think its safe to say I enjoyed it far more than both Arkham City and Arkham Origins. Asylum is still one of my favorite games from last gen.

I am not sure why I don't like City or Origins that much. Hell I love Batman , and have absolutely bare bones knowledge of LOTR considering I have never read the books, and never finished any of the movies because they are so god damn long.

I am not sure why Mordor feels more fun to me than the open world batman games.

This post made me want a nemsis system in batman, some random generated super-villans in arkham could be interesting (outside cannon of course).

Love the game, and finally some innovation (that actually works) in a game.

Loomba

I just got to
killing the dude that killed your family, the hammer I think Talion called him... Well did he kill ratbag? He is dead on my Sauron army screen but I liked him and that would be a terrible send off

Levyne

Banned
I agree with the slave missions. Way too many. I just used them as an excuse to fight stuff, because they combat was still really fun. Just had to press a button at a few dots along the way.

Gaz_RB

I just got to
killing the dude that killed your family, the hammer I think Talion called him... Well did he kill ratbag? He is dead on my Sauron army screen but I liked him and that would be a terrible send off

Yeah :/ really bad way to get rid of a great character.

sjay1994

I just got to

You have seen nothing yet when it comes to flacid send offs in this game. One of the most anticlimactic endings I have seen in a game in a long while. I didn't even realize I had beaten the game.

Is there a particular reason why you wanted to promote those captains? Because you know you can brand warchiefs straight-away... right?

Aside from their rank and the bodyguards, Warchiefs are the same as any other uruk.

My captains were higher power level then the war chiefs already

Apt101

This is a rare gem. Picked it up on a whim since I have a week + a few days before anything else I want is out. Really good. My first few encounters I bumbled into two captains and their friends, kept barely escaping. An hour later and I feel like Aragorn from the films and the orcs are fleeing from me.

Also, homeboy has like, top 3 walking animation of all-time, right up there with Bayonetta and Treasure Master

ErHoT.gif

Much to go after
branding the 5 Warchiefs
?

Ready for it to end. It's only been 22 hours, but it's felt a lot longer, which is probably largely due to the overall repetition and relative shallowness of mechanics, methinks.

Much to go after
branding the 5 Warchiefs
?

Ready for it to end. It's only been 22 hours, but it's felt a lot longer, which is probably largely due to the overall repetition and relative shallowness of mechanics, methinks.

You should be almost there.

There is a progress menu alongside the collections menu where you can see exactly how many story missions are left... along with everything else.

My captains were higher power level then the war chiefs already

In that case, I'd recommend branding the captain you want to be Warchief, killing the Warchief in question, and then having your Captain attempt to take the spot. Much more straightforward, and it should help to avoid the tedium you are experiencing.

I find SoM the most interesting when playing fast 'n' loose.

Tagg9

The animations in the game are absolutely incredible. There's a lot of variety in terms of combat animations and everything seems really smooth/realistic.

fedexpeon

Banned
Also, homeboy has like, top 3 walking animation of all-time, right up there with Bayonetta and Treasure Master

ErHoT.gif

Yup, after killing everything I just casually walk around to see the post-carnage of my badassness.
Or straight up walking into the group while he slowly takes out his sword, informing every orcs to come get some.

antitrop

You know if I wouldn't mind this game in a feudal Japan setting. With samurai and warlords replacing uruks.

Could you imagine.
I hope this happens before a Feudal Japanese Assassin's Creed game. That series doesn't have the combat mechanics to support it.

Really I just want another Onimusha.

Wounded

I kinda feel I'm not getting the most of the nemesis system anymore. I have dominated a fair few Uruks, but left a fair amount unbranded. However I fight and kill them, usually not by execution but they're not really attacking me or anything like that. Any way to encourage beaten enemies to attack?

Panda Rin

finished it this morning. really enjoyed my time with it with an exception for the story. The voice-acting was good and all, but there wasn't enough it...

I kinda feel I'm not getting the most of the nemesis system anymore. I have dominated a fair few Uruks, but left a fair amount unbranded. However I fight and kill them, usually not by execution but they're not really attacking me or anything like that. Any way to encourage beaten enemies to attack?

Named uruks that are low on health are almost certainly going to try and flee - guaranteed if their icon turns green. The one exception would be uruks with the Until Death(?) trait that prevents them from fleeing combat. There might also be a "bravery" component that is based on the amount of reinforcements they have.

If you want a good fight, alert a stronghold while fighting your foes.

sjay1994

I hope this happens before a Feudal Japanese Assassin's Creed game. That series doesn't have the combat mechanics to support it.

Really I just want another Onimusha.

Ha.

That fuedal Japan AC will probably never happen.

Unless they fuck up so badly, that the setting is the only way to bring people back.

Levyne

Banned
Ugh, I had an impression post written up but accidentally went back in the browser and lost it. Should write those things in a document. Damn it.

It was probably a bit same-y as other impressions in here. Still, darn

emrober5

Picked it up today after hearing great reviews from friends.

I'm enjoying it, and the nemesis system is great. I'm pretty early in the story I assume (just killed the first warchief), but so far it's okay. Solid voice acting.

