• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor |OT| One Title to rule them all

kenta

Has no PEINS
Where is a good place to find rats? I'm on garden challenge 9 and yet still stuck finding rats, which I haven't seen in forever

D23

Why is this game so good?!

I bought it on impulse buy since Driveclub servers are not working and and I LOVE IT!

I dont even know why.... I dont like AC games but this one, I cant stop playing it.

Damn im about to buy the game because driveclub server. But im still on the fence. Ur post kinda persuade me to just get the game

Branding is so awesome.
Branded entire stronghold before a Warchief encounter

I wish I could go back in time and brand some of my favorite captains that I ended up killing before I unlocked it. Like, there was this one guy who "died" and came back 5 times, and another with a flaming helmet... damn shame.

Loakum

Banned
VxPht43.jpg

LGcc3xj.jpg

Jesus Christ, the Tower is something straight out of Hellraiser. The dude wears people's faces as decoration and his armor is attached directly to his skin, for fucks sake.

Yeah, he (it) would make a great cenobite. Kind of looks like a more powerful version of Chatterbox.

BigDug13

I really don't understand all the people that enjoy this but dislike AC. The mission design and structure, animations, combat (more or less, though closer to batman) and movement are all lifted straight from AC. The major addition is the nemesis system which makes this game worth picking up, but all the AC games have a unique hook too

I don't mean this as a slight against this game; I am a big AC fan and enjoy this game for what it is -- AC: LOTR

I don't know what it is. I enjoyed this game much more than AC. Maybe it's the supernatural nature of the abilities you unlock where AC is just " you unlocked having a second gun" or "you found a sword that does more damage" or maybe "now you get to shoot darts to make a guy go berzerk". Nothing like "take control of the mind of an Uruk Warchief and then make his head explode with the snap of a finger."

AC doesn't have anything like the weakness/strength system of bosses, hierarchy of them, runes for your weapons as loot, leveling system of bosses who get stronger by killing you. It's more than "just a hook" to me.

Malalaw

Just beat the game. It was a fun ride.

Minus the tower battle and the final battle. That was weak and pretty much ruined the rush I was on from steamrolling captains/warchiefs to get to that point. I mean really?

Arrrammis

Late story spoilers/after the game ends:
what happened to Lithariel and her mom? They disappeared...?

Talion warns them to leave, since Mordor is no longer safe and will get more dangerous with Sauron coming back, and Lithariel says they will. I assume the entire group moved out to somewhere safer.

I really don't understand all the people that enjoy this but dislike AC.

Terrible stories, laughable Animus stuff getting worse as the series continues, even more sticky animations where you can't move an inch without being sucked into climbing something, too much wandering around towns and having no say in slow, timed, follow missions.

Not saying this is without it's own flaws but I enjoyed it much more than the AC games.

Joco

Finally earned the platinum tonight. My final verdict is even with the lackluster story, the game was fantastic. Combat was a blast and the nemesis system really stole the show, and made Shadow of Mordor stand out. I really hope the game sells well enough to get a sequel, as this is a very solid start.

Now I'm just hoping for some quality (and lengthy) DLC. Also give us some Arkham-esque challenge rooms please, Monolith.

Oscar

Gamefly'd it.

8-10 hours in of mostly fooling around and I'm already at 40% (one story mission left).

Having a blast, but glad I didn't drop $60 on such a short game.

sangreal

I don't know what it is. I enjoyed this game much more than AC. Maybe it's the supernatural nature of the abilities you unlock where AC is just " you unlocked having a second gun" or "you found a sword that does more damage" or maybe "now you get to shoot darts to make a guy go berzerk". Nothing like "take control of the mind of an Uruk Warchief and then make his head explode with the snap of a finger."

fair enough. I did point out though that the nemesis system and all its counterparts is unique. I just don't see that as a major difference because all of the AC games have some similar hook whether it is pirate ships in AC:BF or the city and guild building of AC:BH

AC doesn't have anything like the weakness/strength system of bosses, hierarchy of them, runes for your weapons as loot, leveling system of bosses who get stronger by killing you. It's more than "just a hook" to me.

