• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor |OT| One Title to rule them all

Think I'm a little behind. 12 hours in, just got to the second area...wow.

Never thought I'd be getting Shadow of the Colossus vibes from this game

Second area is where the game really shines in my opinion. Story gets awesome, cool characters, more nemesis stuff opens up. Plus it helps that area is gorgeous.

I really didn't expect anything from this game. Bought a PS4 last month with TLOU, Killzone, and Infamous and finished them all and had nothing to play so I picked this up. 24 hours in, just finished the story. Pretty much everything in the game is awesome. The Batman combat, the traversal (aside from the occasional stuck character), the LOTR vibe.

Also, the graphics are insane, I didn't expect this game to shine the way it did, especially in the second area. On sunny days, I would find myself just staring through a tree at the rays of light pouring through. So damn good looking

I picked the game up here in Taiwan and not only did it come with 5 DLC bonuses backed in, it come in this sweet embossed steelbook case:

middleearth-shadow-of-mordor-steelbook-edition-english-365049.8.jpg

Anyone else get this edition?

El-Suave

Played till 4am last night mopping up some trophies since I decided to go for Platinum.
I'll be getting their campaign dlc for sure. Too bad I'm not into challenge rooms and leaderboards otherwise the season pass would be mine. That stuff doesn't interest or motivate me no matter how good the game or its systems are.

Loomba

With branded captains, how do I help them with recruitment missions?

And how when I brand a captain can I make them follow me, I branded a really high level captain in a stronghold and ran away and all he done was stay trying to fight like 100 orcs and ended up getting himself killed.

Moff

With branded captains, how do I help them with recruitment missions?

And how when I brand a captain can I make them follow me, I branded a really high level captain in a stronghold and ran away and all he done was stay trying to fight like 100 orcs and ended up getting himself killed.

when they see he doesnt attack you they call him traitor and attack him.
I think fast traveling away will save him.
they cant die if you are not present.

tebunker

Banned
when they see he doesnt attack you they call him traitor and attack him.
I think fast traveling away will save him.
they cant die if you are not present.

I am going to try that now. I lost 2 guys last night. It is really hard to do if you are in a stronghold.

Love this game, oddly enough I really like the hunting missions and the character they introduced is a better companion imo vs the outcast guy

Dance, you fools.

tumblr_mfjrfg5tae1rqwusro1_500.gif

post-14969-the-shire-cant-handle-this-gif-a067.gif

Finished the game just yesterday late at night at 91%. Will be going back for dat 100%. Been juggling between this and Driveclub but as the servers were not working on DC, I stopped playing DC till everything is fixed and opted to give my time to SOM more.

In short, I really loved and enjoyed my time with the game. I'll list the things I loved and disliked about the game.

- I thought Talon's design was meh, but Celebrimbor's design from look to voice is awesome. I really enjoyed him as a character much more even though Talon provided the main hook and reason to go on because of what happened in the beginning.

- The story in the beginning was great but as I progressed it became less and less important to me. I expected alot more from a game based on LOTR with all the lore but in the end it was ok. It lost me when I reached the second place, the high points of the story is learning more about Celebrimbor's past. Another optional part of the story that I loved is the Artifacts which shed more insight into the world of the game, bonus marks for it being voiced greatly besides being just texts, love how both Talon and Celebrimbor comment on whatever Artifact you pick up, the other collectibles were forgettable. Ending was
left open I suppose, for a sequel but it kind of looked Talon wanted to go on and have the power to stop Sauron although that just screams to me that he'll be corrupt like the rest of the ring holders. I don't know, we'll see what will happen.

- Gameplay is perfect and basically everything you do just feels very good from walking to jumping, slicing and dicing just looks really smooth. I love the sound design as well but some of the sounds in the game felt muffled for some reason and I'm rocking a home theater setup so maybe that's why I'm noticing it easily, it's jarring to say the least but nothing game breaking.

