• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor |OT| One Title to rule them all

Maybe I am just bad at games... I see a lot of people claiming how easy the game is, but I died probably 50 times before I just gave up and uninstalled. Couldn't hack it. Several captains ranked up to power level 20 because they killed me so many times.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
I just started playing yesterday but I think the story is awesome so far. It is one of the best premises that I have experienced in the last few years. I fail to see how anyone could knock it unless it really comes apart later on.

I'd agree that the premise is a strong one, but the story is a little weak throughout and there are no real stand-out moments (the climax included unfortunately). The main story missions are pretty much all just tutorials for side-quests. It might have been a bit more cohesive if I hadn't spent so much time away from it doing side-missions, but that's what your really supposed to be doing.

Maybe it was just me but there are 2 enemies you fight later in the game and I had no idea who they were
When I was heading toward the climax at the Black Gate I thought I was fighting Sauron. Turns out I am fighting someone else and then I actually AM fighting Sauron. Except that I'm not fighting anyone as it was all a cut scene

I still absolutely loved the game, but improved story missions should be top of their list for the sequel

Maybe I am just bad at games... I see a lot of people claiming how easy the game is, but I died probably 50 times before I just gave up and uninstalled. Couldn't hack it. Several captains ranked up to power level 20 because they killed me so many times.

Give it another go, 1 or 2 extra abilities from the upgrade tree make a massive difference. There's nothing quite like murdering 50 orcs in a single fight.

hbkdx12

So im not sure if this is a glitch but can you not command branded captains from the first area to murder other captains?

So im headed towards the endgame and i have my entire army on the second area branded and any new captains that get introduced, i send a death threat and either send another captain or a warchief to start a power struggle and then brand then branded them in the midst of it.

But when i tried this on the first island it never worked. I found a branded captain and then told him to murder another captain but it didnt create a power struggle like its suppose to. I passed time but still didnt work. Tried it with a a different captain and it still didnt work. I went back to the second area and commanded my captain to take out a new captain and it worked

This happen to anyone else?

Anyone?

Nabs

You probably just need to do more main missions. You become very OP very quickly.

The enemy respawn rate is a bit ridiculous in this game. I literally turned a corner and saw a bunch of red arrows pop up on the radar where I was 15 seconds ago. Had to record it to make sure I wasn't imagining things.

iJudged

Banned
Ive played about 7 hours so far and its ok but not clicking for me. the game is depressingly brown.
For a second I thought you were taking about the drive club...
Denzel-Washington-Boom-Gif.gif

Couldn't help it

The enemy respawn rate is a bit ridiculous in this game. I literally turned a corner and saw a bunch of red arrows pop up on the radar where I was 15 seconds ago. Had to record it to make sure I wasn't imagining things.

Unless I'm terribly mistaken, the red arrows in the minimap are for enemies you're aware of (i.e. within your perception radius) and enemies with red arrows over their head are ones that are aware of YOU. So it could be a case of them wandering into your perception.

The game seems to try making their entry believable. For instance, in alerted strongholds enemies will arrive through doors and stuff, instead of merely popping into the world. I think I've also seen them arrive from outside the stronghold as well.

Then again, there are cases where enemies (such as freshly-branded captains) vanish immediately after you let them go... so you might be right.

Knowing your enemies' and your environment's capabilities goes a long way to winning battles. Specifically, know a captain's weaknesses, fears, strengths, and hates before confronting them if you're having difficulty. And if they're too much... it's OK to run. Basically, be adaptable.

Also, as others have said, story (and side-) missions will be a relatively safe and easy way to acclimitize to the gameplay as well as gain power.

Woo-Fu

Banned

Get your controller checked out, you probably have a broken "Y" button.

That's weird, I thought the game replaced captains after a certain point of leveling them up, because yeah... A poor player could otherwise keep dying and leveling up opposing captains in an endless negative feedback loop...

That's weird, I thought the game replaced captains after a certain point of leveling them up, because yeah... A poor player could otherwise keep dying and leveling up opposing captains in an endless negative feedback loop...