While I enjoy it, the system (as it relates to power level) really doesn't have any depth. You've described the full extent of it. If you die or fail a mission they gain strength. If you don't, they die -- only to come back later -- and you gain some points. By the time you reach the second map, there is no more difficulty in killing a power level 20 uruk than a power level 10. I enjoy it but I don't think it is any deeper (or even as deep) as the typical tertiary AC system

Terrible stories, laughable Animus stuff getting worse as the series continues

I agree that the AC story and out-of-animus nonsense is silly. I just think this game would fit perfectly as an in-animus LOTR sim. I would not bat an eye if it was labeled an AC game. I feel this complaint would be mitigated by using an adapted story like SOM does -- it isn't relevant to the gameplay.

even more sticky animations where you can't move an inch without being sucked into climbing something, too much wandering around towns and having no say in slow, timed, follow missions.

It works exactly the same way though, the only difference is the terrain is less dense than the AC cities

Not saying this is without it's own flaws but I enjoyed it much more than the AC games.

Not going to say what you should enjoy, I just think the flaws are largely shared between the games because the gameplay is incredibly similar with the exception of the unique nemesis system. Again, I don't meant this to be a bad thing for SOM because I like AC. I just don't understand how anyone can like one but not the other

AXE

So, I've spent 25 hours completing the collectibles. Finished the sword, the dagger and the bow. I've absolutely loved the game. It's not perfect, but I don't think I've actually had this much fun _playing_ a game since Resident Evil 4 or Bayonetta. I was just about ready to get going with the main story after getting to the second map.

Game updated today. Got reseted to 0%

I'm not exactly angry, but what the heckfire? Is this a know issue?

I mean, I can easily see myself starting all over after a week or two because this is such a great game. And I got the Season Pass and all. But what if this resets again?

I am disappoint.

EDIT: Uh, yeah. Sorry. I'm on PC and Steam. Haven't changed anything hardware or softwarewise. Even played the game this morning for a bit before leaving for a brunch. Had a moment just now before something and decided to hunt some orc just for the fun of it but as soon as I got the gamma setting prompt I knew something had happened.

Quoting myself like an orc.

I suggest people backup their saves on PC. Not sure if that's possible with a console. But on PC/Steam the path for the savefile is something like this: steam/userdata/*unique number*/241930/remote as indicated here. Don't think this is a widespread issue, but still, it's happening to some. Here there be notes.

Got a save file from the thread in my first link above - now I'll backup it to my desktop every time I quit playing.

On another matter: do we have any idea what kind of DLC we will be getting? I would love to get a huge package to upload the world - more different ruins, relics, flora and fauna, truly different type orcs, weather effects and such. Not that interested in a story module to be honest.

I keep thinking that Talion feels such an copy&paste character that I wouldn't be surprised if we'd find out that you played as an orc in the early design - plotting, causing chaos and rising through the ranks. Kinda almost like in GTA. Too bad that's not something you could market to a wider audience.

negitoro7

So I encountered a Captain today which could only go down either with fire or with a stealth kill. Getting my butt kicked while looking for nearby fire, I "drew him away" (more like I ran like a scared cat) from the stronghold while slowly picking off his pursuing horde one by one with arrows to the face, stopping to drain them for more elf-shots along the way. No fire in sight I could use.

Led him to a cliff which I climbed up and then Shadow Bow Killed an archer far away. Slowly crept back to the edge of the cliff and was finally able to stealth kill him from above. SO. DAMN. SATISFYING.

Haven't had this much fun in gaming in years.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Quoting myself like an orc.

I suggest people backup their saves on PC. Not sure if that's possible with a console. But on PC/Steam the path for the savefile is something like this: steam/userdata/*unique number*/241930/remote as indicated here. Don't think this is a widespread issue, but still, it's happening to some. Here there be notes.

Got a save file from the thread in my first link above - now I'll backup it to my desktop every time I quit playing.

On another matter: do we have any idea what kind of DLC we will be getting? I would love to get a huge package to upload the world - more different ruins, relics, flora and fauna, truly different type orcs, weather effects and such. Not that interested in a story module to be honest.

