• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor |OT| One Title to rule them all

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
I have a question about the second half of the game.

I've just opened up the part where I need to
brand
five
Warchiefs
… What's the best way to go about doing this? I already have the one from the walkthrough mission, but is it just a matter of
branding any old captain and commanding him to take on a warchief? I already have a few captains under my thumb, and a mission marker telling me so-and-so is waiting for orders. I'm just a bit confused in regards to what exactly to do and the order to do things since there are so many moving parts to this objective

What I did was to highlight a warchief, then see who his bodyguards were. I would go after and brand the Warchiefs bodyguards individually (which is easy enough).

I would then go and take on the warchief, when he appears in the mission I would activate his bodyguards with the d-pad and make them fight him. When he dies one of your branded warchief bodyguards automatically takes his place. Rinse & repeat. I didn't give any orders, this way was much more straightforward.

Does anyone have any idea why none of the captains I've killed haven't come back from the dead? I've killed dozens in my 10+ hours and I don't think any of them haven't been decapitations. So I should have some dudes coming back right? Also haven't had anyone just pop up while roaming around.

The only way I remember them coming back is when they mention it at the start of the fight

I have a question about the second half of the game.

I've just opened up the part where I need to
brand
five
Warchiefs
… What's the best way to go about doing this? I already have the one from the walkthrough mission, but is it just a matter of
branding any old captain and commanding him to take on a warchief? I already have a few captains under my thumb, and a mission marker telling me so-and-so is waiting for orders. I'm just a bit confused in regards to what exactly to do and the order to do things since there are so many moving parts to this objective

Focus on one at a time, and deal with his bodyguards first (Captains connected by a white line on the Sauron's Army screen). If you brand the bodyguards rather than killing them they'll be there to help you in the Warchief fight, which is seriously helpful. Also, if you command one of the branded bodyguards to betray the Warchief, it'll help in 2 ways: 1) you don't have to do the regular mission to draw the Warchief out and 2) the new betrayal mission you get will draw the Warchief out from the forts and into an open area.

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
Will any of these spots be replaced? Also are the spots with the impaled heads mean they are their permanently if not what to they mean? Only up to 7th mission on the story.

vdkftz.jpg

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Yes. It's a solid 7.0 - 7.5. I kind of doubt that after the honeymoon period is over that many will actually want to stick around.

I'd disagree, 85 is just right for this imo. Hopefully the sales will be good, I think there is an amazing sequel in this franchise

Give me a sequel where you play as an Uruk in an alternate universe where you go around Middle-Earth slicing and dicing up famous people like the guys from the fellowship. Oooh, I'd give alot to be able to poison Gimli's condoms so Legolas dies when they bump uglies.

Tizoc

Give me a sequel where you play as an Uruk in an alternate universe where you go around Middle-Earth slicing and dicing up famous people like the guys from the fellowship. Oooh, I'd give alot to be able to poison Gimli's condoms so Legolas dies when they bump uglies.

Only if that Uruk is Ratbag :V

dear god, no! i don't know about you, but this game being very stealth heavy (at least i played it like that - i suppose i wouldn't have had to, but it feels dumb sprinting by lines of uruks, not minding that they see you because you're faster anyways...) a permanent companion would kill immersion pretty fast.

i think the whole idea is that - outside of the story missions - you're behind enemy lines, on your own. you're meant to feel lonesome.

You're right. I think I just wanted more life from the environment. By life I don't mean the colour palette or atmosphere...but just more things happening.

Due to setting, not a whole lot can be done, but in the future...it'd be great to see allied raiding parties and varied spontaneous events that involve other factions / people.

mdsfx

Noooooooooooooooo

I was playing on my pc when I smelled burning. PSU crapped itself. No more killing orcs for at least a few days. I... feel...empty.

Fliesen

You're right. I think I just wanted more life from the environment. By life I don't mean the colour palette or atmosphere...but just more things happening.

Due to setting, not a whole lot can be done, but in the future...it'd be great to see allied raiding parties and varied spontaneous events that involve other factions / people.

they could've extended upon the conversations between the wraith (
celebrimbor
) and talion beyond those few tidbits we get when picking up an artifact or after a story mission. The wraith would be perfect as you can talk to him but he can't be seen by your enemies, anyways.

Loomba

Anybody know how I start the playstation exclusive missions?