It replaces dead captains, not living ones.

It's possible some of the stronger captains might also knock off weaker captains, or possibly even bite off more than they can chew and end up dying themselves.

Apt101

There is someone I have avenged at least 5 times since I started playing. I could see the combat not clicking with someone, but having played the Batman games it feels natural to me.

Mindman

I love this game so much. It's not so challenging that I die too much, but just enough that I die once in a while. So good.

Levyne

Banned
There is someone I have avenged at least 5 times since I started playing. I could see the combat not clicking with someone, but having played the Batman games it feels natural to me.

Hehe, I had to die a handful of times near the end trying to get a level 25 rune (and NOT a darn epic rune!) and also for the one where you get one of your killers to become a warchief. Someone out there probably thinks I'm an absolute scrub.

SJRB

Gold Member
I finally traveled back to Udûn to face my nemesis. He tormented me throughout the first hours of the game and went from low-level captain all the way to war chief, got pretty powerful and I kind of avoided him.

But now I've gotten stronger, gained more power. I hunted him down and he actually set a trap for me. He lured me to an abandoned building to take me on 1v1. The sheer arrogance kind of blew my mind. A foolish mistake that would end up costing him dearly, because even with all his power he was no match.

In a final moment he fell on his knees, amazed how fast he was beaten. For a moment I contemplated branding him, but this orc deserved no second chance, no mercy. I stabbed him in earlier fights, thinking it was the end. This time I left nothing to chance: I slowly slit his throat and then ended his misery by cutting off his ugly head.

No epic rune. Well shit.

DOWN

Banned
So what's the consensus on this game now? I'm still really enjoying it 21 hours in. Definitely think it is worthy of a sequel.

Mentok

Banned
I believe it is found in abilities/upgrades menu, it's the third tab.

Thanks!

Now I'm going to go killing warchiefs ... I know I'll have to forward time to replenish them for the main story, but right now I feel like ruining the army. It's so funny the goals you can set. For example, I got killed by a grunt and I wanted revenge. Twice I went after him, and twice I had to flee due to the sheer number of orcs. Now, he's climbed up to be the bodyguard to a warchief. I don't want to kill him just yet, in fact I WANT him to become a warchief. So I'm going to target his warchief instead, then when he's at his highest, I'll get my revenge!

Woo-Fu

Banned
So what's the consensus on this game now? I'm still really enjoying it 21 hours in. Definitely think it is worthy of a sequel.

This is one of the few games that the more I play it the more I like it. The combat was awfully repetitious at the start, the environments bland, the story formulaic, etc. Almost all of that gets "fixed" a number of hours in, when you get to the point of realizing this is just an Orc-killing simulation and enjoy it for that.

The way they handle the captains is sooooo good. "I'm going to go assassinate this guy." Then it turns out there is another captain over there, and another shows up just for the hell of it, then suddenly you're faced with 3-4 captains with varying abilities/gangs and have to come up with a solution for dealing with all of them. Makes for new encounters on a regular basis, new situations you haven't faced previously in the game.

Feels like a natural evolution of the miniboss system that started with diablo? Seems crazy that it took this long for somebody to take it to the next level.

I just finished it, it took 15 hours.

I really enjoyed it.. was there a post credit scene? I skipped the credits because they went on forever:(

DLC may need to be purchased..

Also, how do you access the other three challenge modes mentioned?

They're not out yet... I guess? I've been through the whole game and not seen a single peep about them.

I sorta thought all four of the challenge modes AND the Bright Lord DLC would be in the game day-1, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

They're not out yet... I guess? I've been through the whole game and not seen a single peep about them.

I sorta thought all four of the challenge modes AND the Bright Lord DLC would be in the game day-1, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

Wow, really? It said "early access" in the season pass on the thing? I guess you get the content earlier than buying separately?

I can't say it appeals to me much though.
Was there a post credits scene?

PARANO1A

I just started last night and died about six times before turning off the game. I really need help not sucking.