I keep thinking that Talion feels such an copy&paste character that I wouldn't be surprised if we'd find out that you played as an orc in the early design - plotting, causing chaos and rising through the ranks. Kinda almost like in GTA. Too bad that's not something you could market to a wider audience.

There's dozens of directions they could have taken the game, especially the Nemesis system. I get excited just thinking of all the different ways of using it.

Sigh.

Killed the bodyguards of a Warchief only to find out he's immune to combat attacks, stealth attacks, ranged attacks, and he easily kills monsters. So I can't even kill him with a caragor. It's like he has no weaknesses.

Horp

Sigh.

Killed the bodyguards of a Warchief only to find out he's immune to combat attacks, stealth attacks, ranged attacks, and he easily kills monsters. So I can't even kill him with a caragor. It's like he has no weaknesses.

So no weaknesses at all? Had a similar orc but he was weak to fire. Led him close to an exploding barrel. Fear -> Dominate.

Sigh.

If you can get him alone, just drain him over and over. Like hold B on gamepad. It takes chunks of their health and builds your combo.

If you can't get him alone, then dominate one of his bodyguards and order him to do a betrayal mission.

Alebelly

I really enjoyed
Ratbag, and the other storylines
through the first half, but I just got to narnia and the story seems deflated.

Regardless, enjoyable game

AXE

There's dozens of directions they could have taken the game, especially the Nemesis system. I get excited just thinking of all the different ways of using it.

Tell me about it!

I try not to get hyped over the DLC since we've had pretty big let-downs during the past year here and there. However, this game itself is such a peculiar surprise, that I can't but hope they have big plans for Middle-Earth -title.

Beyond the DLC I described above it would be absolutely fantastic if they'd expand the rune system somehow and push this more towards Diablo-type loot system based on repetition. Fine-tuning the runes through a wide array of random events and monsters in the world.

*drool*

I think the repetition formula would work extremely well since the game is just a joy to play. I mean, I love Diablos loot system, but the game isn't exactly very fun to play, per se. Bring the best of both worlds together!

You'd get materials or knowledge which with you could get services from few new NPCs to upgrade your gear/talents with. This game needs few strong NPC characters because if you don't do the main quests and focus on collecting stuff the world gets pretty lonely quickly.

romulus91

Gamefly'd it.

8-10 hours in of mostly fooling around and I'm already at 40% (one story mission left).

Having a blast, but glad I didn't drop $60 on such a short game.

you can also beat mario 64 in 2 hours ........... the story missions are not the bread and butter of the game to be fair... im about 20 hours in with 80 per cent done and will probably go another 5 or so..... definitely worth 60 IMO

So which power did everyone choose?

Storm of Ufrael
Flame of Azkar
Shadow of Acharn

I'm tempted by both Ufrael and Achran. Not sure which one to get as I doubt I'll get enough XP to unlock more than one any time soon.

cormack12

Gold Member
Regarding 'drain' ability - I'm not really into the game much, have I missed it? When I grab an Uruk I only get the option to 'interrogate' or kill. I'm at the following:

Killed some weird fire headed captain, then got the mission for the slave driver. Completed that then went wandering on the Gollum side mission. Other than that I've been doing survival challenges and just randomly killing uruks. Should I already have the 'drain' ability?

SJRB

Gold Member
So which power did everyone choose?

Storm of Ufrael
Flame of Azkar
Shadow of Acharn

I'm tempted by both Ufrael and Achran. Not sure which one to get as I doubt I'll get enough XP to unlock more than one any time soon.

I opted for Shadow of Acham first. It's amazing, you activate it when in stealth mode and you're in the Wraith world for 20 seconds, the world goes into super slow-motion and pressing square auto-stealthkills any Orc.

It's badass to run up to this huge group, activate it and just slit everyone's throat before they even realise what just happened.

It takes a long time to recharge though. You build meter by stealth-kills, but it takes quite a few kills. I have an epic rune that adds 50% more meter per kill and it still takes about 7 kills before the meter is recharged.

