• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor |OT| One Title to rule them all

Joco

All uruk power missions will give you a "results" screen when they reach a conclusion, outlining whether they succeeded, their power increase (if any), as well as your rewards (if any). If you haven't seen that screen yet the mission isn't over.

I'm aware of that, I've beaten the story and done a lot of the side missions. The recruitment mission in particular though, none of the others, I swear is glitched. At least for me.

Arrrammis

For one of the warchiefs, how the heck do I kill 20 Uruks in 2 minutes when I keep running into Captains in that stronghold?

Arrows. Lots of them. Currently, I have runes that fully restore my focus for a headshot kill and restore 4 arrows for a shadow strike kill... yeah, it makes clearing strongholds pretty easy.

Besides that, maybe just release a ton of caragors? They get the job done fairly well.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
For one of the warchiefs, how the heck do I kill 20 Uruks in 2 minutes when I keep running into Captains in that stronghold?

This would be quite difficult without a few power-ups. Assuming you don't have many upgrades, kill a few with your bow and then move to the outskirts of the mission area, even if a captain shows up you should be able to kill him. If it's an early warchief you should not start the mission without killing his bodyguards first

So this happened.

15488875101_230c106c4c_o.jpg

hunchback

Maybe I am just bad at games... I see a lot of people claiming how easy the game is, but I died probably 50 times before I just gave up and uninstalled. Couldn't hack it. Several captains ranked up to power level 20 because they killed me so many times.

You are not alone. I feel like the worst gamer in history. Here's my situation. Just restarted the game and finished the tutorial. I jump off the forge tower and sneak around to scope things out but never move farther than 30 feet. I get spotted and a scramble back up to the tower until everything quiets down again. I jump back off and am hiding 400 feet away from a Orc targeted. I'm in a bush in stealth. Some nasty dude named Unstoppable appears from behind and whoops on me until I scramble back up to the tower. All of this and I haven't killed a single Orc since the tutorial. What the hell? I love this game and will keep playing but I'm just not good at all.

Finally started this up last night. The game is amazing. I'm not a huge lotr fan but i am a huge assassins/batman fan and they have nailed the best aspects of each.

3 hours in and i still haven't even started the first story mission. Having too much fun killing random captains and unlocking towers.

Imagine if assassins creed kept its amazing historic locations and cleaned up the game play systems to copy mordor.

That would bring me back to the assassins creed series.

UrbanRats

Started this game finally and it's pretty fun (if with a somewhat shallow combat).
Also, the game is gorgeous (PC) goddamn... despite Mordor being a shithole, that is. :p

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Yeeah this game is so good. Almost 10 hours in, got shadow strike... that thing is awesome. I figured if I blasted through story quests I'd hate the game, and the captain killing system is so, so good. Game is surprisingly fantastic.

Also, the challenge is just perfect. I think getting the "5 hit to execution" skill and "Getting hit doesn't eliminate from your hit streak" skill kinda break the game since I just connect a few criticals and bam... orc down, but its so satisfying.

LOL. Just started an execution mission and right as it starts the executioner turns and runs in terror because the Uruk captain he was terrified of his rival, the captain he was supposed to be executing.

LOL. Just started an execution mission and right as it starts the executioner turns and runs in terror because the Uruk captain he was terrified of his rival, the captain he was supposed to be executing.

I love this stuff.

I have one Captain who just refuses to kill me but won't stop showing up. He turns up in the middle of all my big fracases, gets me down to the killing blow, and says, "Nah, too easy." He's my absolute boy. Can't wait to brand him and send him up the ladder.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
About 7 hours in and it's an enjoyable game but overwhelmingly derivative to the detriment of my enjoyment. I love the Arkham games and This game makes me realize how genius so many parts of that game are and how bored I am of the Assassins Creed franchise, more than anything.

Feel like it's a solid 7/10 at this point.

bodine1231

Decided to spend my playtime tonight and collect all of the Ithildin marks. The reward is
such bullshit,just a damn picture,really!? I was expecting at least a cosmetic upgrade,new move or mission. What a waste of time.