Ferrio

Banned
The difficulty curve is just not that great. Game starts off challenging (especially if you take one people bigger than you, or keep dying to someone). But once you get like shadow strike and stuff... it becomes a lot easier.

The difficulty curve is just not that great. Game starts off challenging (especially if you take one people bigger than you, or keep dying to someone). But once you get like shadow strike and stuff... it becomes a lot easier.
And once you get branding it becomes ridiculously easy.
One of my favourite games, but the difficulty curve is upside down. I guess towards the end you can make it harder for yourself, but early on is a joke. Stick with it though guys.

Woo-Fu

Banned
You quickly get to a point where you only really die to surprises. I can take on 2-3 captains at once, methodically working my way through the grand melee until a wild caragor appears mid-animation and I don't get out of the way in time.

Hystzen

The game is legit fun and right amount challenge if you only have first tier upgrades nothing else. No weapon rune slot upgrades, no health or extra shot.

Batman has it tough because even lowly rabble can have guns, whereas Talion is able to slowly Wraith-walk out of the way of even the fastest spears and throwing axes.

yeah i saw that but its been grayed out since release. I can never play it.

There must have been some problem registering/downloading/authenticating the content. I'm not sure what you'd do in that case...

DOWN

Banned

And once you get branding it becomes ridiculously easy.
One of my favourite games, but the difficulty curve is upside down. I guess towards the end you can make it harder for yourself, but early on is a joke. Stick with it though guys.

I actually like the curve. It's how I wish The Force Unleashed had been. I wanted to be untouchable by the end. Instead they made a bunch of enemies immune to the powers and it just felt like they counteracted the whole story of getting strong and upgraded.

I guess most people aren't into that it seems.

Ferrio

Banned
I actually like the curve. It's how I wish The Force Unleashed had been. I wanted to be untouchable by the end. Instead they made a bunch of enemies immune to the powers and it just felt like they counteracted the whole story of getting strong and upgraded.

I guess most people aren't into that it seems.

It ramps up too quickly. I don't mind being a god towards the end, but i felt this way soon as I got to the new map, and I didn't even have brand at that point.

Only had it for a few days now, but having a great time.

I think Nemesis stuff makes it super fun. I am annoyed that there was a guy called "Goroth the Caragor Tamer" or something like that who wore a caragor helmet whose special traits listed him as being afraid of caragors :-/

I'm just gonna take it as a case of the other orcs giving him an ironic nickname

Picked up the game yesterday, and really enjoy it...until I start getting motion sickness for some reason, something that's never happened to me with a third-party title before. My head still hurts. -_-

Joco

Can't complete any Recruitment missions as the game glitches and doesn't recognize the mission as finished... Hope this gets patched.

Sorian

Banned
Can't complete any Recruitment missions as the game glitches and doesn't recognize the mission as finished... Hope this gets patched.

Might be a silly question but you follow the Orc after the first group is taken care of right? They usually try to recruit 3 groups before the mission is considered done.

Only had it for a few days now, but having a great time.

I think Nemesis stuff makes it super fun. I am annoyed that there was a guy called "Goroth the Caragor Tamer" or something like that who wore a caragor helmet whose special traits listed him as being afraid of caragors :-/

I'm just gonna take it as a case of the other orcs giving him an ironic nickname

The missions with Ratbag talk about a captain who surrounds himself with caragors for protection but is also afraid of them (and week to them). Maybe your caragor tamer was mute of a show off.

Loving the game myself, I think my main issue with open world games has been due to the IP rather than the mechanics and feeling of being list amid a million collectible missions

Aeqvitas

Just finished 100% on achievements.

Was a solid game. I wish the maps were a little larger as it kind of breaks immersion thinking that huge areas of mordor are less than a mile across. Larger areas and more rewards for exploring and collectibles would be nice (I had way too much of the points you can only spend on attributes), and I only ever got rare runes for the sword and dagger. Pretty much every captain and war chief was immune to ranged for me, so never go to get anything awesome for the bow :'(

I hope this sparks a new wave of good Middle Earth titles, it was the most fun I had in middle earth in a very long time.