I opted for Shadow of Acham first. It's amazing, you activate it when in stealth mode and you're in the Wraith world for 20 seconds, the world goes into super slow-motion and pressing square auto-stealthkills any Orc.

It's badass to run up to this huge group, activate it and just slit everyone's throat before they even realise what just happened.

It takes a long time to recharge though. You build meter by stealth-kills, but it takes quite a few kills. I have an epic rune that adds 50% more meter per kill and it still takes about 7 kills before the meter is recharged.

Oooh, that sounds perfect for my current play-style.

Guess I'm going with Acharn. Thanks for the impressions.

Torraz

Got the game yesterday on PC. Really liking it. It runs quit well on my old rig.

My only complaint is that the shift + leftclick ground kills take a bit long, and you often have to abandon them mid-try for counters. On the other hand, it seems the developers want you to go for the 8 x combo executions.

How does saving work on the PC version? I never see any auto-saving icon or anything. How can I know when I can safely quit, without losing any progress?

Thanks!

Got the game yesterday on PC. Really liking it. It runs quit well on my old rig.

My only complaint is that the shift + leftclick ground kills take a bit long, and you often have to abandon them mid-try for counters. On the other hand, it seems the developers want you to go for the 8 x combo executions.

How does saving work on the PC version? I never see any auto-saving icon or anything. How can I know when I can safely quit, without losing any progress?

Thanks!

It's automatically saving every notable bit of progress. So you can safely quit at any time, I believe.

And shift + leftclick? Dude, you should get a gamepad for these sorts of games...

Torraz

It's automatically saving every notable bit of progress. So you can safely quit at any time, I believe.

And shift + leftclick? Dude, you should get a gamepad for these sorts of games...

I have a 360 wired gamepad, and actually prefer using it for these kind of games, but I found my bow accuracy to be very bad, compared to using M+KB.

Thanks!

There is an upgrade for that which reduces the time needed to succesfully ground excute.

All of them !

Turns out I was able to get two thanks to clearing out some unwanted runes and doing some weapons challenges. Will check back for the box upgrade, but I'm pretty happy with the others. The execution is crazy OP. Haven't tried the stealth variant yet.

Anyway, I've hit a dead end of sorts. In my pursuit to brand five warchiefs, one has ended up dead. So I'm stuck with 4/5 and there doesn't appear to be any way to get one of the branded captains to take his place?

Is this a bug? Please don't tell me I have to start over again...

Turns out I was able to get two thanks to clearing out some unwanted runes and doing some weapons challenges. Will check back for the box upgrade, but I'm pretty happy with the others. The execution is crazy OP. Haven't tried the stealth variant yet.

Anyway, I've hit a dead end of sorts. In my pursuit to brand five warchiefs, one has ended up dead. So I'm stuck with 4/5 and there doesn't appear to be any way to get one of the branded captains to take his place?

Is this a bug? Please don't tell me I have to start over again...

Go to a tower and advance time?

Spineker

Banned
Just finished the main campaign.

Everything from The Tower to the end of the game felt rushed as fuck. You can almost see the writers block happening and instead of padding the game out with mundane filler, they decided to just skip straight to the final boss, which itself was fucking lame.

The story overall was pretty meh but the game itself is too awesome to rubbish too much. However the campaign was bad enough that what was a favorite for my GOTY became just another contender.

Ok guys some advice please. I've killed one war chief
just the one that promotes ratbag
but I'm seriously struggling with the rest. Is it worth spending some time completing the side quests and levelling up a bit before trying again? If so which ones should I focus on? I haven't got the branding thing yet (just drain).

Spineker

Banned
Ok guys some advice please. I've killed one war chief
just the one that promotes ratbag
but I'm seriously struggling with the rest. Is it worth spending some time completing the side quests and levelling up a bit before trying again? If so which ones should I focus on? I haven't got the branding thing yet (just drain).

Murder some Bodyguards.

Torraz

Are some of the side missions only available for a limited time? I just unlocked a "resistance" quest. In the description it says something like "save the slaves before they are killed". Is this only flavor text, or is there an actual time limit?

Top Bottom