Just finished the game a little while ago. Man, the
fight against the Black Hand was a ton of fun. I just wish I could have taken more than two of them out myself. I finished off #2 and then my guys killed off the remaining three all within ten seconds of each other. XD
Game was solid overall, if a little tedious at points. It relied too much on the captain/warchief gimmick and didn't provide enough story direction. A very good game, just not a great one. But this is still a much better result than movie/book licenses usually get.

Game is amazing but the orcs that are Combat Masters in combination with immune to finishers and stuff are very very very difficult to bring down..like very hard.

Arken2121

Game is amazing but the orcs that are Combat Masters in combination with immune to finishers and stuff are very very very difficult to bring down..like very hard.

Those are the ones that are usually vulnerable to stealth finishers. I even had one weak to ranged attacks which made it a helluva lot easier. It sucks because you want to do a sweet finished on these guys but in a lot of cases, you can't.

Yeah, I had one guy that was immune to finishers, ranged, stealth and combat master. I actually didn't end up killing him directly but what happened is that I caught him in a stronghold with a ton of Caragor bait and let loose a ton of Caragors on him that tore him to pieces.

Aske

You are not alone. I feel like the worst gamer in history. Here's my situation. Just restarted the game and finished the tutorial. I jump off the forge tower and sneak around to scope things out but never move farther than 30 feet. I get spotted and a scramble back up to the tower until everything quiets down again. I jump back off and am hiding 400 feet away from a Orc targeted. I'm in a bush in stealth. Some nasty dude named Unstoppable appears from behind and whoops on me until I scramble back up to the tower. All of this and I haven't killed a single Orc since the tutorial. What the hell? I love this game and will keep playing but I'm just not good at all.

Protip: if the game is too hard, focus on yellow story missions. You can easily run past everything, so just sprint/parkour your way to each of the forge towers until they're activated for fast travel; maybe hunt for collectables to give you easy points for levelling up your health, and focus on story missions which will unlock core abilities.

The game's balance is very weird. You're pretty underpowered to start with, but as you play you become so godlike that many people find the game too easy. Saints Row 3 and 4 suffered from this too, and Shadow is significantly better, but there ought to be a NG+ or a Death Threat+ that massively levels up the orcs.

That said, I'm still having a blast after 30+ hours. Just got a rune that ignites 15% of my throwing daggers. Feels closer to 33%. Never bothered with them before; now I use them all the time. Same will be true of Shadow Strike when I grab Shadow Strike chain.

For me, the combat is more than varied enough to hold ny interest, and I still die now and again because I'm not slick enough to breeze through combat with prompts turned off and no health upgrades. But I shouldn't have to gimp myself.

The sequel will benefit from better balanced difficulty (Death Threat is an excellent start) and more varied sub-missions that present players with different ways to play. Nevertheless, for a game as ambitious as this one, this first entry gets an enormous number of things right.

Haven't bought the season pass yet, but I will. Best new gen game I've played, just edging past Wolfenstein. The latter is the better game, but I'm having far more fun with Shadow of Mordor than I've had with all the new gen games I've played put together.

Some Nobody

Those are the ones that are usually vulnerable to stealth finishers. I even had one weak to ranged attacks which made it a helluva lot easier. It sucks because you want to do a sweet finished on these guys but in a lot of cases, you can't.

Yeah, I had two separate cases of this earlier today. One guy who was apparently SUPER weak to ranged 'cause he was a Captain and I just offed him with a charged arrow. Then another guy who healed quick as shit, couldn't be Wraith Stunned, couldn't be jumped over, and wasn't really taking battle damage...but as it turned out he was weak to stealth finishers.

I got my distance and it was over in seconds, lol.

So this happened.

Dance, you fools.

tumblr_mfjrfg5tae1rqwusro1_500.gif
This post deserves more love.

27 hours in. I decided, as my playthrough matured, that I was going to collect all Ithildin and artifacts, even though I usually dislike collectathons. I want to know what happens when all Ithildin is in place, and I find the small stories within artifacts too good to miss.

I just unlocked that dagger final skill. Now I am become death. the destroyer of orcs.

I just fought some asshole tonight who kept regenerating bits of his life bar every 20 seconds or so. I had to stay on him, which isn't easy when he's a berserker-type with a bunch of goons hanging around him constantly. Had to call in some caragors for backup. XD

Arrrammis

I just fought some asshole tonight who kept regenerating bits of his life bar every 20 seconds or so. I had to stay on him, which isn't easy when he's a berserker-type with a bunch of goons hanging around him constantly. Had to call in some caragors for backup. XD

This reminds me of an avengers moment I had with a captain.

