• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor |OT| One Title to rule them all

Last mission:
Wow, why was it so easy? And it was all QTE. Its was like they wanted the game to end as quickly as possible at that point. Otherwise a fantastic game. Very entertaining.

Last mission:
Wow, why was it so easy? And it was all QTE. Its was like they wanted the game to end as quickly as possible at that point. Otherwise a fantastic game. Very entertaining.

Yeah, that was a bit of a letdown, but the
5 vs. 5 battle royal just before that more than made up for the lackluster finale
. So much fun, that was.

Dead

well not really...yet
Kept running into this douche ork that i kept killing through the magic hand flame thing. Dude was pissed at my "sorcery"

Popped his head on the third encounter :lol

Im amazed ive yet to hear a single repeated line from any Orc captain or warchief

Late to the party, I just picked this up earlier today. Damn if this game isn't fun. I'm only a few hours in. It's going to be great once i'm able to unlock the better abilities. If anyone wants to add me for the vendetta missions my gamertag is: jukeboxtimebomb

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
This games starting to piss me off the way Talion moves.

Wanted to run away from a battle, but instead he just stutters, so I die.

EDIT: Got my revenge.

AXE

So, I've spent 25 hours completing the collectibles. Finished the sword, the dagger and the bow. I've absolutely loved the game. It's not perfect, but I don't think I've actually had this much fun _playing_ a game since Resident Evil 4 or Bayonetta. I was just about ready to get going with the main story after getting to the second map.

Game updated today. Got reseted to 0%

I'm not exactly angry, but what the heckfire? Is this a know issue?

I mean, I can easily see myself starting all over after a week or two because this is such a great game. And I got the Season Pass and all. But what if this resets again?

I am disappoint.

EDIT: Uh, yeah. Sorry. I'm on PC and Steam. Haven't changed anything hardware or softwarewise. Even played the game this morning for a bit before leaving for a brunch. Had a moment just now before something and decided to hunt some orc just for the fun of it but as soon as I got the gamma setting prompt I knew something had happened.

Calabi

Just bought this for PC, it looks good and runs great. I can see some of the complaints with the combat though, I doubt I could die in it, I may have to die on purpose a few times.

Sillverrr

PM me for 27% off the Season Pass discount voucher at Green Man Gaming.

I presume it works for everyone, even though I got it through Playfire. Apologies in advance if it doesn't. Anyway, I don't need it as I already have it.

Torraz

Would an AMD 5770 be able to run this? According to the system requirements lab site it would need an AMD 5850, but the difference does not seem that great?

The rest of my specs exceed the minimum ones.

I really liked the game, but I feel that the Nemesis system really isn't served well via the Assassin's Creed style gameplay that Monolith built around it. Nemesis wants to be a always running, evolutionary simulation that is player influenced (but NOT player controlled) that generates powerful foes to fight, and the player gets more uber through those fights.

I would have much preferred if they had built the game out of some of the things Far Cry hints at but Ubi is too chickenshit to make happen- territorial control and strongholds that can fluidly change sides on a big open map, with the Nemesis system providing both combat vs. the player's forces as well as between factions, and performing a simulation for more Uruks than it does currently. As is, the game is at its high when you are in a stronghold area and are fighting nasty named Uruks, and at its lows when you are doing QTEs , story missions, or grabbing random collectibles.

Clegg

I've done 9 out of 10 sword legends but there's no indicator on my map for the 10th one. Do I have to unlock a new ability before the last legend becomes available?

Would an AMD 5770 be able to run this? According to the system requirements lab site it would need an AMD 5850, but the difference does not seem that great?

The rest of my specs exceed the minimum ones.

I have the game setup on 2 PCs. The one I've been playing on more is my weaker computer (but the more ideal location for long time game play) it's an AMD A6-5400K dual core at 3.6ghz and a 5770.

At 1680x1050 resolution, I run the game on a mix of medium and low settings and get 30-40fps on average. Not quite PS4 quality, but it looks a lot better than anything the PS360 will pull off when their versions are out :)

I've done 9 out of 10 sword legends but there's no indicator on my map for the 10th one. Do I have to unlock a new ability before the last legend becomes available?

You should see an icon that looks like a lock (instead of a sword). It will tell you what ability you need to unlock it. I think it's the domination/head explodey one.

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
I take it the content which is out on the market place isn't all available now from the Season Pass?

The Captain of the Watch and Hidden Blade Rune dlc keeps showing Unavailable. I expected out of everything those to be available now and other things at a later date or is my system glitching out?