- This game is the definition of badassery, the more you progress, the more you get god like and it feels awesome. People may see this as making the game easy but honestly who the fuck cares when it looks and feels so good.

- Game had fun challenges a.k.a side missions of sorts and would only get hard because of captains showing up randomly lol! The most boring one is the outcast missions however, the last outcast mission is pretty damn good.

- The nemesis system is really good and while I didn't die alot, I still enjoyed branding, meeting up with orcs that killed me as well as unique one's that didn't. I think what I loved most about is meeting up with orcs I previously fought with but never killed in the challenges which really mixed things up especially when more than 1 captain show up. So good.

- The second part of the game is way better than the first. In terms of environments and characters. It's kind of disappointing that the boss fights are very forgettable, save for one near the end whose design I thought was just FANTASTIC.
The Tower, reminds me of something out of Hellraiser
, wish we had more of him.

Overall, I thought the game was really good and I had alot of fun. I definitely recommend it to anyone who is willing to have a great fun time and experience something familiar but done fucking well and feels really good with a unique mechanic which is the Nemesis system. Loved it.

Tizoc

Decided to spend my playtime tonight and collect all of the Ithildin marks. The reward is
such bullshit,just a damn picture,really!? I was expecting at least a cosmetic upgrade,new move or mission. What a waste of time.

You've just described the concept of collectables in open world games :V

Interfectum

Beat the game last night. Last couple battles pretty disappointing. Anticlimactic I guess would be a better word. Overall the game was fun as hell but very derivative.

BigDug13

You get so much more from the other quests though that it's insignificant.

BTW I found out late in the game you can sell runes for M currency.

I've beaten the game, collected all runes, done quite a few side missions, and still have one last ability to unlock, so I'm not sure that it's insignificant since I still haven't unlocked everything. It's still something more than a game like AC gives you for collectibles to have what little M those items give you.

I've beaten the game, collected all runes, done quite a few side missions, and still have one last ability to unlock, so I'm not sure that it's insignificant since I still haven't unlocked everything. It's still something more than a game like AC gives you for collectibles to have what little M those items give you.

I think AC is an incredibly low bar to set it to. In general if you need to collect x number of things you better at least give me something like a new outfit; I mean even Black Flag gave you a new outfit with some new abilities.

BigDug13

I think AC is an incredibly low bar to set it to. In general if you need to collect x number of things you better at least give me something like a new outfit; I mean even Black Flag gave you a new outfit with some new abilities.

Bottom line is that the collectibles in this game were unnecessary (all collectibles technically are) but were not overly done like AC, and at least they gave you a tiny shred of something you can use to unlock abilities. I never felt like I was overwhelmed by collectibles in this particular game. I was able to collect them all without feeling like a chore which I have yet to do in any AC game because it literally does feel like a chore. Even GTA I collected enough hidden packages to get some decent weapons at the hideout then I stopped. I usually never collect everything and I did in this game. So that says something.

Josh378

Playing the PC version. Playing in 1440p is a dream (HD textures) with everything on ultra. Never want to go back to 1080p ever. PC version is amazing with a PS4 controller. Who has their setup like that as well?

El-Suave

Trying to obtain a Rune 25 is worse than trying to get Legendary or Exotics in Destiny :(

I had left one lying around in the environment. I didn't collect non-epic runes anymore after a while since I had so many, so my map was cluttered with rune icons. By accident I was hovering above one of them one the map screen and I was REALLY happy that one was just there waiting for me to pick it up. May be worth checking that out if you did the same and have played for a while.

I had left one lying around in the environment. I didn't collect non-epic runes anymore after a while since I had so many, so my map was cluttered with rune icons. By accident I was hovering above one of them one the map screen and I was REALLY happy that one was just there waiting for me to pick it up. May be worth checking that out if you did the same and have played for a while.

Damn you. I had to grind one warchief for 30 minutes to get one.