And is the rune that you get for preordering broken, the one where it goes on fire after 8 hits and is supposed to ignite orcs? I keep hitting them after x8 streak but they never go on fire, it's supposed to be happening 20% of the time but it never happens :\

I pre-ordered on PS4, how do you get the pre-order bonuses? Do you need to progress so far in the game before you can use the other costume?

Markitron

I pre-ordered on PS4, how do you get the pre-order bonuses? Do you need to progress so far in the game before you can use the other costume?

No you can use it straight away. It will still show the default costume in cut scenes though

ced

I'm having a very hard time cutting off captain heads with the execute, it rarely does it.

I like how some just give up and let you lop off their head.

Just beat the game and got the platinum. Overall it was a lot of fun, some stupid annoyances with getting stuck when moving and small pieces completely stopping you from moving. There were too many of the same side missions so they got really bland really quick. Then ending though
I don't know if I disliked the ending more than Rage or less at this point, it was that bad. Seriously what the fuck was that?

Ive played about 7 hours so far and its ok but not clicking for me. the game is depressingly brown.

Don't worry about the color palette.

hbkdx12

So im not sure if this is a glitch but can you not command branded captains from the first area to murder other captains?

So im headed towards the endgame and i have my entire army on the second area branded and any new captains that get introduced, i send a death threat and either send another captain or a warchief to start a power struggle and then brand then branded them in the midst of it.

But when i tried this on the first island it never worked. I found a branded captain and then told him to murder another captain but it didnt create a power struggle like its suppose to. I passed time but still didnt work. Tried it with a a different captain and it still didnt work. I went back to the second area and commanded my captain to take out a new captain and it worked

This happen to anyone else?

3bdelilah

Banned
New to game reviews? A 70 is not a "nice game". A 70 is squarely below average for a retail release.

No, I am not new to game reviews. I just don't give a fuck about the whole collective "7 is a mediocre game" type of reviews of the industry nowadays, it makes no sense whatsoever. A 7 is a good game, 8 is great, 9 is amazing, and 10 is a borderline masterpiece, which means for me Shadow of Mordor is a more than a good game, but not a great one.

I'm trying to do the Rebels achievement and having a hell of a time branding captains.

Is there an easier way than fighting them down to being grabbable and dominating them with a hold? These assholes are usually in a stronghold so I have a million orcs interrupting my dominate. Or if I combat brand dudes to keep others off me they end up killing the fucking captain.

Any pointers?

Do you have the command action yet? If so then just take over captains command them to become a bodyguard of a warchief then kill the warchief and your captain will take their spot

Change Skins has a lock next to it.

Did you download the bonuses? You might have put the code in but not downloaded it. Check your library and redownload any DLC.

Did you download the bonuses? You might have put the code in but not downloaded it. Check your library and redownload any DLC.

Hmmm. I don't have any additional downloads, I didn't get any codes. I pre-ordered the digital version. When I hit Shadow of Mordor in my library it just jumps to the game, I don't see any DLC listed there. On the store page it has the season pass, that's it.
I didn't get any emails from Sony with a code either.

Same thing happened with Destiny, I pre-ordered that and never got any of the pre-order gear.

RVinP

Unconfirmed Member
No you can use it straight away. It will still show the default costume in cut scenes though

That's because some of the cut scenes are prerended video files, they are also accompanied by lower voice/dialogue audio volume levels.

Please tell me I am wrong!?

ReaperXL7

I really hope this has been successful for WB and Monolith as I would love to see them have the opportunity to do more with this if it has a chance to become a series.

Just thinking about them being able to include places like Rohan or Gondor makes me pretty moist. I just don't know how they are going to move forward with the way this game ended
presuming the theory that Sauron took control of Talions body at the end[/spoilers].

I'm fascinated to see where they can take this and what kinds of things they can do to add to or improve the nemesis system. Easily in my current GOTY list for 2014

marjo

I've run into a problem. I'm early in the game on the mission to kill 4 warchiefs. The game suggests I should deal with the bodyguards first, however one of the captains just doesn't appear to be where he's supposed to.

I spend over an hour yesterday searching the West Garrison for him (with wraith vision on almost the whole time), and he never showed up, despite the map telling me that's where he should be.

Am I doing something wrong? Do I need to activate the warchief mission for the captain to appear?