Rokam

Was doing a Vendetta and got jumped by 5 or 6 captains and the target got away. Managed to kill the majority and escape, I Wraith Shot to a far away Uruk not realizing he was red... asshole in a bird mask murdered me. Finally opened up the second area, now time to ignore the story and find collectibles, also pick which Uruks are my favorite and level them up.

Ateron

Got this game friday. After lunch I decided to dive in just to try it out real quick. Spent 2hours playing it and didn't even noticed. This game is amazing.

Although, there's a small thing that confuses me a bit. The combat mechanics are exactly like batman. I didn't even had to check the controls, the same exact controls and combos, button presses, even the O stun + Square flurry of attacks is in. Not that its a bad thing, it's actually pretty damn good as I love Arkham Asylum and City, but isn't there a risk of law suits? I know it's being published by the same company, but Rocksteady can't be exactly happy that someone aped their system.

For what is worth, I think this game is superior to Batman games, even though they're very similar, but it seems so weird. If someone told me this game was made by Rocksteady I wouldn't doubt it for a second.

sjay1994

Got this game friday. After lunch I decided to dive in just to try it out real quick. Spent 2hours playing it and didn't even noticed. This game is amazing.

Although, there's a small thing that confuses me a bit. The combat mechanics are exactly like batman. I didn't even had to check the controls, the same exact controls and combos, button presses, even the O stun + Square flurry of attacks is in. Not that its a bad thing, it's actually pretty damn good as I love Arkham Asylum and City, but isn't there a risk of law suits? I know it's being published by the same company, but Rocksteady can't be exactly happy that someone aped their system.

For what is worth, I think this game is superior to Batman games, even though they're very similar, but it seems so weird. If someone told me this game was made by Rocksteady I wouldn't doubt it for a second.

Eh.... tell that to the recent amazing spiderman games and that captain america movie tie in.

Many have tried to imitate Arkham's combat. Monolith is the first one to do it competently.

cackhyena

Listening to the latest Giantbombcast, a couple of them made it sound like this game started out as something else entirely, property wise. They didn't outright say Batman was it, but they sure hinted at it. It's all WB, so maybe they all share shit, I don't know. All I know is I haven't played that kind of combat since Arkham City and I welcome it with open arms.

I keep making screenshots every 10 mins in this game, too many good looking slowmo shots.

Code:
[IMG]http://cloud-4.steampowered.com/ugc/540754449056738879/8C38BC87F6878013CF5E18C958100F3FB3274207/[/IMG]

[IMG]http://cloud-4.steampowered.com/ugc/540754449056738097/0E5A1483D980B92F77E27990188C01876D94DF73/[/IMG]

[IMG]http://cloud-4.steampowered.com/ugc/540754449056810170/657477F62F9463E204402A0C4306A450C26CF1F8/[/IMG]

Ateron

Eh.... tell that to the recent amazing spiderman games and that captain america movie tie in.

Many have tried to imitate Arkham's combat. Monolith is the first one to do it competently.

Well, I can't argue with that. Those games weren't very good, while this one is brilliant.

Listening to the latest Giantbombcast, a couple of them made it sound like this game started out as something else entirely, property wise. They didn't outright say Batman was it, but they sure hinted at it. It's all WB, so maybe they all share shit, I don't know. All I know is I haven't played that kind of combat since Arkham City and I welcome it with open arms.

Yeah, that's what I thought..Since both games belong to WB there shouldn't be any problems. If this game was being published by someone else, there's little doubt in my mind that law suits would be flying left and right. Although I wonder how Rocksteady might feel right now. I mean, this is their thing.

Well, the game turned out awesome and I'm happy to have bought it, in the end that's all that matters. 50 euros very well spent indeed and I've only just scratched the surface.

Sanctuary

One thing I really liked is that it was immediately obvious how you could integrate any upgrade into combat as you got further into the game, which wasn't always the case with Arkham gadgets. But to be fair to those games, the gadgets use in combat was secondary to their use out of combat.

What I didn't like about City at least (haven't played Origins yet) is that much of the additions were superfluous at best. Rocksteady seemed to think more must equal better and so they bolted on a bunch of crap that was mostly useless through the majority of the game just to be able to truthfully claim that it had more options than Asylum.

Not really looking forward to City 2 as much as the rest of GAF, because the first game just demolished the pacing, atmosphere and narrative excellence that Asylum had.

The slave side missions are the worst, I'm done doing those things.

Yep. I finished the game with 8/20 (or was it 24?) because they were the most repetitive, non challenging and unrewarding "missions" in the entire game. The very definition of filler.

antitrop

I really enjoyed the campaigns in AA and AC, though, while Mordor's leaves me completely flat. As far as I see it, the combat and Nemesis system are all Mordor really has going for it. It feels like Assassin's Creed 1 in the way that it's almost like a glorified tech-demo to show off a unique gameplay system (parkour in AC1, Nemeses in Mordor), and really fails to deliver as a "complete package".

The open-world checklist collectathon structure of the campaign has me longing for the more tightly-paced Metroidvania stylings of Arkham Asylum.

Top Bottom