Torraz

I have the game setup on 2 PCs. The one I've been playing on more is my weaker computer (but the more ideal location for long time game play) it's an AMD A6-5400K dual core at 3.6ghz and a 5770.

At 1680x1050 resolution, I run the game on a mix of medium and low settings and get 30-40fps on average. Not quite PS4 quality, but it looks a lot better than anything the PS360 will pull off when their versions are out :)

You should see an icon that looks like a lock (instead of a sword). It will tell you what ability you need to unlock it. I think it's the domination/head explodey one.

Thanks. I also have a PS4, but the pc version seems to be a bit cheaper. On the other hand, I have a bigger screen connected to the PS 4...

SJRB

Gold Member
I really liked the game, but I feel that the Nemesis system really isn't served well via the Assassin's Creed style gameplay that Monolith built around it. Nemesis wants to be a always running, evolutionary simulation that is player influenced (but NOT player controlled) that generates powerful foes to fight, and the player gets more uber through those fights.

I would have much preferred if they had built the game out of some of the things Far Cry hints at but Ubi is too chickenshit to make happen- territorial control and strongholds that can fluidly change sides on a big open map, with the Nemesis system providing both combat vs. the player's forces as well as between factions, and performing a simulation for more Uruks than it does currently. As is, the game is at its high when you are in a stronghold area and are fighting nasty named Uruks, and at its lows when you are doing QTEs , story missions, or grabbing random collectibles.

That's something a sequel might provide. Making this game was a pretty big risk, and there wasn't a lot of interest from gamers until extremely late into development.

I can image them not going all-out with the system because they weren't sure the game would be a success. But now that it is, the sequel should be much more in-depth.

lmbotiva

any place to get the game on PC for cheap other than GMG, is currently 40 there with the coupon but im looking to get it for less

You need Wraith Finisher for this to unlock (That is you already unlocked Execution aka Combat Finisher, which I assume you did).

any place to get the game on PC for cheap other than GMG, is currently 40 there with the coupon but im looking to get it for less

Try the community B/S/T thread

lmbotiva

You need Wraith Finisher for this to unlock (That is you already unlocked Execution aka Combat Finisher, which I assume you did).

Try the community B/S/T thread

i did, went back at least 5 pages and nothing :(, i have the game on ps4 and is a blast to play but the amount of motion blur gives me a headache, so i need the pc version so i can disable it

Really wish the game had one more gear, like some commands for controlled orcs. Some Battalion Wars-style RTS stuff would have made this one of my favorite games of all time

The real Shadow of Mordor starts here.

Totally disagree. Branding was the worst part for me. By the time I got to it, it wasn't needed. I certainly didn't need any help in fights, no matter how large. Which is why, with the silly extremes Talion's power got too, it just felt like un-necessary filler to lengthen the game.

Other than fooling around with giving death threats and getting easy intel, I'm not sure why the feature is so popular.

You really don't realize how beautiful this game is until you reach the second map, holy smokes it's real nice looking.

I also continue to be amazed at the crazy variety in how the orc captains/warchiefs look. 15 hours into the game and I still come across ones that look nothing like any I've seen before. It's super impressive.

kencey

How many achievements are there for steam? I completed 50 but it's showing 50/51 ??!
Bug ?

edit: one main-story achievement bugged when i did my first playthrough, now i have to do it again with another save-game. sigh

Started playing this last night, really tremendous. I died within 20 minutes because I played it as a regular action game and tried to macho my way into everything. Every detail is superb, Monolith is truly a special developer.

That being said, does the camera feel a little 'off' to anyone else? Maybe it's because I was playing 3 FPS before this game, but the camera here feels a little rigid.

cormack12

Gold Member
That being said, does the camera feel a little 'off' to anyone else? Maybe it's because I was playing 3 FPS before this game, but the camera here feels a little rigid.

I agree with the camera, especially when you start getting into battles with the caragors, it becomes easy to lose sight of enemies too easily and as a result their attack markers. I think it's not so much rigid as just too close to the character, would have benefited from being pulled a few yards further back.

The QTE's are horrid, I thought Castlevania's were the worst but these are quite grim as well. I think this is a result of some input lag as well though. It's hit and miss whether the 'x' to dodge is recognised, and even at the abandon quest O or retry X menu, you have to wait a second then depress it with care. Only seems to affect specific encounter types though, like caragors and the retry mission screen. Odd.