Dolor

Just finished the story at about 28 hours. I may go for some more achievements just as an excuse to spend some more time with it. Probably my favorite action game of all time. I'm not sure how I am supposed to want to play batman now when all I want is more of this game.

Luckily, this game appears to be getting enough buzz that a sequel is likely, but in the meantime, all other action games look like a bore to me.

Levyne

Banned
I am contemplating getting this game but i dont know which other game this compares to can anyone who has played the game let me know

Obviously no single game comparison is gonna be entirely correct but it's most similar to the Batman Arkham games, without gadgets, with generated orc enemies.

I want a deal for this game to come so bad. I need dat $40 sale. Please Amazon.

I got mine at Target on day one for retail price with a $10 gift card. That's $50 in my mind. And the best $50 dollars I've spent this year since I've already put 60+ hours into it. EDIT: I haven't put this many hours in since... FFX or Fallout 3.

Does the season pass unlock anything that I can do post game?

Danielsan

Finished the story missions today. 17 hours, 76% total completion. I might go in for 15-30 minutes every now and then to clean up the side stuff and mess with the Orcs.

By the way. Is there any way to get the pre-order costume if you haven't pre-ordered the game? The answer is probably no, but it's worth a shot.

post-14969-the-shire-cant-handle-this-gif-a067.gif

Finished the game just yesterday late at night at 91%. Will be going back for dat 100%. Been juggling between this and Driveclub but as the servers were not working on DC, I stopped playing DC till everything is fixed and opted to give my time to SOM more.

In short, I really loved and enjoyed my time with the game. I'll list the things I loved and disliked about the game.

- I thought Talon's design was meh, but Celebrimbor's design from look to voice is awesome. I really enjoyed him as a character much more even though Talon provided the main hook and reason to go on because of what happened in the beginning.

- The story in the beginning was great but as I progressed it became less and less important to me. I expected alot more from a game based on LOTR with all the lore but in the end it was ok. It lost me when I reached the second place, the high points of the story is learning more about Celebrimbor's past. Another optional part of the story that I loved is the Artifacts which shed more insight into the world of the game, bonus marks for it being voiced greatly besides being just texts, love how both Talon and Celebrimbor comment on whatever Artifact you pick up, the other collectibles were forgettable. Ending was
left open I suppose, for a sequel but it kind of looked Talon wanted to go on and have the power to stop Sauron although that just screams to me that he'll be corrupt like the rest of the ring holders. I don't know, we'll see what will happen.

- Gameplay is perfect and basically everything you do just feels very good from walking to jumping, slicing and dicing just looks really smooth. I love the sound design as well but some of the sounds in the game felt muffled for some reason and I'm rocking a home theater setup so maybe that's why I'm noticing it easily, it's jarring to say the least but nothing game breaking.

- This game is the definition of badassery, the more you progress, the more you get god like and it feels awesome. People may see this as making the game easy but honestly who the fuck cares when it looks and feels so good.

- Game had fun challenges a.k.a side missions of sorts and would only get hard because of captains showing up randomly lol! The most boring one is the outcast missions however, the last outcast mission is pretty damn good.

- The nemesis system is really good and while I didn't die alot, I still enjoyed branding, meeting up with orcs that killed me as well as unique one's that didn't. I think what I loved most about is meeting up with orcs I previously fought with but never killed in the challenges which really mixed things up especially when more than 1 captain show up. So good.

- The second part of the game is way better than the first. In terms of environments and characters. It's kind of disappointing that the boss fights are very forgettable, save for one near the end whose design I thought was just FANTASTIC.
The Tower, reminds me of something out of Hellraiser
, wish we had more of him.

Overall, I thought the game was really good and I had alot of fun. I definitely recommend it to anyone who is willing to have a great fun time and experience something familiar but done fucking well and feels really good with a unique mechanic which is the Nemesis system. Loved it.

Excellent...really great impressions, thanks. Will buy.