I set off the alarm in a fortress, and soon I had roughly 40 orcs, along with the captain, on my tail. I ran out of the fortress and lured them out as well. I was looking for some caragors, as there was no bait inside the fortress. Then I spotted something a little ways away, and left the orcs far behind to grab it. When I returned, the alarm was starting to go down, but I was quickly spotted and they all ran out after me.

I could practically hear the captain yelling, "I've got an army!"

And I respond: "I've got a Graug."

Apt101

I pulled off a sweet ass Jason Bourne caliber assassination. Invading some captain's event, he was surrounded by about 30 orcs, many berserkers and shield-bearers. I decided to ace the orc he was planning on executing to save time. After doing so he took off and began climbing a rise with his goons in tow. I noticed one of those ropes you can use to slide down. I jumped and grabbed it, slid over to the far away rise, let go, and air assassinated the fleeing captain. A few well-timed executions opened up breathing room in his horde, allowing me to scramble atop a small structure. Just then a caragor happened by. I lept on, wrested control, and used it to beat my way through the crowd to freedom. I shot a random mean-looking goblin I saw as I fled, and he turned out to be a captain as well. Three captains down in less than 60 seconds.

I got a rune that makes my fire arrows cause a big explosion and a rune that makes my unlimited fire-shot ability last an extra 10 seconds. It's pretty hilarious to just carpet-bomb a whole stronghold at once.

So just beat the game on PS4. First of all goodness is this game beautiful. Secondly god dang is the gameplay solid. Thirdly good god is the music amazing. This game is so damn good and we better get a sequel or two which should be happening as I know WB are looking at this as their next possible big franchise. Now ending story question from a LOTR fan.
Whats the deal with Talions eyes glowing at the end and hik mentioning a new rule? Is he turning evil? I kind of got a weird vibe the whole game that something was off with Celebrimbor but this is never addressed. And was the Black Hand supposed to actually be Sauron in a physical form? Sorry just lots of questions.

Hehe, I had to die a handful of times near the end trying to get a level 25 rune (and NOT a darn epic rune!) and also for the one where you get one of your killers to become a warchief. Someone out there probably thinks I'm an absolute scrub.

Same here. I found a warchief with an easy fear to exploit and just died over and over from him until he was level 20. He went from level 8 to level 20 so somebody out there thinks I'm shit.

I spent about two hand a half hours leveling up my captain, helping him take out his rivals to prepare him for chiefdom. We had killed almost all the captains and I went to dominate him to send him on his next mission when I pressed X a second time and accidentally killed him :'( You will be remembered, Horhog the Complainer.

So just beat the game on PS4. First of all goodness is this game beautiful. Secondly god dang is the gameplay solid. Thirdly good god is the music amazing. This game is so damn good and we better get a sequel or two which should be happening as I know WB are looking at this as their next possible big franchise. Now ending story question from a LOTR fan.
Whats the deal with Talions eyes glowing at the end and hik mentioning a new rule? Is he turning evil? I kind of got a weird vibe the whole game that something was off with Celebrimbor but this is never addressed. And was the Black Hand supposed to actually be Sauron in a physical form? Sorry just lots of questions.

It's my understanding the game takes canon into consideration, but it branches off in its own direction. Take that how you will.

MUnited83

For you.
Holy shit, the game keeps track of even the grunts you branded. I was just killed and in the nemesis menu a completely new captain appeared, and I could immediately see him(no hidden figure) and he was already branded!

RVinP

Unconfirmed Member
I have a query..

Game runs fine with textures set to high on my GTX 760 2GB card. But when I use x64 dll's from Boulotaur2024's Injector (for SweetFX), the game starts to shutter at random intervals.

Has anyone faced this behavior?

BigDug13

Holy shit, the game keeps track of even the grunts you branded. I was just killed and in the nemesis menu a completely new captain appeared, and I could immediately see him(no hidden figure) and he was already branded!

That's awesome. I knew it kept track of your brands for the regular orcs that weren't special "spawned because an alarm went off" orcs. I've fast traveled to older locations and seen the blue icon of info about my brands in the area so it definitely keeps track.