Joco

Might be a silly question but you follow the Orc after the first group is taken care of right? They usually try to recruit 3 groups before the mission is considered done.

How long does it take to get to these groups? Every time I've tried it there's about 6 guys who I kill and then I have followed the orc around but I usually end up being swarmed in a stronghold and just give up because I assumed the mission glitched. I guess I'll have to give it another go and follow a guy for a while.

The missions with Ratbag talk about a captain who surrounds himself with caragors for protection but is also afraid of them (and week to them). Maybe your caragor tamer was mute of a show off.

Loving the game myself, I think my main issue with open world games has been due to the IP rather than the mechanics and feeling of being list amid a million collectible missions

Oh wow... It's specifically addressed by in game dialogue? And here I thought it was randomly generated attributes with a logical flaw. Nice Monolith.

Yeah, the collect'em up fests are what I hate the most about Assassin's Creed. Even though I'm doing side missions I'm trying not to get too bogged down in that stuff and just enjoy other things like the combat and nemesis system.

How long does it take to get to these groups? Every time I've tried it there's about 6 guys who I kill and then I have followed the orc around but I usually end up being swarmed in a stronghold and just give up because I assumed the mission glitched. I guess I'll have to give it another go and follow a guy for a while.

All uruk power missions will give you a "results" screen when they reach a conclusion, outlining whether they succeeded, their power increase (if any), as well as your rewards (if any). If you haven't seen that screen yet the mission isn't over.

negitoro7

I haven't done much side missions, but I'm at the point where I can't advance the story without taking on the warchiefs. It doesn't feel like I'm strong enough to take them on yet as I get my ass beat over and over.

Am I not powered enough yet since I haven't done a whole lot of side missions?

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
I really hope the nemesis system will inspire other devs, I really like the idea. It's the kind of thing that should become a standard in RPGs. Imagine a game like Skyrim with something like this.

To me, this is a good way to bridge the gap between cinema and games, not more fancy cinematics. You want to go back to this world to find out what happened with your nemesis, to get revenge, etc., and it's all emergent.

BigDug13

Just finished 100% on achievements.

Was a solid game. I wish the maps were a little larger as it kind of breaks immersion thinking that huge areas of mordor are less than a mile across. Larger areas and more rewards for exploring and collectibles would be nice (I had way too much of the points you can only spend on attributes), and I only ever got rare runes for the sword and dagger. Pretty much every captain and war chief was immune to ranged for me, so never go to get anything awesome for the bow :'(

I hope this sparks a new wave of good Middle Earth titles, it was the most fun I had in middle earth in a very long time.

Open world games are always like this. You mean to tell me the entire nation of Skyrim can be walked across in a few minutes?

It's nearly impossible to make hand-crafted open worlds that feel like true size to what they're supposed to represent. Even Los Santos is a tiny piece of what LA is.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
I haven't done much side missions, but I'm at the point where I can't advance the story without taking on the warchiefs. It doesn't feel like I'm strong enough to take them on yet as I get my ass beat over and over.

Am I not powered enough yet since I haven't done a whole lot of side missions?

Tbh yes, but this is pretty much the only hump you need to get over. From this point on you will be a death dealing machine

Arrrammis

yeah i saw that but its been grayed out since release. I can never play it.

I really wish someone would post this in the OP:

What I had to do is go back to the game page in the PSN store and hit the download button (where buy was before). It should pop up with two options, both say Shadow of Mordor, but one of them is free. Select that one and it should start downloading the pre-order bonuses for you.

Hopefully this works for you, if not restore licenses and try again.

gdt

Just finished it. Overall a great game, but the story missions were so tame overall. Like someone above said, a good chunk are just tutorials.

They need to have a better campaign for the next game. Far better. But great content overall, meaty, fantastic side missions and collectibles. Combat system and enemies right out of Batman AC so I was right at home, and an amazing Nemesis system. Other games might need to implement it. It makes bad guys very memorable.

98.5% complete. Got stuck on the hunting challenges, have no idea what a dire caragore is.

Edit: 30 hours on the dot.

Top Bottom