Aside from the niggles, I think it's great. Sort of learning as I go - there's a lot of controls and mechanisms for an action-RPG. You can't just battle your way through 4/5 orcs - you will be cut down quite easily. About an hour in either way. Really looking forward to where it goes :)

Ok I've just had my first rage quit on this game. Was doing so well, killed a bunch of captains and a few of the elite captains then thought I could take on the war chiefs. Christ how hard are they!? Now I've died a bunch of times, all the fucking captains are back again and the elite captains are power level 16. Such bullshit.

Edit: ok I've calmed down but still those War Chiefs are ridiculous.

Carbonox

Platinum done.

Level 25 Rune one required some planning to ensure I didn't get an Epic Rune despite giving the Warchief a Death Threat. Branded 3 of his followers so they killed him for me. He had no fears but was weak to ranged and finisher abilities so all of those on top of having killed me and being level 20 ensured I got the Rune.

Thoroughly enjoyed the game overall. Shit story but Celebrimbor is awesome and would love to see more of him.

Thoroughly enjoyed the game overall. Shit story but Celebrimbor is awesome and would love to see more of him.

Yeah, the story didn't really do much for me, either. It was purely the gameplay that kept me at it. And the
battle toward the end where you and your branded warchiefs go up against the Black Hand was soooo much fun.

SJRB

Gold Member
Man FUCK getting killed by Caragors. The counter QTE timer is way, WAY too narrow.

It's such a shitty way to die.

negitoro7

Ok I've just had my first rage quit on this game. Was doing so well, killed a bunch of captains and a few of the elite captains then thought I could take on the war chiefs. Christ how hard are they!? Now I've died a bunch of times, all the fucking captains are back again and the elite captains are power level 16. Such bullshit.

Edit: ok I've calmed down but still those War Chiefs are ridiculous.

Agreed, I've just barely fluked my way to killing one of the 'chiefs out of the 4. Not looking forward to taking the others on. But damn was it satisfying, which keeps me coming back for more.

Does the second map unlock after killing the warchiefs?

worst ending/"boss" EVER

EVER

got my plat, will probably mess around with my orcs

Bzs6GhlCUAE73Fy.jpg:orig

Yeah, the story didn't really do much for me, either. It was purely the gameplay that kept me at it. And the
battle toward the end where you and your branded warchiefs go up against the Black Hand was soooo much fun.

I just stand there and watch my awesome army knock them all out with not even one loss XD.

I just stand there and watch my awesome army knock them all out with not even one loss XD.

I probably could have, but I wanted to participate a little bit. I managed to
take out two of them on my own, then my Warchiefs took out the other three all within ten seconds of each other. XD

SJRB

Gold Member
VxPht43.jpg

LGcc3xj.jpg

Jesus Christ, the Tower is something straight out of Hellraiser. The dude wears people's faces as decoration and his armor is attached directly to his skin, for fucks sake.

Carbonox

VxPht43.jpg

LGcc3xj.jpg

Jesus Christ, the Tower is something straight out of Hellraiser. The dude wears people's faces as decoration and his armor is attached directly to his skin, for fucks sake.

The Tower's design is fantastic. It comes across as way too hardcore for anything to do with LOTR. :lol He's much more intimidating and scary than the other two guys and needed increased screen time.

Elixist

FINALLY I CAN BRAND

i know those feels bro.

ive been up and down on this game, i wish the overall backbone of the game was like a Dark Souls instead of "ubisoft template", but ive decided to just love it for what it is and its alot of fun. anyone else noticed theres some Dishonored ish stuff in here as well with some of the spirit world / dash sound effects and what not? and the dash mechanic is so fuckin gamey i love it. got to hop over a pebble to get my proc lol.

BigDug13

When I first heard about this system, I envisioned actually being able to see a captain from one territory with his crew attacking another captain's stronghold to take over. I didn't know it was "stuff resolves itself when you die or pass the time". It's still fun, but it seems like a system that could be so much more than it ended up being.

AllenShrz

Why is this game so good?!

I bought it on impulse buy since Driveclub servers are not working and and I LOVE IT!

I dont even know why.... I dont like AC games but this one, I cant stop playing it.

sangreal

I really don't understand all the people that enjoy this but dislike AC. The mission design and structure, animations, combat (more or less, though closer to batman) and movement are all lifted straight from AC. The major addition is the nemesis system which makes this game worth picking up, but all the AC games have a unique hook too

I don't mean this as a slight against this game; I am a big AC fan and enjoy this game for what it is -- AC: LOTR

Top Bottom