I've run into a problem. I'm early in the game on the mission to kill 4 warchiefs. The game suggests I should deal with the bodyguards first, however one of the captains just doesn't appear to be where he's supposed to.

I spend over an hour yesterday searching the West Garrison for him (with wraith vision on almost the whole time), and he never showed up, despite the map telling me that's where he should be.

Am I doing something wrong? Do I need to activate the warchief mission for the captain to appear?

You can always skip time at the towers, that should generate new activities for the captains and move them around the map. If it's a bug, skipping time should give you a new place to find the gentleman.

hengyu

Just reached the end, loved the game, but the ending was really awful and underwhelming IMO.

Not sure how the story can be tied together with Tolkien's world though. My greatest gripe about the game is that there is no single moment which reminds me strongly of the world Tolkien created.
Gollum
and
Saruman
's appearances also feel extremely shoehorned into the game and seems to be at odds with what is already established in the lore at the time this game is set...

marjo

You can always skip time at the towers, that should generate new activities for the captains and move them around the map. If it's a bug, skipping time should give you a new place to find the gentleman.

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll give it a try.

This game is so fucking addicting I might even platinum this as my very first PS4 title. I have not even reached the second world and am already on 15 hours.

This game is so fucking addicting I might even platinum this as my very first PS4 title. I have not even reached the second world and am already on 15 hours.

I was 34 hours when I reached the second map. I can see 60 hours easily, if not more. I just love roaming around; it feels so alive.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Yes. It's a solid 7.0 - 7.5. I kind of doubt that after the honeymoon period is over that many will actually want to stick around.

Yea, I wouldn't rate it much higher myself. I'm ~70% complete with the game and I have a hard time finding motivation to play much more of it. The Nemesis system has fallen apart given how OP you become, I regularly wipe the floor with any captain or warchief I take on, to the point I don't even bother using intel, or even recall any of the names of orcs I randomly face. A bummer compared to the early hours where I was dead set on rivalries and taking vengeance on anyone that killed me.

The world lacks any interesting exploration, landmarks, and even the 'second' area feels like a re-skin of the first. Story and characters haven't hooked me either. Just not seeing much reason to keep at it outside of trophy hunting sadly. Not a bad game though, just imbalanced and lacking long-term engagement hooks. A week ago, I was loving it too. :(

This has happened to me a few times, where the green highlighted area of the map Captains are supposed to be patrolling in ended up false. Usually gave up my search and bumped into them in some other nearby zone doing something else. I guess you can always fast forward time to reset their location as described, but I never bothered.

RedWolf

Neo Member
Will any of these spots be replaced? Also are the spots with the impaled heads mean they are their permanently if not what to they mean? Only up to 7th mission on the story.

I've also wondered the same thing. My Sauron's Army screen isn't as bad as yours but I only like 3 or 4 orcs on there. I am assuming that they will fill back up if you pass time in the game. Not 100% sure but it seems like they are pretty replaceable.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
I've also wondered the same thing. My Sauron's Army screen isn't as bad as yours but I only like 3 or 4 orcs on there. I am assuming that they will fill back up if you pass time in the game. Not 100% sure but it seems like they are pretty replaceable.

They will repopulate. I've annihilated the entire roster a couple times now. The warchiefs might not repopulate until you reach the second half of the game though(story purposes).

BigDug13

Stick around? It's a game you play through then move on to something else. Not every game is supposed to provide Skyrim level of content and replayability. So your measurement seems to be how many weeks can you play the game and still have it feel fresh.

Markitron

Just got the platinum on this, was probably the most fun platinum I have ever gotten.

Arrrammis

Hmmm. I don't have any additional downloads, I didn't get any codes. I pre-ordered the digital version. When I hit Shadow of Mordor in my library it just jumps to the game, I don't see any DLC listed there. On the store page it has the season pass, that's it.
I didn't get any emails from Sony with a code either.

Same thing happened with Destiny, I pre-ordered that and never got any of the pre-order gear.

What I had to do is go back to the game page in the PSN store and hit the download button (where buy was before). It should pop up with two options, both say Shadow of Mordor, but one of them is free. Select that one and it should start downloading the pre-order bonuses for you.

Right stupid system if you ask me.

I just started playing yesterday but I think the story is awesome so far. It is one of the best premises that I have experienced in the last few years. I fail to see how anyone could knock it unless it really comes apart later on.

Top Bottom