Finished the story missions today. 17 hours, 76% total completion. I might go in for 15-30 minutes every now and then to clean up the side stuff and mess with the Orcs.

By the way. Is there any way to get the pre-order costume if you haven't pre-ordered the game? The answer is probably no, but it's worth a shot.

I saw it on eBay for $15. =/

Second area is where the game really shines in my opinion. Story gets awesome, cool characters, more nemesis stuff opens up. Plus it helps that area is gorgeous.

This is great to hear. Just about to start the 2nd area. Loved the game so far, so the fact it gets even better is awesome.

Calderc

Um...have i got a bug?

I've got the 5 Warchiefs branded, but it still says 'Current Objective Brand 5 Warchiefs' then in the corner it says Warcheifs Branded 5/5.

Help?

Maybesew

I'm on the mission to kill 4 warchiefs (1 down so far), and the wraith
has remembered his name.

About how far in the game am i? 25%?

Fantastic game, but I'm finding the combat is becoming less and less challenging with each mission.

Like, I just finished the one with the warchiefs and not a single one presented a challenge. Not even the one who has two captains as back up. The berserkers aren't up to much either.

I'm enjoying it, but I already feel very OP and I'm not even 40% into the game yet. I can't begin to imagine how much more OP I'll be when I unlock other powers and more weapon upgrades.

Hell, not even Caramours are presenting much of a challenge. I didn't expect the world to scale to my level, but I had hoped they would keep introducing newer and more powerful enemies or at least make the warchiefs really formidable with each one presenting a unique challenge.

SJRB

Gold Member
npT854M.jpg

This game is sooooo freaking good. It's been so long since I could just lose all track of time when playing a game. I started playing at 8pm just now and boom, suddenly it's 11pm. The combat is ultra-satisfying, the stealth takedowns are so amazing.

I finally scraped enough currency to unlock Shadow of Acharn. I was in serious doubt if I should get the Flames of Urfael or this one, but just straight up stealth-executing a huge group is incredibly satisfying. Ultimate badass.

God bless you, Monolith.

The power struggle recruitment missions are totally glitched for me. 3 out of 4 times the captain i'm supposed to be helping just fucking bugs out and wanders off, so the mission never ends. At first i thought it was because i was attracting too many orcs to the fight, but no matter how i play the same thing usually happens, it's pretty annoying.

I sort of had that once. I just grabbed him round the neck and brought him closer to his enemy :p

I've spent about 5 or so hours in the map after finishing the game and didn't even know you could break down/sell runes. I guess that would have made levelling up skills a lot quicker but probably too easy by end game as well.

I still feel the powers on display are just way to much. I'm not an expert on the lore of it all but surely one man being able to kill 100 orcs in a room without a scratch and to be able to explode their heads with his mind is going too far?

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
I need 1 more trophy for the Platinum and its that damn Level 25 rune one that I need to get.

You can guarantee a level 25 if:
- Enemy is a Warchief
- Enemy is lv 20
- You take advantage of a weakness
- You take advantage of the enemies fear
- Enemy is a revenge target (ie he has killed you before)

You may be able to leave one of these of the list. Your best bet is to find a captain near level 20, let him kill you, help him become a Warchief and then kill him.

DO NOT issue a death threat as it will increase your chances to get an epic.Try not to kill him yourself as well, use combat brand on other orcs or brand his captain(s) beforehand. Killing him yourself also increases your chances of an epic

I still feel the powers on display are just way to much. I'm not an expert on the lore of it all but surely one man being able to kill 100 orcs in a room without a scratch and to be able to explode their heads with his mind is going too far?

It's a bit mental all right but tbf your not just a man, your a hybrid of a resurrected ranger and a very powerful elven wraith (he forged the rings of power!)

WHAT???? How?

Press square on the rune that you want to sell on the rune selection screen. A few people have not noticed this, the game reminded me of this fairly often IIRC

Top Bottom