I didn't know it always promoted already existing orcs and that those already existing orcs could already be from your group of random branded orcs. I thought that unless it was promoting an Orc who killed you, it was just generating orcs to promote. This system is deeper than I thought. Really hope they can expand on it.

nStruct

Neo Member
This is the best game I've played this year. Completed the story missions, and am definitely going back to clean everything else up. Well done Monolith!

Skux

Finally playing this game and loving it. I love how you're just dropped into this big dynamic world and seeing the power struggles changing as you die or finish missions. It really feels like the world exists without the player's involvement.

kaiiri

i'm not a LOTR lore person at all so take what I say with a grain of salt. but my assumption was:

Celebrimdor was just using Talion the whole time. Talion thought he had to kill the black hand in order to be free and be with his family but that was wrong, Celeb was just keeping him alive for his own purposes (revenge and such). With the end and his eyes glowing I just assume, based on the ending and the conversation, that Talion decided he doesn't want to fully die until he does all in his power to stop the evil. Which in turns leads him to wanting to create a new ring of power...... that or maybe celeb is slowing fully taking over? ... I don't know. I played the game to kill orcs. XD

I didn't feel that good at the game until I watched this Dev talk about all the ways to use the environment.

Now, when I'm in a stronghold, before I make my move, I unlock all the tigers, shoot all the meat, brand some archers, shoot some bee hives, mount a tiger, and things feel a lot easier.

Also, reducing the hit streak from 8 to 5 and being able to take and not interrupt the chain really help. I heaven't focused on runes, don't have that many unlocked, and I still haven't died in quite a while.

Before you have the hit streak to 5, stun a dude, unleash a bunch of attacks, and start decapitating.

And unlocking the perk to stun dudes when you flip over their shields really helps, too,

Basically, combat upgrades first. Hope that helps anyone having trouble.

I can't love this game enough. Being the biggest Tolkien fan on earth helps, but I seriously might Platinum my first game here. I just want to see everything, every unlock, every mission. I barely use my bow, and I'm going to start working on that once I finish reforging the sword. Oh, and I'm about to unlock the 20 sec unlimited execution upgrade. Can't wait to use this one when I'm surrounded by baddies.

My GOTY by a mile. Dragon Age doesn't stand a chance (well, maybe a chance xD).

Just started the game on PS4 tonight. It's so good! I've just met and helped
Ratbag
, so I'm not too far in to the game. I kind of ran off doing my own thing. Hell, at one point I was fighting 3 Captains at one time!

This is the best game I've played this year. Completed the story missions, and am definitely going back to clean everything else up. Well done Monolith!

Gotta agree. Probably my GOTY so far. I actually loved the plot and was worried as a big LOTR fan how they would do. Monolith did Tolkien lore amazing justice.

Just started the game on PS4 tonight. It's so good! I've just met and helped
Ratbag
, so I'm not too far in to the game. I kind of ran off doing my own thing. Hell, at one point I was fighting 3 Captains at one time!

Although it's structure is totally different, it reminds me of Elder Scrolls/Fallout in the way you can completely ignore the main missions and just bliss out in the beautiful 1080p sandbox. You're in for a treat. Wait until you get to
the second map.
It's a beaut.

Also, feel free to add me for Vendetta missions. Been really enjoying taking out everyone's nemeses.

PSN: WheelHoss1

Just reached the end, loved the game, but the ending was really awful and underwhelming IMO.

Not sure how the story can be tied together with Tolkien's world though. My greatest gripe about the game is that there is no single moment which reminds me strongly of the world Tolkien created.
Gollum
and
Saruman
's appearances also feel extremely shoehorned into the game and seems to be at odds with what is already established in the lore at the time this game is set...

The
forging of the rings
didn't do anything for you? As a longtime Tolkien fan, I got chills.

I actually like the curve. It's how I wish The Force Unleashed had been. I wanted to be untouchable by the end. Instead they made a bunch of enemies immune to the powers and it just felt like they counteracted the whole story of getting strong and upgraded.

I guess most people aren't into that it seems.

My issue was that they made some enemies near impossible to defeat on your own. Once you had the ability to brand you could utilise another warchief, but its just too hard up until that point IMO.

Thanks Guastavoh!

Top Bottom